Seven Win Steve Rides Again!

closetojumping

8 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

No shit.  The hyperbolic rhetoric, self-importance, and the words ---- the endless words! ---- are a bit much, aren't they?

My grandfather always said you can tell a lot about a man by how he reacts to adversity.

Yeah, but I damn near blew out my new aorta valve implant in the last minute of the game Saturday.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

But I am tired of our coaches not putting a huge ass chip on our shoulders going into that game…. And every other conference game for that matter. Stop treating any game like it’s “just another day at the office”. 
Those players need to come out of the tunnel frothing at the mouth and spitting blood with murder in their eyes instead of looking like tourists.

Everybody does it against us without fail, yet too often our coaches and players seem so lackadaisical.

Get FIRED UP dammit!

The country club frowns upon this kind of behavior. What do you think this is? An elite college football program?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Yes. We lost to OU. Our biggest rival, and for most of the past several decades, the gatekeeper to winning any kind of title.

If that's not a big deal to you, fuck off.

I'm not saying it's not a big deal--Hell, I didn't watch any college football after that game--but it hasn't pragmatically been the same since 2017 when it became the two highest win-percentages in conference that went to the CCG. For much of the past several decades after a loss to 0u, Texas would have had to hope for two teams to beat 0u when it was generally the case that only Texas had the talent to beat 0u. Now, win out and play 0u again on another neutral field.

Barring injuries, I still think this team is too talented and too deep to lose another game.

And to be more specific about the point someone else was trying to make, with CFP there's always a chance. 2014 tOSU lost to No. 8 Va Tech. 2015 Bama lost to No. 15 Ole Miss. 2016 Clemson lost to UR Pitt. 2017 Bama lost to No. 6 Auburn. 2021 Georgia lost to No. 3 Bama.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Levi said:

I think the defense will be fine. They got to get some stuff figured out pertaining to containment which is easily fixable, and they have done that well before this game. Gabriel didn’t really hurt us either in terms of reading or defense, but rather his ability to scramble on down and distances. I thought this was interesting although I feel he didn’t flip a switch. PK did the heavy lifting for him.

OU scored 24 of their 34 points on the bookends of each half. 

7 after an INT in plus territory on first possession

3 points to go to half

7 points coming out of half

7 points with 15 seconds left

3 of the other 10 were scored because of a running into the punter and dropped int in the end zone. 

Outside of the last drive PK and the defense gave us a chance to win. Nobody would have cared about OU scoring with 15 seconds left if we were up 10 like we should have been.

• Hook 'Em 4

There is no other profession where you can make numerous dumbass decisions and get celebrated for a few right ones and get paid millions. Defenders of coaches who continue to shit their pants year after year until they get canned remind me of pumpers on stocktwit message boards. I often wonder if some of them work for our athletic department just like I wonder if the pumpers work for the company whose stock they pump or some pump and dump hedge fund.

That said, I have not lost hope on the season yet. There is still much to play for unless Sark continue to revert back to his mean performance.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I have been virtually inconsolable for the past 48 hours.

This isn't helping. 

Ha. I felt like I could see it coming before the last UT drive. Shit happens. I rolled my eyes, sang the Eyes, and then I took a kid who started acting sick at the fair before the game back to the hotel immediately afterward to put him and his sudden fever to bed. Left the wife and other kids to deal with the sooner shit at Midway. Kicked back with some Shiner and watched all of the games afterwards. It was a nice day of college football if you can ignore the shitshow we watched on defense and in the injured interior OL.

You cannot take these outcomes this seriously anymore. I think you're older than I am and have been following this for a very long time.

20 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Not gonna lie this thread makes the outlook on the season way more positive for me, only because CTJ posted it. Much like the “Tom Herman is pressing his bare ass up to your mirror” thread on shaggy after the shitty 2018 Tulsa win. 

17 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

The Bama gargling balls post was way more egregious lol.  

