Kenny Paxton/Dave P's Impeachment Game Day Thread

atomheartbevo

3 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Anyone that considers voting for anyone with an R next to their name should be embarrassed. Anyone still pretending the GOP is a political party, not a criminal organization, should also be embarrassed

Couldn't agree more. Any GOP holding office can't be embarrassed because they are shameless. Their supporters won't be embarrassed because all they see is what they're meant to see, and they actually choose to be that way.

I think some people in Florida are resisting DeSantis. In Texas, the criminal anti-republic "party" runs free.

Texas is an awful state filled with awful people.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, CTC2 said:

False argument. We have high sales tax, high property tax, high energy costs, poor public education, highest percentage of uninsured people, lots of necks carrying guns and a step away from being a theocracy. 
Pro business, anti human. Great place to live!

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

This is important. The violence, and the threat of violence, is 100% part of the “how fascists come to power, and maintain it” handbook.

We can count on media analysis to continue ignore the big picture and talk about political fallout instead. They're too lazy or timid or stupid or all of it to open their eyes to this real story of intimidation. 

Will this help Abbott with national Republicans? Might he be Trump's running mate? What will be the political backlash against the Dems who knuckled under because they don't see the big picture either. None of that shit matter much against a back drop of a former president leading the field to be his criminal organization's nominee again threatening and demeaning prosecutors, judges, the system, and the entire notion of us being a republic.

Fascism and abuse of power should be covered and discussed like the presence of a massing hostile army on our borders. A real army, not a bunch of exhausted refugees.

And that's only one of two armies poising to destroy us. Climate change and the coming cataclysm cannot be presented whole. It's only reported as ice deficiencies around the Antarctic or the string of hot days or the flooding. Those are the puzzle pieces not the entire assembled jigsaw puzzle.

It's astonishing to me that both of these threats are descending on us with such speed.

I would like to get out of this banana republic, but I will likely never have the means. 

• Rage+1 2

Don't worry, I'm sure it will get better as long as you stay in line and don't do a thing

I didn’t say I blind line vote. Like I said my wife keeps us looking forward. We have tried to do our part to keep the nuts out of school boards and likes, I irritates me to no end that the Paxtons call Collin “home”.

But Collin co is ridiculous

I went from John Wiley Price driving my family crazy to somehow a worse human in Paxton
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

I didn’t say I blind line vote. Like I said my wife keeps us looking forward. We have tried to do our part to keep the nuts out of school boards and likes, I irritates me to no end that the Paxtons call Collin “home”.

But Collin co is ridiculous

I went from John Wiley Price driving my family crazy to somehow a worse human in Paxton

How did JWP drive your family crazy? 

13 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I don’t think I’d hitch myself to JWP as the bastion of ethics. 

Eh, JWP is a crook, but he's an honest crook as they used to say.

I spent some time around the Dallas County Court growing up. When he steered contracts, he did it in his precinct, he always delivered and he never screwed a partner. You could make a deal with JWP and it stayed made.  When South Dallas was about to burn in April 1992,  JWP put his life on the line, literally stood on top of his car with a bullhorn and turned a crowd around.  There are people around commissioners court who would testify against JWP if he was indicted, but for him during sentencing as character witnesses. 
Ken Paxton is a crook like JWP, but he's also a dishonest, untrustworthy piece of shit and he's not worth the shit on JWP's Stacy Adams. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Eh, JWP is a crook, but he's an honest crook as they used to say.

I spent some time around the Dallas County Court growing up. When he steered contracts, he did it in his precinct, he always delivered and he never screwed a partner. You could make a deal with JWP and it stayed made.  When South Dallas was about to burn in April 1992,  JWP put his life on the line, literally stood on top of his car with a bullhorn and turned a crowd around.  There are people around commissioners court who would testify against JWP if he was indicted, but for him during sentencing as character witnesses. 
Ken Paxton is a crook like JWP, but he's also a dishonest, untrustworthy piece of shit and he's not worth the shit on JWP's Stacy Adams. 

