Seven Win Steve Rides Again!

closetojumping

At the end of the day we are 5-1 to begin season 3 of Sark. We were also 5-1 to begin season 2 of Herman. As much as I want to believe this team is far superior to Herman's and we're going to win our next 7 games and clinch our first conference title in 14 years, we are a battered fanbase that no longer buys stock in potential. Results are all that matter at this stage, and until those results come we'll remain pessimistic and skeptic. Chris Fowler had the most Texas fan appropriate reaction moments after Texas beat Alabama when he said "Texas. Is. 2-0!". He stopped short of saying Texas is back because he knows how often that has been said over the past decade + only to see the season eventually fall apart. All there is to do at this point is to ride out the rest of the season and see how we ended up in early December. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, mdmost said:

Losing to OU, our lone rival in a game where we tend to never have the same chip on our shoulder that they do, was always a possibility.

It’s especially possible when your head coach is telling you, just go have fun right before the game. Motherfucker, this is the RRS, they’re going to be trading punches out there until someone gets the best of the opponent. Then it becomes fun. Listening to him tell the players this, and seeing their reaction during the warmup, had me thinking it was going to be a long day. They were looking at him like, “are you serious right now, coach?” The team needed to come out fired up, angry, not like it was an elementary school field day.

• Rage+1 2

Well I’m 38 and have been watching my beloved longhorns since I was 12 and James brown rolled left. I have maybe 20 more seasons left in me and I’ll continue to believe every year that my Horns can win it all and deal with the consequences later. We will win out and smack the shit out of ousux in December. For y’all not on the hype train I ask in my most polite Bo Davis voice “get in the Mother Fucker”!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Atticus said:

Would our loss not be seen as a stumble too?

Isn’t it better to stumble early in the season in a rivalry game? Especially where the losing team doesn’t look completely outclassed?

I think Kansas state will give us issues because of the running qb, good OL, and we need to show that we can put together three good games in a row. 

Ok do you really want to rely on a Big-12 tie-breaker to get into any of the NY6 bowls if we don't make the playoffs?  They will pull something out of their ass to keep us out, like the Alabama win doesn't count because it was in the SEC and not the Big-12. 

I think we win out and face an undefeated OU a second time and we win.  That will take care of any tie-breakers.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

The last time he won 7 games in a season was 2012 at Washington. 4 years after taking over a winless team. The seven win Sark thing is stupid and people still saying it 2023 are regarded

He has averaged 6.5 wins/season in his two completed seasons so far at Texas. His career average is  7 wins a fucking season. Go ahead and put him in the hall of fame if you want, I have seen nothing to believe he's anything but average as a head coach. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Blotto said:

He has averaged 6.5 wins/season in his two completed seasons so far at Texas. His career average is  7 wins a fucking season. Go ahead and put him in the hall of fame if you want, I have seen nothing to believe he's anything but average as a head coach. 

If he wins 11 games this season, his career average is still gonna be around 7 wins. You’re still gonna call him 7 win Sark? That’s regarded but have at it

5 hours ago, Blotto said:

That's certainly true of his time at Washington, but USC was fucking loaded when he was coach there. 

https://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

If Sark and this staff had to play every week against teams with equal talent, my guess is they would struggle to win at a .500 clip. But NIL now skews talent acquisition to such an extent, it gives me hope that Sark will eventually unfuck himself (see Miles, Lester and Orgeron, Ed). If those LSU teams can win by simply out-talenting people, its certainly possible Sark can do the same.

But I have no delusions that our coaching staff is anywhere close to being the best at "coaching em up" in the country, nor do I believe that they are the only staff that could recruit at our current levels to Texas. Just gotta hope the New York Yankees model pays off. 

Tell me the last coach we had who was good at "coaching 'em up." It was probably DKR for chrissakes. Mack won it all  -- ONCE. And he was the best recruiter in college football in the 2000's.

5 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

Talent, maybe, quality depth, hell no and that is incredibly important. You do know they were on scholarship limitations right? After transfers and Injuries they had less than 60 scholarship players while Sark was there. USC damn sure wasn't loaded, he was though.

