This team is scary good

ztejas

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Well Brady is almost 50

Since we’re talking dumbassed hypotheticals, who would you rather have playing QB right now? Today’s um, wiser VY, today’s Tom Brady, or today’s QE? Brett Favre could have no arms and no legs and still be the best torso in the NFL 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Probably a push on OL and front 7 (lol that this group is better). Agreed on receivers.  TBD on RBs. Disagree on TE being a wash. I’m a big D Thomas fan but JT is better (as was J Mike). JT is the best I’ve seen. 

While everything else is largely VY, and that is a huge advantage (not an indictment on QE - just hard to compare to best CFB player of all time), I’d argue the secondary figures largely into “everything else” and I love our current secondary. 

This front 7 is better.  Our 2005 LBs were really weak and covered by one of the greatest collection of DB talent I have ever seen.  Killabrew was a walking personal foul and did nothing well.  Harris was above average.  Bobino was below average.

The DL is a push as both are top notch.  But these linebackers are much better than 2005 group.

This is the best front 7 we have had other than maybe the 2008--09 group.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Ramonce or JC is starting every game. I feel like I’m taking crazy pills with some of the takes in this thread. Ramonce in this kinda offense would be so scary. 

There’s not an olineman on this roster at the level of Blalock or Scott

Exactly. Ramonce was a WR at the start of the 05 season because we had so much talent at RB. And he still was a fucking STUD RB.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Good point. Cedric Griffin, Michael Huff, Michael Griffin, Aaron Ross, Tarrell Brown. Shit. Best unit ever to have walked the 40 acres.

It was an astounding abundance of riches, and again, I think our back 5 now is very good. 

3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Wut lol? 

I edited because for some reason I missed some key words: they weren’t in Top 3 of preceding 10 years of Texas line play. Somewhere slightly before that, I think the lines that held Mike Williams, Leonard Davis, Neil and Dockery might object. Ricky Williams might object. 

‘05 was a damned good line. But it wasn’t the best of all time or even one of the best. We won with overall talent at every position except probably the LBs and WRs, even though they were good. QB and secondary were the best ever. OL and DL were really good. 

3 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

This front 7 is better.  Our 2005 LBs were really weak and covered by one of the greatest collection of DB talent I have ever seen.  Killabrew was a walking personal foul and did nothing well.  Harris was above average.  Bobino was below average.

The DL is a push as both are top notch.  But these linebackers are much better than 2005 group.

This is the best front 7 we have had other than maybe the 2008--09 group.

Crazy stuff. Aaron Harris lead a team in tackles as a freshman that had Derrick Johnson on it. The other two LBs you’re right. The DL isn’t the level of 05. Robison, Okam, Wright, and Crowder were starters. We don’t have anything like that on the edge 

• Hook 'Em 2

Right now, after four games, I’m feeling reminiscent of the 2008 team at this point.  Emphasize “at this point.” 

As you all recall, our 2008 team came off of a 2007 team that current Texas fans would jizz over, but it was disappointing at the time. Sure we won 10 games again and a Holiday Bowl. But our Willie Mac Duff defense sucked elephant shit through a straw, and Colt had a very shaky sophomore season. We didn’t have a win in early 2008 like the one in Tuscaloosa a couple weeks ago. But I do remember in the weeks leading up to OU in 08 that I had a hell of a lot of fun watching the Horns and a feeling that our team might have a pretty damn good season. I’m feeling that way now. Not national championship or even the playoff. But I think we’ll get to the conference championship game, and along the way show something that we’ll build on for next season and beyond. 

I’m liking the hell out of this team.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Ramonce or JC is starting every game. I feel like I’m taking crazy pills with some of the takes in this thread. Ramonce in this kinda offense would be so scary. 

There’s not an olineman on this roster at the level of Blalock or Scott. There’s def nothing close to Sendlein at C on this roster. 

Banks will be much more highly drafted than anyone in ‘05. He is hands down better than Scott right now. Blalock was an absolute force. I agree upon reflection on RBs. RT was just a game breaker wherever you put him. JC as a freshman - it was unknown just how good he was until after VY left and he single-handedly won us 2-3 games in ‘07. I need to tap the breaks there though. I am a huge fan of Brooks and CJ, and the only reason I said it was a wash is because JC was only a freshman, was a little banged up, and most of our rushing O came from Vince and RT had more of an impact as a receiver. 

8 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Banks will be much more highly drafted than anyone in ‘05. He is hands down better than Scott right now. Blalock was an absolute force. I agree upon reflection on RBs. RT was just a game breaker wherever you put him. JC as a freshman - it was unknown just how good he was until after VY left and he single-handedly won us 2-3 games in ‘07. I need to tap the breaks there though. I am a huge fan of Brooks and CJ, and the only reason I said it was a wash is because JC was only a freshman, was a little banged up, and most of our rushing O came from Vince and RT had more of an impact as a receiver. 

