THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Louisville has a real chance to beat Florida State.  They might even be favored in that game.

And that’s pretty much it.  Iowa is going to get blasted by Michigan.  If Oregon beats Washington, they won’t drop them behind us.  If Alabama beats Georgia, they will absolutely pick Bama instead of us.

I do agree we have a stronger resume than Oregon and it’s bullshit that a 1 loss Pac12 team would get preference over us.  That conference has zero quality wins OOC, and they made their reputation from beating each other.   But, at the same time, I have to acknowledge we had a pretty flawed season.  There were a lot of close wins over trash Big 12 teams until this week when we finally dominated someone again.

I think we should be the highest ranked 1 loss team (and that we’re better than FSU and Washington even if they are undefeated), but I can’t get too upset.  This wouldn’t be like 2008 when coaches downvoted us on purpose to help their butt buddies, and the media for some reason decided OU beating the same teams 63-35 was actually better than us beating them 49-10, and used that to justify ignoring our head to head win.  That was bullshit.

This is pretty much where I land.

We've been banking on some degree and element of chaos that is seemingly not coming. Some years it be like that and all the #1 seeds make the Final 4, some years none do. Hard to be mad when the locus of control was cast externally by losing to OU on that last drive.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TX Wing Fan said:

When comparing 1 loss teams, I believe that the committee would give priority to those who have won their conference championship game. Only exception to this would be Georgia, as I fear that they'd try to sneak in both Bama and and the 2-time defending national champions (it's not fair, but I could see them doing it).

SEC, B10, and PAC are all probably getting at least 1 team in no matter what at this point. We need Georgia to win and FSU to lose to make it in. There's also a chance we could jump another 1 lose conference champion if we obliterate okie lite like 45-0 (see tOSU in 2014), but it's unlikely.

It's unfortunate, but in terms of playoff contention we probably picked the worst year in the last 10 to be a 1 loss team.

I think the conference championships are being considered playoff games in this situation.

6 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

This is pretty much where I land.

We've been banking on some degree and element of chaos that is seemingly not coming. Some years it be like that and all the #1 seeds make the Final 4, some years none do. Hard to be mad when the locus of control was cast externally by losing to OU on that last drive.

I’m having a blast this season. It’s absolutely a blessing to be in the conversation this late. Though it really would be disappointing if we don’t get a shot at the playoffs with the talent on this team. Sweat, Sanders, Mitchell, Murphy, Watts, Ford, Jones, Worthy, etc. We have NFL guys all over the roster. It makes me a bit bitter when I look at the teams likely to be in the Playoff. Michigan? Never had to leave their little Big10 echo chamber once, never really challenged by a competent offense. Florida State? They were down by double digits to North Alabama at home last week with Jordan Travis. They had almost negative offensive production before a Florida player did a Triple H impression. Washington? They’re a solid team and they’ve found ways to win. Though I think a team like Georgia has a field day with their one dimensional structure. I wish these guys had another shot to show the country how good they can be.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

I want all of you dumb idiots worrying about 2 SEC teams to sit down and write “A ONE LOSS NON CONFERENCE CHAMPION IS NOT GETTING IN OVER A 1 LOSS CONFERENCE CHAMPION TEXAS” until you stop being a dumb idiot.

At the same time write “A 1 LOSS CONFERENCE CHAMP IS NOT GETTING IN OVER AN UNDEFEATED CONFERENCE CHAMP.”

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Even though the Washington, FSU, and Bama games didn’t go well for Texas’ playoff chances, yesterday was a spectacular day of college football. Entertaining as hell. And so great when Texas is in the conversation. Every game has meaning. 

I agree, first time in several years that the games at the end of the season actually mean something to Longhorn fans.

The only reason Texas was ranked where they were was because of eye test.  Well Bama needed a miracle to beat a 5-6 team.  FSU barely scraped by a 5-6 team.  Washington needed a game winning FG to bear a 4-7 team.  We just beat a team by 50 that the team in front of us almost to.  Texas needs to do the same thing next week and the committee will have a hard time argument to make when we have the better SoS, the best win of any team, best resume and winning the eye test.  What then?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Louisville has a real chance to beat Florida State.  They might even be favored in that game.

And that’s pretty much it.  Iowa is going to get blasted by Michigan.  If Oregon beats Washington, they won’t drop them behind us.  If Alabama beats Georgia, they will absolutely pick Bama instead of us.

