Outcoached

Pancho

23 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Look I’m not full doom and gloom about this game but can we stop including 49-0 as some sort of big achievement? OU literally had no QB. It was a great day, a lot of fun, and cathartic, at least until yesterday; but Jeff Banks’s monkey could have coached the team to a win.

Sark is 0-2 in actual football games against OU and has produced two losses that will be shown in OU highlight videos 30 years from now. It’s fair to question whether he is equipped to handle this game. It’s not going to be litigated again for a year so I don’t want to beat it to death but the early data points aren’t great.

If you remove Pat Mahomes two Super Bowl wins he’s 0-1 when playing in the superbowl.

Edited by Not a Sock
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

They have scholarship players just like we do. If their backup comes in he is a kid who is there because he was good at what he does at the previous level. They weren't trotting out their RB to play QB. They trotted out a 4 star QB. We did what we were supposed to.

But they did trot out their RB to play QB lol

Yeah, I mean I'm old enough to remember a 1-4 Charlie Strong coached Texas team that had just been beat 50-7 by TCU the week prior beating an OU team ranked #10.  They all count in this rivarly.

I mean I think the assumption is most posters are older than like 13 lol

I didn’t say it doesn’t count in a literal sense, I just see it thrown around like it’s a big time coaching achievement. It was a great day, a ton of fun, and I’ll remember it forever. That’s of course the most important thing as a fan. But in evaluation of Sark as a coach at Texas or in this series it’s not relevant for obvious reasons.

Dropping this now. It isn’t worth a rabbit hole.

And yet he went into Tuscaloosa and did something not many other coaches could do. Sometimes, good teams lose close rivalry games. 2021, we were not the better team by any stretch and we were a Herculean effort by Caleb Williams combined with complete but not at all out of normal terrible performance by our defense that lost many games that year in the same fashion away from winning that one. He knows how to win these games, we're just not executing combined with some poor decisions.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I think we were the better team.  But I do think people saying OU played their A game aren't looking at it from their point of view.  Gave up the fake punt.  Blocked punt for a TD off a turnover.  One of the worst FG attempts I've seen.  4 straight possessions in the 2nd half without points and shitty execution (including, unless I'm misremembering, going 3 and out after getting the fumble).  I would definitely favor us in a rematch but I don't think we can count on all those things going our way either. 

They definitely didn’t. The tempo three and out and blocked punt was a comedy of errors. They dropped a walk in TD pass. And I need to rewatch for clarity but it sounds like they were caught with their pants down on the 4th and 4 on the final Texas possession and Sark just didn’t capitalize.

They played better than Texas but they can and will likely play better in a hypothetical rematch. There were very few, if any moments, where you were just thinking “Wow, superhuman play there.” Some good luck for sure but they weren’t some majorly inferior opponent out there playing their perfect game.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

They definitely didn’t. The tempo three and out and blocked punt was a comedy of errors. They dropped a walk in TD pass. And I need to rewatch for clarity but it sounds like they were caught with their pants down on the 4th and 4 on the final Texas possession and Sark just didn’t capitalize.

They had the punt return team out there...my guess is that Sark didn't have a play called other than the draw them offsides ploy.  Hopefully that's a lesson hell learn for next time.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Aria? I see what's going on here. You bet big on Texas and lost. Stay out of Vegas bro.

Bottom line, the Texas fanbase has battered wives syndrome when it comes to OU. We are unable to separate one coach from the other. What Mack did is what Sark will do in our minds. Meanwhile, Sark laid the biggest ass whoppin OU has ever taken on them just a year ago, barely lost to a Caleb Williams team with Casey Thompson at the helm, and lost in the last second here despite not playing his best ball. I wanna beat them every year too but every other is a huge improvement over those other coaches.

We better not be related or your ass is grass at the next reunion 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

They have scholarship players just like we do. If their backup comes in he is a kid who is there because he was good at what he does at the previous level. They weren't trotting out their RB to play QB. They trotted out a 4 star QB. We did what we were supposed to.

Davis Beville was a 3 star out of high school. Davis Beville could not complete a forward pass last season. We did not have a RB playing QB, but we did have TE playing QB for a lot of the game. 

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Have we not scored out of that package this season? Am I misremembering another similar failure?  Maybe I'm wrong but of the things I second guess I just don't have an issue with those runs.  I probably would have put a 95% success rate of scoring on 1/3 plays out of that package.

I have no problem with it 2 of the first 3 downs. 

15 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I’ll still say this:

Texas is 11-18 in the RRS since 1995, 8-16 since 2000.

What are peoples thoughts as to why that record is what it is?

