Seven Win Steve Rides Again!

closetojumping

I predicted 8-4 at the beginning of the year.  Then 10-2 after we beat Bama. Still sticking to 10-2, but I could easily see 9-3.  

Nonetheless, good or bad, I've resigned myself to the fact that we're riding Sark for the foreseebale future.  To pour one out for the recently departed Charlie Robison, he's probably not the best, but he's the best that we can do.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I stayed away this weekend, assuming the board would be loaded with doom and gloom and then a bunch of rationalization. After clicking around, it looks like things held together here somewhat nicely. 

That considered, now I'm worried about things here in the opposite direction. The general optimism towards the rest of the season across numerous threads creates the impression that a whole herd of you guys aren't prepared for what's actually going to unfold. That could lead to utter catastrophe when the inevitable happens, leading to numerous psychotic breaks for stunned denizens of this board and I'd hate to see it/hear about it.

The reality is, Steve Sarklostagain still hasn't done a fucking thing in his career to merit receiving the benefit of the doubt from the fanbase and posters on this board. He's never won more than 9 games, he's been outcoached on numerous occasions, and he's a born loser at heart, reflected repeatedly in a career of inexplicable losses. 

I’m pissed because we won last year by attacking them from the start, we rolled them at the start two years again and then let up, and we just laid a turd this week. Mack Brown took over game strategy and motivation this weekend. 

I come here and the same posters who excuse that uninspired effort and tell us it’s all right to just approach this as any other game are also certain we’ll have a rematch for OU and we’ll win because “teams don’t beat other times twice.” I’ve even seen Sooners saying similar.

That sounds great but doesn’t align with our reality in any way. You’ve been watching a different team than I have for the last 40 years. 

One reason this game is so important to win is that it effectively gives us a mulligan in case we stumble. Newsflash: we always stumble. There is not a single thing that would lead me to believe Steve Sarkisian has what it takes to correct that. I absolutely hope I am wrong, but hope has very little to do with football. 

• Hook 'Em 5

There’s the reasonable take we were all waiting for. 
I guess more people thought we were going undefeated than I imagined. 

In reality, this was the only loss that would have been acceptable once we beat Bama in fucking Tuscaloosa. 

10-2 or 11-1 are still pretty likely, barring injury. 

I’ll buy pitchforks in bulk from Costco if we lose to UH. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, wild_turkey said:

OU was always going to be a tough game. We should be a favorite in every remaining game.

I’ll worry about additional losses if they occur, but it’s a miserable way to watch sports if you resign yourself to mediocrity in a year when you appear poised for success.

Oh, I'll enjoy this CFB season, just like the last 30+ that I've watched diligently. I'll gladly keep hoping for a 14-1 run to the national title, just like every other idiot on this board. Of course, hope ain't worth a whole lot. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Rage+1 1

I don't know. I'd argue it's more miserable to continue hoping for a return to success at the beginning of each season, only to be let down by the most gut-wrenching, cringeworthy games. Texas Football is a cruel bitch sometimes.

Mediocrity is easier tbh, losing games we should win is much worse when there's a lot on the line. I really thought we were turning a corner, and then Stoops 2.0 comes in and shits all over us. Again. 

Thank God for Vince Young and Colt McCoy, or we might not even have a MNC since 1970.

Prove us all wrong Sark, and go win the Big 12 somehow.

image.gif

Edited by Wilcox Cummingtonite
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’m also not sure we get forgiven for stumbling against anyone else on our schedule except for OU.

The effort they put out there on Saturday likely beats everyone else they’ll face in the regular season.
OU came ready and did just enough to win, the response to this loss will tell me all I need to know about Sark. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I’m also not sure we get forgiven for stumbling against anyone else on our schedule except for OU.

The effort they put out there on Saturday likely beats everyone else they’ll face in the regular season.
OU came ready and did just enough to win, the response to this loss will tell me all I need to know about Sark. 

They nearly always stumble, too. But they have a mulligan we don’t have. 

• Rage+1 1

Texas lost as a 4 point Favorite on a neutral field against its biggest rival. 

They will be heavily favored the rest of the year and lose 1 at the absolute most and that’s because it’s CFB and strange things happen. 

Keep that receipt and let’s compare notes at the end of the year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Sarklostagain remains the worst nickname i've ever seen. If you don't like the guy, Farce-isian rolls off the tongue much better.

I'm not with you, OP, but you're welcome for showing you how to not look like an uncreative buffoon when you insult the coach.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

They nearly always stumble, too. But they have a mulligan we don’t have. 

Would our loss not be seen as a stumble too?

Isn’t it better to stumble early in the season in a rivalry game? Especially where the losing team doesn’t look completely outclassed?