I do agree we have a stronger resume than Oregon and it’s bullshit that a 1 loss Pac12 team would get preference over us.  That conference has zero quality wins OOC, and they made their reputation from beating each other.   But, at the same time, I have to acknowledge we had a pretty flawed season.  There were a lot of close wins over trash Big 12 teams until this week when we finally dominated someone again.

I think we should be the highest ranked 1 loss team (and that we’re better than FSU and Washington even if they are undefeated), but I can’t get too upset.  This wouldn’t be like 2008 when coaches downvoted us on purpose to help their butt buddies, and the media for some reason decided OU beating the same teams 63-35 was actually better than us beating them 49-10, and used that to justify ignoring our head to head win.  That was bullshit.

We would have fucked the crying tebows up that year. As it was we beat tOSU in the fiesta while OU did their famous vanishing Bobs act.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, victory88 said:

The only reason Texas was ranked where they were was because of eye test.  Well Bama needed a miracle to beat a 5-6 team.  FSU barely scraped by a 5-6 team.  Washington needed a game winning FG to bear a 4-7 team.  We just beat a team by 50 that the team in front of us almost to.  Texas needs to do the same thing next week and the committee will have a hard time argument to make when we have the better SoS, the best win of any team, best resume and winning the eye test.  What then?

Uh Oh Oops GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

the Gator collapse last night was critical to our chances. It's up to the frikkin Louisville Cardinals to save Texas.   Sad to think that the last 75 seconds of PREVENT DEFENSE vs. OU may have cost a national championship.  But then again, the struggle vs Cougar High and the super lucky win vs. KSU, being down at home to Wyoming and Rice -- these are not good marks on the report card, despite winning them all. 

4 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

the Gator collapse last night was critical to our chances. It's up to the frikkin Louisville Cardinals to save Texas.   Sad to think that the last 75 seconds of PREVENT DEFENSE vs. OU may have cost a national championship.  But then again, the struggle vs Cougar High and the super lucky win vs. KSU, being down at home to Wyoming and Rice -- these are not good marks on the report card, despite winning them all. 

We were playing our backup QB with half the roster injured and still beat a ranked KSU team.  

8 minutes ago, victory88 said:

We were playing our backup QB with half the roster injured and still beat a ranked KSU team.  

The fact that we won 2 with a back up QB needs to be screamed from top of the rock or the Chrysler building or something. Fucking A. I’m starting to get pissed. If we play our game we can go toe to toe with every team ahead of us. Fuck.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

Of course no one loses this year. Of course. Has never happened but now it does.

Or we get screwed. I don’t see us making it but whatever. Makes me mad but they should’ve never lost to OU. Regardless I’m happy to be 11-1 we could be talking about being 5-7, 8-4, or bullying our admin out of a hire instead we are taking about being screwed out of a playoff spot.

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

It was the first quarter of mediocre to bad QB play that cost us the game with OU... but regardless... I think we bump Oregon due to comparison with Tech (judges are supposed to consider that).. further, we jump FSU when they lose to louisville next week and if we destroy OSU, boom, we're in. Only one Big10 and SEC team is getting in this year. 

Edited by ChickenNuggets

55 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Not to mention a bad third quarter against Alabama. Imagine if we had beaten them by 20+. It might have been enough for everyone to agree we should be ahead of them at the end of the year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

It was the first quarter of mediocre to bad QB play that cost us the game with OU... but regardless... I think we bump Oregon due to comparison with Tech (judges are supposed to consider that).. further, we jump FSU when they lose to louisville next week and if we destroy OSU, boom, we're in. Only one Big10 and SEC team is getting in this year. 

our universe rests on this presumption. We're not jumping a 13-0 FSU.  Does Louisville still have Lamar Jackson?

10 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

I have not seen any real campaigning by Sark yet, which is how it should be.  I hope he continues to focus on the task at hand (beating OkSt), and then presents a well-reasoned argument.   

He needs surrogates out there now, after okie state he’s got less than 24-30 hours 

51 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Don’t take this the wrong way but I wish the committee had balls like this.

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

I don't get the Oregon love. They lost to the only really good team on their schedule and blew out bad teams. Their best wins are against 2 8-4 teams. The pac championship will take care of them or Washington though. 

It's interesting that the media ranks undefeated FSU so low. Maybe there's an outside chance of jumping them even if they beat Louisville.  Hopefully we have a good showing next week. 

The dream scenario is Alabama beating Georgia and getting left out. I would laugh my ass off. I would also like our chances against Michigan, FSU, and Washington.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1

No matter how much lobbying is done in favor of Texas over FSU, I think that's a losing battle unless FSU loses their championship game. There is absolutely no reason to rank Oregon ahead of us however, and our lobbying should focus on that aspect of the rankings.

