The Sound of Freedom

Celery Man

Opened #1 in Texas, Florida, and Arizona. Based on a (totally) true story.

https://slate.com/culture/2023/07/sound-of-freedom-movie-jim-caviezel-trafficking-qanon.html

I'm sure a million people did go see this (and will soon allude to it in DT) but this is just good grifting - 

Effective anti-trafficking work may not have starring roles, but OUR’s stories do, and so does Sound of Freedom. In a “special message” that ran over the movie’s closing credits, Caviezel addressed the audience directly, on his way to pitching the “Pay It Forward” program that, by allowing moviegoers to buy advance tickets for others while they were still in the theater, allowed Sound of Freedom to leap to the top of the box office on its opening day, surpassing Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny. (“WE BEAT DISNEY,” crowed Pizzagate promulgator Jack Posobiec.) “Sound of Freedom is a hero’s tale,” Caviezel said, “but I’m not talking about the character I play. It’s the heroic brother and sister in this film who work to save each other. They are the true heroes.”

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

The crowds seem to going to the film just to show the libs.

Very impressive marketing strategy to push viewers to buy tickets for others. Some MAGAts and QAnons are absolutely buying tickets for their friends and families, because by-God they need to see this documentary. (I know it's not a documentary.)  You know that some husbands are telling their wives they ain't going to the movies this weekend and they don't care that her father spent $100s buying tickets for everyone.

• Haha 3

so a family member was talking to me about this. this family member is pretty conservative, pretty much a wide-eyed christian who is also maga. it's weird. a very good person, but full of strange contradictions. 

anyways, because of this, i'm usually suspect when he comes all wide-eyed about something important, like this movie hitting number one. my antennae went up when he mentioned jim caviezal, because of the whole jesus thing, but i dismissed that as role bias.

then he got into how it was about human trafficking, etc, and i was thinking hmm, maybe it's one of those hyper-patriotic types of things that will ultimately be ironic because immigration politics vs trafficking, but i didn't feel like breaking anyone's brain, much less my own, so i just set it aside.

however, i've seen it going around, and now i'm fully on guard that this is somehow dangerous. i don't even know how, but i feel like i need to know how they are going to weaponize human trafficking to make life worse for undesirable people.

fucking hell.

fuck.

FUCK.

• Rage+1 1

When I first heard of this movie, I was certain that it must be about Dem politicians kidnapping children to drink their blood. Not at all. Apparently its all about child trafficking in Latin America. While I have no idea of the scope of child trafficking in Latin American countries, I assume it's greater than zero.

However let's look at the hypocrisy of those flocking to the theaters. They don't give one crap about Latin American victims. We're putting buoys up to keep refugees them out.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

so a family member was talking to me about this. this family member is pretty conservative, pretty much a wide-eyed christian who is also maga. it's weird. a very good person, but full of strange contradictions. 

anyways, because of this, i'm usually suspect when he comes all wide-eyed about something important, like this movie hitting number one. my antennae went up when he mentioned jim caviezal, because of the whole jesus thing, but i dismissed that as role bias.

then he got into how it was about human trafficking, etc, and i was thinking hmm, maybe it's one of those hyper-patriotic types of things that will ultimately be ironic because immigration politics vs trafficking, but i didn't feel like breaking anyone's brain, much less my own, so i just set it aside.

however, i've seen it going around, and now i'm fully on guard that this is somehow dangerous. i don't even know how, but i feel like i need to know how they are going to weaponize human trafficking to make life worse for undesirable people.

fucking hell.

fuck.

FUCK.

I haven't talked to any people in my circle who are similarly touched but as soon as I saw some headline about this (the movie about child trafficking that hollywood didn't want you to see hit #1) the alarms started blaring. I imagine there will be a lot of folks here who have encounters similar to the one you've described.

I don't understand the whole thing with pedophile child traffickers and how it relates to the broader tapestry of right wing brainworm conspiracy rabbit holes, but I know that it absolutely does. If anyone has explored that whole thing and can better explain, I'd love to understand that better. It obviously ties nicely into the "the government will take your children if you don't let them reassign their gender" bullshit, but it clearly is... much deeper than that.

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

When I first heard of this movie, I was certain that it must be about Dem politicians kidnapping children to drink their blood. Not at all. Apparently its all about child trafficking in Latin America. While I have no idea of the scope of child trafficking in Latin American countries, I assume it's greater than zero.

