Week 9, 2023: Kansas State @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

4 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

So you think the only lroom chains get stolen from is Deion's or maybe they are the only ones with a video guy following the team around catching that sort of candid dialogue? Hmm

Oh I actually don’t care at all about the subject that you brought in here for some reason I was just making a joke. 

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

All these conservative short passes. It's like we have GDGD all over again. 

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

We just need to have our best, most fastest player sitting on the sideline.

Clemson (-12.5) at Duke, 7:00 on ESPN - Page 7 - Football - Surly Horns

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

3 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

To Sark's credit he did mix in a lot of 2 RBs sets and even some diamond formation to get some misdirection in the run game going for Maalik. 

5 hours ago, Codaxx said:

1st 2 plays of  games this year.. Can you find a pattern? 

RICE
1st and 10 at TEX25 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass complete short right to Whittington,Jordan for 7 yards to the TEX32 (Williams,Marcus; Wyatt,Plae).
2nd and 3 at TEX32 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass complete short left to Worthy,Xavier for 0 yards to the TEX32 (Taylor,Gabriel).
  BAMA
1st and 10 at TEX25 (15:00) No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass complete short left to Baxter,CJ for 11 yards to the TEX36 (Key,Jaylen), 1ST DOWN.
1st and 10 at TEX36 (14:30) No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass complete short right to Worthy,Xavier for 2 yards to the TEX38 (Marshall,Trezmen; Downs,Caleb).

Wyoming
TEX35 PENALTY TEX False Start (Conner,Hayden) 5 yards from TEX35 to TEX30. NO PLAY.
1st and 15 at TEX30 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass incomplete short middle to Worthy,Xavier broken up by Davis,Tyrecus .
2nd and 15 at TEX30 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass incomplete short left to Mitchell,Adonai.
  BAYLOR
st and 10 at TEX42 Texas drive start at 12:47.
1st and 10 at TEX42 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass complete short right to Worthy,Xavier for 5 yards loss to the UT37 (Jenkins,Caden).
2nd and 15 at TEX37 No Huddle-Shotgun Brooks,Jonathon rush middle for 5 yards gain to the UT42 (Smith Jr.,Mike; Lanz,Cooper).
  Kansas
1st and 10 at TEX12 Texas drive start at 12:51.
1st and 10 at TEX12 No Huddle-Shotgun Brooks,Jonathon rush middle for 8 yards gain to the TEX20 (Young,Craig).
2nd and 2 at TEX20 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass complete short middle to Mitchell,Adonai for 12 yards to the TEX32 (Dotson,Ra'Mello), 1ST DOWN.
  OU
1st and 10 at TEX19 Texas drive start at 14:53.
1st and 10 at TEX19 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass complete short left to Worthy,Xavier for 2 yards loss to the TEX17 (Washington,Woodi).
2nd and 12 at TEX17 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass intercepted by Williams,Gentry at TEX22, End Of Play.
  Houston
1st and 10 at UT`25 Texas drive start at 15:00.
1st and 10 at UT`25 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass complete short right to Worthy,Xavier for 10 yards to the UT35 (George,Brian), out of bounds, 1ST DOWN.
1st and 10 at UT`35 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass complete short middle to Helm,Gunnar for 6 yards to the UT41 (Haulcy,A.J.).

BYU

1st and 10 at TEX25 Texas drive start at 15:00.
1st and 10 at TEX25 No Huddle-Shotgun Murphy,Maalik pass complete short right to Sanders,Ja'Tavion for 2 yards loss to the TEX23 (Wakley,Crew).
2nd and 12 at TEX23 No Huddle-Shotgun Murphy,Maalik pass complete short middle to Mitchell,Adonai for 16 yards to the TEX39 (Slade,Ethan), 1ST DOWN.

Definitely shows a tendency.  Also shows some decent yardage every now and then.  Probably most dependent on the block.

