Pop Songs (Possibly Girly) that are Great (When No One's Watching)

dcbc

This gal is a lot more talented than she gets credit for, and I think the production on this song is largely fantastic, and a little ground-breaking, at least for the pop consumer market:

And this is pure songwriting genius, with equally fantastic production:

And speaking of pop hooks, one of my favorite tunes of the decade:

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, locodos said:

another one that's too cool to be a pop song...

I saw Nina Gordon once, she put on a pretty damn good show. I don't think I was going to see her, maybe she opened for someone, or someone else opened for her, but it was a really good show.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

194 posts and none of you stupid mother fuckers posted one of the absolute most finest and best voices in the last 30 years?  Go fuck yourselves.

My girl, Gwen Stefani shits over all y'all.  Mother fuckers.

Swear to god, any time this song comes over SirusXM I crank my Burmester speakers full throttle.

My girl got it going on in this one too, you stupid fucks.

4 fucking pages.  God damnit.

Woodlands Pavilion, probably 1996 (scratch that, 1997) No Doubt with support from Cake and The Vandals. Coolest night of my 11 years up to that point.

Dua Lipa has some really great pop songs with top notch production. She's very talented and hot but it's a shame imo to see this version of her disappear in favor of the dancing pop star with backup dancers behind her.

Terrific live version of really really good pop song.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

There is no greater George Michael song than "Faith".

Other than Freedom '90.

2 hours ago, G650 said:

John Mayer is the girliest thing in this whole thread

I can't stand his voice.  Nails on the chalkboard for me.

Stewie likes him though.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/17/2023 at 7:12 AM, TexPx said:

Had this as a ringtone. Waiting to deplane and my phone rings. 20 something chick sitting next to me gives me a thumbs up and says “I love Mariah Carey”
*sigh*

Sunshine!

Gotdamn she was cute. Ironically their next big hit was a cover that people said was about doing Heroin.

Well, I'll be damned.  First time I heard There She Goes, could have sworn it was Sixpence.  Then, looking it up later, found The Las and didnt dig any further.

Very similar sound, minus the vocals.  But I wasn't wrong.  Great song either way.  I had also forgotten that Sixpence was a nominally Christian band out of New Braunfels, originally.

Also, if you doubt it's about hair-on, The Las:

Very Trainspotting.  ETA:  However, The Las and the songwriter specifically deny it.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 7:52 PM, TexasHooch said:

OK, this last one is mildly NSFW

If remixes of 80s songs with attractive women performing athletic movements while wearing skimpy clothing are allowed, then I submit this remix of (I Just) Died In Your Arms Tonight.

I don't recall seeing much if any Lady Gaga on this thread so let me submit some Edge Of Glory for your consumption.

Edited by ScottS
Grammar. And OU sucks.

On 8/20/2023 at 2:55 AM, Fudge Nuggets said:

194 posts and none of you stupid mother fuckers posted one of the absolute most finest and best voices in the last 30 years?  Go fuck yourselves.

My girl, Gwen Stefani shits over all y'all.  Mother fuckers.

Swear to god, any time this song comes over SirusXM I crank my Burmester speakers full throttle.

My girl got it going on in this one too, you stupid fucks.

4 fucking pages.  God damnit.

Well, despite being a cute female vocalist, like The Breeders and some others reffed here, No Doubt has balls and kicks ass, for the most part.  Not girly pop songs.  The ska/punk almost entirely extracts it from girly pop.

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wait . . . there was a question whether Sixpence wrote "There She Goes"?  It was a giant hit for The Las.  And yes, there's definitely an undercurrent of drugs in the lyric.

At least as far as I was concerned, first time I heard it, without attribution, I thought it was Sixpence NTR.  It probably was.

At some point later on, back in the early internet days, I "hotbotted it" or some shit and found The Las, listened, and said, "oh, ok, I see how I was mistaken."    I have it downloaded.  Anytime it plays on KXT, it's The Las. So it was The Las ever since, and never revisited it.

Until now.

At least as far as I was concerned, first time I heard it, without attribution, I thought it was Sixpence NTR.  It probably was.
At some point later on, back in the early internet days, I "hotbotted it" or some shit and found The Las, listened, and said, "oh, ok, I see how I was mistaken."    I have it downloaded.  Anytime it plays on KXT, it's The Las. So it was The Las ever since, and never revisited it.
Until now.

I bought the CD because The Edge used to play it in the early 90s George Gimarc days. It’s a good album.

Also dug Tom Tom Club quite a bit still do.  This I believe from American Psycho, probably better than Genius:

Saw them on the Escape from New York tour along with Ramones, Blondie and Jerry Harrison.

Love this one.

Take us to your leader
Let’s not mess around
Make us come for pizza
We’re from out of town

• Hook 'Em 1