A lot of those OU teams were just flat out better than we were.  Looking at it since 2000.  We were clearly better in 2005.  Clearly better in 2009 (and barely won that one).  Any others I'm missing where we were clear (10+ point) favorites?  Obviously I guess 21 once Gabriel was hurt.  Teams, on paper, were pretty equal in 01, 02 and 08.   I think they were slightly better when we won in 18 and we were slightly better on paper yesterday with the L.   OU just had a great run in the Stoops era with a pretty seamless handoff to Riley and it's showed in the results.

Edited by Skipper

20 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

IMG_3421.thumb.jpeg.757aecf976250d39135ea84862641d53.jpeg

from the game thread.

this actually doesn’t piss me off, i understand the logic of what he was trying to do 

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Sorry, but last yr Texas and Sark beat blOU 

49 - 0  🤘

we played a backup qb who couldn’t complete a forward pass 

Edited by FORTY NINE TO ZERO
words
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

I probably would have put a 95% success rate of scoring on 1/3 plays out of that package.

Not with 40% of our starting OL out.  Shit I was shocked we didn't false start with 2 DL dancing around in the backfield.

Fully expected (and wanted to see) JT or Helm at least on 3rd down after the first two down disasters.  Sark went full Herm there.

27 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I’ll still say this:

Mack never got the importance of Texas OU and what it could for his season. VY and Colt were more of a factor than Mack in the only wins we got in that decade. Then we had multiple head coaches who each got a win, seamingly out of nowhere. We've lost to OU by a combined 11 points under Sark and could've have won both with defensive stops that didn't happen. I think Venables and Sark are where the series can get reset. We're now almost 10 years removed from Mack. 

I’ll still say this:

Oklahoma is a more successful football program than Texas, certainly for most of that time period, so you would expect a losing record. I don’t think it’s necessarily more complicated than that.
  • Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Mack never got the importance of Texas OU and what it could for his season. VY and Colt were more of a factor than Mack in the only wins we got in that decade. Then we had multiple head coaches who each got a win, seamingly out of nowhere. We've lost to OU by a combined 11 points under Sark and could've have won both with defensive stops that didn't happen. I think Venables and Sark are where the series can get reset. We're now almost 10 years removed from Mack. 

I think he go it but figured out how hopeless the situation was that he intentionally downplayed it.  

On 10/7/2023 at 3:05 PM, lilMAC25 said:

The 4 runs on the goal line?

Up tempo with 4 min left leaving OU with plenty of time to drive for the winning score?

Running the ball on 3-9?

Im sure there are plenty of other instances.

that goal line stand was difficult to comprehend. their DL was not supposed to be this sturdy.  But overal they were the more physical team .  

4 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'm gonna start it off with 4 Heisman winning QBs

Two of which couldn’t get a cup of coffee in the pros. 

1 minute ago, AllenTx75 said:

that goal line stand was difficult to comprehend. their DL was not supposed to be this sturdy.  But overal they were the more physical team .  

Almost always are.  Angry football team against us.  

Almost always are.  Angry football team against us.  

This is the only explanation I’d add to them just bring the more successful program. I don’t mean this in the same way we say it about Baylor or Tech, but Oklahoma seems to have the intensity/aggression edge more often than not. They just seem to care about the game a little more than Texas does. Again, that’s not an excuse. Envy, if anything.
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

If you don't think intensity/fire played a role here, I don't know what to tell you.  Per 995, Sark told his team to "withstand the surge" and play collected all week.  In his pregrame interview, he said he told the team to "have fun."  That shit makes Mack moist.  You have to approach the OU game like a prison fight and it was obvious we did not match OU's intensity in the 1st quarter or even for the whole game for that matter.  If you gave their staff our talent advantage, they would have beaten us badly. 

This is all true. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yeah sometimes the football team you root for loses. There is still a lot of season left. If you're a gloom and doomer have fun with that shit but don't expect everyone else to be the same way or wanna put up with it.

Texas losing to OU historically dooms our season in the Big 12 era. It’s why we have hardly won any Big 12 championships. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Skipper said:

JFC.  The constant overreaction on this board in both directions never disappoints.

Yeah, what I love is the hindsight bias, relentless second-guessing, and pattern-matching to create dubious narratives and statistics that just prove that Sark isn't the guy and is much closer to Herman and Strong than to Saban or even Mack Brown.

I am pessimistic and cynical a great deal of the time.  I am also pretty optimistic at times, short of wildly so.  I can't figure myself out, but I am at least conscious of my tendencies.  "HOPE" I suppose is reasonably accurate, I tend to think it's more "I don't know shit about fuck" and can't predict the future, so I think I prefer "open-minded."

