Kamala Harris 2023

StassneyHorn

Can’t believe we didn’t follow up the riveting 2020, 2021, and 2022 threads. 

Yet here we are now, July 13,2023, and she has become the most effectual change agent to ever occupy the position in the White House. Dick Cheney can’t say that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, tigol said:

Someone say some thinly veiled racist shit so we can save some time.

Well if Harris would get her lazy black butt up, she woulda broken the record by now!

-Uh, she's also half Tamil

Then tell the mutha fucking Captain to get her ass on up outta here with this shit.  She ain't no Senator! 

-Well no, but she's technically President of the Senate.

Then why we gotta call her Vice President.  Goddam uppity with all the titles.  

best I can do, I'll leave it to Pilot's Error and Yaga to fill in the rest out of genuine hateful bigotry.  The VP is plugging and playing wherever she is needed, and stepping up big time.  But if I can be serious for a moment and piss a lot of y'all off.....we shouldn't be talking about this record if fucking Feinstein would be an adult for ten minutes.  

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, tigol said:

Someone say some thinly veiled racist shit so we can save some time.

RED ALERT!  RED ALERT!  SEARCH WORD "KAMALA" HAS REPORTED AS ACTIVE.  REPORT TO YOUR COMPUTER IMMEDIATELY!

3 hours ago, Incredulity said:

We’re talking about the passage of time…

My man  . . . .

• Like 1

I see you didn't miss your cue.

ETA I'm not an ardent follower of vice-presidential oratory such as you are, so I googled the reference. Of course, the google page was awash in right-wing sources including an analysis of the 30 second segment to which you refer.

I didn't open those. I was anxious to get to the source of this hysteria and scorn. 

That was it? 

I'm reminded of the constant ballyhooing of Sheila Jackson Lee out of Houston. I didn't even know who she was until Limbaugh brought her up a few times back when I only had AM radio working in my old pick-up.

Imagine, you people just happening to pick yet another Democratic woman of color to ridicule ad nauseum. Of course, AOC kicked all your asses so you moved on from her.

So Harris isn't such a great speaker sometimes. I don't like her voice.

Anyway, fuck off.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 1

I'm stating the obvious, but the odds of Kamala becoming President in the 2024-2028 term are much greater than they were in 2020.  I'm not sure if that's good, bad, or neutral. 

I guess it won't matter much, because like 2020, it's largely going to be an "anyone but Trump" mentality for both Democrats and many of the same voters who voted for Trump in 2016 but against him in 2020.

She's a disappointment. I'm glad for symbolic reasons that she was picked and was part of a winning ticket. If she had to step into the presidency she would better than any GOP president since Eisenhower with the exception of HW Bush.

She's just not charismatic. Maybe she just needs a dramatic opportunity to show what she's made of. Being Veep is probably quite the drag. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, RomaVicta said:

She's just not charismatic. Maybe she just needs a dramatic opportunity to show what she's made of. Being Veep is probably quite the drag. 

Were people like Gerald Ford, George H. Bush, Dan Quayle, and Al Gore charismatic? I’m not sure it it’s intentional in the running mate selection process, or the simple fact that a VP gets a hundredth of the media coverage as the President and is largely irrelevant for four years. If you’re looking for that “dramatic opportunity,” I don’t think you’ll see that unless Biden keels over.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Another gem

Cue Leftist Thought Commisars

thatsracist.gif

She's not a great speaker, but she has more charisma in her big toe than the wet cardboard box that is Mike Pence, so... yeah.

I don't like her in this position, and I don't think her resume is worthy of being Veep or President, but she's more qualified than Trump ever was. She's not going to step down, and they can't replace her, even though it would greatly improve Biden's chances in 24. So she needs to step up in the next election because there is a damn good chance she will assume the presidency at some point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Is she a lock to be Biden's Veep in 2024? Cause I would rather see Katie Porter on that ticket. She would shred Kari Lake to pieces in a debate. 

Yes. 

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Were people like Gerald Ford, George H. Bush, Dan Quayle, and Al Gore charismatic? I’m not sure it it’s intentional in the running mate selection process, or the simple fact that a VP gets a hundredth of the media coverage as the President and is largely irrelevant for four years. If you’re looking for that “dramatic opportunity,” I don’t think you’ll see that unless Biden keels over.

For real. Pence? Ryan? Who are the most firebrand VP picks in the last half century? Ferraro bc it was a novelty? Palin bc she was totally unknown and brainless? 

