Seven Win Steve Rides Again!

closetojumping

30 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I'm pretty sure TwiceHorn and I say what we mean and mean what we say when we say it. Just because you misrepresent yourself... doesn't mean everyone else does.

Go fuck yourself.

Texas losing is fucking miserable, losing to OU is exponentially so. 

Edited by lilMAC25

19 minutes ago, Constant said:

Very possible. Something that needs to be guarded against. Beating Texas won’t mean much if we fuck up against Central Florida. 

Sarcasm meter on the fritz but I think you are joking.  UCF is the worst team in the conference.   But you knew that.  

Edited by ClubWhatever

42 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Honestly, do people say 7 win Sark nowadays simply because it sounds good? 

I can't speak for anyone else, but I use various stupid names for the guy on this site simply because of the varied reactions it brings that entertain me. Not sure it really "sounds good", as there are many better nicknames in the sports world out there than "Seven Win Steve" but, hey, it came with the guy and it's his job to shake the moniker. 

35 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

So just how close are you to jumping? Is there a ledge in downtown Austin we should be sending the fire department?

I am calm as a bomb, as always. I already explained upthread that I wasn't actually incredibly upset or surprised by the end. I have a whole bunch of legitimate things of more importance to worry about than I did when I was 24 and picked this handle and tilted at the windmills of Greg Davis being expelled from the program after the Stanford loss.

24 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Brother, I let this shit ruin enough weekends.  All I can do is shake my head and laugh any more when we step on our dicks.  I'm hoping you posted the reverse jinx very strategically here today though.

I'm with you. And yeah, I wasn't thinking of it as a reverse jinx, but there was certainly a void of skepticism on here. A shit ton of discussion around the playoffs for Texas still and, while I think that's fun and healthy, the odds are way worse for that than it not happening. But sure, if Texas marches to the CFP from here, I will laugh every time someone tries to throw this thread in my face as some sort of proof of my idiocy. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Washington boards said we would get tired of Steve's WTF losses when we hired him and the last two years showed us what they were talking about. Because of that in another thread I posted that talk of a BIG XII Championship appearance needs to be shelved until after the TCU game.

Reasons for optimism.

a) Steve was useless at in game adjustments the first two years but this year he has made the necessary adjustments offensively.

b) The team is correcting issues from one week to the next. In prior years, Steve in pressers would say the issue will be corrected in the off-season. WTF?

c) Our freshmen are growing up and getting better.

Reasons why WTF loss may take place:

a) Teams are finding weaknesses every week and it is taking a lot of time to adjust on offense. So far it has not cost us since I blame the OU loss on the defensive game plan and player execution mistakes. The problem is that it could cost us if we continue to adjust late.

b) On defense we were finally challenged and like years past, PK was unable to make the proper in game adjustments, it almost felt like Tech last year.

c) Steve being the OC leaves a few things to drop by the wayside, this week it was a prevent defensive strategy for the final drive what will it be next time.

d) New issues show up every week on special teams that were not an issue the prior week like bad snaps, missing kicks, not catching punts or running into kickers. Is a monkey keeping a certain coach awake and unable to focus?

This year I see some changes in Steve and want to believe he somehow will get past the WTF loss. Yet, I am a realist so I will keep my hopes measured until after TCU.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Honestly, do people say 7 win Sark nowadays simply because it sounds good? 

Sark has coached 8 complete seasons, and has managed a record of 56-45 in those seasons. I'll let you do the math. If he wins out this year (assuming bigXII championship and 2 playoff wins) that would get him to 70 wins in 9 full seasons, and I would happily consider bumping that 7.77 average figure up to 8 win Steve. 

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Look, I know we are pissed but come on. This was never said.

I don't feel like finding the presser were he said it and the articles calling him out on it but he said it. It was something like there is not enough time and he really has to study the tape to get it fixed.

Edited by DanTheHorn

1 minute ago, DanTheHorn said:

I don't feel like finding the presser were he said it and the articles calling him out on it but he said it.