See, it's the whiffs that folks like to recall. Here's hoping this is one of those. I was assuming this kind of reaction would be the bulk of the responses, not a bunch of shrieking that I'm unhinged or that, yeah, we are really are screwed. It's been like a mudhole post so far, which is awesome.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

I just wish those who are black out drunk on Sark Koolaid would just stop attacking those of us who are reticent and hesitant to chug the whole keg of the shit y’all are on. We aren’t idiots. We just see things differently. And there is enormous precedent for HCs trying to be also OCs that don’t win shit plus Sark’s past HC stints. Many of the same people jumping the asses of the posters critical of Sark were high on Strong until proven wrong, high on Herman until proven wrong. 

I beg to differ. 

The haters are the ones certain that he'll fail, that every negative data point discerned with acute hindsight bias is yet another sure sign that he'll fail.

They're the ones drunk on Guyana punch.

The rest of us remain open-minded and uncertain that past performance guarantees future results.   We're not sure he'll succeed, or fail.  One thing is that the program does seem to be moving in a better direction than it has in the last 10 years.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

But I am tired of our coaches not putting a huge ass chip on our shoulders going into that game…. And every other conference game for that matter. Stop treating any game like it’s “just another day at the office”. 
Those players need to come out of the tunnel frothing at the mouth and spitting blood with murder in their eyes instead of looking like tourists.

Everybody does it against us without fail, yet too often our coaches and players seem so lackadaisical.

Get FIRED UP dammit!

That would be admitting Football matters.  If there's one thing Texas fans/admin love to emphasize it's how Above It All they are. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

@ctj

Dude, you have to mea culpa here.  You were the loudest of a very vocal contingent screaming mudhole and no lube.

The team reads stuff and your rat poison and fat girlfriends were very, very potent.

Put the tinfoil hat down, man. If the team is basing behavior off of posts from the Internet, we are well and truly fucked. 

The more deserving team won on Saturday, the better team did not. Texas went out of its way to lose that game, almost wholly due to coaching. That's an easy way to fuck up significant talent advantages and Seven Loss Steve and his staff were able to pull it off. I literally said that that was a way for Texas to lose the game in the threads during the week.

If I wanted to scream mudhole, I would have written a thread for that. Get a fucking grip.

• Hook 'Em 3

When my wife buys shit clothing for me - which is pretty much anything she buys - I thank her profusely and honestly. I do appreciate her for that.

What I don't do is wear it in public, and especially not to a place where I might be recognized or photographed.

Edited by Tex Long
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Deej said:

You honestly think we are going 2-4 in the last six games?  Whatever...

No, that's not what I said.

What I said was... it wouldn't be unprecedented for it to happen, and anything that's going to happen, hasn't happened yet.

But it's neither impossible nor completely improbable.

It's also possible we win out, to the point of even winning it all. Equally likely, I'd say.

1 hour ago, Longhornlove said:

Dumpster Fire GIF by MOODMAN

This thread

Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

And I'm here for it

1 hour ago, Not a Sock said:

Not gonna lie this thread makes the outlook on the season way more positive for me, only because CTJ posted it. Much like the “Tom Herman is pressing his bare ass up to your mirror” thread on shaggy after the shitty 2018 Tulsa win. 

Nothing more entertaining than a CTJ meltdown. Hell ... it's his username.

Almost like he knew what he was doing when he chose that.

• Haha 1

The biggest problem with Sark is not just that he has at least one certifiable “wtf” moment each game, it’s that it’s  coupled with the decision being in the most crucial of moments. 

No matter what happened the rest of the game, it was over for us after the goaline stand. There’s just no way you can recover mentally from being stopped four times from the 1. The decision having two defenders on the field on offense on three consecutive plays in the most crucial of moments cannot be forgiven.  

We’re all going to have to relive that moment ad nauseam in RRS highlight packages for the rest of our lives thanks to that fucking meathead decision. 

Edited by Yev Kassem
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Yev Kassem said:

No matter what happened the rest of the game, it was over for us after the goaline stand. There’s just no way you can recover mentally from being stopped four times from the 1. The decision having two defenders on the field on offense on three consecutive plays in the most crucial of moments cannot be forgiven.  

We’re all going to have to relive that moment as nauseam in RRS highlight packages for the rest of our lives thanks to that fucking meathead decision. 

It was a meathead decision to have a package out there that has been successful for us all year?