However let's look at the hypocrisy of those flocking to the theaters. They don't give one crap about Latin American victims. We're putting buoys up to keep refugees them out.

yeah absolutely - this has to be part of the whole deal. who would not be against child trafficking, are you denying that it happens? etc. And yet it is very clearly disconnected from reality and crafted to manipulate people who are easy to manipulate. To what end?

you know what it reminds me of?  the he gets us jesus commercials.

they SEEM well meaning, but the people that tout them are suspect. 

there has to be something wrong there, too.

i can't identify it, but i can feel the manipulation under the surface.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I posted this in the Musk thread. Caviezel is bonkers

ah yep there it is 

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

you know what it reminds me of?  the he gets us jesus commercials.

they SEEM well meaning, but the people that tout them are suspect. 

there has to be something wrong there, too.

i can't identify it, but i can feel the manipulation under the surface.

i've had the same feeling about that campaign - it seems somewhat cleverly marketed, feels like they are trying to get engagement from regular non-touched people, but I haven't looked into it enough to figure out if it's just people trying to.... do some actual gospel based evangelical stuff or if it is some political thing coming out of what has become of mainstream Christianity.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

jesus christ, everything i hear from this family member is just gilded shit.

I've got a bunch of them. They like to talk a lot about their political and social issues views. What they don't like is when I encourage them to keep that shit to themselves. "Please stop texting me stupid memes about how senile Biden is, when I've never heard you say one negative word about any member of the republican party, including Trump, ever." 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

ah yep there it is 

i've had the same feeling about that campaign - it seems somewhat cleverly marketed, feels like they are trying to get engagement from regular non-touched people, but I haven't looked into it enough to figure out if it's just people trying to.... do some actual gospel based evangelical stuff or if it is some political thing coming out of what has become of mainstream Christianity.

the thing that made me suspect was that the immigration one in particular got to me. that's what this movie is kind of cloaked in, like you alluded to earlier - it's child trafficking! surely you aren't FOR DRINKING ADRENOCHREME FROM BABIES YOU VAMPIRE.

but the fact that i saw that commercial, and nodded like "hey, yeah, that actually made sense" made my "being sold some bullshit scam" spidey sense tingle. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I've got a bunch of them. They like to talk a lot about their political and social issues views. What they don't like is when I encourage them to keep that shit to themselves. "Please stop texting me stupid memes about how senile Biden is, when I've never heard you say one negative word about any member of the republican party, including Trump, ever." 

this person has tempered it a bit, but he tries from all kinds of angles, this movie being the most recent. now that i'm seeing behind the curtain, this movie looks like nutter shit, and makes me feel a bit like all the patriot afghanistan war movie stuff - just a bit dirty.

it all feels scummy, like you are  being had. it's a lot like the feeling i got when a cab driver in athens basically switched my 50 euro note with a 10 when i looked away. i knew something was wrong but we were at the airport and shit was happening so fast, and i must have given him a 10, so here's another 50 and keep the change. then you get all your shit out of the cab, ready to fly to crete, and you look in your wallet and you fucking know that guy just stole from you. you knew something was wrong at the time, but you couldn't place your finger on just what was wrong, because you're a decent person and it would never occur to you to just boldly steal somebody's money like that.

that's the creepy vibe i'm getting from all this.

I have no doubt child trafficking is happening at a horrifying level. you know who is very unlikely to participate in such a thing? bleeding-heart liberals. like all other things that are untrue but somehow get foisted on more liberal-minded people, every accusation is a confession. tends to go hand-in-hand with people who profess to be christian commit the most crimes in this world.  If I wanted to find out who is funding human trafficking in South America (or likely here - this is a smokescreen) I would start with whomever funding this film.

• Hook 'Em 2

Also, for actual facts about OUR, Vice has done some good reporting on them, with this being the latest. A small sample:

As VICE News has previously reported, a number of OUR’s claims about its work are dramatically overstated or without clear documentary evidence. People who have volunteered for OUR have raised concerns that it could actually have been creating demand for trafficking victims, by going to foreign countries on undercover “missions” that, at times, have seemed to consist of walking around bars and sex clubs asking for underage girls. The organization's support for law enforcement has at times been wildly exaggerated and involved OUR taking credit for agencies’ operations after making relatively trivial donations, and its much-touted aftercare program for survivors has at times involved things like placing women with unqualified providers and even fabricating a college graduation ceremony. 

