Hundreds' of NCAA violations land Tennessee $8M fine plus six-year show cause for ex-coach Jeremy Pruitt

coachherman'sgrill

The fines given out were notably larger than those historically given out by the NCAA. However, the NCAA addressed the heightened fines as an offsetting move to avoid giving out bowl bans that will affect players and staff on campus who had no involvement with the violations. 

Season 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

Also scholarship reductions in the era of NIL is hilarious 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

SEC school gets a slap on the wrist for cheating their ass off.  Huh, I've never seen that before.  And I'm sure Pruitt was squeaky clean during his time at Alabama and Georgia before Tennessee hired him.  No need to dig any deeper on his other jobs, all the cheating was confined to Tennessee.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Trojan Man said:

SEC school gets a slap on the wrist for cheating their ass off.  Huh, I've never seen that before.  And I'm sure Pruitt was squeaky clean during his time at Alabama and Georgia before Tennessee hired him.  No need to dig any deeper on his other jobs, all the cheating was confined to Tennessee.

That’s what makes this hilarious. During his tenure one of our players was arrested and the cop called Pruitt and Pruitt more or less said I cannot believe y’all do that here. It’s on audiotape. 

• Haha 1

A cursory look at the violations shows they were for payments to players. Now that we have NIL it seems kind of dumb to make a big deal about that type of past offense. Had they won a national championship I could see stripping it, but punishing current/future players for paying those former players a fraction of what current players get seems silly IMO 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Js1 said:

Season 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

Also scholarship reductions in the era of NIL is hilarious 

NCAA: Y'all can't pay a handful of $20k tuitions anymore!

Tennessee NIL reps: No problem, we'll just pay the punter and the place kicker $20k instead of $0.  Thanks for stopping by!

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 1

Lulz. 

Sweater God, true story.  The company I worked for in Knoxville circa 1997 hired a new VP.  He buys this super fancy house.  A couple of months after moving in, he finds something like $20K in a space behind a panel in one of his closets.  The previous owner was TN's basketball coach.  I think Jerry Green or Kevin O'Neil.  Can't recall which. 

Could it have just been a careless accident?  Sure.  But I'm pretty sure most people would keep track of that much money if it belonged specifically to them.

@Clintonaldo It was one of those super nice houses off Pellissippi Pkwy, between Loudon and Farragut.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Lulz. 

Sweater God, true story.  The company I worked for in Knoxville circa 1997 hired a new VP.  He buys this super fancy house.  A couple of months after moving in, he finds something like $20K in a space behind a panel in one of his closets.  The previous owner was TN's basketball coach.  I think Jerry Green or Kevin O'Neil.  Can't recall which. 

Could it have just been a careless accident?  Sure.  But I'm pretty sure most people would keep track of that much money if it belonged specifically to them.

@Clintonaldo It was one of those super nice houses off Pellissippi Pkwy, between Loudon and Farragut.

Very nice area. I’m taking a 2 hour boat ride tomorrow and parking at Calhouns by the stadium for lunch. Going to be a sloppy shit show since I don’t have to drive. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

Very nice area. I’m taking a 2 hour boat ride tomorrow and parking at Calhouns by the stadium for lunch. Going to be a sloppy shit show since I don’t have to drive. 

Damn man.  Calhoun's.  I hadn't thought about that place in awhile.  I'm thinking about coming up for a couple of days in two weeks.  My daughter is about to get her MBA from Carson Newman.  I had already planned on Central Taps and Flats, and a couple of other nostalgic food spots.  I might have to add Calhouns.

1 minute ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Damn man.  Calhoun's.  I hadn't thought about that place in awhile.  I'm thinking about coming up for a couple of days in two weeks.  My daughter is about to get her MBA from Carson Newman.  I had already planned on Central Taps and Flats, and a couple of other nostalgic food spots.  I might have to add Calhouns.

Honestly, Calhoun’s is dogshit but it’s the memories there.  The party after the Alabama game is something I will never forget. The tv was on a 5 second delay so we watched the fireworks before the score was on the TV. 

we need to meet up. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

@Clintonaldo

Oops.  What I wrote about my daughter sounded flippant.  She finishes her MBA next month, but wasn't supposed to walk until December.  I gave her a choice of all of us coming up OR all of us going to Vegas.  She chose Vegas.  In doing so, I still wanted to come up and see her before school (teachers) starts back for my wife and me.

Anyway, we def need to have a beer sometime in the future.  I'll be relying on you and your connections for the first UT v UT game.  

26 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So 28 scholarships lost over 5 years with at least 2 per season. Fat Heupel is going to backload the shit out of this right? So it's really 8 scholarships over 4 years, and 20 scholarships in Year 5. 

We already cut some the last 2 years. 

15 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

@Clintonaldo

Oops.  What I wrote about my daughter sounded flippant.  She finishes her MBA next month, but wasn't supposed to walk until December.  I gave her a choice of all of us coming up OR all of us going to Vegas.  She chose Vegas.  In doing so, I still wanted to come up and see her before school (teachers) starts back for my wife and me.