He said during the middle of a season that a problem wouldn't be fixed til the offseason? That would have made major headlines and been the meme of the year from Aggies and Sooners, if true.

So yes, I'll remain skeptical until I see some proof.

5 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I’m pissed because we won last year by attacking them from the start, we rolled them at the start two years again and then let up, and we just laid a turd this week. Mack Brown took over game strategy and motivation this weekend. 

I come here and the same posters who excuse that uninspired effort and tell us it’s all right to just approach this as any other game are also certain we’ll have a rematch for OU and we’ll win because “teams don’t beat other times twice.” I’ve even seen Sooners saying similar.

That sounds great but doesn’t align with our reality in any way. You’ve been watching a different team than I have for the last 40 years. 

One reason this game is so important to win is that it effectively gives us a mulligan in case we stumble. Newsflash: we always stumble. There is not a single thing that would lead me to believe Steve Sarkisian has what it takes to correct that. I absolutely hope I am wrong, but hope has very little to do with football. 

You all are wrong on two fronts. 1. You are good, will probably win out and will play OU for a chance to avenge your one loss and go to the playoff. The pressure will be awesome. 2. You didn’t win last year because you were uniquely aggressive. You won because OU walked in with the same terrible defense as previous years but also with a severely degrade offense (even with Gabriel) and without a starting qb. They played a third string transfer from Pitt and a TE most of the game. Last year was a disappointing wash brought to you by Riley’s departure and heist. 
Texas lost this year because in a crazy ass game they made a couple crucial errors.. but still had the lead with a minute  left. Come off the cliff.

Edited by Snoddydawg
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I wonder what it’s like over on the Miami fan boards. Are the Cristobal hardliners crucifying the player that fumbled and not the HC? Are they aware Mario did the same fucking thing at Oregon with Justin Herbert at QB in 2018 and also lost that game.

I’d be more worried if I am a hardliner of his that in his presser he said “we should have just taken a knee.

He did not say, “Shit. I shan’t do that again. I certainly learned my lesson.” It makes me think that yes, he will do that again. He has a weird thing of not taking a knee. Makes no GD sense. At least we don’t have this issue. 
https://247sports.com/article/mario-cristobal-miami-hurricanes-vs-georgia-tech-kneel-down-blown-game-has-happened-before-oregon--217743813/amp/

Random stat:  it took 10 years for Sark to go 5-0 as a HC and it took Venables 2 years. 

MensaTom put up 7-3 in 2020. The losses were by 2 and 3 to TCU and ISU, and 8 in OT to the gooners. Sark took over in 2021, started 4-1 and then WTF lost 6 in a row. Last  season, we whipped Bama but lost scoreboard to ref fuckery, then WTF'ed Tech, OSU, and TCU. This season, 5-0 to start. I'ma have to call the OU loss a WTF - had to know OU would be absolutely insane with revenge - and we shot ourselves in the foot. Just flat not ready for the hate. We not only didn't embrace it, we let it slip around back and lay a vigorous buttfucking on us... players, coaches, fans and all. And yet, we still had a solid chance to win, but our OC double-clutched the clock, and our HC allowed his Defensive Coordinator to prevent the win. 

The USC folks are antsy about Riley and his love affair with the Grinch - and rightly so - but I can't see a helluva lotta difference between that and the Sark-PK affair. 

Nah - you're right, I'm still pissed about the fuckery that put us in the end-game situation that we screwed up. Maybe a few days - or a few wins - and I'll be fine. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Washington boards said we would get tired of Steve's WTF losses when we hired him and the last two years showed us what they were talking about. Because of that in another thread I posted that talk of a BIG XII Championship appearance needs to be shelved until after the TCU game.

Reasons for optimism.

a) Steve was useless at in game adjustments the first two years but this year he has made the necessary adjustments offensively.

b) The team is correcting issues from one week to the next. In prior years, Steve in pressers would say the issue will be corrected in the off-season. WTF?

c) Our freshmen are growing up and getting better.