And we gave a lot of carries to Selvin, who was not anything special by 2005 due to injuries and weight gain.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

It was an astounding abundance of riches, and again, I think our back 5 now is very good. 

I edited because for some reason I missed some key words: they weren’t in Top 3 of preceding 10 years of Texas line play. Somewhere slightly before that, I think the lines that held Mike Williams, Leonard Davis, Neil and Dockery might object. Ricky Williams might object. 

‘05 was a damned good line. But it wasn’t the best of all time or even one of the best. We won with overall talent at every position except probably the LBs and WRs, even though they were good. QB and secondary were the best ever. OL and DL were really good. 

Is this real life? Ricky’s line contained Leonard Davis for 1 year. Dan Neil never played with Davis. Leonard, Dockery and Williams were part of the same line that got dominated by Oklahoma and turned the evil Roy Williams into an SI cover athlete.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

That’s great. Banks is awesome. The rest of the line couldn’t figure out how to block Rice.

14 total sacks allowed that season with a QB that likes to run.

Edited by hobbes2702

28 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Todays Tom Brady. 

(mean, mean stride)

Kevin Hart Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

17 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

The 69 national champs was way better. The amount of lunch pails and coaches on the field on that roster would surely  roll over this years schedule. 

Back in the day I was the 69 champ in my own bed and head.

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

05 team also isn’t goin to the 4th tied with fucking Wyoming. 

Ill take 05 all day, every day and 33 times on Saturday.

Haha Vince young on any Texas team and I’m picking them bro. It was more of a if we nitpick about every little mother fucking detail then every team we have had has some wtf moments. Clemson won two titles sleep walking for damn near all their conference games, you wouldn’t take that? Alabama fans were so spoiled that saban had to shit talk them in a post game interview. We are 4-0, closing out games doing whatever the fuck we have to do win, and this team is “scary” good lol. I understand this board has a million people and so every perspective is represented here, that’s just mine. Show me a loss!! 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Is this real life? Ricky’s line contained Leonard Davis for 1 year. Dan Neil never played with Davis. Leonard, Dockery and Williams were part of the same line that got dominated by Oklahoma and turned the evil Roy Williams into an SI cover athlete.

I never said Neil played with Davis. I cited 10 years prior to the ‘05 season. Davis and Leonard were much more highly thought of that even Blalock, as was Brock. Our lines from ‘96–‘06 were all pretty good. Most in any of those years were better than anything we have seen since about last year. The ‘05 line was very good but it was not the best ever or whatever hyperbole someone was trying to claim. 

1 minute ago, Porterhouse said:

I never said Neil played with Davis. I cited 10 years prior to the ‘05 season. Davis and Leonard were much more highly thought of that even Blalock, as was Brock. Our lines from ‘96–‘06 were all pretty good. Most in any of those years were better than anything we have seen since about last year. The ‘05 line was very good but it was not the best ever or whatever hyperbole someone was trying to claim. 

I look at it this way…

05 gave up pressures against really good teams.

23 was giving up sacks to Rice.

1 minute ago, OU Sucks said:

A Wyoming team that barely escaped with a win yesterday against....checks notes....App State.

App State is really good, they gave North Carolina all they could handle in Chapel Hill. App State also essentially had the ball the entire game.

Wyoming winning that game was nothing short of a miracle. That's the sign of a solid team. Finding a way to win despite the circumstances.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Atticus said:

App State is really good, they gave North Carolina all they could handle in Chapel Hill. App State also essentially had the ball the entire game.

Wyoming winning that game was nothing short of a miracle. That's the sign of a solid team. Finding a way to win despite the circumstances.

Just now, The_Great_Hornsby said:

App State isnt dogshit. They beat the aggies ass and gave Mack Brown a heart attack. 

I wouldn't go as far as saying App State is really good.  They also gave UNC a scare last year, but ended up 3-5 in the Sun Belt, with some really bad losses.  But they will forever be #1 in my heart for embarrassing aggy.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

A Wyoming team that barely escaped with a win yesterday against....checks notes....App State.

I mean, didn’t Mack’s UNC need OT to beat App State? 

Edited by B00M
They’re somewhere between really good and not dogshit
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Ah ok I misunderstood. Either way it’s not hyperbole to talk about the dominance of that line. They averaged 5.5 yards a carry that season, gave up very few sacks, dominated a pretty good USC dline, and realistically were never challenged. Despite the stars of 1996-2003 none had as complete of an offensive line or even close to it. 