Anyway, we def need to have a beer sometime in the future.  I'll be relying on you and your connections for the first UT v UT game.  

That’s when we meet. It will be an absolute shit show of cringe over “ real UT”. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So 28 scholarships lost over 5 years with at least 2 per season. Fat Heupel is going to backload the shit out of this right? So it's really 8 scholarships over 4 years, and 20 scholarships in Year 5. 

22 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

We already cut some the last 2 years. 

Clintonaldo is correct...

"Tennessee will lose 28 scholarships over five years, with at least two lost each season. The program reduced scholarships by 16 over the first two seasons due to self-imposed sanctions, meaning current coach Josh Heupel and his staff must only sit 12 total scholarships short over the next three seasons. "

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 2

From what I’ve heard, this was just very low level cash and benefit payments on a widespread scale with incredible sloppiness. The total figure I’ve heard paid out over two years was $60,000 to 16 players and their families, making up 200 separate violations. This is the kind of shit that was done at every place Pruitt worked before Tennessee, those places just had a better infrastructure for keeping it under wraps. It all looks very petty when compared to the new NIL landscape. 

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

From what I’ve heard, this was just very low level cash and benefit payments on a widespread scale with incredible sloppiness. The total figure I’ve heard paid out over two years was $60,000 to 16 players and their families, making up 200 separate violations. This is the kind of shit that was done at every place Pruitt worked before Tennessee, those places just had a better infrastructure for keeping it under wraps. It all looks very petty when compared to the new NIL landscape. 

Take your fucking logic and fuck your face!!! In all seriousness, we’ve been punished enough having to live through the Poot years. He just continually got cucked recruiting and paying players that went elsewhere. 

I am convinced the Dooley, Butch and Pruitt years gave me a raging drinking problem because I was at every home game until Pruitt’s last year. I’ve been humiliated from Gainesville to College Station and kept showing up. I treated football like flying as I would get fucked up and hope for the best. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Honestly, Calhoun’s is dogshit but it’s the memories there.  The party after the Alabama game is something I will never forget. The tv was on a 5 second delay so we watched the fireworks before the score was on the TV. 

we need to meet up. 

Was always more of a SunSpot guy.
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

Take your fucking logic and fuck your face!!! In all seriousness, we’ve been punished enough having to live through the Poot years. He just continually got cucked recruiting and paying players that went elsewhere. 

I am convinced the Dooley, Butch and Pruitt years gave me a raging drinking problem because I was at every home game until Pruitt’s last year. I’ve been humiliated from Gainesville to College Station and kept showing up. I treated football like flying as I would get fucked up and hope for the best. 

The similarities of Texas and Tennessee since the late 2000’s are eerie. The only difference is the one year of Kiffin. They both had a longtime coach who was a great recruiter, not so great game day coach, who out talented everyone but would lose to a big rival (OU and Florida), then both got over the hump and won a BCS Championship. They both passed their sell by date and were ousted. Skip the Kiffin year. Strong and Dooley had the identical record in their respective three years. Butch Jones and Tom Herman both gave the appearance of a return to prominence before imploding. 

Really hoping Sark doesn’t mirror Pruitt even though their records for their first two seasons are identical. Sark seems to be handling everything off the field light years better than Pruitt so far. 

I think you got a good one with Heupel, possibly a great one. He really reminds me of when Spurrier hit the league in 1990. 

Just now, Duane Moore said:

The similarities of Texas and Tennessee since the late 2000’s are eerie. The only difference is the one year of Kiffin. They both had a longtime coach who was a great recruiter, not so great game day coach, who out talented everyone but would lose to a big rival (OU and Florida), then both got over the hump and won a BCS Championship. They both passed their sell by date and were ousted. Skip the Kiffin year. Strong and Dooley had the identical record in their respective three years. Butch Jones and Tom Herman both gave the appearance of a return to prominence before imploding. 

Really hoping Sark doesn’t mirror Pruitt even though their records for their first two seasons are identical. Sark seems to be handling everything off the field light years better than Pruitt so far. 

I think you got a good one with Heupel, possibly a great one. He really reminds me of when Spurrier hit the league in 1990. 

I agree with all of this. Sark at least is a good person but I’m just not sure. This is his year to prove it. This board made me follow Texas so I want y’all to be good. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

One more thing with Heupel. He is such a dork but a genuine dude. We were all pissed at first but halfway through his first season we all realized he was solid. I cannot believe the disgusting fat body pulled it off. 

He won us over against Ole Miss when we were fucked on some calls and the fans threw shit. Prior to the press conference after the game he asked the AD what could he say and he was told if you criticize the fanbase you won’t survive here. 

yeah, it was wrong but Kiffin stoked it up  

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Lulz.  I don't have the tweet, but documents show Jeremy Pruitt said he gave bags of Chick FIL A w/ $300 to recruits because he felt bad for George Floyd.

With or without nuggets?  It matters.

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

George Georgia on my mind indeed.

Not the cool one ... oh on.

The Michael Bolton with Kenny G one.

What is that, sir?

That doesn't exist.

It does. 

In true, Tennessee fashion.

This abomination exists.

Edited by Dnaguy