I can get being upset with the playcalls and results, but calling it a meathead decision to have Sweat and Murphy out there blocking as fullbacks when it has been successful all year is dumb.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yev Kassem said:

The biggest problem with Sark is not just that he has at least one certifiable “wtf” moment each game, it’s that it’s  coupled with the decision being in the most crucial of moments. 

No matter what happened the rest of the game, it was over for us after the goaline stand. There’s just no way you can recover mentally from being stopped four times from the 1. The  decision for having two defenders on the field on offense on three consecutive plays in the most crucial of moments cannot be forgiven.  

We’re all going to have to relive that moment as nauseam in RRS highlight packages for the rest of our lives thanks to that fucking meathead decision. 

He wanted to play bully ball and he fucked around and found out he couldn't do it. That should be the last time we see our two best DEFENSIVE tackles playing offense. I would rather in that situation go with a TE, 1 or 2 RB's and use motion to find match-ups and put less guys in the box.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

It was a meathead decision to have a package out there that has been successful for us all year?

I can get being upset with the playcalls and results, but calling it a meathead decision to have Sweat and Murphy out there blocking as fullbacks when it has been successful all year is dumb.

It was moronic to run it three consecutive plays. Once, I get. Twice, maybe. Three? Gtfo. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

51 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I beg to differ. 

The haters are the ones certain that he'll fail, that every negative data point discerned with acute hindsight bias is yet another sure sign that he'll fail.

They're the ones drunk on Guyana punch.

The rest of us remain open-minded and uncertain that past performance guarantees future results.   We're not sure he'll succeed, or fail.  One thing is that the program does seem to be moving in a better direction than it has in the last 10 years.

Horseshit.

plenty of people who say they don’t think Sark is the guy are also saying “we can’t know we are right and we hope we are wrong”.

That’s no different than the Hope faction saying “past performance doesn’t guarantee future results”.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, longhornmatt said:

On our 90th birthdays, we will all wake up in a cold sweat shouting about the horror of October 7, 2023.  Our nursing home attendants will calm us, as we hear the new one ask, "That date sounds familiar - oh, was he in Israel during the Hamas attacks?"   The seasoned old nurse in charge will pause, let out a deep sigh, and gather herself a moment as she looks down on us with pity before explaining, "No, it is so much worse.  He is reliving [gulp] the time Texas got stuffed on 4th down against Oklahoma.  They had beaten Alabama and had a soft schedule, so they really thought an undefeated ... I'm sorry, it's just still hard to talk about even after all these years."

We have all stared into the abyss after this Saturday.  I weep for the remainder of our cursed existence.

Holy fuck this is gold. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

On our 90th birthdays, we will all wake up in a cold sweat shouting about the horror of October 7, 2023.  Our nursing home attendants will calm us, as we hear the new one ask, "That date sounds familiar - oh, was he in Israel during the Hamas attacks?"   The seasoned old nurse in charge will pause, let out a deep sigh, and gather herself a moment as she looks down on us with pity before explaining, "No, it is so much worse.  He is reliving [gulp] the time Texas got stuffed on 4th down against Oklahoma.  They had beaten Alabama and had a soft schedule, so they really thought an undefeated ... I'm sorry, it's just still hard to talk about even after all these years."

We have all stared into the abyss after this Saturday.  I weep for the remainder of our cursed existence.

Jennifer Lopez Applause GIF by NBC World Of Dance

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mannewers said:

No wonder our fanbase catches so much shit. How many teams go undefeated in a season on average? Did anyone here actually expect that going into the season?

Yet here we are, lose a game coach sucks, blah blah blah...

blOU was put in a position that they had to make plays during the last 75 seconds to win the game. They managed to do it, discussing that is a different topic. Which many of you have done in spades. Hindsight is 20/20.

Team played like dog shit, the could have turtled but didn't. Not sure that would have happened anytime in recent memory.

Why don't you give the coaches and players a chance to accomplish what many thought would be progress? Win 10+.

Buy hey, you do you. Be sure to come thump your chest, because you called it, if the wheels come off your beloved program.