Reasons why WTF loss may take place:

a) Teams are finding weaknesses every week and it is taking a lot of time to adjust on offense. So far it has not cost us since I blame the OU loss on the defensive game plan and player execution mistakes. The problem is that it could cost us if we continue to adjust late.

b) On defense we were finally challenged and like years past, PK was unable to make the proper in game adjustments, it almost felt like Tech last year.

c) Steve being the OC leaves a few things to drop by the wayside, this week it was a prevent defensive strategy for the final drive what will it be next time.

d) New issues show up every week on special teams that were not an issue the prior week like bad snaps, missing kicks, not catching punts or running into kickers. Is a monkey keeping a certain coach awake and unable to focus?

This year I see some changes in Steve and want to believe he somehow will get past the WTF loss. Yet, I am a realist so I will keep my hopes measured until after TCU.

Have no idea how good tcu is I do know they will try to throat punch us as all our conference opponents try to

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

I'll say this -- Sark is who he is until he isn't. (Or something like that.)

Hahahaha - yeah, but who is he? His record, altogether, is right on the mark for Seven-win Steve. Winning out from here looks eminently doable, and we'll see how it turns out. If he's past the moniker now, we'll win more than 3 of the last 6.

3 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Sark was never able to build the talent level at previous stops to where's he's got it at Texas.  The talent advantage alone bumps him from 7 win Steve to 8 or 9 win Steve.  

That's certainly true of his time at Washington, but USC was fucking loaded when he was coach there. 

https://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

If Sark and this staff had to play every week against teams with equal talent, my guess is they would struggle to win at a .500 clip. But NIL now skews talent acquisition to such an extent, it gives me hope that Sark will eventually unfuck himself (see Miles, Lester and Orgeron, Ed). If those LSU teams can win by simply out-talenting people, its certainly possible Sark can do the same.

But I have no delusions that our coaching staff is anywhere close to being the best at "coaching em up" in the country, nor do I believe that they are the only staff that could recruit at our current levels to Texas. Just gotta hope the New York Yankees model pays off. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Blotto said:

That's certainly true of his time at Washington, but USC was fucking loaded when he was coach there. 

Talent, maybe, quality depth, hell no and that is incredibly important. You do know they were on scholarship limitations right? After transfers and Injuries they had less than 60 scholarship players while Sark was there. USC damn sure wasn't loaded, he was though.

Edited by Longhornlove

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

There's one minor problem with this notion: We were too talented and deep to lose to OU last weekend.

We lost a game we should have won. It's pretty far from the first time this has happened to Sark; what makes you think that suddenly he will change his nature?

But we weren't too talented and deep to lose to 0u. 0u's roster is usually right there with ours and vice versa, and Texas-0u is a different beast. I agree Texas should have won this game, but it's one of two where the opponent has the same talent level Texas does.

I don't necessarily think Sark will change his nature so much as I think having players around who won't let it hinder them is what makes the difference. Love him or hate him, Ewers is a good example. He broke Colt's completion record (what's the new record? 21 consecutive?) and was a big part of why Texas is on top with 1:17 to go after a -3 TO differential with its starting center out due to injury.

Doesn't matter. Fuck me for seeing something different.

59 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He said during the middle of a season that a problem wouldn't be fixed til the offseason? That would have made major headlines and been the meme of the year from Aggies and Sooners, if true.

So yes, I'll remain skeptical until I see some proof.

Now I remember what it was, he was asked if he would get involved with trying to fix the defensive issues the team was having. He said he really needed time to watch the tape and would not get involved until the offseason. It may have been year one because at some point I think it was last year he had the come to Jesus meeting during the season.

Sark did not lose us this game in my opinion. The soft as baby shit players lost us this game. There were only a few that showed up ready to fight. Sark called an aggressive game and sure he wasn’t perfect but neither was venables. How many times did we watch their end rough Ewers up then get in his face talking shit while our O line stood around like bitches. Ford looked like he was shying away from contact all game. Hill just needs more time but he’s going to be our best lb at the end of the year. Worst game by far from the players on the team. Quinn, worthy, and brooks showed a lot of toughness but that’s about it. I like what I saw out of Derrick Williams but all of our other safetys look like they’re running in slow motion. Bye week comes at a good time we should be able to regroup and run the table. We will make Oklahoma our bitch in the championship game.

