Tourist Trip to Titanic Terribly Turns Tragic

MrBig

2 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

Whomever heard any part of that pitch, the video, saw the video game controller, then consciously paid $250k for a tourist expedition, absolutely deserves to die.

c4c91558-985d-4608-b953-6a887e32274a_tex

2 hours ago, Deej said:

The same type of people who heard Steve Patterson’s pitch and paid him.

Too soon…

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

The pressure transient would knock you out if not kill you first.  You wouldn't even have time to feel that water

Yep.  You become instantaneous diesel fuel until the water snuffs out the combustion.  If I were ever in a sub that was incapacitated,I would pray that it’s in water that exceeds crush depth.  Hot and fast is way better than cold and slow when it comes to inevitable death.  

29 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm thinking that submersible paid itself off the first time somebody gave them $250,000 to go down in it.

Well those on board are worth billions, so hope they are paying for the recovery. Lot of USCG and Canadian assets out hunting. 

Maybe @FartingMonk and other submariners can chime in, but these people are basically fucked unless they are at the surface floating somewhere waiting to be found, right? 

They’re far below any military submarine crush depth and the special  research vehicles that are used to get down that far just can’t throw out a towline and haul you back up. Or operate with any kind of finesse to attach a tow line from the surface, right? Even if they find you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Maybe @FartingMonk and other submariners can chime in, but these people are basically fucked unless they are at the surface floating somewhere waiting to be found, right? 

They’re far below any military submarine crush depth and the special  research vehicles that are used to get down that far just can’t throw out a towline and haul you back up. Or operate with any kind of finesse to attach a tow line from the surface, right? Even if they find you. 

Yes from what I’m guessing anything that’s gonna make it down there can just wave at them.  And that would be the appropriate way to go after getting in that POS.  

3 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Well those on board are worth billions, so hope they are paying for the recovery. Lot of USCG and Canadian assets out hunting. 

USCG and Canadian assets should pay treefidy to go on the expedition to view the submersible with the dead billionaires on it.

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I would like to imagine that we have something capable of retrieving things down that deep, but if we did the official story would be that the submarine was found on the surface somewhere. 

The latest open literature says that a US Los Angeles-class test depth is 450m (1,500 ft), suggesting a maximum depth of 675–900m (2,250–3,000 ft). This is a submarine with a pressure hull made of HY-80 high-tensile steel. The latest American sub is said to be constructed of HY-100, so they can certainly go deeper. Some Soviet/Russian subs use Titanium (stronger but more brittle than steel). The first one, Project 705 (Лира/Lira, “Lyre”) class (NATO “Alfa”) is known to have gone to 1,000m (3,300 ft), suggesting a maximum depth of 1,500–2,000m (5,000–6,600 ft). Later classes (such as Project 945B Kondor — NATO Sierra II) can probably go at least that deep.

The depth limits of the most known nuclear powered submarines’ depth limits, as follows;

Typhoon-class: Test depth 900 m (3,000 ft)
Astute-class: Over 300 m (984 ft 3 in)
Akula-class: 480 m (1,570 ft) test depth for Akula I and Akula I Improved, 520 m (1,710 ft) for Akula II and III, 600 m (2,000 ft) maximum operating depth
Ohio-class: Test depth >240 m (800+ ft)
Virginia-class: Test depth >240 m (800+ ft)
Borei-class: Test depth 950 m
Rubis-class: Test depth 350 m
Barracuda-class: Test depth >350 m

Just found this. siap Camping World?

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, RPM said:

The latest open literature says that a US Los Angeles-class test depth is 450m (1,500 ft), suggesting a maximum depth of 675–900m (2,250–3,000 ft). This is a submarine with a pressure hull made of HY-80 high-tensile steel. The latest American sub is said to be constructed of HY-100, so they can certainly go deeper. Some Soviet/Russian subs use Titanium (stronger but more brittle than steel). The first one, Project 705 (Лира/Lira, “Lyre”) class (NATO “Alfa”) is known to have gone to 1,000m (3,300 ft), suggesting a maximum depth of 1,500–2,000m (5,000–6,600 ft). Later classes (such as Project 945B Kondor — NATO Sierra II) can probably go at least that deep.

The depth limits of the most known nuclear powered submarines’ depth limits, as follows;

Typhoon-class: Test depth 900 m (3,000 ft)
Astute-class: Over 300 m (984 ft 3 in)
Akula-class: 480 m (1,570 ft) test depth for Akula I and Akula I Improved, 520 m (1,710 ft) for Akula II and III, 600 m (2,000 ft) maximum operating depth
Ohio-class: Test depth >240 m (800+ ft)
Virginia-class: Test depth >240 m (800+ ft)
Borei-class: Test depth 950 m
Rubis-class: Test depth 350 m
Barracuda-class: Test depth >350 m

Just found this. siap Camping World?

They should have named the Ohio class sub after a better state.  That sub is a bad motherfucker, it deserves better.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Lego collection is pretty sweet…

The thread on the below tweet is interesting (like I get it these five people are fucked…even if they are still alive they will run out of air at like 7 am EST Thursday…)

Yeah. There's no fucking way they find these people unless they make it back up themselves. There's a reason we have the surface of Mars more accurately mapped than the bottom of the ocean. There's nothing down there but blackness.

I get that they're 2.5 miles +/- down, but wouldn't a tether seem to make sense for an untested vehicle?  Or does that just make way too much sense?

EDIT:  All deep-water ROV's have to be tethered, as radio communication can't penetrate those depths to operate and direct them?

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah. There's no fucking way they find these people unless they make it back up themselves. There's a reason we have the surface of Mars more accurately mapped than the bottom of the ocean. There's nothing down there but blackness.

sounds like systemic racism talking

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

I'm going to take a different tack here.  Just on the off chance you are all wrong. Then I can gloat and say "told you so" to a bunch of internet strangers.

Right now some politician is opening a letter at his desk that says something like "I'm going to engage the silent propulsion drive and give the boat to the Russians."  These boys are running Red Route One through Thor's twins, with their half-filled piss bags and xbox joystick and the US coast guard isn't on a rescue mission, it's driving them.  

When this whole thing ends there's going to be some bullshit story about the boat was lost at sea but, about 5 years from now, we'll see some Russian made item that shares technology with that sub and we'll know the truth - the rooskies got the boat and stole the advanced technology.

Amirite?

• Haha 7

9 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I get that they're 2.5 miles +/- down, but wouldn't a tether seem to make sense for an untested vehicle?  Or does that just make way too much sense?

EDIT:  All deep-water ROV's have to be tethered, as radio communication can't penetrate those depths to operate and direct them?

I'm going to assume that the ocean there has something called ocean currents, and the strain on the "tether" imposed by those ocean currents would be substantial when you spooled out 2 miles worth.  Maybe so substantial that your sub just did this on the end of the tether --------------0, downstream. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoTex said:

I'm going to assume that the ocean there has something called ocean currents, and the strain on the "tether" imposed by those ocean currents would be substantial when you spooled out 2 miles worth.  Maybe so substantial that your sub just did this on the end of the tether --------------0, downstream. 

I also wonder how you would haul around 13,000 ft of cable that is strong enough to support 23,000 lbs.

• Like 1