Lara Trump version of "I won't back down" being shadowbanned y'all

Gil Bang

Well, the auto-tuning is obvious, and not for effect.  It's pretty much a non-starter that offers nothing of substance.

Lara Trump "Won't Back Down"

Contrast it with Tom Petty singing the same song right after 9/11, when his seething anger was palatable.  God, I miss Tom.  Anyone who willingly associates with the Trump klan can go fuck themselves.

• Hook 'Em 6

15 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Did the Petty estate approve the use of his song? Can you just cover someone else's work and put it out there? 

My guess is his is a version Petty's estate said the Trumps were banned from using at events.  But anyone can cover a song so she's doing that skirt that rule.

I listened to her sing.  She sounds like she singing it for the first time, ever.

6 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

My guess is his is a version Petty's estate said the Trumps were banned from using at events.  But anyone can cover a song so she's doing that skirt that rule.

I listened to her sing.  She sounds like she singing it for the first time, ever.

This true? I figured small cover bands or the dude playing at a restaurant did so simply because they were too small to be noticed. Someone can just cover anything, put it out and make money off it? Isn't that just making a copy of someone's artwork and passing it off as your own?

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

This true? I figured small cover bands or the dude playing at a restaurant did so simply because they were too small to be noticed. Someone can just cover anything, put it out and make money off it? Isn't that just making a copy of someone's artwork and passing it off as your own?

Side comment but when a band plays a cover at a bar (or concert), it’s actually the bar that owes licensing fees to the artists that created it. Im sure the fees are frequently not paid but the bar would be liable.

Luke Combs didn’t get permission from Tracy Chapman in recording and releasing Fast Car. In public comments, she doesn’t appear to be mad about and apparently is getting paid very well now and in the future. 

10 hours ago, Bookman said:

God they're so fucking whiny.

Ah, you listened to her song too.

My favorite touch was the occasional Cartoon Southern pronunciation, followed up by several words of Non-Southern Woman Rattling On the Phone.

NAW I WAWANT back down, NAW I WAWANT back down.

Edited by RDCanecutter

11 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Donald wanted to use it at his campaign rallies and got shut down so Lara records a cover and then Trump can convert campaign donations to royalty payments to his daughter.  

11 hours ago, G650 said:

You have to pay royalties.

Trumps don't pay their bills unless its converting Charity golf money to club revenue at inflated prices.

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

Ah, you listened to her song too.

My favorite touch was the occasional Cartoon Southern pronunciation, followed up by several words of Non-Southern Woman Rattling On the Phone.

NAW I WAWANT back down, NAW I WAWANT back down.

Dude, "Southern Accent(s)" was right there for you.

Edited by miguelito
  • Drool 1

20 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Donald wanted to use it at his campaign rallies and got shut down so Lara records a cover and then Trump can convert campaign donations to royalty payments to his daughter.  

Trumps don't pay their bills unless its converting Charity golf money to club revenue at inflated prices.

It's funny that Trump will attempt to overthrow the government and make himself dictator and now face multiple criminal prosecutions but he was afraid to just play a song and say "sue me, get in line". 

On 10/5/2023 at 12:53 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Well, the auto-tuning is obvious, and not for effect.  It's pretty much a non-starter that offers nothing of substance.

Lara Trump "Won't Back Down"

Contrast it with Tom Petty singing the same song right after 9/11, when his seething anger was palatable.  God, I miss Tom.  Anyone who willingly associates with the Trump klan can go fuck themselves.

I'd never seen that performance before. It still has Howie Epstein who left the band due to uncontrolled heroin addiction and died from it probably about a year after 9/11. 

Sometimes, rights to songs are handled by an agency like Harry Fox, and obtaining a license to cover a song is highly "mechanical" (as opposed to mechanical royalities, which are per-public-performance royalties).

Other times, the musician in question withdraws from any agency like Harry Fox and you have to go directly to them and they may exercise some discretion as to whether they "like" the cover or cover artist.

No idea which way "Won't Back Down" or Petty's songs generally are handled.  Given this, I might guess Harry Fox.

30 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Sometimes, rights to songs are handled by an agency like Harry Fox, and obtaining a license to cover a song is highly "mechanical" (as opposed to mechanical royalities, which are per-public-performance royalties).

Other times, the musician in question withdraws from any agency like Harry Fox and you have to go directly to them and they may exercise some discretion as to whether they "like" the cover or cover artist.

No idea which way "Won't Back Down" or Petty's songs generally are handled.  Given this, I might guess Harry Fox.

I would venture a slightly-educated guess that 99% of major-label releases are handled for BMI/ASCAP/SESAC via Harry Fox.