Monarch: Legacy of Monsters - Godzilla, Titans, MonsterVerse, Kurt & Wyatt Russel, John Goodman, Apple TV Series, Nov 17

atomheartbevo

6th installment in the MonsterVerse (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MonsterVerse) that started with the 2014 Godzilla.

Wyatt plays a young version of his dad Kurt it looks like.

-------

When monsters emerge, secrets follow. Monarch: Legacy of Monsters premieres November 17 on Apple TV+

Following the thunderous battle between Godzilla and the Titans that leveled San Francisco, and the shocking revelation that monsters are real, “Monarch: Legacy of Monsters” tracks two siblings following in their father’s footsteps to uncover their family’s connection to the secretive organization known as Monarch. Clues lead them into the world of monsters and ultimately down the rabbit hole to Army Officer Lee Shaw (played by Kurt Russell and Wyatt Russell), taking place in the 1950s and half a century later where Monarch is threatened by what Shaw knows.

The dramatic saga — spanning three generations — reveals buried secrets and the ways that epic, earth-shattering events can reverberate through our lives.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I didn't really realize that the MonsterVerse thing was still a thing, I mean I knew about the King Kong ties, but still.

The godzilla x Kong sequel comes out next year. And in a couple months there’s a godzilla vs kong vs justice league crossover comic series coming out. I mean so I hear I don’t keep up with that nerdy shit

Over the summer the skull island anime series was released on Netflix and I accidentally watched all 8 episodes as a joke. It was pretty meh, this show looks better.

Edited by Helobious

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Suitable for kids? 

There's no graphic violence or r-rated language. There is a lot of monster-destruction and some deaths that might be disturbing for some kids (a school bus full of kids falls off a bridge) but nothing graphic so far. There are some intense sequences of monsters attacking people that some kids may not handle well, but again, nothing graphic.

It does however switch back and forth between several timelines so it might be tough for young-young kids to follow.

So far it's really good.

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

This is excellent.

5 years ago, who would’ve thought that the Godzilla-Kong universe would pump out better TV shows than Marvel but here we are.

5 years ago, who would’ve thought that Apple TV would become old-school  HBO while HBO becomes Max with Chip and Joanna Gaines.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

44 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

5 years ago, who would’ve thought that Apple TV would become old-school  HBO while HBO becomes Max with Chip and Joanna Gaines.  

This.  Game of Thrones, Big Little Lies season 1, Veep and Westworld season 1 were the peak of HBO, so 2010-2016 or so. All downhill since - either they give us something good and cancel it (Winning Time) or it’s just crap (The Idol) and they sprinkle in a winner here and there (Righteous Gemstones and White Lotus) to offset the garbage. 

Apple TV seems to hit more home runs - Foundation, For all Mankind, The Morning Show, Severance, Silo, Monarch, Ted Lasso, etc 

• Hook 'Em 1

Watched first 2 episodes last night, really digging it hard so far. Over the past month I re-watched the 4 monsterverse movies, which I think helped a little but isn’t totally necessary.
If Anna Sawai wants to see the real godzilla she can unzip my pants sometime. Provided she gives consent beforehand. 

I'm watching with my 12yo and we both love it.

He refused to watch movies when he was younger.  Would literally run from the room or hide under the sofa.  Felt like a personal attack - I was RTF at UT and worked as a grip/video assist on a 30+ films.

He eventually started to come around when he was 10 and was interested in monsters.  We have watched every Godzilla movie ever made starting with the 1954 OG and on through the next 35+.  Its our thing and was a great bonding experience.

It's so much fun to watch with him and see how excited he is for it.  Makes this dad really happy.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 8:56 PM, hobbes2702 said:

Suitable for kids? 

I was watching the second episode the other night and my 8 year old sat down next to me and watched the whole thing. He had been in the kitchen getting a snack or something and a monster scene immediately had him interested. I haven't seen anything in this show that is a problem.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I think I watched a Godzilla movie a few years ago with Bryan Cranston. Is that enough to hop in at this point?

I rewatched it just to make sure as well. You should be good to go, although I am guessing seeing Skull Island will be helpful for later episodes.

• Hook 'Em 1

Me and ctj are into the same show? Show ruined.

I think Skull Island is maybe the most important monsterverse movie for this show. Godzilla 2014 was made mostly as a stand-alone, before they knew they had a viable movie universe, but skull island was made to lay the foundation of it all. Watching those 2 would probably help with understanding the characters and Easter eggs. The latter 2 in the franchise maybe less so, as this series takes place before them. 

Seeing the title and thumbnail, I thought zero chance that I would watch it but with reviews here and on the internet, I’m giving it a shot.

im a sucker for time jumping shows and they do a great job of wanting me to see more. It’s always amazing to me that some shows cannot create the suspense of wanting to see the next scene. This show is the opposite. 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Seeing the title and thumbnail, I thought zero chance that I would watch it but with reviews here and on the internet, I’m giving it a shot.

im a sucker for time jumping shows and they do a great job of wanting me to see more. It’s always amazing to me that some shows cannot create the suspense of wanting to see the next scene. This show is the opposite. 

I’m more intrigued of the jump backs. Those characters are killing it as a trio. 

Dr Mura is a badass 

• Hook 'Em 2

Okay, so this show is good, but not great, right? 

On 11/18/2023 at 7:01 AM, Js1 said:

This.  Game of Thrones, Big Little Lies season 1, Veep and Westworld season 1 were the peak of HBO, so 2010-2016 or so. All downhill since - either they give us something good and cancel it (Winning Time) or it’s just crap (The Idol) and they sprinkle in a winner here and there (Righteous Gemstones and White Lotus) to offset the garbage. 

Apple TV seems to hit more home runs - Foundation, For all Mankind, The Morning Show, Severance, Silo, Monarch, Ted Lasso, etc 

This post made me look up Westworld for another run, and it's not available on Max....what the fuck is that about? 

1 hour ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

This post made me look up Westworld for another run, and it's not available on Max....what the fuck is that about? 

Almost as soon as it wrapped up, they dumped it on Tubi or Vudu or some shit, and then it got moved to another service which I've never had (I think it's an AT&T-only thing).

Made no fucking sense whatsoever, other than a harbinger of things to come with HBO.