Seven Win Steve Rides Again!

closetojumping

4 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Good thing to know I'm supposed to keep a detailed inventory of over 500 posters intricate opinions. Thanks.

I come here for information and humor, not to live vicariously through internet "friends." Maybe if you posted better and didn't leave out key information, people wouldn't make fun of your shitty takes so much.

May have shit takes but at least I contribute to our NIL unlike your no having badge ass.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

May have shit takes but at least I contribute to our NIL unlike your no having badge ass.

You have no idea what I contribute. No, I don't through Burnt Ends, but there are plenty of avenues that don't have to go through Surly. Now, I'll see myself out before I start clogging up more posts with off-topic in-fighting.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This is myopic dipshittery at its most basic. Every fanbase looks entitled or whiny given various results on the field or court. Fuck you for painting us as uniquely bad to make yourself feel better. 

True but only one fan base IS entitled and whiny.  aggy.  It’s sad.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Getting back on topic, I'm not sure anyone can say Sark is a failed three-year coach if his trajectory is:

2021: 5-7

2022: 8-5

2023: Anywhere from 9-4 to 13-2 is still realistic in terms of probability.

I think something like a 9-3 to a 11-1 regular season is likely, and then all bets are off after that. Given that he inherited a terribly constructed roster and has completely changed that, the culture, and Texas' chances heading into the SEC, he's largely been a success. Now, he needs to alter some of his in-game decisions, but he's done extremely well, overall. Given the competitive landscape this season in the BigXII, I'll be very disappointed if Texas doesn't play for a conference title, but my disappointment doesn't equate to Sark failing.  

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

Me too. Just kidding. But being the HC and OC he has some control over that. Last year after some loss he had the presser where he said something about he should have run Bijan and Rojo more. Well…that’s in his control. Love to see Juan Davis be used at some point. Happy to see Gunner got a TD Saturday. We have a lot of weapons. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

Me too. Just kidding. But being the HC and OC he has some control over that. Last year after some loss he had the presser where he said something about he should have run Bijan and Rojo more. Well…that’s in his control. Love to see Juan Davis be used at some point. Happy to see Gunner got a TD Saturday. We have a lot of weapons. 

This is a classic case of hindsight is 20/20. In all reality, not employing Cook more didn't lose Texas this game. As you said, there are a lot of weapons, and we saw new offensive strategies deployed that we hadn't previously. There were some pivotal second-half decisions and unfortunately plays where Texas didn't execute, and those decided the outcome late.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I have to tell you, a 9-3 regular season is a failure. Texas will be favored in every game left on the known schedule. 2 more losses to underdogs and arguably shitty to mediocre teams would be an indictment that the guy can't get it done on gameday. 

Winning every game is hard any team. Another random loss could occur, no doubt. Two? That's a problem and that would be noted across the entire base of fans, boosters and admins. Jungle drums would start to be heard faintly off in the distance and 2024 would suddenly be truly make or break, which I don't think is the case if Texas goes 10-2 or 11-1 and plays for the conference title. 

We will be double digit favorites in most all of the remaining games except for Kansas St.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I have to tell you, a 9-3 regular season is a failure. Texas will be favored in every game left on the known schedule. 2 more losses to underdogs and arguably shitty to mediocre teams would be an indictment that the guy can't get it done on gameday. 

Winning every game is hard any team. Another random loss could occur, no doubt. Two? That's a problem and that would be noted across the entire base of fans, boosters and admins. Jungle drums would start to be heard faintly off in the distance and 2024 would suddenly be truly make or break, which I don't think is the case if Texas goes 10-2 or 11-1 and plays for the conference title. 

I would agree with you from a season outcome standpoint, but the overall trajectory of his time here looks pretty good even at 9-3. Now, I don't expect a 9-3 regular season, especially without one of those losses being to Alabama. My belief is that 10-2 is most likely, and hopefully it's enough to get to Dallas against (probably) OU-sucks in December. It's likely that OU is better than we all thought. At the same time, Texas played like ass for large stretches and still almost won. Let's see what happens the rest of the way.

Edited by MuellerHorn

You read this board enough to know I've long that outside of Mack we've been dog shit at hiring since Akers. My bad you need me to clarify something so obvious.
Not 100% sure the Mack hire was one of the greatest if I'm honest. Sure he was able to out recruit the rest of the conference even with BloU and dick eater winning it all in 2k, and he (or GDGD depending on who you ask) was also smart enough to GTFO Vince's way and let him do his thing. Colt was one of those QB's who go to Okie Lite, Baylor, K-state etc and light people up...but he was fortunate (as were we all) to land on a Texas team that was still stocked with talent from the VY days. Other than that and some 10 win seasons based on our talenting teams, was he anywhere near the coach Royal was?

