This team is scary good

ztejas

1 minute ago, deadshank said:

At some point, this team will be required to string together 4 complete quarters of superb execution and make deal-sealing plays.  They need to learn how that is done.  They haven't yet. The term "scary" is just a silly click bait type of descriptor.  This team has potential. 

Scary?  Nah.  Some recent Bama teams, '05 Texas, Miami at its zenith were "scary."  

This squad has some scary talent.  As a team, they aren't scary.

Let's fight.

I don't think I've seen a single team string together 4 quarters of play vs quality competition this year.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

I think this team has the potential to be more like a '00-'02 Texas team than '05,'08, or '09. 

Maybe they’ll close the deal for a shot at a national championship rather than lose the conference championship game to a team they pummeled in-season. I could live with that. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

26 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

There are probably 2 or 3 teams in college that can give Texas a full 4 quarter game. If Texas plays to its talent and ability, every conference game will look like Baylor.

Hell, just look at the Alabama game, they took the lead late in the 3Q, and Texas woke up and scored 21 points in 8 minutes and then ran out the last 7 minutes of the clock running it down the throats of a tired Bama defense.

I think I’ll go watch this game again.  Makes me feel good!

13 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

He's great when he's running in a straight line, no doubt.  On routes over the middle and shit where he has to out-work a defender with his routes, footwork, and cuts?  I ain't seen anything that special out of him.  

13 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

Somehow me thinking he's not a super-elite route runner has devolved into a dogpile where it looks like I hate the kid.  

LOL.

Xavier definitely has elite speed, quickness, and route running. 

That's essentially the same move he got wide open with against Alabama (and dropped). 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

LOL.

Xavier definitely has elite speed, quickness, and route running. 

That's essentially the same move he got wide open with against Alabama (and dropped). 

Hey the same route I linked from YouTube. 

That tosu 05 squad would absolutely skullfuck Bama 23. They had 10 guys drafted in top 3 rounds that yr next, the 06 draft had 5 first rounders alone. That was a stacked squad. 

In their first 5 games, the most points they scored? 34. Big wins over Miami of Ohio and SDSU. Just lit their asses up. They scored 40+ 4 times against shitty Big 10 teams. Lost to PSU 17-10. So absolutely?

I didn’t say they weren’t better than Bama. I didn’t say they wouldn’t win. But OSU did lose twice. To act as though Bama is void of talent is premature. There’s also a good chance that Bama defense would do well versus that OSU offense.

Anthony Gonzalez, Bobby Carpenter, Ted Ginn. Donte Witner, All first rounders. None worthy.

Hawk, Mangold, Holmes were all good but were all average given their draft positions.

12 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Fan guesses as to where guys on this team get drafted in 24

Ewers-Top 10. He'll kill it in the workouts and someone will fall in love

Sweat- rd 1. Monster

Sanders-late 1st-2nd. I've previously argued that NFL teams tend to prefer 6'5+ tight ends early, but he's continued to improve plus Kincaid went 25th last year and JT is better and bigger and healthier.

Worthy- rd 2. Ideal scenario he's an elite #2 receiver with big play capability. 

Collins rd 3-4

Ford- rd 4-5

Mitchell rd 4-5

Jones rd 4-6

Watts rd 5-6

Catalon rd 7-udfa

Whitt udfa

Keilon and Kitan could stick around on ST. Brooks could be a late pick if he continues to play like he has and decides to go. Sorrell and Murphy are on boards also,  it would be mutually beneficial to get them back I imagine

Here's where I'd have them. I think Brooks, Collins, and maybe Mitchell (is his mentality more like LJH or JWhitt?) are the best bets to return. Murphy should go make his money imo.

Round 1: Quinn, Sanders

Rounds 1-2: Worthy, Barron

Rounds 2-3 Ford, Sweat, Murphy

Rounds 3-4: Jones, Collins

Rounds 5-7: Brooks, Mitchell, Gbenda

UDFA: Watts, Crawford, Robinson, Whittington, Catalon,

Notes: I believe in Sweat but first round is tough. My big question with Collins and the draft is whether teams view him as flexible or a tweener. Mitchell could rise with a couple big games and a good combine. I think Jones will rise once he gets to the senior bowl and interviews. Watts would get drafted if he played special teams. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Here's where I'd have them. I think Brooks, Collins, and maybe Mitchell (is his mentality more like LJH or JWhitt?) are the best bets to return. Murphy should go make his money imo.

