Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

9 minutes ago, victory88 said:

3.  Sansa and Dany.  I get the conflict.  But the fucking dead are coming to rip Sansa and her fucking people to shreds in a few hours and their only chance to survive is because of Dany.  Yet she's picking fights with Dany as if she has any leverage at all.  She should be getting on her knees to tickle Dany's asshole with her tongue if that's what she asks.  They don't stand a chance without her yet she's now choosing to fight a battle that clearly won't matter if Dany decides to bounce with her dragons.  

GOT is pretty much based on not doing the right or logical thing for the greater good.  The majority of the people in power are selfish, sadistic assholes that kill, maim, rape, murder and backstab their allies without a second thought.  Sansa wanting to hold on to her (the North's) power does not seem too odd.

8 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Not going to play by those rules, but...

One of Dany or Jon sacrifices themselves to kill the night king, defeating the army of the dead and providing a gut punch for that episode.

Theon dies protecting Bran, redeeming his honor in death.

One of Tyrion or Jaime dies vs the dead.  Probably Jaime in a redemptive death.

Hound dies keeping Arya alive.

Davos, Tormund and greyworm die vs the dead.  Reasonably likeable characters that are expendable.

The finale will be about resolving the Lannister family conflict.  Whichever brother lives vs the dead, probably Tyrion, outwits Cersei to bring about her downfall.  Whatever Stark’s are left get the kill, probably Arya who gets to cross the biggest name off her list.

Dany or Jon sits on the iron throne.  The north is granted its independence.  They all live happily ever after.

tumblr_inline_p7lfr9ZJ3s1rbgili_540.gif

I say several middle tier people die, and one top tier person at most.

Top tier:  Jon, Daenerys, Sansa, Arya, Tyrion, Jaime, Brienne, Sam, Verys, Brann

Middle: Gilly, Jorah, Greyworm, Greyworm's girl, Theon, Podrick, Giantsbane, resurrection guy, Davos, Gendry

Edited by SuingToGetAMessageBoard?

it seemed like they made sure we know Arya can throw things proficiently, and now she has a spear.  My bet is she will throw the spear at the ice dragon and kill it.
Was I the only one to notice the grouping of the 3 blades Arya threw? As in how perfectly they would have fit in say, the eyes of a Three-Eyed Raven?

Don't know that it makes any sense but....

1 minute ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Was I the only one to notice the grouping of the 3 blades Arya threw? As in how perfectly they would have fit in say, the eyes of a Three-Eyed Raven?

Don't know that it makes any sense but....

Felt a little Mary Sue to show she is literally perfect now with weapons to the point of it being miraculous.

I think A LOT of people will die next ep. Brienne and Tormund, Jamie, Greyworm, Theon, Hound, almost everyone in the crypt except Sam...

I think Jon and Bran are the only ones I’m pretty certain will live. Also, was excited to see Ghost on the wall. He’s going to kill a lot of dead folk before being destroyed. That zombie giant will make an appearance too

33 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Didn't one of the show-runners comment one time about how expensive it was anytime they showed the dragons? Could be that simple.

I don’t know that it would’ve been that expensive for one of the castle black survivors at the strategy meeting to mention the dead dragon that breeds ice fire    Not to show it but just for one of them to talk about itNot to show it but just for one of them to talk about it

The first 2 episodes were slow but isn't that somewhat expected? For the last 2 seasons everyone was complaining the pace was suddenly too fast, now people are complaining the story is not advancing fast enough.

I think when a show gets to the final season, especially a short final season, the viewers become kind of frantic knowing there are few episodes remaining. They expect fireworks every single episode because, dammit we only have 6 episodes left to finish everything.

The thing is, this massive story is very close to its conclusion already. If we skip all the dialogue that some of you seem to hate, it could be over in 2 more episodes - one for the White Walker battle and one for the Cersei battle. Something has to occupy the remaining 4 episodes and it's only natural that we will have a lot of screen time spent on giving closure to various characters.