8 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

I would agree with you from a season outcome standpoint, but the overall trajectory of his time here looks pretty good even at 9-3. Now, I don't expect a 9-3 regular season, especially without one of those losses being to Alabama. My belief is that 10-2 is most likely, and hopefully it's enough to get to Dallas against (probably) OU-sucks in December.

This is where I'm at as well. 10-2 was my expectation coming into the year and I don't think I've seen anything that changes my mind on that. Had we beat OU, 11-1 was very much my expectation, but I fully expect a WTF loss and the fanbase, including myself, is going to be pissed. But taking a step back, 10-2 in year 3 is a great trajectory and hopefully a chance at the conference title on the way out. 

• Hook 'Em 3

This is the best shot we’ve had to a CFP in a long time. Sark has his guys (period—no excuses on the personnel on the field or coaching it—the cupboard is not bare and the future pipeline is bright and even our freshman are balling). In short there is NOT a THiNG holding us back. But injuries, execution and COACHING! 

The Big 12 is down this year. We don’t have to go to Stillwater and play Gundy in the regular season and get screwed by the refs. We don’t have to okay WVU in the regular season. Yes everyone hates us but embrace it. We have more talent than most all of our opponents combined and if we don’t win out it’s on the coach and coaching. 

this is quite simply the best we will have to get there because we are headed to SEC. No reason we shouldn’t win out. If posters are ok with losing to OU and going 9-3 and all that, that’s y’all’s deal. I’m not.

And it’s GD odd to me because some of the same people saying, “It’s ok, just a game. It takes time. Not a big deal if we don’t win Big 12,” are the same posters, for the most part who wanted, FYMB, the only guy since DKR to win a MNC and almost win another (we could’ve  have had 3) run out of town on rails.

Sark has not won dick as a HC and same posters are like, “No worries man. It’s cool. No biggie. 5-7. It’s fine. 8-5. It’s fine. Lose to OU. Future’s ahead of us. It’s fine.”  Did y’all all get lobotomies? or have better edibles than me? (If so share…) lol

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

This is the best shot we’ve had to a CFP in a long time. Sark has his guys (period—no excuses on the personnel on the field or coaching it—the cupboard is not bare and the future pipeline is bright and even our freshman are balling). In short there is NOT a THiNG holding us back. But injuries, execution and COACHING! 

The Big 12 is down this year. We don’t have to go to Stillwater and play Gundy in the regular season and get screwed by the refs. We don’t have to okay WVU in the regular season. Yes everyone hates us but embrace it. We have more talent than most all of our opponents combined and if we don’t win out it’s on the coach and coaching. 

this is quite simply the best we will have to get there because we are headed to SEC. No reason we shouldn’t win out. If posters are ok with losing to OU and going 9-3 and all that, that’s y’all’s deal. I’m not.

And it’s GD odd to me because some of the same people saying, “It’s ok, just a game. It takes time. Not a big deal if we don’t win Big 12,” are the same posters, for the most part who wanted, FYMB, the only guy since DKR to win a MNC and almost win another (we could’ve  have had 3) run out of town on rails.

Sark has not won dick as a HC and same posters are like, “No worries man. It’s cool. No biggie. 5-7. It’s fine. 8-5. It’s fine. Lose to OU. Future’s ahead of us. It’s fine.”  Did y’all all get lobotomies? or have better edibles than me? (If so share…) lol

To be completely fair, I agree with everything you said. 9-3, especially without a conference title game appearance, would be an objective failure for 2023. I Just don't think his trajectory can be explicitly stated as a failure given all of the improvements to the program and improvements in season-over-season outcomes. Season and tenure results can be viewed separately, IMO.

I'm also not sure where you took, "If posters are ok with losing to OU and going 9-3 and all that," or "No worries man. It’s cool. No biggie. 5-7. It’s fine. 8-5. It’s fine." from what I said. I said, "I'll be very disappointed if Texas doesn't play for a conference title."

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This is myopic dipshittery at its most basic. Every fanbase looks entitled or whiny given various results on the field or court. Fuck you for painting us as uniquely bad to make yourself feel better. 