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Sark has coached 8 complete seasons, and has managed a record of 56-45 in those seasons. I'll let you do the math. If he wins out this year (assuming bigXII championship and 2 playoff wins) that would get him to 70 wins in 9 full seasons, and I would happily consider bumping that 7.77 average figure up to 8 win Steve. 

The last time he won 7 games in a season was 2012 at Washington. 4 years after taking over a winless team. The seven win Sark thing is stupid and people still saying it 2023 are regarded

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Sark was never able to build the talent level at previous stops to where's he's got it at Texas.  The talent advantage alone bumps him from 7 win Steve to 8 or 9 win Steve.  

I prefer it is like PSR level on naked and afraid.  he can be 7.8 Win Steve

48 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

You’re right.  His first year here he won 5 games

I haven’t been around too long but were you a fucking beating during the Mack years too? Lol. Texas pretends to be a football school, you take Royal away and we have 1 heisman with like 10 total conference championships. One title with the rest of our coaches lol. What coach do you think would come here and just set this place straight? Urban Meyer is a fucking psycho and wouldn’t touch us. Herbstreit called us a cess pool on live television for fucks sake. We fired herman after winning a good amount of games. You can keep fucking that seven win Steve chicken but to what end man? You’re a pragmatist, not a kool aid drinker, blah blah blah. Is the program not heading in the right direction? I’m probably taking my anger out on you so I apologize in advance lol. 

1 hour ago, NOOBSDUDE said:

Sark did not lose us this game in my opinion. The soft as baby shit players lost us this game. There were only a few that showed up ready to fight. Sark called an aggressive game and sure he wasn’t perfect but neither was venables. How many times did we watch their end rough Ewers up then get in his face talking shit while our O line stood around like bitches. Ford looked like he was shying away from contact all game. Hill just needs more time but he’s going to be our best lb at the end of the year. Worst game by far from the players on the team. Quinn, worthy, and brooks showed a lot of toughness but that’s about it. I like what I saw out of Derrick Williams but all of our other safetys look like they’re running in slow motion. Bye week comes at a good time we should be able to regroup and run the table. We will make Oklahoma our bitch in the championship game.

Whittington deserves a mention

4 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I haven’t been around too long but were you a fucking beating during the Mack years too? Lol. Texas pretends to be a football school, you take Royal away and we have 1 heisman with like 10 total conference championships. One title with the rest of our coaches lol. What coach do you think would come here and just set this place straight? Urban Meyer is a fucking psycho and wouldn’t touch us. Herbstreit called us a cess pool on live television for fucks sake. We fired herman after winning a good amount of games. You can keep fucking that seven win Steve chicken but to what end man? You’re a pragmatist, not a kool aid drinker, blah blah blah. Is the program not heading in the right direction? I’m probably taking my anger out on you so I apologize in advance lol. 

Not sure why you are angry @WinningIsHard your user name implies you should just roll with a win or a loss or a tie. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Not sure why you are angry @WinningIsHard your user name implies you should just roll with a win or a loss or a tie. 

Well chuckles was never going to make it, herman developed a coke habit and was a raging psycho/asshole. In both tenures our recruiting, S&C, draftable players was just atrocious. Sark has turned a ton of that around. He’s got some faults for sure but how many titles does Ryan day have? Harbaugh? Riley? Dykes lol? Kiffin? Brian Kelly? All these fuckers win, a lot, all the time and don’t have a MNC. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

OU was always going to be a tough game. We should be a favorite in every remaining game.

I’ll worry about additional losses if they occur, but it’s a miserable way to watch sports if you resign yourself to mediocrity in a year when you appear poised for success.

Yep. I'd much rather be optimistic and be disappointed sometimes than just assume we're gonna lose all the time. If I do the latter, just waiting for a loss, then for me there's no point in even watching.

