Texas vs houston - 3:00pm on Fox

Pancho

Just now, USNALonghorn said:

Lol, yeah because every running QB = VY. Nobody is fucking saying that. Check your reading comprehension. A running QB is a wrinkle, and even Roethlisberger made some running plays at the NFL level. Running Malik as an extra dimension to our offense, which clearly needs it if QE is gone for the year. It’s not that fucking complicated.

You're a beating. 

You know you're wrong, so now you move the goal posts and try to play the semantic game.  You know that a running QB is different that a QB who runs once in a while.

1 hour ago, Laxtonto said:

We can bitch all we want to about this game, but make no mistake this is a scenario in which last years team would have found a way to lose vs finding a way to win.

Could o, should of, would of been a blowout. Take the win and move on.

I am curious if Ewers got hurt in the 1Q and tried to tough it out until he took the big hit in the 3rd

He was 23-29 and that included missing those last 2 throws.  So he was fine most of the game.

57 minutes ago, immamac said:

Come on man. He had glorified vegetables at qb before then. https://mwolverine.com/Michigan_Quarterbacks.html

Recruiting is part of the job too.

54 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

The last play before the half. He got tee’d up. That was during Sark’s turtle play calling fever Dream. 

That’s actually a pretty good call. I didn’t watch much until midway through the second quarter. Ewers threw nothing but dump offs and short passes the entire second half.

54 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, this was one of the worst days of my life. 
took my dad (who has a tbi and really wanted to go and was exited about it) 

Got stuck in traffic- he shit his pants - I tried to clean him up in the bathroom at the parking garage we got to and there was no garbage can or paper towels, he got the shit from his diaper all over himself and his shorts, refused to go home because he wanted to go to the game- walked around with feces all over his clothes, got him in his seat- went to 4 different shops until I found a pair of sweat shorts, came back up, cleaned him up in the bathroom, threw up, he walked out naked because he got scared I left him in the stall when I said “stay here I need more paper towels”

then we got back to our seats and he said let’s go.  With 6 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. 
the sights and smells and the like will be nightmare fuel (literally) for me that I will dream about for months and years I bet, but the worst part, by far, was seeing him just not get it and not able to handle basics in life or enjoy the game. 
When we pulled into the driveway he told me sorry for ruining your day. I was like dad- you didn’t ruin anything and I love you. Man’s taken me to at least 100 games and he remembers almost none of it. And my poor mom lives this 24/7. 
as bad as I guess we played I’m going to take solace in this not being the shit Sandwhich on top of a truly miserable day finishing with a loss. We are basically in survive and advance mode and although we were terrible it probably doesn’t matter. But, we probably have another loss or two coming our way, especially if Quinn is out. 

Dude. This made me tear up. Puts this in perspective. It was just a football game. That Texas ultimately won.

47 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I disagree.  I'm actually more confident with Maalik than I am with Ewers.  

Ewers is more polished than Murphy, but Murphy has the "it" factor.  Granted it's a small sample size, but going back to the Spring game, the team just seems to play harder with MM in the game.  

I want to see what he’s got. Let him get in and comfortable and go from there. The GW drive was perfection.

45 minutes ago, Helobious said:

lol. Ewers is light years better than MM. 

Well, now I’ve got to see Murphy.

25 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

How many passes of >20 yards did we give up today?

All of them.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, DixonHur said:

You're a beating. 

You know you're wrong, so now you move the goal posts and try to play the semantic game.  You know that a running QB is different that a QB who runs once in a while.

If you’re so “right”, then why the fuck do you keep replying then?

Nobody said Malik is Vince Young. My argument has been that involving him in the run game will produce a benefit that’s worth the risk, due to him being bigger and more durable. If QE is out and we’re stuck with MM, who is a downgrade in the passing game, we will need to enhance our ground game. Involving him in the run game will do so. Once again, not that fucking complicated.

34 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

If this is the best offense Sark can come up with using one of the top passers in the country and two or three strong receivers - against a second tier school, then maybe we need Murphy and a running QB gameplan - either that or a new coach.

What makes you think Murphy is a running qb?

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

As good as our RB are, and were last year, the OL just seems to flop for whole series at a time.  Other times, we seem to impose our will.  Kind of bizarre.  

The "run the damn ball" crowd is foolish.

One of the interesting things is Sark has continued to go to Baxter, even when he apparently wasn't quite right. He saw something there.  For a while, I thought maybe he just needed to give up on that and feed Brooks.

Today, I think it paid off.  Baxter looked damn good and a nice change of pace from Brooks.