Edited by Js1

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

If she had to step into the presidency she would better than any GOP president since Eisenhower with the exception of HW Bush.

Lol wut.  

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I'm reminded of the constant ballyhooing of Sheila Jackson Lee out of Houston.

Shouldn't even be spoken in the same sentence. The VP is more qualified in every aspect. 

9 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Lol wut.  

So we're talking Nixon, Ford, Reagan, George HW Bush, W, and Trump.

Yeah, I'd say the point is fairly valid.  We have two criminals, a stiff, a dumb actor, and one POTUS' incompetent son.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

You know, the daily schedule of the sitting Vice President is 100% public and always available online.  (obviously they don't include security briefings or intelligence reports, but I think we can all appreciate that regardless of who is in office).  You can even see when a POTUS/VPOTUS attends worship services on Sunday in D.C., or while traveling.  Why you can even see that some sitting Presidents are so deeply religious and sent by God himself, that they don't even have to attend church at all, ever, during an entire four year term, except for state funerals and photo ops.  Amazing.    

Nor should anybody have given a shit about Pence.  IMO, other than flirting with the idea of usurping the Electoral College until being talked off the ledge by Dan Quayle, he led a pretty standard term as VP.  I was worried he'd use his position to religiously bully much of America, but he was pretty much resigned to just empty speeches and appearances at far right social conservative groups.  But all in all, Mike did what pretty much most VP's do...photo ops, speeches, fundraise, ribbon cuttings, commencement addresses, etc.  He really didn't do much damage though he had the change.  His original and cardinal sin was helping to wash away the moral bankruptcy that walks and talks and looks just like Donald Trump.

Fun fact for Poe, et. al.  One of Pence's former Chiefs of Staff when he was in GOP Congressional leadership and as Governor of Indiana was a very sharp cat who is know a very high up at AEI.  Anyway, this guy came to UT for 2-3 years to run one of our centre-right think tanks (not the Dan Patrick far-rightone).  Helluva nice guy and after a few drinks would open up about Pence.  He moved to DC during that administration to work at AEI and would still get a call every now and again from the VP for advice.  RS still comes to Austin 1-2x/year to speak or meet with AEI donors, etc. 

We got to talking last year over drinks and he told me that almost every single Saturday night or Sunday morning on which they were both in town, which was probably 80% of the time, unless Trump was golfing.  Pence would call, or relay a message to Trump, that Karen and he would love it if the Trumps could join them for church service later Sunday morning.  Either at the Pence's church-away-from Church in D.C., or another house  of worship of the Trump's choosing.  And it really hurt that not one time during their nearly five years together on the trail and in the White House did Trump ever accept the Pence's kind invitation to worship or serve the community together.  Not one single time.  Either blew him off or said he was busy with other things, which Mike knew he wasn't since they swapped schedules with security every morning.  

250 times VP Pence asked Trump to attend church services with him, and 250 times Trump turned him down and didn't attend church himself anywhere except for photographs outside or a state funeral.  Think about that next time you feel Trump reflects your value system and Harris is apparently in hiding. 

But maybe you're right, maybe one's spiritual compass and guide to ethics can't be judged by attendance alone.  Surely it's how a man handles his marriage, family, and service to the less fortunate that truly defines his moral grounding.  Aw shit, I almost got through that without laughing... 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

So we're talking Nixon, Ford, Reagan, George HW Bush, W, and Trump.

Yeah, I'd say the point is fairly valid.  We have two criminals, a stiff, a dumb actor, and one POTUS' incompetent son.

yeah, there's a lot of low cards in that hand.

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Nor should anybody have given a shit about Pence.  IMO, other than flirting with the idea of usurping the Electoral College until being talked off the ledge by Dan Quayle, he led a pretty standard term as VP.  I was worried he'd use his position to religiously bully much of America, but he was pretty much resigned to just empty speeches and appearances at far right social conservative groups.  But all in all, Mike did what pretty much most VP's do...photo ops, speeches, fundraise, ribbon cuttings, commencement addresses, etc.  He really didn't do much damage though he had the change.  His original and cardinal sin was helping to wash away the moral bankruptcy that walks and talks and looks just like Donald Trump.

