"Add a Tip"

Ghost of LL

1 hour ago, FartingMonk said:

How are they being assholes?  The restaurant listed the price on the menu.  

So let's say he buys the food at menu price and throws it all in the floor. Or goes into the bathrooom and takes a massive shit on the floor and smears it on the mirror. Is he an asshole??? Is that stuff against the law? Does it say on the menu what he can do with the food once he pays?

He knows the system, and puts his personal comfort above the server's reasonable financial expectation (they will be taxed on 10% of that sale, because even tax law presumes people aren't this dickish), as well as counts on the tips from other people to subsidize his assholery. 

And on gambling, yeah, and I tip on every cash game pot I drag, even when I'm stuck to fuck, because that is part of the social contract that allows there to be games for me to play in, with competent dealers. 

Edited by TXSooner518
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, FartingMonk said:

Last thing I'm gonna say.  Sometimes people are just down in life and want to go out.  Why the fuck are we judging them.  

Not judging, but the behavior is wrong.  Not saying they should burn in hell for it, but damn, a decent person wouldn't do that shit.

3 hours ago, royiv said:

You keep conflating sit down restaurants with other services.

And why should they NOT be conflated? It's just another product with a listed price. His point on societal norms is exactly correct, and we all have different concepts and different regional factors that affect those norms. It's why tipping is such a divisive topic.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

I'm just saying.  I was part of the service industry.  In college I delivered pizzas.  One time I delivered 100 pizzas to UT for a party.  The people who took the pizza didn't tip.  I was pretty fucking pissed.  The next time I did it.  The dude tipped 200 bucks and then the person who actually paid for it had tipped 200.  As a server I've been stiffed by a church group but then the tips for the shift were super generous.   It happens

You keep using other service jobs, and you clearly don't know how restaurants work.

In most restaurants, the servers have to tip out the bartenders, barbacks, bussers, food runners, and hostesses.  And you tip out regardless of what your actual tip is.  On a $100 tab, the server probably had to tip out the bartenders $5 and the bussers/food runners/hostesses another buck or two.

Point being--at a lot of restaurants, if you don't leave a tip, you're actually costing your server money.  And that's pretty fucking dickish.

3 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

Y'all are telling poor people to stay home because they don't deserve to go out and wat

I'm sorry--is the hundred-dollar restaurant the only place in town?

You act like the only choices are go to a restaurant and order enough food to run up a $100 tab or stay at home.

How about just not order the fucking appetizers?  Or go over to the fucking Applebee's?

I can't afford to go to the Taylor Swift concert.  Why are you telling me to stay at home as though I don't deserve to go out and wat?

Get the fuck outta here with that shit.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam Lin said:

And why should they NOT be conflated? It's just another product with a listed price. His point on societal norms is exactly correct, and we all have different concepts and different regional factors that affect those norms. It's why tipping is such a divisive topic.

Are you guys really this dense to not see the difference between a server making $2/hr and someone making a wage? Or do you just enjoy being an asshole to people trying to pay their bills.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

In most restaurants, the servers have to tip out the bartenders, barbacks, bussers, food runners, and hostesses.  And you tip out regardless of what your actual tip is.  On a $100 tab, the server probably had to tip out the bartenders $5 and the bussers/food runners/hostesses another buck or two.

5 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

(they will be taxed on 10% of that sale, because even tax law presumes people aren't this dickish

This is a very stupid and inefficient system for the consumer as well as the server. We need to just adopt a euro model. Pay your employees and give me a price for my meal. And if I feel compelled to do something extra it is gravy. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, royiv said:

Are you guys really this dense to not see the difference between a server making $2/hr and someone making a wage? Or do you just enjoy being an asshole to people trying to pay their bills.

I always give a crisp new one dollar bill and a bible tract as a tip.  I figure that the bible tract is of incalculable value.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I always give a crisp new one dollar bill and a bible tract as a tip.  I figure that the bible tract is of incalculable value.