Notes: I believe in Sweat but first round is tough. My big question with Collins and the draft is whether teams view him as flexible or a tweener. Mitchell could rise with a couple big games and a good combine. I think Jones will rise once he gets to the senior bowl and interviews. Watts would get drafted if he played special teams. 

Tough to see Sanders go in the first. TE just isn't valued that highly and Brock Bowers will probably be the first TE off the board. Are there really two teams that are going to burn a R1 pick on a TE?

2 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Tough to see Sanders go in the first. TE just isn't valued that highly and Brock Bowers will probably be the first TE off the board. Are there really two teams that are going to burn a R1 pick on a TE?

The end of the first round is usually interesting because teams a lot of times can pick an elite player at less valued positions like TE, C, ILB, or Safety or they can get the 8th best OT or D Lineman if theyre drafting for need

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Sweat isn’t going that high, Gbenda isn’t going period, and Watts will be drafted for sure. Nice analysis Kiper. 

Worthy has awful hands. God awful. That is going to hurt him because in the NFL catch radius is a thing. He is absolutely elite with the ball in his hands and at route running. HOWEVER, his size is an issue because he has trouble getting off the line and can be easily rerouted during his route. He also doesn't win 50/50 balls. Someone will grab him because his game speed is crazy fast, but those are his issues.

His drop rate as a frosh was 5%. 11% as a sophomore with a broken hand. Whether you believe is accurate on the hand is irrelevant. that’ll be the story for NFL teams.

Johnston and Flowers both had drop rates in the 9-10% range. They got punished in the draft.

It only takes one team to love you.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Beat me to it. That Ohio State team was killer. Especially by years end. They very well may have been capable of taking down USC themselves on a good day. 

You damn dudes. They beat 7-5 Michigan in the game prior to the bowl game. Michigan lead into the 4th. OSU won 25-21.

I guess we’ll just discount that cause rivalry.

Yes, they were capable of beating USC. They also were capable of losing 10 of 10.

5 hours ago, deadshank said:

This team is not scary.  This team has some scary talent.  In a game, this team needs to play 4 solid quarters of football.  Do that over a span of  multiple games and they can be considered "scary."

I haven't seen that yet.  Who has?

You ever watched a scary movie where the monster is in every scene? I rest my case

• Haha 2

We’re the best team in the country and I’m pretty convinced of that after 4 weeks. Are we 08-09 Texas good? No. But no team this year is untouchably elite. Georgia & Ohio state both have JAGs at QB, and Ohio state will never win a title with Day. Michigan is good but offense is not electric. Lulz at USC. Washington is formidable. It’s hard to see a scenario where we don’t run the table. 

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Worthy has awful hands. God awful. That is going to hurt him because in the NFL catch radius is a thing. He is absolutely elite with the ball in his hands and at route running. HOWEVER, his size is an issue because he has trouble getting off the line and can be easily rerouted during his route. He also doesn't win 50/50 balls. Someone will grab him because his game speed is crazy fast, but those are his issues.

I don’t get how anybody can see recent NFL drafts and have access to NFL Mock Drafts and still say Worthy won’t go in to the top 2 rounds. The NFL has consistently shown in recent drafts that they don’t care that much about WR size or drops. I haven’t seen a single mock draft that has Worthy past the second round and mock drafts are rarely two rounds off. 
Now if you want to argue that the NFL drafts poorly that’s a different argument. But Xavier Worthy type players are exactly what the NFL wants and that’s why he will go in the 1st two rounds. I’m of course open to any bets if you really think he goes later than 2nd round. @Thatguy

• Hook 'Em 2

FYI, Tutu Atwell is among the NFL leaders in receptions through two weeks. Despite weighing 149 pounds at the 2022 Combine the Rams selected him in the 2nd round. The NFL is going away from jump balls and empathizing shifty receivers that can create separation and make life easier for QBs. That same trend is happening in college football. Johntay Cook, Devonta Smith, etc are the future. 