This is wrong. Every year the aggy rollercoaster resets. This year, after getting drilled by Miami, aggy was saying that they would crush us and how they were going to roll Bama. They are the most positive fanbase of all time. They come out every year and look in the toilet at their football team and proclaim themselves headed to the CFP. Every. Damn. Year. They are the football equivalent of a mom with an ugly baby.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

To be completely fair, I agree with everything you said. 9-3, especially without a conference title game appearance, would be an objective failure for 2023. I Just don't think his trajectory can be explicitly stated as a failure given all of the improvements to the program and improvements in season-over-season outcomes. Season and tenure results can be viewed separately, IMO.

I'm also not sure where you took "If posters are ok with losing to OU and going 9-3 and all that" or "No worries man. It’s cool. No biggie. 5-7. It’s fine. 8-5. It’s fine." from what I said.

It’s not you. It’s like a great chunk of the board (not bagging on you at all sorry if I gave that impression) is sort of “OK” with OK beating us. That’s just fucking weird man . If we can’t kick the Big 12’s asses when we should have every motivation to do so/and the talent to do so…like how will it be in year 1 of SEC? year 2? I realize that there will be some leeway given because new conference and tougher schedule but it only gets more difficult from here on out. This is our best shot. And I agree.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Fondren & Main said:

Expecting a Big 12 title this year is not entitled.  We have a heavily seasoned team, a very good QB and multiple weapons on offense.  We shit the bed in Dallas to a lesser talented team that showed up and put more effort into the game.  Shit happens.  Hope we win the rest and stomp the cocksuckers in the conference title game.

When you post, look at who repped you. If its the usual merry band of assholes you are doing it wrong 😅

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

It’s not you. It’s like a great chunk of the board (not bagging on you at all sorry if I gave that impression) is sort of “OK” with OK beating us. That’s just fucking weird man . If we can’t kick the Big 12’s asses when we should have every motivation to do so/and the talent to do so…like how will it be in year 1 of SEC? year 2? I realize that there will be some leeway given because new conference and tougher schedule but it only gets more difficult from here on out. This is our best shot. And I agree.

I'm not "OK" with OU beating us. It's simply that if we do what we're supposed to do, against lesser talent, we should get a rematch.

The way the game played out gives a lot of hope. Now, if it had been like what happened to the Cowboys on Sunday, i would be ringing every alarm bell possible. But it wasn't, it was close, there were good moments, and i feel like it's something that can light a fire for the team and make them better.

• Hook 'Em 3

37 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

As for being positive…The snacks ‘we are gonna win’ posts were fun and tongue in cheek when you guys were in full wander the desert mode.  The ‘we are scary good’ posts of today are cringeworthy.  aggy-esque.  Especially looking at it now.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

As for being positive…The snacks ‘we are gonna win’ posts were fun and tongue in cheek when you guys were in full wander the desert mode.  The ‘we are scary good’ posts of today are cringeworthy.  aggy-esque.  Especially looking at it now.  

Yeah, when you go to T-Town and hand Saban his ass, it's a little less delusional to think that you might have a kickass football team that will be fun to watch.

• Hook 'Em 2

At this point, I think it would be a major failure if Texas doesn't win out and make it to the B12CG. I think the Real Time FPI is a better indicator than any poll. Texas has already beat #25 and the highest ranked team left on the schedule is the Mormans at #38. Wyoming looking good at #26, highest ranked non-P5 conference team. I count ND as P5.

RealTimeRPI.com College Football/NCAAF - College Football Power Rankings and Analysis, A leading sports ratings and resources community on the Internet

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Sure.  Big win.  Scary good after that?  I guess we can agree to disagree.  

Considering the fact that we've had multiple fool's gold "signature wins" during our shit decade, that thread was way too pre-mature.

"Scary good" is something that was appropriate say on 22 Oct 2005. On that day we skullfucked a #10 ranked Tech team, tallying our seventh win of the season and sixth game of a 25+ pt margin of victory. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Considering the fact that we've had multiple fool's gold "signature wins" during our shit decade, that thread was way too pre-mature.

"Scary good" is something that was appropriate say on 22 Oct 2005. On that day we skullfucked a #10 ranked Tech team, tallying our seventh win of the season and sixth game of a 25+ pt margin of victory. 

I have experience with thinking OU is scary good only to see them get their shit pushed in.  I finally stopped believing.  Especially with dildo Riley’s D.  Maybe that’s why I laugh at anyone thinking they are scary good.  

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I have experience with thinking OU is scary good only to see them get their shit pushed in.  I finally stopped believing.  Especially with dildo Riley’s D.  Maybe that’s why I laugh at anyone thinking they are scary good.  