And he was boozed up most of that time.

5 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

If he wins 11 games this season, his career average is still gonna be around 7 wins. You’re still gonna call him 7 win Sark? That’s regarded but have at it

Meh.....if he gets to 11, he'll be averaging 8 wins here at Texas, so I'll probably  bump him up to 8 win Esteban.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

He never had a heisman that he he recruited. He only had one undefeated season with, checks notes, the greatest college football player of all time. 

He didn’t recruit a Heisman but he sure as shit recruited the greatest player of all time   
And he won it all which gives him a pass in my book, it’s hard for me to hate the guy who gave us 2005 with Mc and Mac before and Strong and Herman after.

as far as Sark goes, he’s had his best and his worst career stretches here at UT, a 6 game skid and a 5 game streak.  He’s 18-13 so far which is <60%, take out the G5 warmups and he’s 12-13.  

He’s a damn good OC who has not earned the blind optimism that he is or will be an above average HC  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Jimbob said:

He didn’t recruit a Heisman but he sure as shit recruited the greatest player of all time   
And he won it all which gives him a pass in my book, it’s hard for me to hate the guy who gave us 2005 with Mc and Mac before and Strong and Herman after.

as far as Sark goes, he’s had his best and his worst career stretches here at UT, a 6 game skid and a 5 game streak.  He’s 18-13 so far which is <60%, take out the G5 warmups and he’s 12-13.  

He’s a damn good OC who has not earned the blind optimism that he is or will be an above average HC  

We don't have to give Mack a pass haha. He won a fuck a load of games, made us relevant nationally, and put a ton of players in the NFL. It's a travesty that Vince never won a heisman, but its ridiculous that we never had anybody else win one either. Oklahoma has 4 in the last 20 some odd years. I keep hearing this blind optimism that Sark is going to be good bit but nowhere did I say he was going to win anything significant lol. I'm trying to tell you that you fuckers are the ones who set the optimism level for our head coach at a level that only DKR met and its maddening. Oklahoma won 5 big 12 titles in a row, and 15 or something regarded in 23 years. Their fans can say "venables better win a conference championshiop" haha. Ours need to hope that we recruit well, put kids in the nfl, and we start winning 10 games again. Titles of any sort are just gravy until we become a football program that wins those conference championships year in and year out. 

27 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

We don't have to give Mack a pass haha. He won a fuck a load of games, made us relevant nationally, and put a ton of players in the NFL. It's a travesty that Vince never won a heisman, but its ridiculous that we never had anybody else win one either. Oklahoma has 4 in the last 20 some odd years. I keep hearing this blind optimism that Sark is going to be good bit but nowhere did I say he was going to win anything significant lol. I'm trying to tell you that you fuckers are the ones who set the optimism level for our head coach at a level that only DKR met and its maddening. Oklahoma won 5 big 12 titles in a row, and 15 or something regarded in 23 years. Their fans can say "venables better win a conference championshiop" haha. Ours need to hope that we recruit well, put kids in the nfl, and we start winning 10 games again. Titles of any sort are just gravy until we become a football program that wins those conference championships year in and year out. 

Yet none of those 4 blowu QB's ever won a natty. Some offenses are designed so the QB puts up big numbers, others are designed to win FB games. I'll take the latter. Did Andre Ware really deserve a Heisman? Although, I agree Vince was robbed, but I would rather have the natty than a Hypsman.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

you fuckers are the ones who set the optimism level for our head coach at a level that only DKR met and its maddening. Oklahoma won 5 big 12 titles in a row, and 15 or something regarded in 23 years. Their fans can say "venables better win a conference championshiop" haha. Ours need to hope that we recruit well, put kids in the nfl, and we start winning 10 games again. Titles of any sort are just gravy until we become a football program that wins those conference championships year in and year out. 

DKR coached when larger rosters were allowed, and the talent disparity between his teams and opponents was often much greater.  

