Israel-Hamas war thread

Brisketexan

4 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

So they don't think these people were actually massacred and kidnapped and it's just propaganda? 

Some people, yes.

A lot of westerners see Israel as a colonistic state that is just looking for a land grab and automatically side with Palestine and view any Israeli action as them seeking to take more land. 

Edited by MisterP
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

And yet it really came to a head after the UN encouraged European Jews to move there too and gave them all the military powers of the west. Yes, the Arab Palestinians lost many wars when up against the might of every western power. I at least appreciate honesty that the defeated should just accept subjugation. 

Or maybe it came to a head when Israelis were persecuted in the Middle East and forced to move to Israel from countries like Iran, Iraq, and Turkey.

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

It's 51% of Americans aged 18-24. Our education systems are full of poison.

Thanks, I skimmed right past that part - my bad.  They must have polled college students, as I doubt 51% of Americans aged 18-24 could point out the Gaza Strip (or Israel) on a map with ten tries, much less know what Hamas is or that there is even a conflict.

5 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Thanks, I skimmed right past that part - my bad.  They must have polled college students, as I doubt 51% of Americans aged 18-24 could point out the Gaza Strip (or Israel) on a map with ten tries, much less know what Hamas is or that there is even a conflict.

What if Taylor Swift started dating Mahmoud Abbas? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

I don't understand the indignation to having kidnapped/photos up. Why are people so agitated by seeing it that they have to rip it down instead of just walking by it? What point do they think they are making? 

7 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

This seems to be what they're teaching them

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Viper said:

This seems to be what they're teaching them

I absolutely agree that young people are not being taught history in grade school, and are being manipulated by special interest groups and professors on campuses.  I've seen that nonsense firsthand.

I wasn't picking a fight or arguing with you above at all, but I can see how it may have come across that way. I was just being pedantic for no good reason, and failing at it to boot.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

If this is true, this should be a war crime in and of itself.

well it's been known since at least 2014 it looks like when Amnesty International mentioned there was a torture room there

https://www.ft.com/content/0fda1689-3c5e-49c7-ac84-15c10008eca5

One of the group’s main command-and-control centres is believed to be located beneath Gaza’s al-Shifa Hospital, and its roads are hundreds of kilometres of underground tunnels honeycombing the 40-kilometre-long Gaza Strip. Its communications lines are largely non-electronic. Inevitably, and by design, striking any of these assets results in significant collateral damage — with a huge humanitarian cost.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I work with a guy who's dad immigrated here. The dad is a Greek Turk. My coworker was bitching to me about us financing Israel's military to kill Gazans. He said he felt he couldn't vote for any Democrats or Republicans because of their support for Israel. For a lot of people of Middle Eastern Muslim ancestry, they generally see it as similar to Native Americans fighting white settlers. We can disagree with them, but that's their viewpoint.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/27/michigan-arab-american-voters-biden-israel

That doesn’t apply to the vast majority of Iranians in Iran and in the diaspora who support Israel because they face the same Islamist enemy. 

30, 20, even 10 years ago these pro-Palestinian protests spurred by and inspired by the Hamas massacre would have been unthinkable on U.S. soil, especially in NYC. 

Edited by Macklemore

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It is a war crime, with the caveat that Hamas and Palestine are not parties to any of the agreements this would cover. It’s in the Geneva Conventions and ICC protocols. 

Also, and this is important - Palestinians cannot commit war crimes, because Israel is bad.  If the Palestinians do it, it's an act of glorious liberation, totally justified, and thus not a war crime.  QED.  "Glory to the martyrs" and whatnot.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Social media in general will be the end of society as we know it. The wheels are already in motion.

I guess we will see.  Before the internet, cellphones and social media you had a lot of people who just didn't know anything about fuck and had no way of changing that position in life.  I'm not sure that is a good thing. 

Right now with all of these new innovations we are in that phase where people know more, just what they know isn't necessarily right because they have either been manipulated by smart people using disinformation or they have been able to connect to other stupid people more easily who share their stupid thoughts.  This is either a transition stage to something better or yea it sticks and we're fucked

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble.  It's what you're sure of that just ain't so."  - Abraham Lincoln's Dildo

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BeardIP said:

I don't understand the indignation to having kidnapped/photos up. Why are people so agitated by seeing it that they have to rip it down instead of just walking by it? What point do they think they are making? 

3 hours ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Social media in general will be the end of society as we know it. The wheels are already in motion.

It's 2023, and with social media, everybody has to pick a team when it comes to anything important, and if something makes their team look bad, they get angry.

20+ years ago, the internet was much more civilized with teams revolving around Mac vs PC vs the virgins using Linux, or Steve Jobs vs Bill Gates, or Giver vs Receiver if you were a goatse fan, or GIF vs JPG (both eventually won), and so on.

3 hours ago, Viper said:

US base in Syria hit again

I swear it's the plot to a Cold War-era Tom Clancy novel that I can't remember, where we join up with Israel and Britain/France and fight Iran, Syria, and Russia/Soviet Union.  Or maybe the Arab countries make another run at Israel and there's some countdown for us to help Israel out before they resort to nuking Arab capitols or something.

Except that 35 years ago, Russia and Iran had what we thought were powerful militaries.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I swear it's the plot to a Cold War-era Tom Clancy novel that I can't remember, where we join up with Israel and Britain/France and fight Iran, Syria, and Russia/Soviet Union.  Or maybe the Arab countries make another run at Israel and there's some countdown for us to help Israel out before they resort to nuking Arab capitols or something.

Except that 35 years ago, Russia and Iran had what we thought were powerful militaries.

The Sum of All Fears.  The book, not the 2000s Ben Affleck vehicle where they had to replace Palestinian terrorists with Austrian neo-Nazis because of reasons. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, BeardIP said:

So they don't think these people were actually massacred and kidnapped and it's just propaganda? 

It’s worse than that, they believe it did happen but that telling people about it is “atrocity propaganda,” because talking about it will make people potentially upset Hamas. 

Don’t go in the CR. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

I absolutely agree that young people are not being taught history in grade school, and are being manipulated by special interest groups and professors on campuses.  I've seen that nonsense firsthand.

I wasn't picking a fight or arguing with you above at all, but I can see how it may have come across that way. I was just being pedantic for no good reason, and failing at it to boot.

History is actually kind of difficult to teach because we seem to be focused on producing kids who answer a simple question (name, date, thing) and not the context in which it occurred.   Couple that with the youthful lack of understanding of time in general and they see little relevance.     We would be better off if we focused on concepts and context as opposed to rote memorization which makes it boring as shit.   

Also, its a little odd to say that the special interest groups and professors are manipulating them, when really our media, politicians, and books they are given to read are full of it.   Professors in my experience across multiple states and campuses rarely took a position and enjoyed good challenges, not pre-canned talking points that have been made their way from political action committees.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

I just read the last 4 pages of the CR Israel thread.  There is on high fiving over 10/7.  Wtf is the point in lying about that? 

That wasn’t a statement, it was a question. And the response was, “Did you know that when Jews say “never again” they really are threatening Europe with nuclear destruction if Israel loses a war? ” And that’s not a lie-it’s literally there in that thread, from Linux.

2 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

That wasn’t a statement, it was a question. And the response was, “Did you know that when Jews say “never again” they really are threatening Europe with nuclear destruction if Israel loses a war? ” And that’s not a lie-it’s literally there in that thread, from Linux.

So you just should’ve said Linux vs “they”.  

• Fuck You 1