I think Kansas state will give us issues because of the running qb, good OL, and we need to show that we can put together three good games in a row. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I strive to not seek out future sorrows so that I can get a head start and start experiencing them for a longer period of time.

My standard in the preseason was 10-2 and an appearance in the Big 12 Title Game. That’s still on the table and given the state of the league still appears more likely than not. I’ll just wait to see how things play out before deciding that we’re not getting there and being miserable about it. 

• Hook 'Em 5

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I stayed away this weekend, assuming the board would be loaded with doom and gloom and then a bunch of rationalization. After clicking around, it looks like things held together here somewhat nicely. 

That considered, now I'm worried about things here in the opposite direction. The general optimism towards the rest of the season across numerous threads creates the impression that a whole herd of you guys aren't prepared for what's actually going to unfold. That could lead to utter catastrophe when the inevitable happens, leading to numerous psychotic breaks for stunned denizens of this board and I'd hate to see it/hear about it.

The reality is, Steve Sarklostagain still hasn't done a fucking thing in his career to merit receiving the benefit of the doubt from the fanbase and posters on this board. He's never won more than 9 games, he's been outcoached on numerous occasions, and he's a born loser at heart, reflected repeatedly in a career of inexplicable losses. 

Seven Loss Steve's entire head coaching history reflects a penchant for winning games that surprise people and then following that soon enough with an inexplicable loss or seven. 

2009 - UW plays LSU close to open the season, then pulls a wild upset of USC in week 3 before going 5-7 with headscratching losses to a failing Weis-led ND program that went 6-6 and ended up firing their fat idiot head coach to end the year and then a loss to an eventual 4-8 ASU team that lost all 5 games they played after beating UW.

"but closetojumping, UW was 0-11 in 2008! he can't be dinged for the turnaround in that season!" - wait, there's more.

2010 - After upsetting 18th ranked USC on the road in the Colesseum, Seven Win turns around the next week at home and shits the bed against an ASU that had lost 3 straight and went 6-6.

2011 - No real surprising wins this season, but ol'Seven Loss did find a way to climb into the dumpster and light his team on fire by losing to an Oregon State that was 2-8 at the time and finished 3-9.

2012 - a 3rd straight 7 win season. Steve Sarkloseian took some early losses against good teams and brought his team roaring back to a 7-4 record and 4 game winning streak before bending his Washington team over and letting a 3-9 Washington State team just buttfuck it into oblivion in the annual rivalry game. He had some big time "we're back!" wins this season, beating #7 Stanford and #Oregon State.

2013 - Finally, a retooled roster with all of Seven Loss' own players! UW marches out to a 4-0 record before getting buzzsawed by the #5 and then #2 teams in the country, the latter in blowout fashion. Not the end of the world. Then, they headed to Tempe, still ranked, and were beaten by 4 touchdowns via a Todd Graham-led ASU team on no one's radar. At 8-4, and showing an obvious trajectory towards titles, USC calls Seven Win Steve home!

2014 - Seven Win's best year to date, he takes a USC team, ranked 15th to open the year, and they finish ranked #20 with underdog wins against two ranked opponents while also inexplicably losing a slap fight to a Boston College team that would finish 7-6.

2015 - Uneven Steven had USC open at #8 and then plummet out of the top 25 at 3-2 when he was seen visibly drunk on the sidelines during a loss to an unranked UW team and eventually fired for repeating the behavior the following week at practices.

2021 - No valued win in this 5-7 season of rebuilding! a 7-3 roster, but Texas did have standout losses to eventual 7-6 Iowa State, 2-10 Kansas, and 6-7 West Virginia.

2022 - We can argue about Texas Tech but Texas should have won that fucking game. Seven Win Steve freezing up with his playcalling against Tech, TCU, and Okie State played critical roles in the eventual 8-5 season.

2023 - If you can't find the next headscratching loss, you're not alone. No one else seems to be able to on this board either. I'll help you out though.

It is likely going to be among one of these opponents, and will likely be at least two of them, given history:

@UH

BYU

KSU

@TCU

@ISU

Tech

I've bolded my best bets, but it could happen with any of them.

Stop talking about the playoffs or rematching against OU. Texas doesn't have the coach for that. We're staring down the barrel of a 9-3 regular season. Sarkisian has said privately that he views bowl games as prep for the next season and the outcome doesn't concern him one way or the other. I'm assuming a banner year is in order here, and we see another career high 9 win season at 9-4. 

You can keep all of the receipts on this that you'd like, but you're not going to need them. 