I came into this season knowing I'd be happy with 10 wins, anything over would be gravy. It's still on the table and I'll continue to believe they get there.

I know.  Sark has given us two great seasons so we should cut him some slack

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AnotherLawyer said:

Barring injuries, I still think this team is too talented and too deep to lose another game.

There's one minor problem with this notion: We were too talented and deep to lose to OU last weekend.

We lost a game we should have won. It's pretty far from the first time this has happened to Sark; what makes you think that suddenly he will change his nature?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I stayed away this weekend, assuming the board would be loaded with doom and gloom and then a bunch of rationalization. After clicking around, it looks like things held together here somewhat nicely. 

That considered, now I'm worried about things here in the opposite direction. The general optimism towards the rest of the season across numerous threads creates the impression that a whole herd of you guys aren't prepared for what's actually going to unfold. That could lead to utter catastrophe when the inevitable happens, leading to numerous psychotic breaks for stunned denizens of this board and I'd hate to see it/hear about it.

The reality is, Steve Sarklostagain still hasn't done a fucking thing in his career to merit receiving the benefit of the doubt from the fanbase and posters on this board. He's never won more than 9 games, he's been outcoached on numerous occasions, and he's a born loser at heart, reflected repeatedly in a career of inexplicable losses. 

Seven Loss Steve's entire head coaching history reflects a penchant for winning games that surprise people and then following that soon enough with an inexplicable loss or seven. 

2009 - UW plays LSU close to open the season, then pulls a wild upset of USC in week 3 before going 5-7 with headscratching losses to a failing Weis-led ND program that went 6-6 and ended up firing their fat idiot head coach to end the year and then a loss to an eventual 4-8 ASU team that lost all 5 games they played after beating UW.

"but closetojumping, UW was 0-11 in 2008! he can't be dinged for the turnaround in that season!" - wait, there's more.

2010 - After upsetting 18th ranked USC on the road in the Colesseum, Seven Win turns around the next week at home and shits the bed against an ASU that had lost 3 straight and went 6-6.

2011 - No real surprising wins this season, but ol'Seven Loss did find a way to climb into the dumpster and light his team on fire by losing to an Oregon State that was 2-8 at the time and finished 3-9.

2012 - a 3rd straight 7 win season. Steve Sarkloseian took some early losses against good teams and brought his team roaring back to a 7-4 record and 4 game winning streak before bending his Washington team over and letting a 3-9 Washington State team just buttfuck it into oblivion in the annual rivalry game. He had some big time "we're back!" wins this season, beating #7 Stanford and #Oregon State.

2013 - Finally, a retooled roster with all of Seven Loss' own players! UW marches out to a 4-0 record before getting buzzsawed by the #5 and then #2 teams in the country, the latter in blowout fashion. Not the end of the world. Then, they headed to Tempe, still ranked, and were beaten by 4 touchdowns via a Todd Graham-led ASU team on no one's radar. At 8-4, and showing an obvious trajectory towards titles, USC calls Seven Win Steve home!

2014 - Seven Win's best year to date, he takes a USC team, ranked 15th to open the year, and they finish ranked #20 with underdog wins against two ranked opponents while also inexplicably losing a slap fight to a Boston College team that would finish 7-6.

2015 - Uneven Steven had USC open at #8 and then plummet out of the top 25 at 3-2 when he was seen visibly drunk on the sidelines during a loss to an unranked UW team and eventually fired for repeating the behavior the following week at practices.

2021 - No valued win in this 5-7 season of rebuilding! a 7-3 roster, but Texas did have standout losses to eventual 7-6 Iowa State, 2-10 Kansas, and 6-7 West Virginia.

2022 - We can argue about Texas Tech but Texas should have won that fucking game. Seven Win Steve freezing up with his playcalling against Tech, TCU, and Okie State played critical roles in the eventual 8-5 season.

2023 - If you can't find the next headscratching loss, you're not alone. No one else seems to be able to on this board either. I'll help you out though.

It is likely going to be among one of these opponents, and will likely be at least two of them, given history:

@UH

BYU

KSU

@TCU

@ISU

Tech

I've bolded my best bets, but it could happen with any of them.

