Week 1 2023 - Rice @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

If we're really going to embrace the hate, we need to enter to the imperial death march from Star Wars. 

Someone needs to come up with something new because another network tv time filler covering Jump Around, Enter Sandman, and the Iowa kids hospital wave will surely result in chair throwing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I remember half-joking in real time “Watch us turn this into a thing we do every game where Bob Cole announces it before it happens”. Yep.

I was at that game. It was awesome in real time.

And I remember coming on the board afterwards and seeing this exact post. And now I hate you for being right.

• Hook 'Em 2

There was a time that our band played a brief snippet of Imperial March at times.

Old 97s - State of Texas is one of the best intros we've had.  The fit is perfect and the song is actually about the state/school.  I don't know why we don't play more songs from a Texas band or with a Texas theme.

Cowboys from Hell fits that.  AC/DC - Thunderstruck fits it halfway but might be over-used (I actually haven't heard it in a fair bit).

For chick songs when they must happen Brown-eyed Girl and Wagon Wheel are under utilized.

• Hook 'Em 1

There was a time that our band played a brief snippet of Imperial March at times.
Old 97s - State of Texas is one of the best intros we've had.  The fit is perfect and the song is actually about the state/school.  I don't know why we don't play more songs from a Texas band or with a Texas theme.
Cowboys from Hell fits that.  AC/DC - Thunderstruck fits it halfway but might be over-used (I actually haven't heard it in a fair bit).
For chick songs when they must happen Brown-eyed Girl and Wagon Wheel are under utilized.
I know this sounds weird since it's Texas, but CFH would never be approved in Austin due to the "double barrel 12 gauge" "shootout" and "reach for your gun" lines...even if they dont play those parts or bleep them out. People are simply too sensitive these days.
Edit- Primal concrete sledge is badass and has none of that, but not as recognizable to the masses.

14 minutes ago, JBJ said:

First of all, I resent your implication that Wagon Wheel is a chick song. 

Second, we should 100% us that one. It's old enough now that it's a classic, it's perfect for sing alongs, and it will really piss off all the hill people in the SEC who think they own it. I can't think of another team who uses it right now. 

Third, my personal vote was for Tyler by The Toadies, but I can't imagine the school would actually use it...because of the implications 

34 minutes ago, JBJ said:

We already do Thunderstruck for every hoops game at Moody, complete with orange LED lights and phone lights.

16 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

First of all, I resent your implication that Wagon Wheel is a chick song. 

Second, we should 100% us that one. It's old enough now that it's a classic, it's perfect for sing alongs, and it will really piss off all the hill people in the SEC who think they own it. I can't think of another team who uses it right now. 

Third, my personal vote was for Tyler by The Toadies, but I can't imagine the school would actually use it...because of the implications 

Wagon Wheel is a song about driving from New Hampshire to North Carolina, written by a band from Boone that's based in Nashville. Not a particularly Texan choice.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

They played that in DKR some time ago. 

Whether it's that song, Don't Stop Believin', Jump Around, or some other tune, Texas can't seem to make up it's mind what jingle they want to play to rally the crowd, and we certainly can't be original about it.

Right. I remember a few years back when they tried to make "Jump Around" a thing. It was super cheesy, a rip-off of Wisconsin, and I for one, don't think having tens of thousands of people (many of them fat) jumping up and down on a huge overhanging upper deck like ours week after week is a great idea.

19 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

We already do Thunderstruck for every hoops game at Moody, complete with orange LED lights and phone lights.

I like Thunderstruck because of the repeated mention of, “Texas,” which offers the opportunity for fan participation, but I’m open to other options. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Wagon Wheel is a song about driving from New Hampshire to North Carolina, written by a band from Boone that's based in Nashville. Not a particularly Texan choice.

C'mon, man. Mack Brown is from Boone. Have you forgotten mackbrown-texasfootball.com? Sonofabitch.

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It doesn’t matter their taste. If the students aren’t hype then the stadium isn’t. Plain and simple. 

You mean dusty ass metal from 30 years ago doesn’t get the kids lit? Well, at least the fat olds of DKR are known for bringing the energy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

We’re not going to play fucking K-Pop.

As someone who just got “dragged” to Blackpink in LA by his wife, I resemble this comment.

Lalisa take all my money

Edited by Hank_Hill

38 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yeah but it slaps

35 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Wagon Wheel is the most painfully average, embarrassingly played out song in America. It's like Sweet Caroline but a worse song and less fun. 

that70s-show-oh-is-that-what-were-gonna-

12 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

You mean dusty ass metal from 30 years ago doesn’t get the kids lit? Well, at least the fat olds of DKR are known for bringing the energy. 

JFC this. A bunch of over the hill white dads trying to hype up the football team (all of whom were born after 2000) with played out arena rock. I mean why not just let Army Brat decide so the team can run out to Elvis or some doo wop song. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

JFC this. A bunch of over the hill white dads trying to hype up the football team (all of whom were born after 2000) with played out arena rock. I mean why not just let Army Brat decide so the team can run out to Elvis or some doo wop song. 

This line of thinking 30 years ago would have gotten us Snow belting out "a licky boom boom down" over the crowd.  Arena rock was already old when it started getting played in arenas and stadiums.  It has nothing to do with being the new thing.

Edited by JBJ
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Ok, fine.  Since we can’t let old white guys play their arena rock, and instead we need to find someone the current students know AND who doesn’t run afoul of any politically incorrect controversy, the choice is clear:

spacer.png

Can’t tell me nothing would go. Sure it’s been done somewhere. 

i’ll be watching ewers most closely.

expect to see 300+ yards and 3+ tds. against rice, he should be able to find worthy, whittington, mitchell, neyor, and our stable of wr’s with ease. one or two first game jitters are excusable, a tipped pass intercepted or a couple of others well off target, fine, just hit most of the rest of them. i’m not asking for perfection, not for a burrow 2019 or rg3 2011. just show consistency and poise and accuracy. a bit of ehlinger-esque toughness would be nice too, or at least a bit more leadership - let’s see if he’s matured.

if he can’t manage that against rice, projecting in the top few rounds of the draft with a potential big12 championship on the way out becomes much less likely. he should be dominant against much less talented teams if he’s going to compete in the nfl next year. he should be very good against equally talented teams also, and we’ll learn more about that next week.

hope to see our ground game get established with 200+ yards. with one of our weaknesses being the lack of rb experience, i’d like to see brooks, keilan, and baxter all flash on big plays so we can head to tuscaloosa with a bit of momentum in that room. not only for our own confidence, but having saban need to prep for 3 rb’s couldn’t hurt.

on defense, i think giving up 10 should be the maximum expected. a blown coverage td or pick six or big special teams play, and only one decent drive for the owls ending short but within field goal range. let’s get some pressure on jt and get stops on 3rd downs, a couple of turnovers.

my pick: 42-3

• Hook 'Em 3