Fun fact for Poe, et. al.  One of Pence's former Chiefs of Staff when he was in GOP Congressional leadership and as Governor of Indiana was a very sharp cat who is know a very high up at AEI.  Anyway, this guy came to UT for 2-3 years to run one of our centre-right think tanks (not the Dan Patrick far-rightone).  Helluva nice guy and after a few drinks would open up about Pence.  He moved to DC during that administration to work at AEI and would still get a call every now and again from the VP for advice.  RS still comes to Austin 1-2x/year to speak or meet with AEI donors, etc. 

We got to talking last year over drinks and he told me that almost every single Saturday night or Sunday morning on which they were both in town, which was probably 80% of the time, unless Trump was golfing.  Pence would call, or relay a message to Trump, that Karen and he would love it if the Trumps could join them for church service later Sunday morning.  Either at the Pence's church-away-from Church in D.C., or another house  of worship of the Trump's choosing.  And it really hurt that not one time during their nearly five years together on the trail and in the White House did Trump ever accept the Pence's kind invitation to worship or serve the community together.  Not one single time.  Either blew him off or said he was busy with other things, which Mike knew he wasn't since they swapped schedules with security every morning.  

250 times VP Pence asked Trump to attend church services with him, and 250 times Trump turned him down and didn't attend church himself anywhere except for photographs outside or a state funeral.  Think about that next time you feel Trump reflects your value system and Harris is apparently in hiding. 

But maybe you're right, maybe one's spiritual compass and guide to ethics can't be judged by attendance alone.  Surely it's how a man handles his marriage, family, and service to the less fortunate that truly defines his moral grounding.  Aw shit, I almost got through that without laughing... 

Trump is very spiritual

image.jpeg.1320c5c2fd84ede8fe7819406ac83689.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

I can't believe he and Woody Harrelson are about the same age, from the same part of Indiana, from the same college, and lived roughly the same amount of time in the public spotlight.  And Woody looks/sounds like Woody, and Pence looks the cranky, wrinkled ass puppet rejected by Jeff Dunham for "Being too much of a curmudgeon for my racist audience."  Amazing what being driven by hate will do to a man, tattoo's itself all across'd your face.

8 hours ago, Js1 said:

Yes. 

For real. Pence? Ryan? Who are the most firebrand VP picks in the last half century? Ferraro bc it was a novelty? Palin bc she was totally unknown and brainless? 

LBJ & Truman

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I’m not a math major, but that was more than a half century ago. Probably the last VP picked to try and win a crucial state 

Good history note there.  LBJ helped JFK win Texas by just 45,000 votes.  Race gets a lot tighter if JFK doesn't win Texas, and LBJ helped with a few other southern states as well who didn't know about his future plans for Civil Rights.  Since the Nixon-Humphrey-Wallace election and TV basically taking over campaigning as the primary way to reach voters instead of visits, newspaper, and radio.........there really haven't been any VP picks made primarily for geographic purposes.  It's always been to balance out something else along the spectrums of political ideology, experience, age, or demography.  

Ford didn't exactly need Dole to carry Kansas in 1976, nor Carter with Mondale for Minnesota.  Bush didn't need Quayle to carry Indiana.  Clinton had the mid-South locked up, he didn't need Gore to carry Tennessee.  He needed squeaky clean white bread to balance out his hip cat stylings.  Bush/Cheney-Wyoming?  Joe Lieberman to get CT?  Obama needed Delaware help, really?  

About the only race in the last 55 years I can kinda see the geography play was actually Clinton/Kane in 2016.  She only carried Virginia by less than 35,000 votes.  Kane may have been a big factor in putting her over the top.  That, and Trump threatening everybody in the upper-third of Virginia that they'd be fired from their government jobs onhis first day.  

Not for Trump, but DeSantis may make a viable VP selection in 2028 or 2032.  He'd still be young enough to run on his own for POTUS after that, it keeps him in the national spotlight after he terms out/flames out in 2024 primaries.  He can reboot his image with all the trappings of higher office and none of the burden of real leadership as VP.  The overwhelming majority of major party nominations for POTUS & VP have gone to people who themselves were previously candidates in that primary or previous cycle primaries, we tend to forget that when Trump calls everybody a loser.  And Meatball brings a lot to the table-Florida.  It is not the safe red state FoxNews and MAGA nation think it is.  Recent history has proven that.  Not in 2024, but it may very well be back in play by 2028, certainly by 2032.  He still has a lane to relevance.  But yeah, he'll fuck it up.  Goofy bastard.  

• Hook 'Em 1