Stop talking about the playoffs or rematching against OU. Texas doesn't have the coach for that. We're staring down the barrel of a 9-3 regular season. Sarkisian has said privately that he views bowl games as prep for the next season and the outcome doesn't concern him one way or the other. I'm assuming a banner year is in order here, and we see another career high 9 win season at 9-4. 

You can keep all of the receipts on this that you'd like, but you're not going to need them. 

So just how close are you to jumping? Is there a ledge in downtown Austin we should be sending the fire department?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

We were too talented and deep to lose to OU last weekend.

Obviously not. Granted we lost our starting C and were without our best CB.

It doesn't matter how good you are you can always lose in the Cotton Bowl. Ask OU.

23 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

plenty of people who say they don’t think Sark is the guy are also saying “we can’t know we are right and we hope we are wrong”.

I'm pretty sure TwiceHorn and I say what we mean and mean what we say when we say it. Just because you misrepresent yourself... doesn't mean everyone else does.

27 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

And folks are decrying this thread. This comment alone justifies its existence.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Ha. I felt like I could see it coming before the last UT drive. Shit happens. I rolled my eyes, sang the Eyes, and then I took a kid who started acting sick at the fair before the game back to the hotel immediately afterward to put him and his sudden fever to bed. Left the wife and other kids to deal with the sooner shit at Midway. Kicked back with some Shiner and watched all of the games afterwards. It was a nice day of college football if you can ignore the shitshow we watched on defense and in the injured interior OL.

You cannot take these outcomes this seriously anymore. I think you're older than I am and have been following this for a very long time.

See, it's the whiffs that folks like to recall. Here's hoping this is one of those. I was assuming this kind of reaction would be the bulk of the responses, not a bunch of shrieking that I'm unhinged or that, yeah, we are really are screwed. It's been like a mudhole post so far, which is awesome.

Brother, I let this shit ruin enough weekends.  All I can do is shake my head and laugh any more when we step on our dicks.  I'm hoping you posted the reverse jinx very strategically here today though.

39 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

He wanted to play bully ball and he fucked around and found out he couldn't do it. That should be the last time we see our two best DEFENSIVE tackles playing offense. I would rather in that situation go with a TE, 1 or 2 RB's and use motion to find match-ups and put less guys in the box.

Well hell, line up to kick a field goal and let Auburn run it up the middle.

4 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Even if you totally ignore losing your starting center, cornerback, and safety, and having your All-American tight end clearly limited, I don't really see how this is true.

Plenty of blame to go around, but our players brought their C game, and I put much of the blame for that on them and not the coaches. Stupid penalties, stupid turnovers, awful tackling, shit execution, Jaylon Ford looking like he was drunk as a skunk, AD Mitchell doing whatever the fuck it was AD Mitchell was doing, Jerrin Thompson dropping gifted interceptions, Gbenda blowing coverages, etc.  Someone check the security footage at the strip clubs in Dallas, because something was up.  If you want to blame all of that on the coaches because the buck stops there, sure, I get that.

And were there questionable decisions end of game? Sure. The running play on 3rd and 9 was somewhat similar to the 3rd and 7 running play on the last Bama drive. It works and everyone loves how tough you are, how you are out-Bama-ing-Bama, the culture has changed, blah blah blah. It doesn't work and you are a fucking turtling pussy who can't manage the clock (and yes, I realize they aren't perfectly comparable). The goal line shit show is much more egregious to me.  

I've always been anti-Sark, for a lot of the reasons stated in the OP. And maybe deep down I still am. But his talent accumulation and the way this team looked the first 5 games won me over to some degree. OU brought their A game, we brought our C game and had a few bad breaks, and lost on basically a last second touchdown. It fucking sucks, but if we meet OU again I am willing to bet we win by >7.

That was not an A game from OU. 

• Rage+1 2

There's one minor problem with this notion: We were too talented and deep to lose to OU last weekend.
We lost a game we should have won. It's pretty far from the first time this has happened to Sark; what makes you think that suddenly he will change his nature?

So you’re saying we lose to them again in the Big 12 championship? Wouldn’t that be something. We’ve never lost twice to them in one season.