Baxter finally looked healthy today. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Baxter averaged 7ypc, Brooks 5. You don't need much more than that to dominate a team on the ground - and we may need to do that if Murphy is a mediocre passer. We could definitely do with a few less delayed handoffs. Sark's play calling looks brilliant at times, but at others, it looks like he's bored and wants to slow it down. Like he did at the end of the OU game.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Bevoette said:

I think he was inches short he turned his back while still moving his legs and we were able to stop him it was so damn fucking  close. Could have gone either way. But when I think about how their guy went out of bounds two yards  short of  the first down marker and it gave him the first down and the time they almost took Quinn's head off by tackling up around the neck and throwing him down, oh and all the fucking holding Houston did.  I call it an ugly win is a win 

On the previous play their TE fell to the 9.  They could have given him that spot.  You couldn't tell for sure if his knee was down from the TV camera angle before he stretched to the 9.  I think it was right at the 10, but if it got called the other way, it might not have been overturned.  That 2nd angle on the next play made it look like the spot was right.

7 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Why are so many people complaining about Ewers play today? JFC this place is fucking weird. Pretty sure he didn't throw 3 pick sixes to let Houston back in it. He played solid, started out great and didn't get much help. His biggest mistake was trying to take on defenders trying to pick up a first down resulting in him getting hurt and yet so many in here want to burn him at the cross. Get a life pussies.

He doesn’t see the field, can’t throw a consistent long ball, and he is a headcase at times.

If you can’t see that, I don’t know what to tell you.

He’s been anointed since he arrived and has never lived up to the hype.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Where’s the OL that protected and blocked so well against Bama?

This OL group has seemed to be feast or famine the whole time they've been here.  They have gotten better but remain subject to huge lapses.  Still, we seem to be able to win games behind them.

The puzzling thing to me is the defense.  Seems like opponents have figured out how to neutralize the front seven, which then exposes the secondary, which was always a weakness.

I'm no football expert, but seems kind of hard to neutralize a front seven like ours, at least the front four, but they are.  Ethan Burke, who was so key at Alabama, seems to have become a non-factor.  Ant Hill, more or less, also.  And Jaylan Ford seems to have fallen off a cliff into obscurity and misplays.

Fucking bizarre.

• Rage+1 2

21 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

I think quite a bit of holding goes uncalled in the SEC. Likewise PI, but I think the real issue is it more even handed. Time will tell, but I'm optimistic that calls will be more even handed. I certainly don't expect it to be worse than the Rig 12. Likewise, SEC reffed games seem to flow better. That in itself should be a huge improvement.

SEC rarely calls holding on running plays, but they will sometimes on passing plays.

They rarely call late hits.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

He doesn’t see the field, can’t throw a consistent long ball, and he is a headcase at times.

If you can’t see that, I don’t know what to tell you.

He’s been anointed since he arrived and has never lived up to the hype.

I must be hovering over the target with you.

6 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

Against teams like Houston we shouldn’t be doing gimmick plays.  Just run pass and kick fgs when we don’t score a td 

May I interest you in fades and 15-yard pass attempts on 3rd/4th and short?  They worked in practice against our shitty secondary. - Sark

Edited by OU Sucks

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

This OL group has seemed to be feast or famine the whole time they've been here.  They have gotten better but remain subject to huge lapses.  Still, we seem to be able to win games behind them.

The puzzling thing to me is the defense.  Seems like opponents have figured out how to neutralize the front seven, which then exposes the secondary, which was always a weakness.

I'm no football expert, but seems kind of hard to neutralize a front seven like ours, at least the front four, but they are.  Ethan Burke, who was so key at Alabama, seems to have become a non-factor.  Ant Hill, more or less, also.  And Jaylan Ford seems to have fallen off a cliff into obscurity and misplays.

Fucking bizarre.

Seems like to me that they know that we can stop most anyone running the ball but everything other than d line and lb’s pretty much sucks. Teams willing to get in a track meet will just pass until we can prove we can stop them. 

1 minute ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I didn't know anything about Murphy, although he looks pretty durable. Now I see that his HS running stats suck. And, as a passer, if he's only 80% as good as Ewers then we are fucked - unless something else changes.

He's a pocket passer first. Not very mobile. That doesn't mean he can't run at all, but he is in no way a VY. He might be better in a QB sneak situation assuming the OL gets some push. Unless a QB is just a statue, I personally think they should all "take yards that are there" when it makes sense to do so and be sensible in how many they try to take vs giving themselves up. Likewise, some timely and judicious designed runs or draw plays can be useful, IMO. Nothing like Herman would do though. Just my opinion. We'll see what happens.

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Based on Sark suddenly committing to a run heavy offense instead of constant playaction because he didn’t trust Malik to throw.   And based on Murphy and Ewers coming here at the same time, and Ewers always being the starter while Murphy was 3rd string and then 2nd string.

If you really want to stretch for a glass half full spin, it might be that we would be better when Sark has to take his running game seriously instead of just thinking about how it sets up his next playaction pass.  So, maybe we get some inadvertent benefit. 