Georgia has been scary good.  It’s possible

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

10 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

That thread was posted by a known idiot. I saw the title and then the poster and said “of course” and never bothered clicking on it. That hasn’t been the whole board’s sentiment, in any event. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That thread was posted by a known idiot. I saw the title and then the poster and said “of course” and never bothered clicking on it. That hasn’t been the whole board’s sentiment, in any event. 

That dude is why this board should have a drunk test on Saturdays in order to post 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, ousux said:
1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:
You read this board enough to know I've long that outside of Mack we've been dog shit at hiring since Akers. My bad you need me to clarify something so obvious.

Not 100% sure the Mack hire was one of the greatest if I'm honest. Sure he was able to out recruit the rest of the conference even with BloU and dick eater winning it all in 2k, and he (or GDGD depending on who you ask) was also smart enough to GTFO Vince's way and let him do his thing. Colt was one of those QB's who go to Okie Lite, Baylor, K-state etc and light people up...but he was fortunate (as were we all) to land on a Texas team that was still stocked with talent from the VY days. Other than that and some 10 win seasons based on our talenting teams, was he anywhere near the coach Royal was?

I mean, if you take out Bijan's three 7-yard runs, 19-yard run, 9-yard run, 13-yard run, and 10-yard run, he was a pedestrian 52 yards rushing on 12 carries against the Packers. Certainly not on his way to ROTY.

to keep the trajectory moving up, I think he has to get to the Big 12 championship with 1 loss. The goalposts may have shifted, but the 2 loss allowance was Bama and OU. If we drop a game that's on this remaining schedule, it will be an embarrassment and confirmation that he's not capable of winning all the games he's supposed to.  To be a championship game, he has to win all of those and he has to be 50% or better at the "toss ups" and so far, he's done both. In his past, he's not don't that really ever. He has the roster to win out and play OU again. I think we should beat OU in a rematch, but I won't call the year a failure if he's a win over bama and two losses to OU headed to a NY6 bowl.  Next year, success metrics change (SEC and gotta beat OU).

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yup.  I don't recall reading any of that thread but since we have plenty of consistent doomsayers on this message board at all times, I'm confident there were several people talking the team way, way down, in response.

Regardless, it's exactly true that it wasn't the entire board's-- or the entire fan base's-- sentiment.  You'd have to be a complete moron to to think all or even most Texas fans felt that way and assume that the OP was representative.

Seven win steve needs to: not be the OC, make better in game adjustments, not be a pussy, not let his wife dress him, not lose more than 2 games or he's a failure with this roster and get a hold of PK so we don't run anymore prevent to give the game away(we weren't running prevent). Did I miss anything?  He needs to not suck, even though his history says he sucks, and there's no reason to believe he won't continue to suck. Oh also, we demand big 12 titles because we won (checks notes) 3 of them in 22 years. If the posts weren't still here to read this thread would almost be unbelievable lulz. Last but not least the fucking psycho who started it picked Texas to go to the college football playoff. 

Sad Happy Hour GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Oh, I was cringing before the season even started.

Pure internet silliness here.
People who post on college football message boards are the tiniest fraction of a percentage of a fan base, and aren't at all representative of that fan base.
When I talk to my average Joe Texas fan friends in the real world, they are consistently: happy when Texas wins, briefly upset when Texas loses, hopeful for a positive trajectory, and completely unaware of how Sark dresses for the 0.5 mile walk into the stadium.
THAT is our fan base.

Ding ding ding

This board is composed of degenerates. Most people check in and out a few Saturdays a year.
  • Hook 'Em 2

People want to find a silver lining, want to see a positive trajectory. Being a sports fan is, at its core, escapism, so the natural bias is toward optimism.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Nicole44 said:

It’s more like the “show me a loss!” Ok here is one…ok. 

image.jpeg.ac34549f003c8d060db43baf6631566a.jpeg

yeah but that's always been tongue in cheek

8 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

People want to find a silver lining, want to see a positive trajectory. Being a sports fan is, at its core, escapism, so the natural bias is toward optimism.

allow me to introduce you to the fans of the Seattle Mariners

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Seven win steve needs to: not be the OC, make better in game adjustments, not be a pussy, not let his wife dress him, not lose more than 2 games or he's a failure with this roster and get a hold of PK so we don't run anymore prevent to give the game away(we weren't running prevent). Did I miss anything?  He needs to not suck, even though his history says he sucks, and there's no reason to believe he won't continue to suck. Oh also, we demand big 12 titles because we won (checks notes) 3 of them in 22 years. If the posts weren't still here to read this thread would almost be unbelievable lulz. Last but not least the fucking psycho who started it picked Texas to go to the college football playoff. 

Sad Happy Hour GIF

Yes.  Conference titles are meaningless