For the past 7 seasons we've had tons of different characters and plots spread all across the map - Winterfell, The Wall, north of The Wall, King's Landing, The Vale, Dorne, Meereen, Braavos, etc. With so much going on, it's easy to have a somewhat shocking conflict situation in one of those places in any given episode. We now have everyone converged in 2 places - Winterfell and King's Landing. There are no shocking developments to occur until the fighting begins, which we all know is next week.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride. Wait to complain after the final episode when your favorite character didn't get the sendoff you wanted.

• Like 1

Anyone else think Howland Reed (Mira & Jojen’s father) still has a part to play this season?

He was the only one with Ned that lived through the tower of joy skirmish. We know they were close, as evidenced by Jojen telling Bran that upon hearing of Ned’s death was the only time he saw his father cry. He may be able to speak to Jon’s lineage. On the ride north from Dorne he never said “yo Ned, where’d you get the newborn baby inside that tower that your sister was in?” He is still alive, no?

Edited by heso

29 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Which is just dirty glass pretty much. It still shatters.

Not when its forged by a super smith with king's blood.  The show has dragons and shit, the ability to make obsidian weapons that won't shatter is whats tripping you up?  

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

Regarding the dragons, I'm sure they will be involved in the battle on both sides, but it's hard to imagine how Dany will be able to use her dragons know the Night King can easily throw a javelin into them. They seem extremely vulnerable at this point.

I hope the direwolves get some action. We know Ghost is around, curious to see if Nymeria makes an appearance or if her interaction with Arya was the last we'll see.

Surprised that Melissandre hasn't shown up yet. I would also expect Bronn to arrive in the middle of the action next week.

2 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

I hope there is a whole episode dedicated to the night king prior to his creation and from his creation forward.

I was there a bit too, but I thought the exposition last night solved that problem.  They want nothing but death (kill everyone) and to erase history (kill Bran).  He was made by the Children of the Forest to kill men and he went Skynet.

i'm not rolling thru the last 5 pages of what is surely bitching and bitching about the bitching, but has anyone found it odd that their dragons haven't been mentioned?  i know the night king has a dragon as well, but they have 2 and a castle.  instead of just chilling at winterfell and waiting for the siege, you would think their first attack would center on two dragons fucking up tens of thousands of the dead, right?  they have the ability to cripple the opposing troops while they're still far away, then still fly back and help out at the castle.

seems like an obvious advantage you'd like to exploit, rather than just discuss lighting of the trenches.

maybe that strategy conversation happened off-screen.

• Like 1

A couple of other observations.

- Maybe someone upthread mentioned it, but given John saw NK do a "Come at me, bro" and raise a bunch of dead people, have they not thought about his ability to raise the dead in the crypts from a distance?  We are all seeing that as one of the darker turns next episode, but seems like a bad tactical decision given more thought.

- I was trying to figure out what the fireside scene reminded me of (a bunch of people drinking, etc. and recollecting ahead of a battle they'll all probably die in).  It's the "Drink with Me" scene from Les Miserables, with Tormund playing the role of Joly.  

Yeah they already lost a dragon flying around thinking their shit don't stink so maybe they aren't so eager to lose another.  The lack of dragon defense discussion doesn't really concern me.  I mean I imagine they have some giant crossbows in tactical positions, but other than that I don't really think they have a clue what to do.  That's kind of why most don't seem to confident.

To beat a dead horse (then raise it from the dead), we know the Night King can take out a dragon.  And we can easily assume a dead army infantry person is pretty worthless in 1:1 combat.  Their strength lies in numbers and the ability to go forever without food or sleep or mutiny or cowardice.  So I doubt they can wield an anti dragon spear. My question is can the other WW officers take out dragons?  If you lure the NK to bran, while that’s happening the other two dragons could burn their whole army in a matter of minutes.  Unless they find out fire doesn’t bother them anymore.  Oops 

anyway,  don’t really care but they spent so much of that few episodes tactically planning for this so it’s a bit fun to toss around theories.  