He’s a crook with a heart of gold!

• Haha 4

So did the House Republicans just go through this exercise to put a target on their own backs?  Did they ever have any Republican Senators onboard?  

This seems like a huge risk on their part to not have those ducks lined up in a row.  Wouldn't it have been better to just let the Federal cases play out and then use whatever came form that for potential impeachment?

I gotta admit, I'm completely baffled as to their thought process here, given how the Senate has become the maga body in the legislature and the House is the voice of reason. 

• Rage+1 1

https://www.axios.com/2023/09/17/ken-paxton-texas-impeachment-gop

Following a secret campaign coordinated by top Trump allies, Texas state senators yesterday acquitted Attorney General Ken Paxton of all impeachment charges, allowing him to return to his post.

Why it matters: The allegations against Paxton, a close ally of former President Trump, bitterly divided the Texas GOP, Jay R. Jordan of Axios Houston and Nicole Cobler of Axios Austin report.

Behind the scenes: National Republicans organized an under-the-radar campaign of outside conservative pressure on the Texas senators designed to neutralize mainstream media coverage, top strategists tell me.

This outside unofficial team operated independently of the Paxton legal operation — like "a super PAC without the money," a top GOP strategist said.

Pro-Paxton forces also paid social media influencers to defend the attorney general.

The team had a "very well-defined target audience … no different than a confirmation battle," the strategist said.

After winning, Paxton tweeted his thanks to the conservative news outlet National Pulse, a valued player in the under-the-radar drive.

Catch me up: Senators weighed whether Paxton illegally used his office to benefit an Austin real estate developer, and improperly fired some of his top deputies who reported him to the FBI and other agencies.

Despite an overwhelming majority of House Republicans voting to impeach Paxton in May, only two of 18 Republican senators voted to convict Paxton.

So ... how did that happen?

"We didn't care what the MSM (mainstream media) said," the top GOP strategist said.

"We basically ignored them from start to finish. Goal was to fire up the grassroots. A story in National Pulse, Post Millennial and similar publications was more valuable than any harm an A1 NYT story could do."

What we're hearing: It was made clear to Texas GOP senators that they'd face a very well-funded primary opponent in their next election if they voted to impeach.

The two senators who voted to convict, Kelly Hancock and Robert Nichols, don't face re-election until 2026.

How it worked: Steve Bannon was a big Paxton backer on his WarRoom podcast.

Turning Point USA's Charlie Kirk was vital, the strategist said: "He had his people posting senators' office numbers and was giving them out on his show. Driving the senators absolutely crazy."

A few days before the vote, Trump called Paxton "one of the TOUGHEST & BEST Attorney Generals in the Country" and after the vote, Trump congratulated Paxton on his "Texas sized VICTORY."

A day earlier, Paxton posted: "I'm heading to Maine next week to sit down with @TuckerCarlson."

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, also a Trump ally who presided over the trial, received $3 million this summer from a pro-Paxton group called Defend Texas Liberty PAC.

Worth noting: Minutes after the trial was over, Patrick lambasted the impeachment, calling it a waste of time and money, and said he would order a state audit into the costs.

Dade Phelan, the Republican House speaker, fired back, saying he found it "deeply concerning" that Patrick "would conclude by confessing his bias. ... The inescapable conclusion is that today's outcome appears to have been orchestrated from the start, cheating the people of Texas of justice."

• Rage+1 5

Criminal organization looking after one of its own. The top cop in Texas, corrupt through and through, is now totally controlled by the fascist leader of the fascist anti-republic party.

I think I got that right.

The good guys are doing great in this struggle. I see the power of the GOP mob collapsing any day now.

Which Housewives show should we watch tonight? 

No, honey, there's NFL Sunday nights.

Then your giant pickup truck and my giant SUV better be clean when we wake up to drive to our offices.

Fair enough, honey.  Or we could watch the news.

[Both explode in laughter.]