All these things were true when you picked Texas for the CFP. Lulz 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

7 minutes ago, Atticus said:

good post but prepare thy anus.  Ewers played almost perfect given that the 2nd INT and fumble didn't cost us points.  the reason Sark is 7 win steve is that his offense requires a ridiculously high level of execution and his QB isn't really athletic enough to bail him out when needed. it's why he has all the same season upsets and disasters CTJ chronicled. 

And to top it off he knows shitall about defense.  He's an OC and not a HC that is gonna win championships.  I think he is a hard worker and wants to be that guy but some guys just don't have it.  just like players.

for some reason, I am more worried about the D after that performance against a QB that can actually read a defense and run but maybe the QB's for the remaining games will just be shitty enough.

4 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

... My standard in the preseason was 10-2 ...

My standard has been for several years 10-2 +/-2. It has worked for the most part.

I'm at the point where I've pretty much given up hoping for greatness to re-occur, so I content myself pointing out what sort of stupid shit the coaches get up to. 

Am I disappointed? Sure. But am I surprised? Not really.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

42 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Seven Loss Steve's entire head coaching history reflects a penchant for winning games that surprise people and then following that soon enough with an inexplicable loss or seven. 

2009 - UW plays LSU close to open the season, then pulls a wild upset of USC in week 3 before going 5-7 with headscratching losses to a failing Weis-led ND program that went 6-6 and ended up firing their fat idiot head coach to end the year and then a loss to an eventual 4-8 ASU team that lost all 5 games they played after beating UW.

"but closetojumping, UW was 0-11 in 2008! he can't be dinged for the turnaround in that season!" - wait, there's more.

2010 - After upsetting 18th ranked USC on the road in the Colesseum, Seven Win turns around the next week at home and shits the bed against an ASU that had lost 3 straight and went 6-6.

2011 - No real surprising wins this season, but ol'Seven Loss did find a way to climb into the dumpster and light his team on fire by losing to an Oregon State that was 2-8 at the time and finished 3-9.

2012 - a 3rd straight 7 win season. Steve Sarkloseian took some early losses against good teams and brought his team roaring back to a 7-4 record and 4 game winning streak before bending his Washington team over and letting a 3-9 Washington State team just buttfuck it into oblivion in the annual rivalry game. He had some big time "we're back!" wins this season, beating #7 Stanford and #Oregon State.

2013 - Finally, a retooled roster with all of Seven Loss' own players! UW marches out to a 4-0 record before getting buzzsawed by the #5 and then #2 teams in the country, the latter in blowout fashion. Not the end of the world. Then, they headed to Tempe, still ranked, and were beaten by 4 touchdowns via a Todd Graham-led ASU team on no one's radar. At 8-4, and showing an obvious trajectory towards titles, USC calls Seven Win Steve home!

2014 - Seven Win's best year to date, he takes a USC team, ranked 15th to open the year, and they finish ranked #20 with underdog wins against two ranked opponents while also inexplicably losing a slap fight to a Boston College team that would finish 7-6.

2015 - Uneven Steven had USC open at #8 and then plummet out of the top 25 at 3-2 when he was seen visibly drunk on the sidelines during a loss to an unranked UW team and eventually fired for repeating the behavior the following week at practices.

2021 - No valued win in this 5-7 season of rebuilding! a 7-3 roster, but Texas did have standout losses to eventual 7-6 Iowa State, 2-10 Kansas, and 6-7 West Virginia.

2022 - We can argue about Texas Tech but Texas should have won that fucking game. Seven Win Steve freezing up with his playcalling against Tech, TCU, and Okie State played critical roles in the eventual 8-5 season.

2023 - If you can't find the next headscratching loss, you're not alone. No one else seems to be able to on this board either. I'll help you out though.

It is likely going to be among one of these opponents, and will likely be at least two of them, given history:

@UH

BYU

KSU

@TCU

@ISU

Tech

I've bolded my best bets, but it could happen with any of them.

Stop talking about the playoffs or rematching against OU. Texas doesn't have the coach for that. We're staring down the barrel of a 9-3 regular season. Sarkisian has said privately that he views bowl games as prep for the next season and the outcome doesn't concern him one way or the other. I'm assuming a banner year is in order here, and we see another career high 9 win season at 9-4. 

You can keep all of the receipts on this that you'd like, but you're not going to need them. 

I'm betting BYU.  25 year olds that actually know their assignments, follow them and love kicking our ass.  does their QB wear a leg brace this year?

holy shit if we lose to UH after an off week.  we should be able to beat that team even if we played Sunday after OU.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Nah, they could lose another game because they have zero margin for error now to win the conference, but I doubt they lose two. Their talent level is 4 to 5 levels above any team remaining on the schedule. They can always get a one a season inspired effort from their opponent and make critical errors in the double digits like what happened on Saturday but I don't like the odds of that happening again. 

