THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

16 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Thanks, I wont have to watch that game now. In fact, we should just call Oregon State and tell them that Bill from Lake Travis said they are definitely gonna lose so there is no point in even showing up for the game. 

Dude, calm down. Oregon is playing really well right now. Anything can happen, but I don’t have confidence in Oregon State shutting Nix down. 

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Thanks, I wont have to watch that game now. In fact, we should just call Oregon State and tell them that Bill from Lake Travis said they are definitely gonna lose so there is no point in even showing up for the game. 

You’re really taking the immaturity in this thread to a new level. Calm the fuck down. It is more likely than not Oregon beats the shit out of Oregon State. There is nothing there to get angry over. 

Point of parliamentary procedure 

Why is Oregon ranked ahead of us? They put up numbers against shitty teams, which we don’t, I get it. But they barely beat Tech. Their big win is against Utah? USC? Both are average. They have a quality loss. That’s their big selling point?

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Neonmoon said:

Why is Oregon ranked ahead of us? They put up numbers against shitty teams, which we don’t, I get it. But they barely beat Tech. Their big win is against Utah? USC? Both are average. They have a quality loss. That’s their big selling point?

Not only that, every sports media member likes Oregon more than Washington.

People get a hard on for blowout wins.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Bc they have the likely Heisman winner and they score a ton. 

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Playoff scenarios that would almost certainly put Texas in the playoff:

1) Florida State loses to either Florida/Louisville (ACC misses playoff) 

2) Arizona beats Washington and Oregon loses to OSU next week (PAC misses playoff) 

Scenarios where the committee will determine our fate:

3) Bama beats Georgia, Texas gets the nod over a 1 loss Pac 12 Champ Oregon by virtue of a H2H road win against the SEC champ (PAC misses playoff)

4) Bama beats Georgia, Texas gets the nod over Bama by virtue of a H2H road win (assuming Washington wins out, SEC misses the playoff)

SEC misses playoff:

5) Georgia loses to Bama and Bama loses to Auburn prior to that result (SEC misses playoff)

Big 10 misses playoffs scenario:

6) Ohio St/Mich winner loses the Big 10 champ game to Iowa (lol) (Big 10 misses playoff)

There are still a lot of paths but none as likely and stress free as path #1. I do not want to rely on the committee to pick us in situation #3 or #4. Although I think situation #3 is most likely to break our way. 

46 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

And for the reasons he outlined above, Oregon will be left out if there are three 1 loss teams in Bama, Texas, and Oregon. 

You’ve really convinced yourself of all this… 

Why is Oregon currently ahead in the rankings, based on your logic?

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

From what it seems like, everyone just loves Oregon and thinks they’d skullfuck anyone except Georgia or MIchigan. From what I’ve been hearing from analysts and media, it’s just “they look damn good” and that’s really their argument. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, troph said:

FSU loses I don’t think it matters. I also don’t think UGA can over come recent loss, to a team Texas beat on the road, and conference champion Texas vs not conference champion Georgia. To put them in ahead of Texas flies in the face of head to head, conference championships and recency. 

Conference championships mean much less than the committee says. Look at last year. This year is different of course with better options on the table. The Committee will not choose Texas over a 2 time defending national champ with 22 straight victories if it loses a close game in the SEC CCG. It just isn’t. 

The SEC has never been this bad before. They are barely above the ACC this year.  Both teams also avoided the better cross-division teams. Bama's SoS, even figuring the UGA game is in the bottom half (near bottom of P5).  UGA's might as well be a C-USA schedule.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Jewish Wang said:

Conference championships mean much less than the committee says. Look at last year. This year is different of course with better options on the table. The Committee will not choose Texas over a 2 time defending national champ with 22 straight victories if it loses a close game in the SEC CCG. It just isn’t. 

They arent taking a 1 loss Georgia with no conf championship, a shit SOS, and a loss to a team Texas beat over a 1 loss big 12 champ Texas. You are delusional. Stop infecting the forum with this bullshit.  

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, mwaadeeb said:

I used to think this too. But if SOS and Head to Head are as important as stated above, explain this "no brainer."

We have both over Bama, no?

I don’t know and would question that seriously after they play Georgia. But Bama looks like a totally different team now and if they win the SEC, they’re definitely ahead of us. I don’t want it to happen, but it absolutely will. 

4 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

They arent taking a 1 loss Georgia with no conf championship, a shit SOS, and a loss to a team Texas beat over a 1 loss big 12 champ Texas. You are delusional. Stop infecting the forum with this bullshit.  

I think the scenario is far fetched but under the right parameters, I’d absolutely bet you. You can call me delusional all you want, but anyone that isn’t a biased Texas fan openly discusses this probable outcome. 

• Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, Jewish Wang said:

I think the scenario is far fetched but under the right parameters, I’d absolutely bet you. You can call me delusional all you want, but anyone that isn’t a biased Texas fan openly discusses this probable outcome. 

I will bet you right here, right now, name your price. I dont care if Bama and Georgia go 100 overtimes in the game of the century and we win both our games by 1 on flukes. They wont take a 1 loss Georgia over a 1 loss Texas if the question is there to be had. 

14 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

You’ve really convinced yourself of all this… 

Why is Oregon currently ahead in the rankings, based on your logic?

Well, I’m not sure they should be, but regardless, Texas’ resume gets better if the bama win is over the 1 loss SEC champ that is a top 5 team. Right now it’s a win over the 2nd best SEC team that’s in the top 10. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Jewish Wang said:

I don’t know and would question that seriously after they play Georgia. But Bama looks like a totally different team now and if they win the SEC, they’re definitely ahead of us. I don’t want it to happen, but it absolutely will. 

So you're on the committee and tasked with defending one loss Alabama and the other guy one loss Texas. He says we beat you on the road and have strong SOS, and you say "SEC?"

Or you're defending one loss Georgia who didn't win their conference, against Texas who beat your conference champion and have strong SOS, and you say "SEC?"

That's it?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Well, I’m not sure they should be, but regardless, Texas’ resume gets better if the bama win is over the 1 loss SEC champ that is a top 5 team. Right now it’s a win over the 2nd best SEC team that’s in the top 10. 

It doesn’t matter what we think, it’s what the committee obviously thinks, and right now they think Oregon is better. If they finish with one loss, it’s because they beat a #4 Washington. I feel like we’re the ones injecting emotion into this. Texas hasn’t looked like dominant enough to jump anyone who doesn’t lose going forward. Hell, I’d argue Alabama looks much better.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

It doesn’t matter what we think, it’s what the committee obviously thinks, and right now they think Oregon is better. If they finish with one loss, it’s because they beat a #4 Washington. I feel like we’re the ones injecting emotion into this. Texas hasn’t looked like dominant enough to jump anyone who doesn’t lose going forward. Hell, I’d argue Alabama looks much better.

The Office Thank You GIF

The only people injecting emotion (and not thinking rationally) are those who are “guaranteeing” Texas into the CFP if we do X. 

18 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

So you're on the committee and tasked with defending one loss Alabama and the other guy one loss Texas. He says we beat you on the road and have strong SOS, and you say "SEC?"

Or you're defending one loss Georgia who didn't win their conference, against Texas who beat your conference champion and have strong SOS, and you say "SEC?"

That's it?

Once again, yes, the committee can come out and say “Alabama/Georgia just looks better than Texas right now” to justify putting them in. Yes, they can 100% do that. That is something you can’t just ignore.

• Drool 1

30 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I will bet you right here, right now, name your price. I dont care if Bama and Georgia go 100 overtimes in the game of the century and we win both our games by 1 on flukes. They wont take a 1 loss Georgia over a 1 loss Texas if the question is there to be had. 

$100 if UGA keeps it within 3 points. 

20 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

That's it?

Yes. This is the way the world works. 

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

The Office Thank You GIF

The only people injecting emotion (and not thinking rationally) are those who are “guaranteeing” Texas into the CFP if we do X. 

Once again, yes, the committee can come out and say “Alabama/Georgia just looks better than Texas right now” to justify putting them in. Yes, they can 100% do that. That is something you can’t just ignore.

I gotcha. I appreciate the answer. It may be true. Seems to be an emotional argument over their very own criteria though.

42 minutes ago, Jewish Wang said:

Milroe looks better, but the rest of Bama looks about the same.  Very undisciplined for a Saban team.  Still don't have the same quality receivers.

8 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

If they put a one loss bama in over us then we should cancel the Michigan game next year and schedule incarnate word, because what's the point of even having that big intersectional game?

I don’t agree with this as a fan, because I love watching those games, but I do agree that Sark should be on all the tv shows running with that line between the big 12 championship game and final selection. What’s the point of scheduling big time road OOC games if you don’t get a real benefit in winning?

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

If they put a one loss bama in over us then we should cancel the Michigan game next year and schedule incarnate word, because what's the point of even having that big intersectional game?

It’s highly important. We have not looked good down the stretch, and in the current system CFB absolutely is a beauty contest. If Bama beats UGA, they jump ahead of us without question. 

14 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

Fair enough. I think the world works differently. I hope we find out. 

They won’t (Bama), but I hope I lose my bet to The Great Hornsby if the scenario (UGA winning a close one) comes to pass (it won’t). 