• Hook 'Em 5

People saying we didn’t get help from anyone this weekend are mostly right, but we did get help from the one place it mattered: our team. We fucking smashed Tech by 50 points, securing our berth in the Big12 CG while racking up style points.

Also, imagine how much more hopeless we’d feel if FSU didn’t lose Jordan Travis for the season? (against directional Alabama, while we’re at it)

We still have Louisville to root for and plenty of chaotic things have happened in conference championship games in years past. We’re in the hunt until we’re not.

And if it doesn’t play out our way, then we can go back to bitching about not punching it in from the goal line or letting DG stroll down the field in under 75 seconds.

• Hook 'Em 1

There is absolutely no justification for a 1 loss Oregon team to be ahead of a 1 loss Texas team.  Their only justification is eye test.  Nothing about their wins, quality of schedule, or even eye test are better than Texas.  This committee is going off their wins against a 4-7 Colorado team and a very overrated Utah team they played without Cam Rising.  Utah’s signature win this year is a bowl ineligible Florida team.

The only scenario where we are fucked is if all the undefeated teams stay undefeated.  We really need Bama to win out and beat UGA.  I cannot imagine the committee leaving us out and letting a 1 loss Bama team we beat by double digits in.  And make no mistake about it.  We would smoke Bama again.  We are a terrible match up for them.

• Hook 'Em 3

I think Texas fans are fretting too much over the Bama thing. Yes - Bama would have the better body of work, but not by so much that it outweighs a two score Texas win in Tuscaloosa. Regardless, I do not think we are going to find out. Georgia has shown they have an extra gear and I don’t think Bama can hang with that for four quarters.

Even though the Washington, FSU, and Bama games didn’t go well for Texas’ playoff chances, yesterday was a spectacular day of college football. Entertaining as hell. And so great when Texas is in the conversation. Every game has meaning. 

The finishes in the afternoon window were something. I don’t know that I have ever seen such high drama with such high stakes across three games playing out nearly simultaneously like that before.

1 hour ago, utexas8 said:

Of course no one loses this year. Of course. Has never happened but now it does.

Or we get screwed. I don’t see us making it but whatever. Makes me mad but they should’ve never lost to OU. Regardless I’m happy to be 11-1 we could be talking about being 5-7, 8-4, or bullying our admin out of a hire instead we are taking about being screwed out of a playoff spot.

We (osu) have missed out twice on playing for a natty…and both were solely on the team.  2011 loss to ISU, and 2021 loss to rapists in conf champ game due to being unable to convert 4th and inches.  

Granted the LSU/Bama rematch was the stupidest thing ever protecting the SEC brand and our best RB likely converts one of those four goal-to-go runs but sat out due to the draft.  It is what it is.  Once you lose a game it’s out of your hands (or not if you’re UCF).  

That being said, any talk of Oregon having a better resume than Texas is fucking stupid and reflective of the entire dumbass nature of a 4-team playoff with 5 big boy conferences.  

MU/tOSU should have been considered an elimination game but I smell fuckery there…along with all this Oregon talk.  The narrative is always changing and it’s just to cover the undeniable fact that it’s all a ratings play.  Pisses me off as y’all have an outstanding resume with a win over us next Saturday.  

3 minutes ago, Homercles said:

We (osu) have missed out twice on playing for a natty…and both were solely on the team.  2011 loss to ISU, and 2021 loss to rapists in conf champ game due to being unable to convert 4th and inches.  

Granted the LSU/Bama rematch was the stupidest thing ever protecting the SEC brand and our best RB likely converts one of those four goal-to-go runs but sat out due to the draft.  It is what it is.  Once you lose a game it’s out of your hands (or not if you’re UCF).  

That being said, any talk of Oregon having a better resume than Texas is fucking stupid and reflective of the entire dumbass nature of a 4-team playoff with 5 big boy conferences.  

MU/tOSU should have been considered an elimination game but I smell fuckery there…along with all this Oregon talk.  The narrative is always changing and it’s just to cover the undeniable fact that it’s all a ratings play.  Pisses me off as y’all have an outstanding resume with a win over us next Saturday.  

^^ don't you cast that spell on us, witch...

Animated GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, victory88 said:

There is absolutely no justification for a 1 loss Oregon team to be ahead of a 1 loss Texas team.  Their only justification is eye test.  Nothing about their wins, quality of schedule, or even eye test are better than Texas.  This committee is going off their wins against a 4-7 Colorado team and a very overrated Utah team they played without Cam Rising.  Utah’s signature win this year is a bowl ineligible Florida team.