Damn right. My mom used to give them out in lieu of halloween candy. Some of those kids looked mad, but you know deep down, they appreciated the message.

Chick.com: Party Girl

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Man…back in the day I waited on you…several times. FML.

I posted that because when I was an assistant manager at a Pizza Hut in high school, we had a crew of square dancers that would come in about 30 minutes before closing time every Saturday night.  They always had discount coupons, drank only water, made us stay open late, their kids would make a mess, and dollars and bible tracts were sure to be found when they left.

• Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

This is a very stupid and inefficient system for the consumer as well as the server. We need to just adopt a euro model. Pay your employees and give me a price for my meal. And if I feel compelled to do something extra it is gravy.

If you adopt the Euro or Japanese model, they would be offended by your gravy.

I’ve asked my kids who have all waited tables, and they said they would’ve done it for $30/hour, but they would’ve resented the lazy staff if they were getting $25 or even $20. 

9 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I’ve asked my kids who have all waited tables, and they said they would’ve done it for $30/hour, but they would’ve resented the lazy staff if they were getting $25 or even $20. 

My buddy owns a few brew pubs and he said they went to Maine and talked to some bar tenders that work on the Euro model.  Claims they hated it because they made much more on the American tip model.  It's anecdotal and goes against my suspicions, but it's the closest to firsthand data I have.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/23/2023 at 11:07 AM, Brisketexan said:

Had dinner with the wife at Olamie last night (great place, recommend).  They put an automatic 20% "staff wellness" charge on top of everything (I think it was pre-tax, can't recall).  And in the folder with the bill, there's a nice little paper bookmark explaining the policy, that it's used for compensation, healthcare, etc.  It wasn't hidden -- they literally highlighted the line item on the bill, and provided the conspicuous bookmark explanation.

You can tip in addition to that, which I did (to make it a full 25% tip, my go-to these days).  But my wife sees the piddly dollar amount I wrote down relative to the tap and asks out loud "what the hell are you doing?"  I explain, and show her the ticket and bookmark.

I'm all about that approach.  I want to see staff paid a fair living wage.  If the way to do that is to functionally tack on 20% to all of your food and beverage prices, that makes sense (it's what should/would happen in tip world).  Then, let me tack something on if I want to reward exceptional service, or if I just generally like to tip a bit more.  For decent restaurants, I'd like to see this approach catch on (Salt & Time does the same, IIRC).

Like the 20 percent to cover staff, hate the “wellness charge” way of doing it.

Add 20 percent to the menu items. The problem with this from the restaurants view is that it will absolutely impact what the customer orders when he looks at the menu. The customer looks at menu prices.  

So instead they try to make it some kind of feel good thing that you consider after you’ve already ordered.  

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Add 20 percent to the menu items. The problem with this from the restaurants view is that it will absolutely impact what the customer orders when he looks at the menu. The customer looks at menu prices.  

Same for concert tix or sporting events.  Fuck your service charges and "convenience fees," which aren't.  Just put the gotdam price on there.

12 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah, but it's the system we have.  And the guy's an asshole if he goes out to a restaurant in the system that we have and then doesn't tip because, "oh, oops--now I don't have enough money to cover both the appetizers I ordered and the tip."

I agree with your underlying point.  I was just in Japan this past Spring, and it was great to go to a bar, get a drink, and not worry about tipping.  Or in a taxi or the bellman or a waiter or anywhere.  You just don't fucking do it anywhere.  And it's actually really nice not to have the mental strain of having to ask yourself "do I need to tip in this situation".

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Euro model is a guaranteed way to get shit service.  They're getting paid anyway right?  

Also not tipping the waiter is a good way to get shit service your next time around.

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Like the 20 percent to cover staff, hate the “wellness charge” way of doing it.

So instead they try to make it some kind of feel good thing that you consider after you’ve already ordered.  