IMG_5958.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

FYI, Tutu Atwell is among the NFL leaders in receptions through two weeks. Despite weighing 149 pounds at the 2022 Combine the Rams selected him in the 2nd round. The NFL is going away from jump balls and empathizing shifty receivers that can create separation and make life easier for QBs. That same trend is happening in college football. Johntay Cook, Devonta Smith, etc are the future. 

IMG_5958.jpeg

Tutu is 5'9 and 165. He weighed 155 when he was drafted. He ran a legit 4.39 40 time so of course people are going to look past his shortcomings. He is tiny, shifty as hell, and has blazing speed.

18 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Tutu is 5'9 and 165. He weighed 155 when he was drafted. He ran a legit 4.39 40 time so of course people are going to look past his shortcomings. He is tiny, shifty as hell, and has blazing speed.

And Xavier Worthy will run close to a 4.39 and the NFL will also look past his shortcomings. Additionally Worthy is erasing some of the doubts about his hands as the season progresses. The 2024 draft is loaded at WR which might prevent him from going 1st round. He’s a near lock to go in top 2 rounds. 

33 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

I don’t get how anybody can see recent NFL drafts and have access to NFL Mock Drafts and still say Worthy won’t go in to the top 2 rounds. The NFL has consistently shown in recent drafts that they don’t care that much about WR size or drops. I haven’t seen a single mock draft that has Worthy past the second round and mock drafts are rarely two rounds off. 
Now if you want to argue that the NFL drafts poorly that’s a different argument. But Xavier Worthy type players are exactly what the NFL wants and that’s why he will go in the 1st two rounds. I’m of course open to any bets if you really think he goes later than 2nd round. @Thatguy

Why would I bet against someone I hope the best for? Besides, I wasn't the one who said he wouldn't be in the first two rounds. I said it would hurt him. He should be a top 10 pick if he had hands and 10lbs.  I want the kid to go out in the yard, turn the machine on, and catch ball after ball with his hands until he is comfortable NOT just basket-catching everything in games. Then I want him to get to 182lbs. His draft stock truly depends on what he runs. If he runs in the 4.2-3 range then it won't matter what his hands and build are like.However, if he runs slower than that look for him to fall. He ran a 10.55 in track in high school. That's somewhere in the 4.4 range. He looks a hell of a lot faster than that on the football field though. Some kids don't run good 100's though. Goodwin ran about that time but still clocked a 4.27 in the 40. Charles ran a 10.13-.23 depending on where you look, and he ran 4.39 so 100 time doesn't always translate.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Haha I’m here for it, I don’t know how many times I was shit on for defending Sark and PK over the last couple years. I’ve seen several assholes already trying to sneak to the other side lol. 

Yeah, but like Deion said we keep receipts!!!

Now we got dudes, and dudes lined up behind those dudes. And the dudes who are out there are teaching the dudes behind them how shit is supposed to be. We are recruiting to fill holes, and getting guys from the portal. Sark has the train rolling and we are shoveling fresh coal in the burner every couple minutes. Dudes who were JAGs are being molded into dudes, and guys who we thought shouldn't ever see the field, and actually serviceable. Case in point one Jett Bush. There is coaching happening. Both sides of the ball are competent in regards to playcalling. All we need now is consistency and health. Feels good.

Edited by Thatguy
  • Hook 'Em 3

18 hours ago, AnotherLawyer said:

I hate the fuck out of our fans sometimes. You'd think we were 0-4 with blowout losses to Rice and Baylor, Ewers was on his 17th INT, and Worthy was still in the parking lot dicking down SpiralOut's mom.

We are the polar opposite of TexAgs. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, but like Deion said we keep receipts!!!

Now we got dudes, and dudes lined up behind those dudes. And the dudes who are out there are teaching the dudes behind them how shit is supposed to be. We are recruiting to fill holes, and getting guys from the portal. Sark has the train rolling and we are shoveling fresh coal in the burner every couple minutes. Dudes who were JAGs are being molded into dudes, and guys who we thought shouldn't ever see the field, and actually serviceable. Case in point one Jett Bush. There is coaching happening. Both sides of the ball are competent in regards to playcalling. All we need now is consistency and health. Feels good.

Is Jett Bush a good example though? I mean, isn’t he playing a different position and having different responsibilities?

5 hours ago, Had Enough said:

In their first 5 games, the most points they scored? 34. Big wins over Miami of Ohio and SDSU. Just lit their asses up. They scored 40+ 4 times against shitty Big 10 teams. Lost to PSU 17-10. So absolutely?