Some might find it interesting to review DKR's full head coaching record :

Screenshot_20231010-070048_kindlephoto-689311.png.5a10a5420e3c0d9417b64d5ff3c76ce1.png

Screenshot_20231010-065938_kindlephoto-620788.thumb.png.6d0b6f201d81b2db419891994009d3d1.png

According to Surly's lofty expectations, one could think that at times DKR really sucked. 😋

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 2

image.thumb.jpeg.af2e91578bd569e737e71428dc5ac55a.jpeg

"We have all stared into the abyss after this Saturday. I weep for the remainder of our cursed existence." -- LonghornMatt

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

19 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I stayed away this weekend, assuming the board would be loaded with doom and gloom and then a bunch of rationalization. After clicking around, it looks like things held together here somewhat nicely. 

That considered, now I'm worried about things here in the opposite direction. The general optimism towards the rest of the season across numerous threads creates the impression that a whole herd of you guys aren't prepared for what's actually going to unfold. That could lead to utter catastrophe when the inevitable happens, leading to numerous psychotic breaks for stunned denizens of this board and I'd hate to see it/hear about it.

The reality is, Steve Sarklostagain still hasn't done a fucking thing in his career to merit receiving the benefit of the doubt from the fanbase and posters on this board. He's never won more than 9 games, he's been outcoached on numerous occasions, and he's a born loser at heart, reflected repeatedly in a career of inexplicable losses. 

Seven Loss Steve's entire head coaching history reflects a penchant for winning games that surprise people and then following that soon enough with an inexplicable loss or seven. 

2009 - UW plays LSU close to open the season, then pulls a wild upset of USC in week 3 before going 5-7 with headscratching losses to a failing Weis-led ND program that went 6-6 and ended up firing their fat idiot head coach to end the year and then a loss to an eventual 4-8 ASU team that lost all 5 games they played after beating UW.

"but closetojumping, UW was 0-11 in 2008! he can't be dinged for the turnaround in that season!" - wait, there's more.

2010 - After upsetting 18th ranked USC on the road in the Colesseum, Seven Win turns around the next week at home and shits the bed against an ASU that had lost 3 straight and went 6-6.

2011 - No real surprising wins this season, but ol'Seven Loss did find a way to climb into the dumpster and light his team on fire by losing to an Oregon State that was 2-8 at the time and finished 3-9.

2012 - a 3rd straight 7 win season. Steve Sarkloseian took some early losses against good teams and brought his team roaring back to a 7-4 record and 4 game winning streak before bending his Washington team over and letting a 3-9 Washington State team just buttfuck it into oblivion in the annual rivalry game. He had some big time "we're back!" wins this season, beating #7 Stanford and #Oregon State.

2013 - Finally, a retooled roster with all of Seven Loss' own players! UW marches out to a 4-0 record before getting buzzsawed by the #5 and then #2 teams in the country, the latter in blowout fashion. Not the end of the world. Then, they headed to Tempe, still ranked, and were beaten by 4 touchdowns via a Todd Graham-led ASU team on no one's radar. At 8-4, and showing an obvious trajectory towards titles, USC calls Seven Win Steve home!

2014 - Seven Win's best year to date, he takes a USC team, ranked 15th to open the year, and they finish ranked #20 with underdog wins against two ranked opponents while also inexplicably losing a slap fight to a Boston College team that would finish 7-6.

2015 - Uneven Steven had USC open at #8 and then plummet out of the top 25 at 3-2 when he was seen visibly drunk on the sidelines during a loss to an unranked UW team and eventually fired for repeating the behavior the following week at practices.

2021 - No valued win in this 5-7 season of rebuilding! a 7-3 roster, but Texas did have standout losses to eventual 7-6 Iowa State, 2-10 Kansas, and 6-7 West Virginia.

2022 - We can argue about Texas Tech but Texas should have won that fucking game. Seven Win Steve freezing up with his playcalling against Tech, TCU, and Okie State played critical roles in the eventual 8-5 season.