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

So did the House Republicans just go through this exercise to put a target on their own backs?  Did they ever have any Republican Senators onboard?  

This seems like a huge risk on their part to not have those ducks lined up in a row.  Wouldn't it have been better to just let the Federal cases play out and then use whatever came form that for potential impeachment?

I gotta admit, I'm completely baffled as to their thought process here, given how the Senate has become the maga body in the legislature and the House is the voice of reason. 

It feels like they had commitments from enough senators to convict, then MAGA got to some of them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

It feels like they had commitments from enough senators to convict, then MAGA got to some of them. 

The article posted by Francisco outlines pretty nicely how Charlie Kirk (yes really) and the rest of the right wing troll army worked with the national republican party to pressure these local corruption issues. 

Welcome to the new normal. We don't enforce the party's laws against the party! That would be doubleminus bad

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bookman said:

So, from what I'm reading, this is what Trump wanted. Looks like Paxton's frivolous lawsuit to overturn the election paid a dividend, and now the Texas Senate looks corrupt.

"... now the Texas Senate looks corrupt."  Excuse me?  Looks corrupt?  We've basically just shown our ass and stated that as long as our party is in power, the laws and rules no longer apply.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 2

24 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

And now Patrick says he wants to audit the House's expenditures on the impeachment trial.

The GQP civil war is here, friends.  It's going to get ugly.

NPR in Dallas had a segment this morning from Collin County where they asked a local R bigwig about what it meant.  She straight out said that the House Rs voting for impeachment from Collin County are going to get primaried.  But the main take away from the article is that only a small number of people are paying attention at all to politics.  So the apathy is a killer.  That's the space that minority tyrants grow in.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

NPR in Dallas had a segment this morning from Collin County where they asked a local R bigwig about what it meant.  She straight out said that the House Rs voting for impeachment from Collin County are going to get primaried.  But the main take away from the article is that only a small number of people are paying attention at all to politics.  So the apathy is a killer.  That's the space that minority tyrants grow in.

Yeah, if there is a "civil war" in the party, I don't see how the far-right side of the party doesn't come out on top. They are the ones that really care to vote in primaries, get people organized, and get out the vote. I gotta think they are going to be much more enthused than the random guy who likes low taxes and didn't realize until he sees it on the news that today was the day to go vote in the primary.

45 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

But therein lies the problem for the GQP.  That means they're primarying almost all of the GQP members of the House.

And that's a real problem for them because that means they're going to end up with a lot of unelectable general-election candidates.  The House districts are tiny.  There are 150 house districts.  That means that each House district only represents about 200,000 people.  With districts that small, it is hard to put into place a very effective gerrymander.  That's reflected in the partisan makeup of the chamber: there are 83 Republicans, which at 55% pretty closely matches Abbott's share of the vote.

That also means that you have a lot of districts that are close-ish.  And in those close-ish districts, you have moderate Republicans, who are the only kinds of Republicans who are going to win that district.

I mean, you can primary Morgan Meyer if you want.  You can replace Morgan on the general-election ballot with the biggest MAGA crazy you can find.  That'll show Morgan--that RINO cuck.  Oh, but then a Democrat is going to win that seat in November.  Because that district isn't voting for a MAGA crazy.

So yeah--this GQP civil war is going to be fun.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

But therein lies the problem for the GQP.  That means they're primarying almost all of the GQP members of the House.

And that's a real problem for them because that means they're going to end up with a lot of unelectable general-election candidates.  The House districts are tiny.  There are 150 house districts.  That means that each House district only represents about 200,000 people.  With districts that small, it is hard to put into place a very effective gerrymander.  That's reflected in the partisan makeup of the chamber: there are 83 Republicans, which at 55% pretty closely matches Abbott's share of the vote.

That also means that you have a lot of districts that are close-ish.  And in those close-ish districts, you have moderate Republicans, who are the only kinds of Republicans who are going to win that district.