5 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Sark, being a former QB, understands that QBs like to make a couple "doesn't matter yet" throws to get going before you ask them to make the "gotta have it throws". Now if he could just understand that big fat dudes can't make it to pull and kick out the DE, when the DE is coming off the edge closest to the QB. Sark is going to get Maalik killed. Scrap that stupid play Sark.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

If he was on Texas he would be PFF's 8th highest graded DL on the team.  Here are the Texas and K St DL grades:

image.thumb.png.952b41202bdb93301a49b0ef26461012.png

Problem is, we have seen plenty of guys ranked under where this dude is ranked, come in here and cause problems at nose. I am not arguing that dude is good. I am arguing that our IOL has been the one sore spot on this team thus far. I don't think people understand. I honestly think we would roll over Georgia with our current team if we just had a better IOL and a healthy QE. Everything we can't do offensively is because of them.

18 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Sark, being a former QB, understands that QBs like to make a couple "doesn't matter yet" throws to get going before you ask them to make the "gotta have it throws". Now if he could just understand that big fat dudes can't make it to pull and kick out the DE, when the DE is coming off the edge closest to the QB. Sark is going to get Maalik killed. Scrap that stupid play Sark.

Seen Sark run that a few times. You saw it work well vs OSU last year. Bijan picked up the DE and it was an easy TD. Last weekend Brooks and Conner blocked each other better than they did the DE. 

He could run it like he did at Bama (at the 1:35 mark)

Texas last year vs this year

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Vertuzzi said:

Maybe Sark will let Savion Red throw out of the wildcat in the red zone.  

Only if the read is wide ass open. Last thing you want is a 5'9-5'10 guy without college QB experience throwing passes into smallish windows in the redzone. Recipe for huge momentum swings. 

I think adding some misdirection or spreading the formation out would help give him fewer people to run through for paydirt. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Only if the read is wide ass open. Last thing you want is a 5'9-5'10 guy without college QB experience throwing passes into smallish windows in the redzone. Recipe for huge momentum swings. 

I think adding some misdirection or spreading the formation out would help give him fewer people to run through for paydirt. 

If you are a masochist, you will enjoy watching those Bama highlights. Sark is dialing up some beautiful designed plays in the red zone. 

Edited by Codaxx

6 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Sure, I’m just saying it’s a predictable play call when he takes a snap. Wouldn’t mind trying out a jump pass. 

Just now, Codaxx said:

If you are a masochist, you will enjoy watching those Bama highlights. Sark is dialing up some beautiful designed plays in the red zone. 

I've been waiting to see more of the orbit motion with Worthy like he did with Smith and Waddle at Bama, he did it this past Saturday, but it feels like there is a ton of meat left on that bone.

We aren't nearly as talented, skilled, or experienced as those Sark Bama teams though, I've been checking out some of the 2014 USC stuff with Cody Kessler, Buck Allen, JuJu and Agholor to get a better feel for how things could/should look with average-above average Texas talent/experience.

Klieman (pronounced KLY-men) has won five conference championships and three national championships in five seasons as the head coach at North Dakota State, and he currently has the Bison in the FCS Semifinals with a perfect 13-0 record prior to taking on South Dakota State in Fargo on Friday night.

Klieman has done all this despite losing 23 seniors and welcoming seven new assistant coaches prior to his first season at NDSU in 2014. That season, the Bison went 15-1 and won the national championship before going 13-2 with another national championship in 2015, 12-2 with a semifinal appearance in 2014 and 14-1 with a third national title last season.

“I’m very excited to have Chris Klieman lead our program,” Taylor said. “He is a perfect fit for us, both from a personal standpoint and as a head coach. He’s a tremendous teacher who I had the pleasure to hire at NDSU and watched him turn into a very successful coach. He will bring a ton of energy and excitement. His teams play extremely hard, disciplined football. He’s a winner. That’s all he does is win, and we’re excited to have Chris, Rhonda and the entire Klieman family join our K-State family. They will be a great fit not only for Kansas State Football and Kansas State Athletics, but also the entire community of Manhattan.”
***********************************************************************************************************************

This guy can coach….like Snyder before him, he gets 110% out of his players and seems to always have a 5-yr senior at QB.  We need to prepare like we did for Bama, play hard, make no mistakes, and have a vocal crowd.  Sark and this team needs to be mean and nasty and focused.