I think UGA wins, and our rooting priorities need to be:

1) FSU loss

2a) Win beauty contest with Big Game loser

2b) Win beauty contest with PAC 12 losing UW. 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Because they are better than us. Yall keep bringing tech up 11 weeks ago.  Teams approve throughout the year. They would pass for 7000 yards against us.  Head to head Oregon beats Texas. Hell a rematch with Bama we’d likely lose. We haven’t looked dominant in a while and we are getting by on our athletes.   All the teams ahead of us not FSU would beat us and that’s reality 

we are 10-1. It’s awesome but we are not dominant or clicking.  Yeah TCU made it to the title by skating on thin us and they got historically akullfucked nationally 

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Drool 1

Yes, let's ignore Oregon's results on the field because they don't count. What we should be paying attention to is the hypothetical imaginary bowl which clearly shows they are better than us.

Well good for imaginary hypothetical Oregon, they kicked our hypothetical ass.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 8

10 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Because they are better than us. Yall keep bringing tech up 11 weeks ago.  Teams approve throughout the year. They would pass for 7000 yards against us.  Head to head Oregon beats Texas. Hell a rematch with Bama we’d likely lose. We haven’t looked dominant in a while and we are getting by on our athletes.   All the teams ahead of us not FSU would beat us and that’s reality 

we are 10-1. It’s awesome but we are not dominant or clicking.  Yeah TCU made it to the title by skating on thin us and they got historically akullfucked nationally 

They made the national championship game you dingbat and dont have half the athletes we do this year. Also, every top team has looked like hot shit this year at some point. Georgia almost lost to Auburn. Bama struggled with Aggy. Texas had a close call with K State. Oregon almost lost to Tech. Michigan just struggled with Maryland. 

We absolutely can win it all and all of you self loathing idiots that cant embrace success are nauseating. Are we the favorites, no. But we have the horses to win the whole thing. 

Edited by The_Great_Hornsby
  • Hook 'Em 9

9 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

All the teams ahead of us not FSU would beat us and that’s reality 

I agree with much of what you stated. However, I also know the game is played on the field and Texas has done a great job of playing to its competition. Would Texas win a best of three games with any of these teams? I doubt it. Can Texas beat any given team once? You bet your ass they can.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I agree with much of what you stated. However, I also know the game is played on the field and Texas has done a great job of playing to its competition. Would Texas win a best of three games with any of these teams? I doubt it. Can Texas beat any given team once? You bet your ass they can.

And we beat Bama, which is a better win than any of the hypothetical bowl clear winners currently have. They will all beat us 60-0? Well good for them. I hope they get a chance.

But we need FSU to lose (or some other weird shit happen) and need to win two games first.

Edited by Valmy77

18 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I think somebody needs an attitude adjustment.

• Hook 'Em 3

53 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I’ll think it’s possible we could get in over Oregon IF Alabama beat Georgia, but I may well be completely off on that. You can make an objective argument for it at least. 

It is absolutely guaranteed that if we win the next two and FSU loses one, we’re in.  As sure as the sun comes up tomorrow we are in if that happens. 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

All the teams ahead of us not FSU would beat us and that’s reality 

Yeah, this is some pussy shit. In the last two seasons we’ve haven’t lost a single game by more than 7 points. We beat Alabama once and it should have been twice if not for an injury and heroics from their Heisman winning qb.

We don’t kick the shit out of inferior teams like we should yet but we can absolutely play with anyone. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

What's Oregon's best win?

They have beaten 0 ranked teams. I guess they lost close to Washington is their claim to fame. Everyone sucks them off like they are fucking amazing though because they kicked the shit out of spares like Colorado and Stanford. The Oregon is the top 1 loss team façade is the biggest joke going this season. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Oregon has no wins over currently ranked wins 

Texas needs to be pumping that stat - we have 2 wins over a top 10 team and a top 20 team 

Texas needs to mudstomp tech in this scenario since it will be the only common opponent.  There’s an argument to be made there along with a much better resume.  Oregon has been “passing the eye test”.  Yeah… Colorado and Utah aren’t what we thought they were in those early season games.  They haven’t had a single good win on a ranked opponent.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

no one even looks at the fact that for the past 25 years since they started the BCS, and all its forms since then, the teams are still pretty much ranked by how many losses you have.  You could schedule 3 little sisters of the poor and if you go undefeated in your P5 conference you are going to be ranked higher than one loss teams.  one loss teams are also ranked higher than 2 loss teams almost all the time. 

2 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

You’re a dipshit, but you’re right about this…

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, victory88 said:

Texas needs to mudstomp tech in this scenario since it will be the only common opponent.  There’s an argument to be made there along with a much better resume.  Oregon has been “passing the eye test”.  Yeah… Colorado and Utah aren’t what we thought they were in those early season games.  They haven’t had a single good win on a ranked opponent.

This. This is why we need to destroy TT and give the committee an objective differentiator with Oregon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]