Texas Rangers Offseason 2023-2024

ztejas

2 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

your q made me click around on bbref a bit on ranger great ted williams.  In 1947 led the league in WAR, R, HR, RBI, BB, BA, OBP (by a hundred points), SLG (by a hundred points), OPS (by, of course, two hundred points).  got the same number of first place votes as the third highest yankee george mcquinn.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/awards_1947.shtml#all_AL_MVP_voting

Probably a "he won it last year so give it to DiMaggio" and also because the Yankees cruised that year, relatively speaking.

Found the answer to my own question, 1959 White Sox and 1966 Orioles had top three MVP candidates. Maybe others but I stopped. Obviously fewer teams/players.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I get that but this seems more of a move if we were trying to get over the hump. We just won it all and could be even better this year with our core having that experience. This would be a massive contract for a guy that just had his 2nd TJ surgery. That makes it even more difficult to recover from. His value drops if he can't pitch every 5 days. Do we really need a very expensive DH?

Agreed. Need to sign Montgomery and maybe another 4 to 5 in the rotation starting pitcher. And every bull pen player in free agency....

right now our SP is:

1* Degrom

1 - Eovaldi

2 - Montgomery (if we sign him)

3 - Scherzer (assuming no long term arm problems?)

4-5 Gray/Dunning/Heaney

Am I missing something/Someone?

• Like 1

We should be able to help the bullpen through trades of guys who are position-blocked. I think Duran will be a solid middle infielder but we’ve got no openings there. Same story for Justin Foscue, though he probably fetches a little less. I would absolutely not include Sebastian Walcott in that group…

1 hour ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Maybe not random, but Lance Berkman was the Ranger I hated the most. Dude didn’t give a single fuck about the team that was paying him. 

That's how I felt about Richie Zisk.  He was only with the White Sox* one year, but I learned to hate him that year, and never warmed to him when he was with the Rangers.  

*The White Sox were one of our biggest rivals back then.  I still love seeing them lose.

Edited by idigTexas
OU sux, and so to the White Sox