If Sark has a hint of MackBrownitis, I could see him playing Quinn if both practiced equally purely because of the NIL/name recognition/big dollar component same as the Simms/Applewhite debacle. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Based on Sark suddenly committing to a run heavy offense instead of constant playaction because he didn’t trust Malik to throw.   And based on Murphy and Ewers coming here at the same time, and Ewers always being the starter while Murphy was 3rd string and then 2nd string.

If you really want to stretch for a glass half full spin, it might be that we would be better when Sark has to take his running game seriously instead of just thinking about how it sets up his next playaction pass.  So, maybe we get some inadvertent benefit. 

Well said. This looks like Sark's big challenge. Will he rise to meet it, or just start hitting the bottle?

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Lol.  Maalik found out he was going in like 5 minutes before, and we were picking up 8 yards per run.

Give the man a week of prep and the knowledge that he's starting.  If he sucks we can try Manning, but some of you are giving up on him already.

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, D3zii said:

At this point the way we’re playing it doesn’t even matter. We’re not that good, if we don’t bring our A game we can lose at home or on the road 

Ohhh no shit? Let me think about who that describes…oh every team that’s ever been assembled? How many undefeated teams have we seen in the last 23 years? 9 or 10? You act like we aren’t 6-1. Take. The. Win. Pussy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, bullet said:

He was 23-29 and that included missing those last 2 throws.  So he was fine most of the game.

I believe he was 19-22 when he took the hit.

So 4-7 after, which still isn't bad but you could tell he wasn't carrying himself the same way.

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Why are so many people complaining about Ewers play today? JFC this place is fucking weird. Pretty sure he didn't throw 3 pick sixes to let Houston back in it. He played solid, started out great and didn't get much help. His biggest mistake was trying to take on defenders trying to pick up a first down resulting in him getting hurt and yet so many in here want to burn him at the cross. Get a life pussies.

Not sure how anyone can objectively think he played solid. Most of his completions were checkdowns within 2 yards of the LOS or behind it. He has shit for pocket awareness- he either checks down say too quick or takes a killer sack.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Not sure how anyone can objectively think he played solid. Most of his completions were checkdowns within 2 yards of the LOS or behind it. He has shit for pocket awareness- he either checks down say too quick or takes a killer sack.

I suppose he should have thrown into coverage and risk turnovers huh? Credit Houston, they changed up their defense and we struggled to run the ball effectively for a large portion of the game. Statistically he was solid. Hard to deny that but you do you.

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

This OL group has seemed to be feast or famine the whole time they've been here. 

I think the OL is hit or miss in pass pro but think they've developed into a pretty damn salty run-blocking group. 

I thought there were big holes today (again) and even though Brooks averaged 5 yards a carry this wasn't one of his best games. There were a few runs he missed a hole or hesitated a bit. 

10 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I suppose he should have thrown into coverage and risk turnovers huh? Credit Houston, they changed up their defense and we struggled to run the ball effectively for a large portion of the game. Statistically he was solid. Hard to deny that but you do you.

Watch the game bc and don’t just look at his statistics.

1 hour ago, naija said:

It's prime fanboy fantasy to start talking about Malik and "it" factor. 

“Childs should start!!!”

47 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Fucking bizarre.

Poor coaching. We’ve seen this story before.

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It is. He’s like an autistic 4 year old as my brother describes it. Imagine being married to someone for 42 years and then being your life partner and then just when retirement hits that’s what your life now is.  My poor mom.  Tbi=‘s tramatic brain injury. It’s awful. I don’t think there’s anything more sad than seeing a person that doesn’t have their mind and memories and the like. 

Parkinson’s for us, but same exact deal.  I’m sorry. 

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

It turns out Alabama has a shitty OL, as hard as it is to believe.   They’re among the worst in the country in sacks allowed, and they aren’t that great running the ball even with a 4.4 QB.  Our DTs can stuff the run well, but the pass rush against Bama was fools gold.

I guess that's it, so too Wyoming, Rice, Baylor, and KU, because the D was looking like it had really turned the corner after getting the right personnel in the right places.

Still, I haven't had a lot of confidence in our secondary at all, and that's been shown to be correct.  Although we've been operating with some pretty significant injuries.  I didn't realize Barron was out today until the second half. I knew Watts was dubious and he's just one guy, but one decent CB can help a lot.  I knew Catalon was banged up, but didn't know he was out, too, although he's not much of a weapon against the pass.

Edited by TwiceHorn

40 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Ohhh no shit? Let me think about who that describes…oh every team that’s ever been assembled? How many undefeated teams have we seen in the last 23 years? 9 or 10? You act like we aren’t 6-1. Take. The. Win. Pussy. 

Why dnt u read the comment I was referring before coming at me. 

thank you have a good day 😁

• Hook 'Em 1