31 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Ah ok I misunderstood. Either way it’s not hyperbole to talk about the dominance of that line. They averaged 5.5 yards a carry that season, gave up very few sacks, dominated a pretty good USC dline, and realistically were never challenged. Despite the stars of 1996-2003 none had as complete of an offensive line or even close to it. 

Umm without Vince’s rushing yards we had 9 carries for 46 yards. I’m not sure we dominated USC’s dline lol. Everything else is spot on. That was a great team, top to bottom.  

34 minutes ago, BevoAbyss said:

Let me get this straight:

Sark and the Horns now have a mighty 4-game winning streak, scoring 34 points per game, and beat one good team (a down Bama team). So not only is Texas "back" from the desert, this team now rivals the 2005 team? Huh?

The 2005 team had a 20-game winning streak, averaged 50 points per game (could have been 70 points per game if Mack kept the foot on the gas). Won two Rose Bowls, beat Top 5 Ohio State in the Shoe, won Big 12 title 70-3 and it could have been 100-3. Beat the Trojans in perhaps the greatest college game of all time. The list of superlatives is endless, as previous posters pointed out. 

Simply put: 2005 Texas is simply one of the top 3 greatest college football teams of all time.  

Comparing the 2023 team to 2005 is likely the most delusional take I've ever seen in 33 years online. It's so delusional, I fear the football gods will reanimate Seven-Win Steve to gut punch every one of us ... back to reality.

Nobody said this team rivals ‘05. Come on dude. 

This team is better than last year's. That is about as far as I'm willing to go.

SO as far ss 2005 goes, there were about 4 or 5 teams from that season that were national championship calibre from the first game on..just a lot of depth, quality and experience. 

So far this year no team is coming out of the gate like that.

• Like 1

I don’t know how this thread devolved into a comparison of this 4-0 team that struggled against Rice and Wyoming to a few of the top 10 teams in Texas history. 

Comparing this team to the 08 or 09 teams is a fantasy at this point. The 09 team had 2 of the top 5 offensive players in college football, and the second best defensive player in college football. 11 of the primary 12 defenders on that team defense were drafted. The offensive line was ass, sure, but having the best quarterback in college football does wonders for your offense. As an aside, would love to see what Sark could do with Goodwin.

Even mentioning this team in the same breath as 05 is so stupid it doesn’t even deserve a response.

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I don’t know how this thread devolved into a comparison of this 4-0 team that struggled against Rice and Wyoming to a few of the top 10 teams in Texas history. 

Comparing this team to the 08 or 09 teams is a fantasy at this point. The 09 team had 2 of the top 5 offensive players in college football, and the best defensive player in college football. 11 of the primary 12 defenders on that team defense were drafted. The offensive line was ass, sure, but having the best quarterback in college football does wonders for your offense. As an aside, would love to see what Sark could do with Goodwin.

Even mentioning this team in the same breath as 05 is so stupid it doesn’t even deserve a response.

I said this team wasn’t as good as ‘08 and never would compare them to ‘05. I have compared position groups but with the QB and secondary, any comparison of the overall teams is so ridiculous that literally nobody is doing it. I should walk back my ‘09 comments. This team is more talented than ‘09 and it’s not particularly close. But with Colt and Ship, ‘23 isn’t there. 

Goodwin?  As in Marquise?  He wouldn’t see the field. Are you serious. 

Some of yall werent old enough to remember 05 and it shows. Vince Young and co. would do unspeakable acts to this team and would win 10/10 against them. Sorry. Doesn't mean this current team isn't good, it's just that the 05 team was the best team of all time.

Our 2005 receivers and linebackers were pedestrian. And the running backs were not elite except for Jamaal Charles who was gimpy and young.

2001 Miami Hurricanes were loaded, except there’s a huge drop at QB.

5 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I said this team wasn’t as good as ‘08 and never would compare them to ‘05. I have compared position groups but with the QB and secondary, any comparison of the overall teams is so ridiculous that literally nobody is doing it. I should walk back my ‘09 comments. This team is more talented than ‘09 and it’s not particularly close. But with Colt and Ship, ‘23 isn’t there. 

Goodwin?  As in Marquise?  He wouldn’t see the field. Are you serious. 

Marquis Goodwin, the guy who was an Olympian, drafted in the 3rd round and is still in the NFL? Yeah I think Sark just might be able to find a way to get him on the field.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Marquis Goodwin, the guy who was an Olympian, drafted in the 3rd round and is still in the NFL? Yeah I think Sark just might be able to find a way to get him on the field.