The difference this year is they are so far above the other big 12 teams in talent. That hasn't been the case since before Mack started mailing it in. I see them going back to playing ok in spurts and great in spurts and blowing away overmatched teams like the first 5 games. 

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

good post but prepare thy anus.  Ewers played almost perfect given that the 2nd INT and fumble didn't cost us points.  the reason Sark is 7 win steve is that his offense requires a ridiculously high level of execution and his QB isn't really athletic enough to bail him out when needed. it's why he has all the same season upsets and disasters CTJ chronicled. 

And to top it off he knows shitall about defense.  He's an OC and not a HC that is gonna win championships.  I think he is a hard worker and wants to be that guy but some guys just don't have it.  just like players.

for some reason, I am more worried about the D after that performance against a QB that can actually read a defense and run but maybe the QB's for the remaining games will just be shitty enough.

I think the defense will be fine. They got to get some stuff figured out pertaining to containment which is easily fixable, and they have done that well before this game. Gabriel didn’t really hurt us either in terms of reading or defense, but rather his ability to scramble on down and distances. I thought this was interesting although I feel he didn’t flip a switch. PK did the heavy lifting for him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 5

1 minute ago, Levi said:

I think the defense will be fine. They got to get some stuff figured out pertaining to containment which is easily fixable, and they have done that well before this game. Gabriel didn’t really hurt us either in terms of reading or defense, but rather his ability to scramble on down and distances. I thought this was interesting although I feel he didn’t flip a switch. PK did the heavy lifting for him.

Thanks PK!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 6

No wonder our fanbase catches so much shit. How many teams go undefeated in a season on average? Did anyone here actually expect that going into the season?

Yet here we are, lose a game coach sucks, blah blah blah...

blOU was put in a position that they had to make plays during the last 75 seconds to win the game. They managed to do it, discussing that is a different topic. Which many of you have done in spades. Hindsight is 20/20.

Team played like dog shit, the could have turtled but didn't. Not sure that would have happened anytime in recent memory.

Why don't you give the coaches and players a chance to accomplish what many thought would be progress? Win 10+.

Buy hey, you do you. Be sure to come thump your chest, because you called it, if the wheels come off your beloved program.

I came into this season knowing I'd be happy with 10 wins, anything over would be gravy. It's still on the table and I'll continue to believe they get there.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 3

2 minutes ago, mannewers said:

No wonder our fanbase catches so much shit. How many teams go undefeated in a season on average? Did anyone here actually expect that going into the season?

blOU was put in a position that they had to make plays during the last 75 seconds to win the game. They managed to do it, discussing that is a different topic. Which many of you have done in spades. Hindsight is 20/20.

Team played like dog shit, the could have turtled but didn't. Not sure that would have happened anytime in recent memory.

Why don't you give the coaches and players a chance to accomplish what many thought would be progress? Win 10+.

Buy hey, you do you. Be sure to come thump your chest, because you called it, if the wheels come off your beloved program.

I came into this season knowing I'd be happy with 10 wins, anything over would be gravy. It's still on the table and I'll continue to believe they get there.

Shut the fuck up, douche. 

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, mannewers said:

Makes me sad the meltdown blog is gone. Usually captures our delusion well and it’s hilarious 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The goal should always have been winning the Big 12, not worrying about making the playoff. We still have a chance to win the Big 12 but we have zero margin for error and probably need help to stay at #2. That said, everyone was shitting on how terrible the Big 12 was and it probably still is. WVU has won numerous close games. That's not going to continue to happen unless they're this year's TCU. Sure, there are many loseable games left on the schedule. It's foolish to think otherwise. It would be nice if we'd stop having posters make declarative threads about how unbeatable our team is or likening them to 2005's team that was perfection. Losing to OU, our lone rival in a game where we tend to never have the same chip on our shoulder that they do, was always a possibility. Pretty sure ctj told us otherwise last week but we all drink the koolaid time to time. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 6

21 minutes ago, mannewers said:

Since our 2006 NC win I think only 6 or so national champions have been undefeated. 

I didn't expect the playoff before the season. I expected to win the big 12 with a chance at the playoff. They may not be in the big 12 title game but it would take a collapse greater than on Saturday to happen to lose to the garbage remaining on the schedule. 

Will be interesting to see and nothing has been lost except the margin for error. Teams across the country will falter enough that it's very likely a 1 loss big 12 champion will get a playoff spot. It's up to them if they want to have the required focus and effort to make it happen. They can only lose to one of these remaining teams if they get outworked and make many critical errors. Both of those happened Saturday and they still had the lead with under a minute left.