The only scenario where we are fucked is if all the undefeated teams stay undefeated.  We really need Bama to win out and beat UGA.  I cannot imagine the committee leaving us out and letting a 1 loss Bama team we beat by double digits in.  And make no mistake about it.  We would smoke Bama again.  We are a terrible match up for them.

Agree with the first paragraph but we don't want Bama to beat UGA and cause further chaos and uncertainty. We know that SEC will definitely send one team to the CFP. If it's UGA, then Bama gets left out because they would have two losses. If we have two one-loss teams, then there will be talking heads lobbying for two SEC teams to get in, however ridiculous that may sound.

Edited by UTEE97

5 minutes ago, Jewish Wang said:

Everything about this is wrong. 

Bama beating Georgia can only help us.  It's the committee's worst nightmare.  They will want to put Bama in so bad, but it's really hard to discount that head to head loss to Texas.  I'm not ruling out the committee putting Bama in and leaving Texas out in that situation, but it's still better than Georgia winning.  If there is a situation where they leave an undefeated FSU out (or push champ Oregon out), a Bama win over Georgia increases the odds of either of those things happening.  

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, blutow said:

Bama beating Georgia can only help us.  It's the committee's worst nightmare.  They will want to put Bama in so bad, but it's really hard to discount that head to head loss to Texas.  I'm not ruling out the committee putting Bama in and leaving Texas out in that situation, but it's still better than Georgia winning.  If there is a situation where they leave an undefeated FSU out (or push champ Oregon out), a Bama win over Georgia increases the odds of either of those things happening.  

Nonsense. 

3 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Agree with the first paragraph but we don't want Bama to beat UGA and cause further chaos and uncertainty. We know that SEC will definitely send one team to the CFP. If it's a one loss UGA, then Bama gets left out because they would have two losses. If we have two one-loss teams, then there will be talking heads lobbying for two SEC teams to get in, however ridiculous that may sound.

This is absolutely correct^^  An undefeated Georgia is likely the only scenario where only one SEC school gets into the playoff. If Bama wins, both teams will go... Georgia is clearly a number 1 team and the story of how Nick Saban "still has it" will be too good to pass up... 

Here we go again - we should put tags under people’s names. 

The 11-1 Bama will pass Texas camps and

The 11-1 Bama will not pass Texas camp

Just now, ChickenNuggets said:

This is absolutely correct^^  An undefeated Georgia is likely the only scenario where only one SEC school gets into the playoff. If Bama wins, both teams will go... Georgia is clearly a number 1 team and the story of how Nick Saban "still has it" will be too good to pass up... 

There is a close to zero chance 2 teams from any conference are going no matter who they are. 

12 minutes ago, hornbri said:

Here we go again - we should put tags under people’s names. 

The 11-1 Bama will pass Texas camps and

The 11-1 Bama will not pass Texas camp

11-1 bama may or may not pass us, but I don't want to find out. A 2-loss bama surely won't and would ensure only one SEC team (UGA) gets in. There has never been a case where the SEC didn't get a team in and this won't be the first because we won the H2H.

Not saying two one-loss teams from the SEC will surely get in, but we are talking about a two-time defending champ who had the best regular season record in the SEC and only lost in the conference championship game to Bama. There will be a lot of push to get both Bama and UGA in.

Edited by UTEE97

The committee has a guidelines they apparently follow.

Conference champions

head to head 

common opponents

eye tesr

- There is absolutely no way a 1 loss Bama team is going to jump Texas if they beat UGA.  The committee would then be telling all of college football that head to head doesn’t count.  None of the other teams have beaten a CFP team and they would be leaving out Texas that has already proven to have beaten one in this scenario.  Bama needing a fucking miracle to beat a TERRIBLE auburn team is also going to shut down the Bama is better now talk.  Bama and Oregon winning out creates chaos with nearly multiple 1 loss teams.  UGA, Bama, Oregon, Washington, tOSU would all have 1 losses in that scenario.  This favors Texas in ng opinion.  We just need to throttle okie lite.

• Hook 'Em 6

6 minutes ago, Jewish Wang said:

Nonsense

It's only nonsense if you believe 2 SEC teams get in.  I know you think that (and anything is possible with a human committee), but that scenario is way, way crazier than the other scenarios. The only time it's happened in the past is when the non-champ goes in over a 2 loss champ.  It's looking like it will be 5 very deserving champs.  It's not the best team on paper, the results of the games have to matter to some degree.      

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]