Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

32 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

Lulz.  You think Kate is going to sit back and allow JV to tutelage Brown for the entire offseason?

Yeah, they won't see each other or speak again until spring training 

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, WBT said:

I wonder what trade value Peña has.  We'd then need to find a stopgap until Matthews is ready.

Our bench also needs to get better.  I don't know if that's spending more or just doing a better job on waiver picks or what.

No more dumpster diving in the waiver wire. Let’s sign some actual major leaguers this off-season.

Peña’s OK if he’s your 9th best hitter.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, WBT said:

I wonder what trade value Peña has.  We'd then need to find a stopgap until Matthews is ready.

Our bench also needs to get better.  I don't know if that's spending more or just doing a better job on waiver picks or what.

That could be awhile.  Matthews didn't do so great in A ball after he was drafted.

• Hook 'Em 1

Pena is a second year player, he has shown flashes of excellence and won the WS MVP last year.  And we're trying to pull the plug on a sophomore slump where he was a 3.8 WAR player????  

You always listen to offers out there, but under no circumstances should we be soliciting them.  

Offseason is
A starting LF - Lourdes would be awesome.  
Bench enhancements - I'm fine with Brantley coming back as our last guy/second to last guy on the bench.  He proved he could still play to me.  Not sure if he can do that over an entire year though, so bench is the best I'd be willing to offer.  Crane has made way too much money to have Grae/Singleton on the bench in the playoffs.
Relief pitching - 2 arms, 1 a lefty, not because LOOGYs have ever been great, but just to have another look
Starting Pitching - 1 guy in the 3/4 starter mold.  Or go back in time and get Eovaldi which still pisses me off that we didn't do last year.
Farm System - Figure out ways to bolster.  Going to have to double down on international to achieve this fast.

Edited by uoftorange
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

The Rangers spent almost a billion dollars to beat us, and it took them to Game 7, and we still won the division.  Time to spend that money Jimmy.  If we don't even try to talk to Shohei I might join some of you in being a smidge upset with Crane.  We won't get him, but we should go all out trying.  

Lourdes would be great, but he's going to want a long term deal and we have OF in the farm. I just don't see the Astros doing that, but it would be cool if they did. 

I would like Brantley to walk because of injury concerns. JD Martinez would be good here, but that puts Yordan in LF most of the time. 

I think we should open the wallet for Nola, Snell, or Gray. We land one of these, it all but guarantees we're back in the playoffs. 

In the BP, Hader would be great and hopefully Neris comes back too. 

• Hook 'Em 5

45 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Yes, go spend the rest of your time with your grandkids and your hunting dogs. 

Yes Dusty I hear there might be a opening for a manager in Visalia next spring. Go where ever just not Houston, last nights management was awful and shows why Dusty has never won a game 7.

8 hours ago, chitown bevo said:

Absolutely....Lance McInjured Jr, has to go to first team offering a decent trade, constantly hurt and unreliable. Hope the GM can earn his money and find another starter.

This. Cannot count on this dude. Hasn’t pitched in like two years, always hurt. 
Move on. 

4 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

This. Cannot count on this dude. Hasn’t pitched in like two years, always hurt. 
Move on. 

Not really possible to move on.  He doesn't harm the team being on it if he does figure it out.  And you're in the same spot if he doesn't.  You simply have to think of his contract (which insurance has paid for a few seasons anyway) as a sunk cost and think of him like a kid coming up hoping to make the team.  But he's a 40 man guy, and going to be for at least the next two years.  Maybe year 3 we would designate if we had too.  No way that happens prior.  Maybe you get lucky and someone trades a bag of balls for him, but we'd have to pay most of his contract so what's the point?

Edited by uoftorange
  • Hook 'Em 2

Lance McInjured Jr, needs to be assigned to AAA until further notice, he can light up it there and then get injured like always, no need to keep him on the big league roster, he is unreliable at best and constantly hurt, it has to be a drain on the team for as long as its gone on. Its too bad he is signed already, too bad there is not a way to get him off the payroll. He is constantly hurt, how does he even pass the physical ?

I wanted to trade for Gurriel before he was sent to Arizona last offseason so I am all for trying to sign him.  

Mashitty needs to GTFO.  I don't want him as backup, I don't want him as bench dude, I don't want him around.  

What I wanted for manager cannot happen now.  I was hoping once Dusty left we could get Bochy to come out of retirement and continue on.  Unfortunately Dusty didn't fucking  leave when he should have so that is fucked.  Makes it worse we just got beat by the dude that I wanted to replace the guy we had.  

I don't want Espada.  Never have and never will.  Y'all can all go die on that hill without me.  

Pena is trash at the plate and pretty much has been the whole time except last years playoffs (which helped win us a WS).  I am good with his defense, but cannot stand his batting approach so hopefully they fuck with him this spring training.  Realistically we have no better option.  

Astros demise is still severely overrated.  We will be back next year doing what we do regardless who is at the helm.  Altuve, Bregman, Yordan, Tucker, Abreu, Pena, Diaz, Chas and a new LF is still pretty fucking stout.  Pitching will take a little more work to figure out.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, texashorne said:

Lourdes would be great, but he's going to want a long term deal and we have OF in the farm. I just don't see the Astros doing that, but it would be cool if they did. 

I would like Brantley to walk because of injury concerns. JD Martinez would be good here, but that puts Yordan in LF most of the time. 