Hard to see a guy that never had more than 33 catches or 421 yards in a season and only 1,364 / 7 TDs in a 4-year career getting much playing time over Worthy or Mitchell.  I wouldn’t want him taking any targets away from those guys, and certainly not JT, or Whitt / Cook. 

17 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Hard to see a guy that never had more than 33 catches or 421 yards in a season and only 1,364 / 7 TDs in a 4-year career getting much playing time over Worthy or Mitchell.  I wouldn’t want him taking any targets away from those guys, and certainly not JT, or Whitt / Cook. 

Those stats are exactly why I said I would love to see what Sark could do with him. I agree, Greg Davis was clueless, and catching balls from Gilbert, Case and Ash must have really sucked. One of the best things about Sark is he knows how to use talented skill guys.

Edit to add: not suggesting Goodwin is even close to as good as Worthy.

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

Wyoming has a predicament. 

Peasley is a gamer at QB but he's really not that talented. That Svoboda guy probably gives them a higher ceiling but I'm not sure they will pull the trigger. Svoboda is definitely a better passer. 

This team should never be compared with 05. EVER.

2005 Horns OVERCAME the shitty offensive scheme. They took a basic ZR and lead the country in scoring at I believe 51 pts per game( just going from memory). Ramonce Taylor was an NFL player but he just couldn't keep his head on straight. People forget about Selvin Young, another guy who saw time in the NFL. Then Charles ended up being one of the best RBs in NFL history. Someone said our receivers this year are better than 05. You know what our receivers did in 05? They caught the fucking ball. One of our most iconic moments that year was a receiver catching a high ball over two defenders to beat Ohio State on the road. Get the fuck outta here until our current receivers play that big in a moment that big. The line back then played angry. 4 of them went to the league. You know they were good because 180lb Colt McCoy wore out OU with them as a Freshman and he didn't even get his jersey dirty.

Defensively their LB corp was shit, but they didn't need them. MGriff and Huff cleaned everything up. D-Line was as good as this one, but the secondary was where we were special. We had 3 bad ass corners. You know you are good when a thorpe award winner has to play nickel. We didn't even run anything exotic either. A-Ross was a gifted returner. They all had ball skills, and Griff and Huff had a lot of range.

That said, those guys paled in comparison to the 09 group. 136 tackles for loss. 46 sacks. 25 INTs. 99 PBUs. Caused 25 fumbles. Muschamp's group....absolute monsters. ET, Keenan, Kindle, Houston, the Browns, the Achos, Aaron Williams, Randall, Okafor, and Vaccaro all got run in the league.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Those stats are exactly why I said I would love to see what Sark could do with him. I agree, Greg Davis was clueless, and catching balls from Gilbert, Case and Ash must have really sucked. One of the best things about Sark is he knows how to use talented skill guys.

I don’t necessarily blame GD so much as Mack for whiffing and RGIII amongst others. MG had nobody throwing to him save for Ash in ‘11 or ‘12. But I wouldn’t trade this receiving corps for any we have ever had. 

Goodwin was better than Worthy. Worthy drops too many balls, gives up on routes, and has a small catch radius. In modern game, Worthy can play slot in the NFL and roam around a bit.

I dont recall Goodwin having any holes in his game. But he missed Spring ball and so they limited his plays and targets. And our passing game during 2010-12 was atrocious.

Worthy has too many drops but I think we undervalue how good he really is. 

Sark brings up almost every press conference that "When teams start doubling Worthy we are going to show you that other guys can beat you." Sark has pretty much insinuated that teams are throwing multiple defenders at Worthy every game. 

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You do know App State is pretty good right? They almost beat a ranked North Carolina team on the road. 

You do know two people above you said the same thing, right?  They "almost beat" UNC last year and then went on to go 3-5 in the Sun Belt, with some bad losses like Georgia Southern and Texas State.  They'll likely do about the same this year.  Anyway, this is getting way off topic.  This year's team has the talent to be elite, but it will come down to execution (stop dropping passes and punts, minimize dumb penalties) and consistent QB play.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

They "almost beat" UNC last year and then went on to go 3-5 in the Sun Belt, with some bad losses like Georgia Southern and Texas State.  They'll likely do about the same this year.  

Now go figure out why those losses happened. 

App State had a bunch of critical injuries in the middle of the season last year. Will that happen again? I'm not sure but it's why G5 teams playing multiple P5 teams likely isn't a wise strategy. App State beat aggy and played UNC close last year but they also took a beating physically. 

Porterhouse and others have come in with so many bad takes I couldn’t figure out which posts to neg. 

There were 49 NFL players on the field between USC and Texas. 49! So STFU about the 2023 Texas team, at least until they’ve done something. Anything. Stupid effing takes. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1