The FATE crew just doesn't resonate with me, for whatever reason.  They may ultimately be right.  For now, I think they're full of shit.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

In 15 minutes, you guys are gonna be fuckin fine with this.  So I'll just sum it up this way, as fast as I can. 

That is the most humiliating game in the last fuckin 10 years I've been involved with. how can we fuckin not score 1st and goal from the 1? How could you fuckin do that? What do you think you are doing?  This isn’t some goddamn game!!! It’s about our lives!!!!! Like I said 15 minutes from now you won’t give a shit, but I gotta fucking live with this embarrassing game for the rest of my fucking life!!

I poured one out for this post, there will never, ever, be another Augie Garrido. Pos rep for that brother. 

13 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

This is the only explanation I’d add to them just bring the more successful program. I don’t mean this in the same way we say it about Baylor or Tech, but Oklahoma seems to have the intensity/aggression edge more often than not. They just seem to care about the game a little more than Texas does. Again, that’s not an excuse. Envy, if anything.

The Great Depression: Farms and Cities in the 1930s - Brewminate: A ...

Oklahoma ca. 1935.

image.thumb.png.4a9bcb1d3ef58c3b4007daddf17d8857.png

Austin Public Libary, 1936.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Never heard an ou player or coach undersell the rivalry.  Their recruits have always done the horns down.  It’s the culture 

• Hook 'Em 1

Sark with the "just have fun" is just mind numbingly stupid.  the only 2 players I want loose are the QB and the Kicker.  

Everyone else needs to be wound tighter than a fucking drum and so angry they are ready to snap at any point.  we keep getting beat mostly because our coaches are pussies.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Pancho said:

I’ll still say this:

Charlie Strong.  He was the worst coach in Texas history and he left the cupboard mostly bare.  Absolutely zero depth.  We weren't any better in talent than half the Big 12.

Before the last 6 years, UT and OU were dead even in the post DKR era.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, bullet said:

Charlie Strong.  He was the worst coach in Texas history and he left the cupboard mostly bare.  Absolutely zero depth.  We weren't any better in talent than half the Big 12.

Before the last 6 years, UT and OU were dead even in the post DKR era.

He’s not the reason. He was a tremendous loser, but Mack Brown shit all over the field in the Cotton Bowl for years before Charlie was stealing money from us. The OU game no place for pussies. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Texas losing to OU historically dooms our season in the Big 12 era. It’s why we have hardly won any Big 12 championships. 

It's absolute horse shit that Mack couldn't beat ok-state or k-state some of those years and go play for the big 12 championship, even after losing to blOwU, more than he did. 

• Rage+1 3

3 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

It's absolute horse shit that Mack couldn't beat ok-state or k-state some of those years and go play for the big 12 championship, even after losing to blOwU, more than he did. 

And yet here we are. Not sure why people are declaring it’s no big deal, we’ll just win the rematch. This game was just blood in the water for the K-States of the world. We’re getting everyone’s best shot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

You forgot Tech... blOU lost to A&M and Okie Lite in 2002 and basically rolled out the red carpet for us to go to the Big 12 title game, only for Kingsbury to slaughter our defense and send us to the Cotton Bowl.

Then they did it again in 2008

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

37 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

And yet here we are. Not sure why people are declaring it’s no big deal, we’ll just win the rematch. This game was just blood in the water for the K-States of the world. We’re getting everyone’s best shot. 

k-state does run their QB well, just hope their QB plays like shit like he did vs okie lite.

WTF happened on Friday kstate ???

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

Most years, a loss to OU meant we were trailing them in BigXii South and they had to lose 2 for us to sneak in.

Edited by lilMAC25

10 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Most years, a loss to OU meant we were trailing them in BigXii South and they had to lose 2 for us to sneak in.

But we also don’t play everyone this year so don’t have that opportunity to break a tie with them head to head. 

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Nobody's goal is to have fun in a street fight.

Mostly true, but the two midget MMA bros who kicked the shit out of the two 0U footballers awhile back started out with big grins and "Which one do you want?" Granted, it was a bar fight, but only one door from the street.

15 hours ago, Constant said:

Davis Beville was a 3 star out of high school. Davis Beville could not complete a forward pass last season. We did not have a RB playing QB, but we did have TE playing QB for a lot of the game. 

Screenshot(410).thumb.png.1e4f13b6e800dda419e8292918f1f8b5.png

Screenshot(411).png.dd23aa6019acd3333d271d57717c0ed6.png

Herp Derp Mother@*$ker

• Haha 1