I mean, you can primary Morgan Meyer if you want.  You can replace Morgan on the general-election ballot with the biggest MAGA crazy you can find.  That'll show Morgan--that RINO cuck.  Oh, but then a Democrat is going to win that seat in November.  Because that district isn't voting for a MAGA crazy.

This is my hope. That MAGA fucks around and flips the Texas house. But we can't have nice things, so...

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Or Democrats screw it up again, and we wind up with a radical house, and they cause to be enacted a "State Electoral College" (Platform item 34, RPT), which in turn prevents a terrified majority from replacing its government. 

"34. State Electoral College: The State Legislature shall cause to be enacted a State Constitutional Amendment creating an electoral college consisting of electors selected by the popular votes cast within each individual state senatorial district, who shall then elect all statewide office holders."

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

23 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

You sure about that? We are talking about the Park Cities here.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

We are talking about the Park Cities here.

Meyer represents House District 108 which encompasses parts of Downtown Dallas, Uptown Dallas, East Dallas (including portions of the M Streets and Lakewood), Preston Hollow, North Dallas, Lake Highlands, the City of University Park, and the Town of Highland Park.

Judging from my Lake Highlands neighbors, it's a bit more Repub than if it were just Highland Park. Not sure how much East Dallas it gets.

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

Bingo.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yeah, if there is a "civil war" in the party, I don't see how the far-right side of the party doesn't come out on top. They are the ones that really care to vote in primaries, get people organized, and get out the vote. I gotta think they are going to be much more enthused than the random guy who likes low taxes and didn't realize until he sees it on the news that today was the day to go vote in the primary.

And Bingo again.

We're going to see a GQP civil war.  It will cause some carnage, but mostly, it will solidify the GQP as the party of nutbar christofascism, and the apathy and uneducated nature of the electorate (I gotta vote Republican, I'm a Texan who has guns and I cain't vote for communism and high taxes!) will ensure they are the controlling party for the foreseeable future.

Imagine how bad it's going to get in Texas.  Nope.  It's going to be a LOT worse than that.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Bingo.

And Bingo again.

We're going to see a GQP civil war.  It will cause some carnage, but mostly, it will solidify the GQP as the party of nutbar christofascism, and the apathy and uneducated nature of the electorate (I gotta vote Republican, I'm a Texan who has guns and I cain't vote for communism and high taxes!) will ensure they are the controlling party for the foreseeable future.

Imagine how bad it's going to get in Texas.  Nope.  It's going to be a LOT worse than that.

Yes because rank and file Republican Party card-carrying Texans won't care how fascist/crazy their candidate is, so long as he or she has an R beside the name, they'll get the vote.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Well, whatever comes of this, I hope Nathan Johnson gets a bump.  Not sure if he's interested in a bigger statewide office. He's a family man. Someday, God willing, he may want to be Governor.

At this point I'd be happy with Navin R. Johnson

GIANTMONSTER

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, whatever comes of this, I hope Nathan Johnson gets a bump.  Not sure if he's interested in a bigger statewide office. He's a family man. Someday, God willing, he may want to be Governor.

Nathan is a fantastic guy.  Both he and his wife are old friends from law school, and I can't emphasize enough what outstanding human beings they are.

TLDR; they are much too good for Texas politics.

Meyer represents House District 108 which encompasses parts of Downtown Dallas, Uptown Dallas, East Dallas (including portions of the M Streets and Lakewood), Preston Hollow, North Dallas, Lake Highlands, the City of University Park, and the Town of Highland Park.

Judging from my Lake Highlands neighbors, it's a bit more Repub than if it were just Highland Park. Not sure how much East Dallas it gets.

https://morganmeyerfortexas.com/district-108/

Just now, DDD Dad said:

Basically the entire golden corridor of north Dallas (including Park Cities) all the way into Downtown, Lake Highlands, Bluffview/Preston Hollow etc., and then on the east side it includes the M Streets, Lakewood Heights & Wilshire Heights (basically between M Streets and Lakewood), and the western half of Lakewood proper (from Abrams to about half way to the lake).