2023 - If you can't find the next headscratching loss, you're not alone. No one else seems to be able to on this board either. I'll help you out though.

It is likely going to be among one of these opponents, and will likely be at least two of them, given history:

@UH

BYU

KSU

@TCU

@ISU

Tech

I've bolded my best bets, but it could happen with any of them.

Stop talking about the playoffs or rematching against OU. Texas doesn't have the coach for that. We're staring down the barrel of a 9-3 regular season. Sarkisian has said privately that he views bowl games as prep for the next season and the outcome doesn't concern him one way or the other. I'm assuming a banner year is in order here, and we see another career high 9 win season at 9-4. 

You can keep all of the receipts on this that you'd like, but you're not going to need them. 

I'd throw in @ TCU as well that could give him issues.

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

In Coach Erwin's video he said our defense has not improved since the baylor game.  

We have played 1 team all year that had a legit QB, and we lost. We knew the Big 12 would be a shitshow this season and that was heightened by the tsunami of QB injuries that allowed us to play 3 garbage backup QBs in a row. We will get to 9 or 10 regular season wins but it doesn't mean our coaches are competent. This will become crystal clear next season.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

35 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

DKR coached when larger rosters were allowed, and the talent disparity between his teams and opponents was often much greater.  

Screenshot_20231010-070048_kindlephoto-689311.png.5a10a5420e3c0d9417b64d5ff3c76ce1.png

Screenshot_20231010-065938_kindlephoto-620788.thumb.png.6d0b6f201d81b2db419891994009d3d1.png

According to Surly's lofty expectations, one could think that at times DKR really sucked. 😋

For me it's more about expectations vs actual results. DKR beat more talented teams and Fred Akers did too. Fred's downfall was the unreal cheating he had to coach against yet he still beat some of those teams. Reality is no coach since Akers has overachieved vs expected results when it comes to talent level, not even Mack. Except maybe McWilliams one year. The real question is why has Texas sucked so bad when it comes to hiring coaches? 

Four out of the previous 5 coaches prior to Sark sucked. I think Sark is still TBD, but his history is concerning. He's too stubborn to adjust. Other, much lesser schools have hired multiple overachieving coaches in the same time period. Texas has an administration problem.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

I don’t even know how I got this far into this rabbit hole with you but I’m sorry that you feel as if I’m telling you that you can’t complain. Your dad and aunt sound like great people and the world is a worse place without them in it. The problem with your complaint is it’s fantastical, our second best coach of all time never dominated ou. He won two big 12 titles in like 15 years. He never had a heisman that he he recruited. He only had one undefeated season with, checks notes, the greatest college football player of all time. Colt won like 54 fucking games and won one big 12 title and that’s it. He’s largely irrelevant outside of Texas legend. We expect so much but is it reality???? Royal was a fucking legend who set the tone. What have we done since then? Base your bitching and expectations off that track record lol. You don’t have to though, you can absolutely keep holding sark to the coals and ride his ass for results you have never actually had. 

Well the good news is NIL is the present day version of no scholly limits so DKR 2.0 should arrive soon. He was no doubt a great but his institutional advantages were astounding. 

35 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

We have played 1 team all year that had a legit QB, and we lost. We knew the Big 12 would be a shitshow this season and that was heightened by the tsunami of QB injuries that allowed us to play 3 garbage backup QBs in a row. We will get to 9 or 10 regular season wins but it doesn't mean our coaches are competent. This will become crystal clear next season.  

Good news, beer is always free tomorrow.............Funny how people justify their stances on subjects with far out predictions. I could go CR but I won't.

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

How many times have we played them twice in one season?

I think only once and we split that series. I'd prefer winning the Big 12 title if we make it there and beating them then over the regular season game. Going forward the goal should be beat Oklahoma every year....that should be entrenched into our players psyche.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

I think only once and we split that series. I'd prefer winning the Big 12 title if we make it there and beating them then over the regular season game. Going forward the goal should be beat Oklahoma every year....that should be entrenched into our players psyche.