In another story uncovered by VICE News, OUR heavily marketed its role in the rescue of “Liliana,” a young trafficking survivor, with Ballard telling a fanciful story about this rescue in Congressional testimony and in op-eds and media appearances in which he called for a border wall. She in fact rescued herself, and did not meet OUR representatives until years after she’d done so, when she was preparing to testify against her traffickers in court. The organization led a bizarre, blundering attempted rescue on the Haiti-Dominican Republic border based on intelligence sourced from a Utah psychic medium. (The same psychic went on to work as an executive director for an OUR-backed group, an adoption grant organization called Children Need Families, founded by Ballard’s wife Katherine.) Meanwhile, OUR’s sister organization the Nazarene Fund, founded by right-wing media personality Glenn Beck, claimed without a lot of direct evidence to have evacuated endangered people from minority religious groups out of Afghanistan during the chaotic period after the U.S. withdrawal from the country. And in a more minor, and weirder, incident, Ballard recently claimed that OUR was “collaborating” with American Airlines, which was also not true in the sense that most people would understand it; the organization bought an ad with a third-party service that airs programming on some American flights. 

These people are blatant frauds who may have accidentally done some good a few times, basically. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

He was also in The Count of Monte Cristo.

dumbass-heywood.gif

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

surely you aren't FOR DRINKING ADRENOCHREME FROM BABIES YOU VAMPIRE.

I REALLY wish someone would ask me this because I absolutely would respond in the affirmative.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I REALLY wish someone would ask me this because I absolutely would respond in the affirmative.

The adrenochreme tastes best if it's from girl babies, too.  Especially if they have blonde hair.

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

The adrenochreme tastes best if it's from girl babies, too.  Especially if they have blonde hair.

As a producer, the eternal question is do you harvest at 2 years when the flavor is best, or do you wait until 10 years when the harvest is more bountiful?  With market pricing as volatile as it is, it’s a tough call. 

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

ah yep there it is 

The He Gets Us campaign is by the group Ted Cruz's dad is in...Dominion? or something.  Basically, off the rail lunatics wanting their flavor of religion to rule all governments.

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I have no doubt child trafficking is happening at a horrifying level. you know who is very unlikely to participate in such a thing? bleeding-heart liberals. like all other things that are untrue but somehow get foisted on more liberal-minded people, every accusation is a confession. tends to go hand-in-hand with people who profess to be christian commit the most crimes in this world.  If I wanted to find out who is funding human trafficking in South America (or likely here - this is a smokescreen) I would start with whomever funding this film.

I don’t know what level child trafficking is occurring and whether the volume has changed over time. Don’t get me wrong, one incident is horrifying but is it getting worse? I would think it was worse in earlier American history than today but who knows. I am sure that I don’t believe the QAnon folks who say 1 million US kids disappear each year. At that level, the odds of making it to 18 unkidnapped would be low.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don’t know what level child trafficking is occurring and whether the volume has changed over time. Don’t get me wrong, one incident is horrifying but is it getting worse? I would think it was worse in earlier American history than today but who knows. I am sure that I don’t believe the QAnon folks who say 1 million US kids disappear each year. At that level, the odds of making it 18 unkidnapped would be low.

yeah, that would be 1/73 children in the US. I think if one kid from every other middle school class disappeared every single year I think some people would fucking notice. 

3 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

yeah, that would be 1/73 children in the US. I think if one kid from every other middle school class disappeared every single year I think some people would fucking notice. 

Some people are noticing, LF68. And it is about time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

fuck, I forgot this adrenochrome nonsense started from Hunter S Thompson. that crazy fuck sure left us a mess to clean up. he's probably laughing about it right now. prick

It didn't actually start with him.  I think this was discussed in another thread, but it's been around for quite a while.  Of course, it wasn't able to metastasize without social media and insane people.

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

fucking hell.

fuck.

FUCK.

The leaders/manipulators of the insane Maga right chose a strategy to attract suburban women to their power base: scare the fuck out of them about their kids. CRT. Grooming. Denying trans minors any real medical help because they want us to believe the whole thing is a scam or passing fancy.

Your post is absolutely on target all the way down to the last FUCK. 

In other contexts, I've recalled reading decades ago about how Americans beginning to think of themselves as taxpayers rather than citizens was a big turning point for the country. It degrades the ability to even consider something other than personal cost. I never imagined it would lead to this. Failure of my imagination.

They are trying to take my money with taxes. They want to turn us into a nanny/slave state. They hate our great country. They are the enemy. Who is the enemy? I'll quote Pink Floyd The Wall:

The queens and the coons and the reds and the Jews.

I'll repeat this reference yet again. Stick with it to the very end to hear Michael York's question:

ETA And Joel Grey's knowing nod. Absolute genius. Fosse knew the world.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Who could have guessed that the guy Mel Gibson cast to play Jesus would turn out to be batshit crazy?

I've read about Caviezel in the past back when he was on Person of Interest. Like Gibson he is a really devout Catholic with Pre-vatican II grievances. From what I understand, he is basically Mel Gibson on acid.