I didn’t say they weren’t better than Bama. I didn’t say they wouldn’t win. But OSU did lose twice. To act as though Bama is void of talent is premature. There’s also a good chance that Bama defense would do well versus that OSU offense.

Anthony Gonzalez, Bobby Carpenter, Ted Ginn. Donte Witner, All first rounders. None worthy.

Hawk, Mangold, Holmes were all good but were all average given their draft positions.

Bama would score 0 points on that OSU team. AJ Hawk was not average. Jesus. He was one of, if not the best, LB in college football.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Irieguy said:

And Xavier Worthy will run close to a 4.39 and the NFL will also look past his shortcomings. Additionally Worthy is erasing some of the doubts about his hands as the season progresses. The 2024 draft is loaded at WR which might prevent him from going 1st round. He’s a near lock to go in top 2 rounds. 

I still have those doubts. 28-6 at the end of the half when it should have been 35-3 did not help his case.

Texas -34

KU-24

KU gets 350 yds

If Special Teams or the Offense sputters or muffs some plays, this Kansas team has enough skilled players and experience to give us fits. BUT, what some on here have already stated, we have a bench full of good back-ups and can out-athlete KU and that will ultimately give us the win.  We just can't play stupid. Our D is real solid and I believe they match up well against Kansas. I maybe being harsh against our O and ST but this is how I see it.  Also, maybe refs might factor in if we play sloppy in any way. So we got to play as much mistake free football as we can or they will likely insert themselves into the game and fuck us here or there. 

Edited by burntorangebongos
Edit to add: I'd rather win Ugly against KU and win pretty against OU

Just now, Helobious said:

I can still see Hawk and Carpenter terrorizing our offense all night in that 05 game. Viking mofos

All three starting linebackers got drafted on the 1st day from that team. All 4 members of the secondary drafted with 2 in the 1st round, 1 3rd, 1 4th. 3 dline drafted. That team was fucking salty. I’m glad they sat Troy Smith most of that game also. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

All three starting linebackers got drafted on the 1st day from that team. All 4 members of the secondary drafted with 2 in the 1st round, 1 3rd, 1 4th. 3 dline drafted. That team was fucking salty. I’m glad they sat Troy Smith most of that game also. 

If I'm not mistaken that defense is one of the best defenses in all of college football since 2000

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If I'm not mistaken that defense is one of the best defenses in all of college football since 2000

Not sure on that. I looked it up and they finished 5th that season in points per game allowed. But any team that held 2005 VY to 25 points is clearly very legit.

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

We’re the best team in the country and I’m pretty convinced of that after 4 weeks. Are we 08-09 Texas good? No. But no team this year is untouchably elite. Georgia & Ohio state both have JAGs at QB, and Ohio state will never win a title with Day. Michigan is good but offense is not electric. Lulz at USC. Washington is formidable. It’s hard to see a scenario where we don’t run the table. 

Time to bet on KU. It was fun while it lasted.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Bama would score 0 points on that OSU team. AJ Hawk was not average. Jesus. He was one of, if not the best, LB in college football.

Average NFLer. You know since I said given their draft positions. He was probably above average in the NFL but did not produce anywhere near a top 5 pick.

If you legit think Bama scores 0, then I guess it makes sense that’d be their only shutout.

Jesus.

11 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’m glad they sat Troy Smith most of that game also. 

I'm not.  He was rightfully benched after two near turnovers.

2005 tOSU's best win was keeping it close against us.  We should have beat them worse but it was the 2nd game of the year, shoe at night, we turned it over 3 times, etc.  Shit happens.

19 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I’m not sure why you quoted me. I addressed the inane idea that Xavier Worrhty doesn’t have NFL speed and quickness. I didn’t address his hands.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

Saying this months after 4 TEs went in the first 42 picks is certainly a take that belongs in this thread.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Saying this months after 4 TEs went in the first 42 picks is certainly a take that belongs in this thread.  

This comment is all kinds of regarded, but I’m going to let you think on it a bit and see if you can figure out why. That way you might learn how to be less regarded. Good luck, buddy. I’m pulling for you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Thatguy said:

f3cd2b6a-2ced-47e7-add5-3d284735c1f7_tex

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1