Another thing to entrench into our player psyche (mostly OL): Don’t just fucking stand there when a OU linebacker is standing over your QB and smashing his helmet into your QB’s while taunting him.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

10 hours ago, NOOBSDUDE said:

Well I’m 38 and have been watching my beloved longhorns since I was 12 and James brown rolled left. I have maybe 20 more seasons left in me and I’ll continue to believe every year that my Horns can win it all and deal with the consequences later. We will win out and smack the shit out of ousux in December. For y’all not on the hype train I ask in my most polite Bo Davis voice “get in the Mother Fucker”!

I’m almost a quarter century older than you, and I expect at least 20 more seasons. Do you have something to share with us?

1 hour ago, Hard Times said:

Yet none of those 4 blowu QB's ever won a natty. Some offenses are designed so the QB puts up big numbers, others are designed to win FB games. I'll take the latter. Did Andre Ware really deserve a Heisman? Although, I agree Vince was robbed, but I would rather have the natty than a Hypsman.

Negged for saying natty. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, NOOBSDUDE said:

Are you a smoker?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

haha! well played sir. I agree that our expectations are what Ohio state, USC, and bama should expect. Come on though, count those conference championships. Count the amount of times he lost 1 or 2 games. 10 of his 19 seasons he went undefeated or lost 1-2 games. 11 conference championships. If we continue that trend even slightly then yeah lets roast Sark right now for letting us all down. We are who we are, and that's ok. We have won a lot of football games, we have some absolute legends of college football, and we have 4 titles. I went and checked just to make sure, before DKR which is 42 years, we won 11 conference titles. DKR won 11 in 19 seasons LOL. Then for the next 47 years we win 8 total. That's 30 total, meanwhile oklahoma has 49. 

1 hour ago, USNALonghorn said:

Another thing to entrench into our player psyche (mostly OL): Don’t just fucking stand there when a OU linebacker is standing over your QB and smashing his helmet into your QB’s while taunting him.

This. Eat the 15yds once with a rendition of the waterboy on that mother fucker. He’ll think twice before doing it again. 

15 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Are you a smoker?

I’m a joker. 

58 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

closetojumping's law - the longer an Internet football discussion goes forward, the probability of a comparison in some form to Nick Saban approaches 1.

LOL. I'm not sure about Sark either way. But I have no control over the situation. I went to games when DKR was coach so I've run the gamut of emotions. I could have picked Tom Herman who averaged 9 wins a year his first 6 years but would have been neg'd into oblivion. Predicting the future in something as complex as football is useless. 10 years ago if you said Bill Belichick was about to get fired at New England you would have been laughed out of the room.  

It took Mack 8 years and Superman to bring home a championship.

It took Dabo 8 years to play for one, 9 to win one.

Year 6 for Kirby.

Right or Wrong, we expect to hit on the next Saban that flips things on a dime. Those don't come along very often. Plus, he and the others had assistance from the bag game.

I have no idea if Sark is going to work out or not but if progress is being made you have got to have some patience at some point. Obviously, I am rooting for him because I want the mediocrity to end. Patience at least got Michigan back into the conversation....

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

haha! well played sir. I agree that our expectations are what Ohio state, USC, and bama should expect. Come on though, count those conference championships. Count the amount of times he lost 1 or 2 games. 10 of his 19 seasons he went undefeated or lost 1-2 games. 11 conference championships. If we continue that trend even slightly then yeah lets roast Sark right now for letting us all down. We are who we are, and that's ok. We have won a lot of football games, we have some absolute legends of college football, and we have 4 titles. I went and checked just to make sure, before DKR which is 42 years, we won 11 conference titles. DKR won 11 in 19 seasons LOL. Then for the next 47 years we win 8 total. That's 30 total, meanwhile oklahoma has 49. 
While there are many factors that contribute to bloU winning more conference titles than Texas, the one that can't be ignored is the fact OU is a football factory. The school exists to support the football team, not the other way round. The same can be said of Alabama, LSU and a few other SEC schools that have had success from time to time.