This would suck for the non-tippers.  

34 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Euro model is a guaranteed way to get shit service.  They're getting paid anyway right?   

i've been going to europe and asia my entire life and i've not found service to be worse.  in fact i think service in general is actually *better* overseas.  maybe they take more pride in their work.  maybe they see it not as a temporary placeholder before they reach their next station in life but as a longer term proposition.  

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Also not tipping the waiter is a good way to get shit service your next time around.

the vast majority of waiters in the US nowadays are not great anyways. i always compare the service to what you get in mexico, and it's night and day. mexican waiters bust their ass and the tip expectation is only 10% versus 20%

30 minutes ago, El Tri said:

the vast majority of waiters in the US nowadays are not great anyways. i always compare the service to what you get in mexico, and it's night and day. mexican waiters bust their ass and the tip expectation is only 10% versus 20%

This. I’m in Mexico right now and they kick US wait staff ass. I don’t need to be checked on every 8 minutes, but they’re attentive enough and friendly and don’t expect more than 10%. And they’re very grateful when you tip higher than that. Haven’t had bad service at all yet 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

This isn't complicated if a waiter is shitty, it's costing the restaurant money, and most operate on thin margins.  People don't want to patronize a restaurant with shitty service regardless if tips are involved.  It's in nobody's interest for the waitress to do a shit job, just as it's not in an office workers interest to fuck up TPS reports if there is no tip. 

Wait . . . some dude stiffed his waiter on a $100+ dinner for 2 because he "couldn't afford it", and we should be OK with that because poor people need to have a night out just like everyone else?

I can take my wife to Homeslice, split a 16" specialty pie, get a couple of house salads and a couple of beers and I doubt I'd hit $70 after tax and a good tip.

As someone said upthread, go to fucking Applebee's if you can't afford to tip on a pricier dinner.  What a world.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This. I’m in Mexico right now and they kick US wait staff ass. I don’t need to be checked on every 8 minutes, but they’re attentive enough and friendly and don’t expect more than 10%. And they’re very grateful when you tip higher than that. Haven’t had bad service at all yet 

I’m not questioning your experience, but perhaps the American customers who usually tip 20%+ are a bit of an incentive. Regulars in American restaurants who have a reputation of tipping generously are treated very well. 

3 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

This isn't complicated if a waiter is shitty, it's costing the restaurant money, and most operate on thin margins.  People don't want to patronize a restaurant with shitty service regardless if tips are involved.  It's in nobody's interest for the waitress to do a shit job, just as it's not in an office workers interest to fuck up TPS reports if there is no tip. 

Office workers aren't dependent on tips.  Lots of people want office jobs.  Good luck finding waiters.  Restaurants are always looking for help.

I have no problems firing waiters who suck.  Just don't expect exemplary service if you're a regular that tips less than 10%.  Might be a little late on the ice tea refills.  Might be a little less interested in making thousand island dressing from scratch.  Might be a little less willing to stand and listen to your stories about junior scoring 3 tds at his last pee wee game.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wait . . . some dude stiffed his waiter on a $100+ dinner for 2 because he "couldn't afford it", and we should be OK with that because poor people need to have a night out just like everyone else?

I can take my wife to Homeslice, split a 16" specialty pie, get a couple of house salads and a couple of beers and I doubt I'd hit $70 after tax and a good tip.

As someone said upthread, go to fucking Applebee's if you can't afford to tip on a pricier dinner.  What a world.

Applebees?  Fuck that.  Mickey D's or again, maybe stay at home and don't dine out on your last 100.00, allegedly. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This.

I mean, I remain mortified about the time when I was 16, took my girlfriend to Chili's, and realized I was lighter on cash than I thought (thought a 10 was a 20 in my wallet).  I could pay for our meal, but only had enough to tip like a buck and some change.  I felt horrible and guilty as shit.  That was decades ago, and I still feel shitty about it.  Had I realized my money situation before we ordered, I'd have skipped anything pricey.  Because yes, tax and tip are part of the cost of going out to eat, even at a goddamn Chili's in the 1980s.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.