They strategically let them kill another dragon in some water, then when those slow walking mfers have to walk all the way back to where they left the chains that magically appeared in the middle of nowhere (not to mention the time it takes a bunch of non-swimming zombies diving down to tie them around the dead dragon), everyone at Winterfell hauls ass to the Iron Islands, sends a bunch of "Fuck us? Fuck you, Cersei!" ravens, waits for Spring...
5. Profit!

Or... "NO, gotdammit, my entertainment has to make perfect sense!"

• Like 1

It appears that Dany isn't a bookfag because she apparently wasn't too impressed that Jon is a dragonrider. I think it was stated somewhere that it's a thing in the show's universe. She very much questions the validity of Jon's claim when that alone should have put the issue to rest. I suppose she may become educated to that factoid later to help convince her.

5 minutes ago, Quasimofo said:

They strategically let them kill another dragon in some water, then when those slow walking mfers have to walk all the way back to where they left the chains that magically appeared in the middle of nowhere (not to mention the time it takes a bunch of non-swimming zombies diving down to tie them around the dead dragon), everyone at Winterfell hauls ass to the Iron Islands, sends a bunch of "Fuck us? Fuck you, Cersei!" ravens, waits for Spring...
5. Profit!

Or... "NO, gotdammit, my entertainment has to make perfect sense!"

I actually laughed and was impressed with your strategy. Doesn’t need to make sense to me, never read the books and only watch the show casually and have missed a few episodes here and there.  The writers and nerds can’t make a show that talks about dragons exhaustively and an army of the dead exhaustively, and then just barely pay attention to the army of the dead having a dragon.  

Thats like a 70s apocalypse/political thriller  movie talking about nuclear weapons and Russians all the time. And then casually mentioning that the Russians also have a nuclear weapon.  

11 minutes ago, Eternal Noob said:

It appears that Dany isn't a bookfag because she apparently wasn't too impressed that Jon is a dragonrider. I think it was stated somewhere that it's a thing in the show's universe. She very much questions the validity of Jon's claim when that alone should have put the issue to rest. I suppose she may become educated to that factoid later to help convince her.

By who?  Sansa?  So you're saying Jon's best friend, brother and sister are the only one's who can corroborate this story?  Seems like traitorous behavior to me!

9 minutes ago, Eternal Noob said:

What is the bookfag reason for why only Targaryen's can ride dragons?  Is there really something special about hanging on, or are the dragon's eyeballing DNA and only letting blondes on their backs?

3 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

What is the bookfag reason for why only Targaryen's can ride dragons?  Is there really something special about hanging on, or are the dragon's eyeballing DNA and only letting blondes on their backs?

It's the fact a dragon would let you on in the first place

I could buy the theory of the NK riding detouring to kings landing to easily fireball their entire army with basically no resistance.  Although I would think that Cersie probably lives.  I think they'll write her doom (assuming she is to die) at the hands of a Stark or something for some juicy cheesy vengeance.

You think Dany took Jon's news hard? Just wait'll NK tells her he's Targaryen too. "Bitch, you see me on that dragon? You see me walk through fire? You see all my lieutenants with hair the same color as yours?"

Or, Little Sam goes out and has a chat with all his brothers, and stops the whole thing. His kinfolk out there.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
32 minutes ago, BayouBill said:
NK and dragon are already on their way to King's Landing. Using this battle as a chance to sneak in and destroy it. 
He didn't show up in the teaser for episode 3 so that's my theory.

Do they have dragon glass at kings landing? They def don't have the artillery to take out a dragon

They have the scorpion. That theoretically could take down Viserion.

11 minutes ago, maninblack said:

They have the scorpion. That theoretically could take down Viserion.

Does that take out zombie dragon?  Or would it need to be dragon glass like with the white walkers?  Is Viserion simply a brought back to life dragon or was he changed into something else like the white walkers version of a dragon?

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread