Seven Win Steve Rides Again!

closetojumping

22 hours ago, BevoAbyss said:

Attn: thatguy. So you are a "Philosophy major." Good for you. Really, that's good. Sign up for a logic course and aesthetic course when you get the chance.  

Your hyper-empiricist (movement by movement of each play and player) analysis refuted absolutely nothing I said about the aesthetics inherent in Sark and his play-calling. In fact, it reinforces it, because your analyses revealed the ugliness/ridiculousness/absurdity of the player execution. Sark's design backfired. A tragedy of errors. You called it. Spot on. 

Also, what random UT fans would have said about various Sark play calls refutes zero of anything I actually said about the inherent aesthetics in Sark's play calling, beautiful and ugly, sublime and ridiculous. Zero! 

But it is pointless for this dialogue to continue. You do your football. I know aesthetics/design in the cultural world (including football), been around it all my life, and part of my career involves aesthetics/design.

So, adios. 

Black people have a saying-"I got time today". We use it when someone is out of pocket and instead of ignoring them we invite the confrontation.

What you said is idiotic because it can be applied to every coach that is a good playcaller/designer. Good playcalling is both about play design AND breaking tendency and its most effective the more unexpected it is. If all we were trying to do is play "safe" football we would be running Woody Hayes three yards and a cloud of dust offense. However, if you want to score you need to have some creativity, and that creative lends itself to the aesthetics you mentioned. The problem with your theory is that aesthetics are subjective. Someone like you would tell Steph Curry to quit shooting 30 footers, because in your opinion his game is built around being flashy. He has 4 rings and is the greatest shooter of all time. I don't think he would lend you an ear. Newsflash, Jordan was a flashy player too-6 rings.

In 2008 the Washington Huskies scored 16.1 pts per game. The very next year they scored 26.1 when Sark arrived. When he left there they were scoring 37.9, and the very next year they dropped to 30.2 pts per game. In 2013 USC was scoring 29.7 before Sark and 35.8 his first year. The year after he left they dropped to 34.4. In 2018 Bama was scoring 45.6 pts per game and 47.2 when Sark came aboard. Sark left scoring 48.5 pts per game, and the very next year they dropped to 39.9. Coincidently that 2020 scoring average is the highest Saban has ever had.

Texas is the only college Sarkisian has ever been where he didn't immediately improve the offense, and that's only because 2020 was an abbreviated season and Covid. Scoring was up all over the big12. So you see your complaining about a guy who improved offensive numbers at every stop he made in the CFB is akin to telling Steph Curry to quit shooting jumpshots. We are number 13 in total offense after having played OU and Alabama, two top 15 scoring defenses.

Your whole argument is based on a guy who's offense got us the lead with a minute left to play. Go over to the defense thread and bitch about aesthetics over function. At least there you would have a leg to stand on. Now please enjoy this offering by Moneybagg Yo. It's on topic.

• Haha 1

Anyone that was expecting another 49-0 was setting themselves up for disappointment. Anytime you beat a team 49-0, they will likely have you circled on their schedule the next year. Even though we should win if we play OU again, I wouldn't expect it to be a cake-walk at all. It's pretty obvious that they are a much improved team this year. They looked pretty even with us physically, and Gabriel is good enough to keep them in any game. 

Edited by z009

5 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Black people have a saying-"I got time today". We use it when someone is out of pocket and instead of ignoring them we invite the confrontation.

What you said is idiotic because it can be applied to every coach that is a good playcaller/designer. Good playcalling is both about play design AND breaking tendency and its most effective the more unexpected it is. If all we were trying to do is play "safe" football we would be running Woody Hayes three yards and a cloud of dust offense. However, if you want to score you need to have some creativity, and that creative lends itself to the aesthetics you mentioned. The problem with your theory is that aesthetics are subjective. Someone like you would tell Steph Curry to quit shooting 30 footers, because in your opinion his game is built around being flashy. He has 4 rings and is the greatest shooter of all time. I don't think he would lend you an ear. Newsflash, Jordan was a flashy player too-6 rings.

In 2008 the Washington Huskies scored 16.1 pts per game. The very next year they scored 26.1 when Sark arrived. When he left there they were scoring 37.9, and the very next year they dropped to 30.2 pts per game. In 2013 USC was scoring 29.7 before Sark and 35.8 his first year. The year after he left they dropped to 34.4. In 2018 Bama was scoring 45.6 pts per game and 47.2 when Sark came aboard. Sark left scoring 48.5 pts per game, and the very next year they dropped to 39.9. Coincidently that 2020 scoring average is the highest Saban has ever had.

Texas is the only college Sarkisian has ever been where he didn't immediately improve the offense, and that's only because 2020 was an abbreviated season and Covid. Scoring was up all over the big12. So you see your complaining about a guy who improved offensive numbers at every stop he made in the CFB is akin to telling Steph Curry to quit shooting jumpshots. We are number 13 in total offense after having played OU and Alabama, two top 15 scoring defenses.

Your whole argument is based on a guy who's offense got us the lead with a minute left to play. Go over to the defense thread and bitch about aesthetics over function. At least there you would have a leg to stand on. Now please enjoy this offering by Moneybagg Yo. It's on topic.

Not really related, but I would like to point out that GDGD’s 2005 Texas offense averaged 51 points/game.  I think having VY was ever so slightly helpful on that metric though.

• Hook 'Em 1

Did anybody watch the end of that 49ers game? 45 seconds left with no timeouts, shanahan calls a fuckin run up the middle. They then went to the line to spike the ball. His field goal kicker is not reliable. He missed it lol. Forced with relying on a shit kicker or going for the TD with your weapons hampered and your OL struggling he decided to kick the fg. That sounds eerily similar lol. I’m sure it’s because shanahan is a pussy and didn’t put his players in the right spots to win lulz. I’m probably being an asshole, maybe it’s apples to oranges. 

12 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Did anybody watch the end of that 49ers game? 45 seconds left with no timeouts, shanahan calls a fuckin run up the middle. They then went to the line to spike the ball. His field goal kicker is not reliable. He missed it lol. Forced with relying on a shit kicker or going for the TD with your weapons hampered and your OL struggling he decided to kick the fg. That sounds eerily similar lol. I’m sure it’s because shanahan is a pussy and didn’t put his players in the right spots to win lulz. I’m probably being an asshole, maybe it’s apples to oranges. 

Lol.  If his kicker makes it (like Bert did) the SF defense is just slightttly more reliable than UT vs OU.  I’d lean on the SF D every time.  Still having nightmares of them vs Dallas.  

edit: assuming it was same scenario. I know there was lot less time in SF game - meaning he needed to kick anyway.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Lol.  If his kicker makes it (like Bert did) the SF defense is just slightttly more reliable than UT vs OU.  I’d lean on the SF D every time.  Still having nightmares of them vs Dallas.  

There was no time left to worry about defense either way. If shanahan had a chance to redo the series, let’s say with some premonition that his kicker shanks it. You think he acts more ballsy and goes for the TD? That’s my point. How often do these guys, in the few seconds they have, get it right? Shanahan is a fucking wizard too, he probably gets it right more than most. Sark according to surly is a game day mongrel, just incapable of adjusting to the game flow. I guess it just surprises me the weird shit we expect of coaches and the program when we know damn well it has a low probability of happening based off history. 

Just now, WinningIsHard said:

There was no time left to worry about defense either way. If shanahan had a chance to redo the series, let’s say with some premonition that his kicker shanks it. You think he acts more ballsy and goes for the TD? That’s my point. How often do these guys, in the few seconds they have, get it right? Shanahan is a fucking wizard too, he probably gets it right more than most. Sark according to surly is a game day mongrel, just incapable of adjusting to the game flow. I guess it just surprises me the weird shit we expect of coaches and the program when we know damn well it has a low probability of happening based off history. 

Yeah I’m betting Shanahan throws it with a hot QB vs OU if he was in charge, but that’s my opinion in this hypothetical scenario.  I also think he’s a much better coach than Sark, but that’s just one man’s opinion.  

23 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yeah I’m betting Shanahan throws it with a hot QB vs OU if he was in charge, but that’s my opinion in this hypothetical scenario.  I also think he’s a much better coach than Sark, but that’s just one man’s opinion.  

Wow, really going out on a limb there lol. 

Edited by Hookem2147

Uh yeah not comparable at all.

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yeah trying not to be a dick to the guy who made the original post.  Could have just laughed at him for comparing the two.  Noted.  

The scenario, I was comparing the scenario. He was left with an option of taking a fg or being aggressive and going for a TD. You can be a dick though, this is surly lol. 

Just now, WinningIsHard said:

The scenario, I was comparing the scenario. He was left with an option of taking a fg or being aggressive and going for a TD. You can be a dick though, this is surly lol. 

I got it, and I played along.  Some other bozo decided even comparing anything between the two is a joke.  This is Surly, serious business.  

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

San Francisco was not playing its only rival in the biggest game of the season- a game that determines every year whether or not a championship will be on the table for the 49ers. Stop trying to justify the unjustifiable. Sarkisian turtled. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

brother anyone GIF

I was ALWAYS worried about Oklahoma, I am every year, because it's a rivalry game.  We gave away 14 point on interceptions, and failed to make a goal line conversion that costs us another 7.  

But if you want to put money down on Steve losing 2 more regular season games?  Refer to GIF. 

6 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Be a dick. He’s a dummy without any testicles. 

He went for it 4 times on 4th down. The mother fucker ran a fake punt two minutes into the first quarter on like our own 30 against our “only rival”. You just don’t like sark, which is fair because he got beat by Kansas lol. 4 plays from the 1 is the most egregious thing from that game, it’s inexcusable. I’m sure in 2005 you nitpicked, somebody could have jerked you off with a velvet glove and you would have bitched about the temperature of the room.  

Fuckin' hell. I don't want to hear any more talk about how much of an offensive genius Sark is.

UH defense's strength is the DL, they're dropping everyone deep into coverage, leaving the short passes open. So what do we do? Call runs right into the line (that work sometimes, but usually get stuffed) and passes that the QB has to call check downs.

Why don't you... I don't know... call short passes and kill them with them until they stop you? They're leaving that open, why not exploit it?

I'm pissed. I'm frustrated. I'm furious. I was never on either the "fire Sark" or "keep Sark" bandwagon but I'm starting to choose a side and it is not the pro-Sark side.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I disassociated myself from the Dallas Cowboys a few years ago when it became clear that Jerry Jones couldn’t manage a franchise effectively to win. 

This game imo is a pivotal moment for the program. I think it’s showing that Sark isn’t the guy, and we may be headed for a dark dark period. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

I disassociated myself from the Dallas Cowboys a few years ago when it became clear that Jerry Jones couldn’t manage a franchise effectively to win. 

This game imo is a pivotal moment for the program. I think it’s showing that Sark isn’t the guy, and we may be headed for a dark dark period. 

Nah.

The NIL machine keeps going. We just need a coach who can take advantage of it.

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Can’t be worse than 2014-2016

35 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

This is dumb. Even if we lost today this team would be 6-2 with a win on the road against a top 10 team. Sark may not ultimately be the guy that gets us over the top but he isn’t leading us into any kind of dark period. Get a fucking grip.

Serious question: Is Sark shaving points?

I mean, we blew two 14-point leads last season, and we almost blew a 21-point lead today.

It's as if he wants to win, but doesn't want to cover, and sometimes it backfires more than he meant it to and we lose.

I'm not sure how else you come out and dominate for 1.5 quarters, then completely stop what was working, this frequently.

Christ, this is some annoying ass shit.

On 10/13/2023 at 11:52 PM, z009 said:

Anyone that was expecting another 49-0 was setting themselves up for disappointment. Anytime you beat a team 49-0, they will likely have you circled on their schedule the next year. Even though we should win if we play OU again, I wouldn't expect it to be a cake-walk at all. It's pretty obvious that they are a much improved team this year. They looked pretty even with us physically, and Gabriel is good enough to keep them in any game. 

Yea like when ou beat us 66-13 or whatever and we followed it up with more losses.

2 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

TH was 6-1 in year 2… we’ll see what happens in the next 5 games and next year in the SEC

Lost to Maryland, beat Tulsa, 5-7 USC, 7-6 TCU, 5-7 Kstate, and 7-6 Baylor. OU was the only solid win. This year has been better.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

Serious question: Is Sark shaving points?

I mean, we blew two 14-point leads last season, and we almost blew a 21-point lead today.

It's as if he wants to win, but doesn't want to cover, and sometimes it backfires more than he meant it to and we lose.

I'm not sure how else you come out and dominate for 1.5 quarters, then completely stop what was working, this frequently.

Christ, this is some annoying ass shit.

We finally got the fast start and he eased up for whatever reason. If we start slow he calls plays with a purpose. It’s just super odd. It’s like he doesn’t take every series with the intent to score, like he thinks “you know we just scored easily so let’s work on some plays that haven’t worked to see if we can get them to work”. Some series are so amazingly executed and set up then the opposite happens for multiple series after that.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Thatguy said:

Lost to Maryland, beat Tulsa, 5-7 USC, 7-6 TCU, 5-7 Kstate, and 7-6 Baylor. OU was the only solid win. This year has been better.

Bama win was solid, but they’re not the same Bama team from the 2010s. Wyoming, Baylor, and Kansas win came agains backup QBs. Like I said, we’ll see. But Sark hasn’t separated himself from TH in play calling and game management at all. I can’t complain about the recruiting though.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Don’t be that guy. Wait, you are ThatGuy. Proceed. 

Not every win is going to be pretty. Houston had a pretty good gameplan, and despite what people here believe they had the answer to our shortcomings. We have not had a great pass rush. Our edge players are just average at that. We also are average on the back end. UH, despite their shortcomings, are solid at the skill positions. On defense they just played prevent, and what they were doing to our interior O-line was causing us problems in the run game. It is what it is. On to the next.

2 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Bama win was solid, but they’re not the same Bama team from the 2010s. Wyoming, Baylor, and Kansas win came agains backup QBs. Like I said, we’ll see. But Sark hasn’t separated himself from TH in play calling and game management at all. I can’t complain about the recruiting though.

Man, Bama is 6-1 with their only loss being to us. I think you aren't giving them enough credit. They aren't what they used to be but they are a very good football team and we beat them in their stadium convincingly. The team came out balls to the wall today and lifted the gas pedal. Happens all the time to the best of them.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Thatguy said:

Man, Bama is 6-1 with their only loss being to us. I think you aren't giving them enough credit. They aren't what they used to be but they are a very good football team and we beat them in their stadium convincingly. The team came out balls to the wall today and lifted the gas pedal. Happens all the time to the best of them.

They’ve grinded out their wins and looked very vulnerable against Arkansas and  A&M. I don’t want to discredit our win, but it makes you wonder how they would’ve fared with a a better OC. I don’t miss TH at all and I’m thankful for Sark’s recruiting. However, Sark playing OC and HC does not seem like a good setup and the team has turtles so many times over the past 3 seasons. The turtles and the wtf calls (fake FG) are what drive the comparison with TH. I hope he can recruit his way beyond this being and issue, and hires an OC. Until then, this will limit us from being a conference championship and CFP level team. 

• Hook 'Em 1