30 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I went to find these incredible plays and saw mostly the same plays I see us run only executed better. Not sure if that was the point or not, but it is fun to watch his plays be executed to near perfection.

39 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Klieman (pronounced KLY-men) has won five conference championships and three national championships in five seasons as the head coach at North Dakota State, and he currently has the Bison in the FCS Semifinals with a perfect 13-0 record prior to taking on South Dakota State in Fargo on Friday night.

Klieman has done all this despite losing 23 seniors and welcoming seven new assistant coaches prior to his first season at NDSU in 2014. That season, the Bison went 15-1 and won the national championship before going 13-2 with another national championship in 2015, 12-2 with a semifinal appearance in 2014 and 14-1 with a third national title last season.

“I’m very excited to have Chris Klieman lead our program,” Taylor said. “He is a perfect fit for us, both from a personal standpoint and as a head coach. He’s a tremendous teacher who I had the pleasure to hire at NDSU and watched him turn into a very successful coach. He will bring a ton of energy and excitement. His teams play extremely hard, disciplined football. He’s a winner. That’s all he does is win, and we’re excited to have Chris, Rhonda and the entire Klieman family join our K-State family. They will be a great fit not only for Kansas State Football and Kansas State Athletics, but also the entire community of Manhattan.”
***********************************************************************************************************************

This guy can coach….like Snyder before him, he gets 110% out of his players and seems to always have a 5-yr senior at QB.  We need to prepare like we did for Bama, play hard, make no mistakes, and have a vocal crowd.  Sark and this team needs to be mean and nasty and focused.

I mean, we've all seen him the other four times Texas has played and beaten him.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, hook me said:

I went to find these incredible plays and saw mostly the same plays I see us run only executed better. Not sure if that was the point or not, but it is fun to watch his plays be executed to near perfection.

1:35, is a variation of the the fumble play with simpler blocking (which I like better)

3:23, I dont think I have seen this at Texas (not redzone)

5:00. I think this play is great for Worthy. I dont think I have seen it at Texas. 

7:53- Texas has run this. Not enough though. 

8:22- this fake swing pass is very nice.. (not redzone). Great play to use Worthy as a decoy. 

His use of Smith in this game is excellent. I think highlighting Worthy similarly could really help. His use of Smith (mostly) in motion was great. I think Worhty would be very good in a lot of these concepts. Just threatening the defense with orbit motion to Worthy will tighten the sphincter of most DCs. Just thinking of things like having Worthy and Mitchell stacked, orbit Worthy to other side, threaten the screen, and based on the defensive reaction you have Worthy with a race to the pylon or Mitchelll 1 on 1 on the backside. 

Edited by Codaxx

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

1:35, is a variation of the the fumble play with simpler blocking (which I like better)

5:00. I think this play is great for Worthy. I dont think I have seen it at Texas. 

8:22- this fake swing pass is very nice.. (not redzone). Great play to use Worthy as a decoy. 

His use of Smith in this game is excellent. I think highlighting Worthy similarly could really help. His use of Smith (mostly) in motion was great. I think Worhty would be very good in a lot of these concepts. Just threatening the defense with orbit motion to Worthy will tighten the sphincter of most DCs. Just thinking of things like having Worthy and Mitchell stacked, orbit Worthy to other side, threaten the screen, and based on the defensive reaction you have Worthy with a race to the pylon or Mitchelll 1 on 1 on the backside. 

Is your argument that you haven't seen these EXACT plays out of these EXACT formations? If so, I'd say that a lot of that depends on defensive tendencies & offensive strengths. 

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

We ran 3:23 in year one. Trying to remember vs who.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ted Dantzler said:

Did you know that Kansas State has as many Big12 football Titles as Texas?

Wow, crazy stat when you compare the relative prestige of the hayseed school on the plains to ultra elite rich good smelling smart Texas school.

I did not, but thank you for the kick to the nuts.. really appreciate that

12 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I have friends visiting from the Northeast who are crazy college football fans and are attending the K-State game. They would like to join a tailgate. Any suggestions on a good one they can pay and attend? Thanks. 

• Hook 'Em 1