I mean, I remain mortified about the time when I was 16, took my girlfriend to Chili's, and realized I was lighter on cash than I thought (thought a 10 was a 20 in my wallet).  I could pay for our meal, but only had enough to tip like a buck and some change.  I felt horrible and guilty as shit.  That was decades ago, and I still feel shitty about it.  Had I realized my money situation before we ordered, I'd have skipped anything pricey.  Because yes, tax and tip are part of the cost of going out to eat, even at a goddamn Chili's in the 1980s.

You just had to have the Awesome Blossom, didn't you?

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Office workers aren't dependent on tips.  Lots of people want office jobs.  Good luck finding waiters.  Restaurants are always looking for help.

I have no problems firing waiters who suck.  Just don't expect exemplary service if you're a regular that tips less than 10%.  Might be a little late on the ice tea refills.  Might be a little less interested in making thousand island dressing from scratch.  Might be a little less willing to stand and listen to your stories about junior scoring 3 tds at his last pee wee game.

Applebees?  Fuck that.  Mickey D's or again, maybe stay at home and don't dine out on your last 100.00, allegedly. 

Well in the euro model the waitresses aren't dependent on tips.  That's the point, they don't just stop doing their jobs.

28 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yes but they are getting paid minimum wage at least?  Or is it 2 francs an hour

Yes, but that is what we are talking about converting to a euro system.  You said it guarantees bad service because they are getting paid regardless, but that's not the case, because people tend to do their jobs, assuming they want them.  That would mean paying a waiter enough for them to want to work for you for the hourly wage you can afford.  Obviously this a hypothetical because everyone is not going decide to change overnight.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Brisket on his big date:

Kate Flannery – IAMNOTASTALKER

No shit.  My "first date," I was 17, went big and took home girl to Olive Garden.  Waiter asked me if I wanted a refill and I asked "is it free."  She paid for the movie.  I did leave a 5.00 tip which was like 20.00 back then.  Waiter was snooty as fuck and judgemental when I asked if it was free.

We had two "fancy" restaurants in the shitty little college town where I grew up -- the Pubmobile and Zeno's Steakhouse.  I actually went to the steakhouse on a visit home after having lived in Austin for 15 years, and I was shocked at how bad the steaks were.  The Pubmobile had pretty standard American restaurant fare like spaghetti, burgers, steaks, fried chicken, etc. but I suspect it was equally bad, we just didn't know better.  BIG time date night spots, you were guaranteed a little nooky after taking a date to either one.  Neither would have survived a month in Austin, which wasn't exactly a fine dining mecca at the time, either.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

you ever dine in Europe?  Cause, yeah they kinda do.

In my 6 or 7 trips to Europe and eating out twice a day, I noticed that generally the service was not up to what I usually experience in the US.  It wasn't horrible, just average.  There are always exceptions.  But I never experienced the outstanding service that I usually get at our fine dining restaurants in the US.  Still, on the whole, I'd rather see us go to the Euro model.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, HouTex said:

In my 6 or 7 trips to Europe and eating out twice a day, I noticed that generally the service was not up to what I usually experience in the US.  It wasn't horrible, just average.  There are always exceptions.  But I never experienced the outstanding service that I usually get at our fine dining restaurants in the US.  Still, on the whole, I'd rather see us go to the Euro model.  

My experience has been similar.  

Frankly, I am pretty indifferent to the model.  My understanding is the majority of US servers prefer the current US system and feel like they come out ahead.  Is that perception or reality, who fucking knows.  

I tip well and do appreciate a good server, it can definitely augment the experience.    One of my favorite breweries has great food and beer, but really slow and inattentive servers.  We would go more if they did their jobs better.  

• Hook 'Em 2