Fuck it. Let's win 6 and then go beat the shit outta ou sucks or whoever. 🤘

24 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Well chuckles was never going to make it, herman developed a coke habit and was a raging psycho/asshole. In both tenures our recruiting, S&C, draftable players was just atrocious. Sark has turned a ton of that around. He’s got some faults for sure but how many titles does Ryan day have? Harbaugh? Riley? Dykes lol? Kiffin? Brian Kelly? All these fuckers win, a lot, all the time and don’t have a MNC. 

This is just my two cents: I lost my dad (a UT grad) in 2005 the Tuesday before OU weekend in our glorious run to win it all.

I lost my aunt, who was more like a mother to me On September 28 (I was in the room with her when she took her last breath) and went to her funeral Friday the 6th and drove to Dallas in what I hoped would be a win for UT over OU.

I have like many others watched us fuck around in the wilderness for stretches my entire life. We sucked in the 1990’s when I was in college at UT. I stayed for every Eyes win or lose. I can count on one hand the times I have not and two of those were unavoidable leaving early type of deals.

One thing I feel like I have fucking earned is the right to criticize the Head Coach and any of the staff I so choose. Win and you won’t hear much out of me. Don’t and I have earned the right to not only criticize the fuck out of the coaching staff  I will do it on blast and ride their asses  like Zorro until they do win the big one. Period.

I don’t have the hatred some still do for Mack because we actually won the Big One and would have won a second one if Colt doesn’t get hurt. My whole life has been UT football from the time I was a little girl and my dad spent his time that he wasn’t hunting with my brother teaching me everything he knew about it. I miss him and I miss that I will never be able to call him and talk about football with him.

I cannot fathom why people take criticism of Sark personally. Unless posters are in fact Sark or a wife or family member. He hasn’t won anything yet and I’m not aggy and I am not going to go “well we beat Bama so the season is over and wasn’t that glorious!” Yes it was glorious and NO the GD season isn’t over. Win out and I won’t say Jack shit about Sark. Drop a loss or two more and posters should just put me on ignore because I have earned the right to criticize his ass until he wins. Anything less than a Big 12 Championship to me is bullshit with our roster. That’s Sark’s job. He wants to call plays fine. Then call winning ones and win every GD game from here on out. Stop starting games so lethargic and sloppy and win out damnit. 

If it seems like I’m heated I am and that’s because I am tired of being called an idiot by posters who CLEARLY know just about as much as me but somehow think  Sark is above any reproach or criticism. Fuck off with that. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

We have a more recent national title and undefeated season than OU you fucking pussy. 

And they’ve won like 55 conference championships and beaten us like 37 times since then, you fucking dunce. 

** Those are deliberately exaggerated numbers, Junior. 

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 2

When my wife buys shit clothing for me - which is pretty much anything she buys - I thank her profusely and honestly. I do appreciate her for that.
What I don't do is wear it in public, and especially not to a place where I might be recognized or photographed.
That shit is not off the rack son, someone either spent quite some time with a sewing machine or paid someone way too much to do it for them.

In those instances wearing it and taking whatever shit comes your way may be the best option.

14 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

If it seems like I’m heated I am and that’s because I am tired of being called an idiot by posters who CLEARLY know just about as much as me but somehow think  Sark is above any reproach or criticism. Fuck off with that. 

Texas fans (including Nicole44) deserve better results this season than that damn mistake filled game on Sat in the Cotton Bowl.

In Coach Erwin's video he said our defense has not improved since the baylor game. An example of few teams that have improved recently are jawja in kentucky game, bama vs both schools from mississippi, and michigan.  You can also say blOU definitely improved this past Saturday.

Teams that play for championships keep improving throughout the season -- it's what's required to become great.

It's time for this Texas team to get back to fuckin' work (especially on defense) and ball out the next 6 games so we can play for a B12 Championship!!!  🤘

• Hook 'Em 4

35 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

This is just my two cents: I lost my dad (a UT grad) in 2005 the Tuesday before OU weekend in our glorious run to win it all.

