Tell me about ou

Texas007

14 hours ago, quigley said:

🤪🤪

I haven't forgotten anything.

Venables didn't get run out, and his defenses were good to excellent during his tenure as the sole DC. That's what you forgot. This is covered on the recruiting board in detail so you can look up there and go to footballoutsiders.com and review the primary data regarding defensive efficiency.

His average scoring defense at OU was 31st in the country.  OU fans were used to having top 10 defenses when Stoops and Pelini were the playcalling DCs and nicknamed him Vulnerables.

He had one top 10 scoring defense at OU.  2009 when Bradford was hurt and OU took the air out of the ball because Jones was not a good passer that year.

He also had a scoring defense of 60 in 2008 when OU could not stop anyone.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

His average scoring defense at OU was 31st in the country.  OU fans were used to having top 10 defenses when Stoops and Pelini were the playcalling DCs and nicknamed him Vulnerables.

He had one top 10 scoring defense at OU.  2009 when Bradford was hurt and OU took the air out of the ball because Jones was not a good passer that year.

He also had a scoring defense of 60 in 2008 when OU could not stop anyone.

OU was playing at tempo therefore saw more plays and drives than most teams. In addition, the Big12 had great and diverse offenses that era. There were years when 4-5 of the top ten offenses in the country were in the Big12. That's why I look at advanced stats. They can account for variance in tempo and level of competition (with limits on the latter). Most people who are serious about this stuff use these metrics because they're far, far more informative. I left the references for you.

Your ideas were shared by the portion of the OU fanbase that was frustrated with Venables in 2010 and 2011. Those fans were wrong because they're looking at the wrong data, just like you are now. The last decade is further evidence of this. Venables had the same basic philosophies and schemes at Clemson as he did at OU. His talent, especially the DL, got better. 

There are many ways Venables could fail as a head coach at OU. It won't be because he can't organize a defense.

DEC 17, 2021                  DOUG SAMUELS

Oklahoma will reportedly make Jeff Lebby one of the highest paid coordinators in college football

Jeff Lebby has been a part of some of the most explosive offenses in college football.

From his time at Baylor under Art Briles, to UCF (where he first held the offensive coordinator title) to what he did with the Rebels the past two seasons, he's clearly been a coordinator on the rise.

Now, as a part of Brent Venables new staff at Oklahoma, he will reportedly join rare air as one of the highest paid coordinators in college football.

According to The Oklahoman, who obtained the contract details, Lebby has agreed to a three-year, $5.7 million deal.

He will make $1.8 million his first season, $1.9 million year two, and join the $2 million coordinator club in year three under the terms of his deal.

With Tony Elliott leaving Clemson to be the head coach at Virginia, Lebby's salary likely makes him the highest paid offensive coordinator in the game.

At Ole Miss, Lebby initially came on board making $700k, but a new contract 11 months ago bumped his annual pay into the $1.2 million range.

On the other side of the ball, defensive coordinator Ted Roof also has a three-year deal, worth $3.45 million. Roof will make $1.1 million his first season, followed by increases of $50k over the next two seasons.

Head here to read the full piece from  The Oklahoman.  

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

DEC 17, 2021                  DOUG SAMUELS

Oklahoma will reportedly make Jeff Lebby one of the highest paid coordinators in college football

Jeff Lebby has been a part of some of the most explosive offenses in college football.

From his time at Baylor under Art Briles, to UCF (where he first held the offensive coordinator title) to what he did with the Rebels the past two seasons, he's clearly been a coordinator on the rise.

Now, as a part of Brent Venables new staff at Oklahoma, he will reportedly join rare air as one of the highest paid coordinators in college football.

According to The Oklahoman, who obtained the contract details, Lebby has agreed to a three-year, $5.7 million deal.

He will make $1.8 million his first season, $1.9 million year two, and join the $2 million coordinator club in year three under the terms of his deal.

With Tony Elliott leaving Clemson to be the head coach at Virginia, Lebby's salary likely makes him the highest paid offensive coordinator in the game.

At Ole Miss, Lebby initially came on board making $700k, but a new contract 11 months ago bumped his annual pay into the $1.2 million range.

On the other side of the ball, defensive coordinator Ted Roof also has a three-year deal, worth $3.45 million. Roof will make $1.1 million his first season, followed by increases of $50k over the next two seasons.

Head here to read the full piece from  The Oklahoman.  

Who is OU competing with to get Roof? They're overpaying him by 300K.

Edited by quigley
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Name is spelled differently... McKade Mettauer

Second-team All-Pac-12 squad this season.

https://www.si.com/college/cal/news/transfer-portal-for-mckade-mettauer

https://247sports.com/Player/Mc-Kade-Mettauer-46037827/

That’s him. I know his father a little. Wasn’t exactly sure how to spell his first name

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, quigley said:

Not surprised OU's in the portal for OL. I expect that they may take one more even. Where did you see he's going to OU?

His dad told me.

He made it sound like they were pretty public about it, so I hope I’m not blowing anything up for the dude.

He also said his sin hated and loved Becton. Hatesd because Becton kicked his ass (figuratively), loved because Becton kicked his ass and made him tougher. 

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 8:04 AM, lilMAC25 said:

His dad told me.

He made it sound like they were pretty public about it, so I hope I’m not blowing anything up for the dude.

He also said his sin hated and loved Becton. Hatesd because Becton kicked his ass (figuratively), loved because Becton kicked his ass and made him tougher. 

You were right!

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, quigley said:

You were right!

His little brother (QB at The Woodlands) just got an OU offer. I think he’s gonna be a really good player. Pretty sure he was the District MVP as a Soph.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/hs-sports/football/article/The-Woodlands-QB-Mettauer-named-13-6A-MVP-16671697.php#photo-21779849

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

So, OU’s best coaches names all begin with”B”:

There’s Bud

then…there’s Barry

then….there’s  Bob

and now, there’s  Brent

Poor John Blake!

And Bennie.

the University of Oklahoma from 1905 to 1926, compiling a career college football record of 155–60–19. Owen was also the head basketball coach at Oklahoma from 1908 to 1921, tallying a mark of 113–49, and the head baseball coach at the school from 1906 to 1922, amassing a record of 142–102–4. He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame as a coach in 1951.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pdawg88 said:

We will take a step back for sure, but not Charlie Strong bad. I mean I think we can still beat Kansas. 

Dunno there was some questionable officiating in the 2021 OU/KU game and let's not forget the 40-35 game against 2-10 Tulane. OU wasn't very good last season and they appear to be headed towards a dog shit 2022 season unless they pull off a miracle through the portal.

Then getting Clemson’s DL and best recruiter is a bigger deal than the QB drama.

If they can ratchet up their defensive recruiting and player development, they’ll compete for the SEC.  You can find good offensive players anywhere.

Edited by Aqua Buddha
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Then getting Clemson’s DL and best recruiter is a bigger deal than the QB drama.

If they can ratchet up their defensive recruiting and player development, they’ll compete for the SEC.  You can find good offensive players anywhere.

I can't up vote your post because I liked all the Gabriel transfer posts, but this is my feeling too. Todd Bates + Venables + OU NIL/bag = good defense in Norman.

Getting a competent QB is nice too.

• Like 2