It's kinda like going to NYC or Chicago and finding some little out of the way Italian restaurant or deli that looks like it's been around forever and you think to yourself "hidden gem! I bet the food is fantastic and only the locals know about it!" Then you give it a try and discover the food is mediocre to bad and the service is quite indifferent..and also you're the only one eating there. Oops, stumbled into a money laundering operation for the mafia.
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ousux said:

While there are many factors that contribute to bloU winning more conference titles than Texas, the one that can't be ignored is the fact OU is a football factory. The school exists to support the football team, not the other way round. The same can be said of Alabama, LSU and a few other SEC schools that have had success from time to time.

It's kinda like going to NYC or Chicago and finding some little out of the way Italian restaurant or deli that looks like it's been around forever and you think to yourself "hidden gem! I bet the food is fantastic and only the locals know about it!" Then you give it a try and discover the food is mediocre to bad and the service is quite indifferent..and also you're the only one eating there. Oops, stumbled into a money laundering operation for the mafia.

The people in Austin don't care about football.  It's obvious from the lackadaisical reactions on Saturday.

But what do I know, I'm just a midget ex-fireman. 

• Fuck You 14

The people in Austin don't care about football.  It's obvious from the lackadaisical reactions on Saturday.

They will jump on the bandwagon if the team is doing well and creating national buzz, but indifference quickly sets in after a loss or two.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Am I missing the sarcasm?  Half this message board has been in near-meltdown mode since Saturday 2:30 PM.  Constant arguing whether it's the coaches that suck or the players that suck or the refs that suck. Heck, CTJ nearly jumped.

We're dealing with some serious shit, here.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, ousux said:
13 minutes ago, SocaliLonghorn said:

They will jump on the bandwagon if the team is doing well and creating national buzz, but indifference quickly sets in after a loss or two.

Just shut the program down.  Put all that money into the softball team.  Might actually be able to win a softball NC.

• Fuck You 16

21 minutes ago, mannewers said:

It took Mack 8 years and Superman to bring home a championship.

It took Dabo 8 years to play for one, 9 to win one.

Year 6 for Kirby.

Right or Wrong, we expect to hit on the next Saban that flips things on a dime. Those don't come along very often. Plus, he and the others had assistance from the bag game.

I have no idea if Sark is going to work out or not but if progress is being made you have got to have some patience at some point. Obviously, I am rooting for him because I want the mediocrity to end. Patience at least got Michigan back into the conversation....

Let's be clear about a few things, because I'm happy with the direction of this thread and this post deviates in a way that doesn't excite me. It's not a bad post or anything, just addressing something that I don't see needing to be addressed here.

I am not calling for Seven Loss Steve's firing in this thread. I don't see others doing it. I want, desperately, for this guy to work out and for the program to get back to winning big. I also have stated repeatedly that the dude will get 4 years no matter what. That conviction comes from actually hearing some of the thoughts from inside the AD and booster base. 

I wrote this thread mostly out of ennui and for cheap entertainment. Anyone calling for the guy's head right now is an idiot and should be negged into a new handle. Anyone skeptical of the guy getting it done, of which I am certainly one, has a right to be. There is a difference. I think all but the simplest of idiots hanging around here want to see the guy and the team breakthrough.

9 minutes ago, SocaliLonghorn said:

Speaking of simple idiots, your first few posts fucking suck. You come across as a troll, and most of us would probably agree that this handle is a new iteration of someone who has already been crowdsourced. You don't have to start posting if you don't have something productive to offer yet. Otherwise, an early crowdsourcing might be what the doctor ordered.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, NOOBSDUDE said:

You planning on checking out at 58?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, SocaliLonghorn said:

Might actually get more wins than Tech this year.

18 minutes ago, SocaliLonghorn said:

5 minutes ago, SocaliLonghorn said:

Just shut the program down.  Put all that money into the softball team.  Might actually be able to win a softball NC.

We've got a bandwidth drainer here, folks.

• Hook 'Em 1