I lost my aunt, who was more like a mother to me On September 28 (I was in the room with her when she took her last breath) and went to her funeral Friday the 6th and drove to Dallas in what I hoped would be a win for UT over OU.

I have like many others watched us fuck around in the wilderness for stretches my entire life. We sucked in the 1990’s when I was in college at UT. I stayed for every Eyes win or lose. I can count on one hand the times I have not and two of those were unavoidable leaving early type of deals.

One thing I feel like I have fucking earned is the right to criticize the Head Coach and any of the staff I so choose. Win and you won’t hear much out of me. Don’t and I have earned the right to not only criticize the fuck out of the coaching staff  I will do it on blast and ride their asses  like Zorro until they do win the big one. Period.

I don’t have the hatred some still do for Mack because we actually won the Big One and would have won a second one if Colt doesn’t get hurt. My whole life has been UT football from the time I was a little girl and my dad spent his time that he wasn’t hunting with my brother teaching me everything he knew about it. I miss him and I miss that I will never be able to call him and talk about football with him.

I cannot fathom why people take criticism of Sark personally. Unless posters are in fact Sark or a wife or family member. He hasn’t won anything yet and I’m not aggy and I am not going to go “well we beat Bama so the season is over and wasn’t that glorious!” Yes it was glorious and NO the GD season isn’t over. Win out and I won’t say Jack shit about Sark. Drop a loss or two more and posters should just put me on ignore because I have earned the right to criticize his ass until he wins. Anything less than a Big 12 Championship to me is bullshit with our roster. That’s Sark’s job. He wants to call plays fine. Then call winning ones and win every GD game from here on out. Stop starting games so lethargic and sloppy and win out damnit. 

I don’t even know how I got this far into this rabbit hole with you but I’m sorry that you feel as if I’m telling you that you can’t complain. Your dad and aunt sound like great people and the world is a worse place without them in it. The problem with your complaint is it’s fantastical, our second best coach of all time never dominated ou. He won two big 12 titles in like 15 years. He never had a heisman that he he recruited. He only had one undefeated season with, checks notes, the greatest college football player of all time. Colt won like 54 fucking games and won one big 12 title and that’s it. He’s largely irrelevant outside of Texas legend. We expect so much but is it reality???? Royal was a fucking legend who set the tone. What have we done since then? Base your bitching and expectations off that track record lol. You don’t have to though, you can absolutely keep holding sark to the coals and ride his ass for results you have never actually had. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, WinningIsHard said:

I don’t even know how I got this far into this rabbit hole with you but I’m sorry that you feel as if I’m telling you that you can’t complain. Your dad and aunt sound like great people and the world is a worse place without them in it. The problem with your complaint is it’s fantastical, our second best coach of all time never dominated ou. He won two big 12 titles in like 15 years. He never had a heisman that he he recruited. He only had one undefeated season with, checks notes, the greatest college football player of all time. Colt won like 54 fucking games and won one big 12 title and that’s it. He’s largely irrelevant outside of Texas legend. We expect so much but is it reality???? Royal was a fucking legend who set the tone. What have we done since then? Base your bitching and expectations off that track record lol. You don’t have to though, you can absolutely keep holding sark to the coals and ride his ass for results you have never actually had. 

I appreciate your kind words and thank you.  but don’t get why you are bothered by what I think of Sark. My opinion doesn’t matter in the scheme of things and it’s not going to affect Sark’s job or his recruiting or in game decisions. It doesn’t change a damn thing. I criticized Mack plenty. And often and loudly. I wasn’t alive when DKR coached. None of the coaches we have had since DKR are above reproach. That includes Mack. My point was as much as MB screwed up he at least has a championship. If Sark is a better coach then he needs to prove it by winning one. That’s where I come down on it and it’s pretty simple to me. 5-7, 8-5 and we’re off to 5-1 with plenty of talent to make that our only loss this year. People have already crowned Sark’s ass and they should be just as critical of him as they have been everyone else. I don’t really see it as that complicated a thing. 

• Hook 'Em 1