I just reviewed the mlb pending free agents on the position player side, woof.*

I don’t think we need to worry about anyone on the farm being blocked by a free agent signing.  The upper minors are terrible, for one, and any talent we do have is rawer than a title contending team can afford to mature at the mlb level.  

I also don’t think we need a DH who can’t play the field-I’d rather preserve the flexibility that rotating that spot provides, particularly since Yordan is injury prone and we have an old 1B who just had his worst season.  

*on the bright side, it looks like upgrading from Peña will be hard, better to devote that energy elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

We seem to play better after we lose the alcs/WS and have a chip on our shoulder. I wanna see that continue and not this “we’re Houston” bullshit.

That was such a laughable comment coming from Dubon.  I can't imagine any of the guys that earned that track record saying that.

2 hours ago, uoftorange said:

What the fuck is going on in this thread.  There are narratives out there that just aren't true.  He was a better player over the second half than the first half.  Just was bad again in the playoffs. Yes his power went away, but he was much more reliable, his BA, OBP, BA/BIP, and OPS were up in the second half.  It was really good in August, then pretty good in Sept/Oct, but he was a way better overall player too.  Guy just had a 3.8 WAR season in an "okay" year.  Pena is awesome if he's your worst problem.  Unfortunately Dusty created problems that didn't need to exist in Meyers/Maldonado/Singleton etc.  

Do you think his .357 BABIP from the ASG on is sustainable?  2022 BABIP = .298, 1st Half 2023 BABIP = .293, 2nd Half 2023 BABIP = .357.  You tell us which one is the outlier.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

A lot them played like it that’s for sure.

And I still can’t believe Javier shit the bed that bad that quick. Fucking unbelievable 

I didnt get to watch the first inning, listened on radio but was his control off or were the rangers just hitting everything? If the latter was he tipping his pitches? The way it sounded on the radio it seemed like they saw something

I just laugh at you guys on Pena. He had the same oWAR this year as he did last year. He's a GG defender that is under team control for 4 more seasons. In two seasons, he has produced 8.7 WAR. This past season he was the 48th(10th fulltime SS) position player overall in WAR. He had a shitty post-season, but was better than Tucker.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, chitown bevo said:

Lance McInjured Jr, needs to be assigned to AAA until further notice, he can light up it there and then get injured like always, no need to keep him on the big league roster, he is unreliable at best and constantly hurt, it has to be a drain on the team for as long as its gone on. Its too bad he is signed already, too bad there is not a way to get him off the payroll. He is constantly hurt, how does he even pass the physical ?

Please do some research on 40-man rosters and minor league options for veteran players before spouting off ignorant takes.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Do you think his .357 BABIP from the ASG on is sustainable?  2022 BABIP = .298, 1st Half 2023 BABIP = .293, 2nd Half 2023 BABIP = .357.  You tell us which one is the outlier.

His walk rate improved and his K rate declined. Those are much more important than BABip.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, chitown bevo said:

Yes Dusty I hear there might be a opening for a manager in Visalia next spring. Go where ever just not Houston, last nights management was awful and shows why Dusty has never won a game 7.

What should Dusty have done differently last night that would have made up a 7-run deficit?  That was a team effort from the pitchers and everyone not named Altuve, Bregman, J Abreu and Alvarez to get pantsed that bad.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

His walk rate improved and his K rate declined. Those are much more important than BABip.

Oh, I'm in the camp that we definitely don't want to get rid of him at this point, but by end of next year we should have a better idea of what he's going to do long-term.  I also wonder if he didn't bulk up too much last offseason.  Sometimes guys get too swole and it restricts flexibility in ways that hurt overall performance.  It will be interesting to see how he looks when ST starts.

9 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

What should Dusty have done differently last night that would have made up a 7-run deficit?  That was a team effort from the pitchers and everyone not named Altuve, Bregman, J Abreu and Alvarez to get pantsed that bad.

for one he should have pinch hit for Maldanado with runner on. Instead for some unknown reason Dusty decides to pinch hit for him in the lead off spot two innings later. Also with game 7 on the line was JP France the best option ? No sense or urgency from Dusty explains why he has never won a game 7.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Please do some research on 40-man rosters and minor league options for veteran players before spouting off ignorant takes.

Understood....comment is out of frustration after last night and the fact that there are no real options to dispose of McInjured. Just tired of seeing the name on the roster.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Okay my 2024 Roster

C Diaz 

1B Abreu 

2B Altuve

SS Pena 

3B Bregman

LF Alvarez 

CF Trout 

RF Gurriel

DH Brantley (amongst others) 1 year 6 mil 

SP JV, Fram, Brown, Javi, LMJ/Garcia/France/Jack Flaherty (3/16)

RP Abreu closer Press setup 

Trout? haha are you being serious or joking? I can’t tell with half you glorious clowns. And I mean that in a good way. I love all you guys. Support meeting is at 12. 

1 minute ago, chitown bevo said:

Understood....comment is out of frustration after last night and the fact that there are no real options to dispose of McInjured. Just tired of seeing the name on the roster.

Maybe he comes back and pulls a Charlie Morton. 

9 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

My interview for manager would start with 1 question:

Player A has an OPS of 846 and Player b has an OPS of 606. Who’s your starter?

Let’s get even more specific. Player A is in the conversation for best hitting catcher in baseball. Player B is in the conversation for  the worst-hitting everyday player in 150 years of professional baseball. And I know what you might be wondering, but A is better defensively too.

Who’s your starter?

• Rage+1 3