Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

13 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

Serious question for Derka: did you just recently binge watch the first 6-7 seasons and are just now caught up? I ask because I honestly don't remember you being on these illiterati threads in the past. Maybe i'm wrong though. 

Derka:

SatisfiedIncompleteAlpineroadguidetigerb

• Haha 1

Derka is right.  You are bound by the universe you have previously created.  Jon being resurrected by a witch falls in line with the magic of this world.  People being able to escape certain death in a matter of jump cuts has not been how the show previously worked.  Just because there is magic doesn't mean there aren't natural laws and rules in place.  

It is lazy writing to use the excuse of magic to mean literally anything can happen.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Dude needs a primer from Roger Deakins how to immerse the viewer in darkness while actually capturing images on-screen.

Perhaps I should have told my wife that she couldn’t use the kitchen light to eat dinner. “Honey, the GOT cinematographer wants me to watch this in the dark on the right settings. Can you please turn the lights off so I can immerse myself in the defense of Winterfell? Also, Can you google which settings my tv should be on? Mmmkay, thanks!”

Yea he’s full of shit. I’ve personally calibrated my TV with calMan and a Spyder5. I also watched with my lights set to my theater setting and with bias lighting behind my TV to improve perceived contrast. The show was too dark. Period.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

Serious question for Derka: did you just recently binge watch the first 6-7 seasons and are just now caught up? I ask because I honestly don't remember you being on these illiterati threads in the past. Maybe i'm wrong though. 

yes i have been in the illiterati threads since season 2. you don't remember me being in there because suddenly everything i say is deemed controversial and noteworthy, even when countless others are saying the exact same thing. i mean ctj is over here saying, "yeah so all those soldiers who were killed last episode are going to magically reappear next episode and you're gay if you have a problem with that", and me pointing out how silly that is elicits these, "WELL WHY DONT YOU STOP WATCHING THE SHOW THEN" responses, which is absurd. truly, people are taking my posts and reacting bombastically and there's nothing i can do about that. the opinions i've posted have been shared by many others, and should not be this controversial.

15 minutes ago, gurt said:

Derka is right.  You are bound by the universe you have previously created.  Jon being resurrected by a witch falls in line with the magic of this world.  People being able to escape certain death in a matter of jump cuts has not been how the show previously worked.  Just because there is magic doesn't mean there aren't natural laws and rules in place.  

It is lazy writing to use the excuse of magic to mean literally anything can happen.

Which part is more far fetched then Melisandre lighting a mile long trench with her bare hands in -20 degreee weather?

I listened to The Watch podcast and I’m with Greenwald and Ryan.  It was an awesome episode with flaws but up there with some of the most transcendent television ever, simply because of the scope and ambition.  

To (mis)quote Andy Greenwald - If I actually saw how Arya got from the room to jumping at the night king would the episode have been that much better? No.  It wouldn’t.  That applies to a bunch of scenes.  Unless you are one of those people that need to see people crapping in the Walking Dead.  Then I guess it matters.  Why be so fucking negative?  It wasn’t perfect but it was still fucking exhilarating. 

Edited: this isn’t targeted at anyone.  It just seems like such a waste to nitpick the trees when the forest was fucking epic. 

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Like 6

Just now, A-Tex Devil said:

I listened to The Watch podcast and I’m with Greenwald and Ryan.  It was an awesome episode with flaws but up there with some of the most transcendent television ever, simply because of the scope and ambition.  

To (mis)quote Andy Greenwald - If I actually saw how Arya got from the room to jumping at the night king would the episode have been that much better? No.  It wouldn’t.  That applies to a bunch of scenes.  Unless you are one of those people that need to see people crapping in the Walking Dead.  Then I guess it matters.  Why be so fucking negative?  It wasn’t perfect but it was still fucking exhilarating. 

I've got a map of Winterfell.  By my estimation, Arya must run a 3 minute mile if she was able to get there and hide from the Night King.  I also don't know how far away the NK was, but I just want to bitch about things that don't make sense.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Edited: this isn’t targeted at anyone.  It just seems like such a waste to nitpick the trees when the forest was fucking epic. 

This post perfectly encapsulates this thread, and its frustrating that the one faction of posters causing all of this consternation doesn't see it. You listened to a podcast whose opinion you agreed with- y'all think that episode was transcendent TV. I on the other hand share an opinion with the myriad of articles and podcasts and vloggers and surly posters who weren't blown away by the episode, who think it was the worst of the big battle episodes, and who feel very strongly that this episode strayed away from the very formula which made GoT great to begin with- that it more resembles a traditional bit TV/Hollywood battle scene/episode. 

The only difference is that the faction you represent absolutely cannot handle hearing and even want to disallow anyone else's opinion that doesn't match yours. "What do y'all have to be so fucking negative?!" "Why do y'all even watch?!" "Ugh, get out of this thread!" (<- actual quotes from the last page or two) Whereas those of us who don't agree with you are simply like, "Well you're all entitled to your opinion, but my opinion is different and here are my reasons why."

Its quite frustrating and yet also fascinating that the contentious, combative, belligerent faction of this thread thinks that it's the other faction that needs to be reprimanded/banned from the thread/blocked from voicing their opinion. everyone is allowed to have his/her own opinion, and it's nobody's fault but your own if you can't handle that.

53 minutes ago, gurt said:

the books do not exist in this thread, but if i may be permitted to theorize that GRRM did this to himself, and cannot untie the knot in a timely fashion, which is why it has been six years since his last published book in the series. this has left the show writers to pick up the endgame pieces, and they just have to "write around" things like gendry getting to winterfell or whatever the fuck, so that they can get this thing across the goddamned finish line.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

the books do not exist in this thread, but if i may be permitted to theorize that GRRM did this to himself, and cannot untie the knot in a timely fashion, which is why it has been six years since his last published book in the series. this has left the show writers to pick up the endgame pieces, and they just have to "write around" things like gendry getting to winterfell or whatever the fuck, so that they can get this thing across the goddamned finish line.

That doesn't excuse lazy writing like the main characters seemingly being the only ones who survived being overrun by the dead army, that has completely annihilated everything else in it's path. I'm also prepared that magically thousands of Unsullied will have survived the battle, even though it looked like all but a couple dozen were left outside the trench to protect the retreat. If the show writers require source material to work off of to avoid these errors then they are just bad at their job.

It's still a fun show, but it's not the same show as seasons 1-4 and these inconsistencies detract from my enjoyment of it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, elguapo said:

That doesn't excuse lazy writing like the main characters seemingly being the only ones who survived being overrun by the dead army, that has completely annihilated everything else in it's path. I'm also prepared that magically thousands of Unsullied will have survived the battle, even though it looked like all but a couple dozen were left outside the trench to protect the retreat. If the show writers require source material to work off of to avoid these errors then they are just bad at their job.

It's still a fun show, but it's not the same show as seasons 1-4 and these inconsistencies detract from my enjoyment of it.

Doesn't look like a thousand people total survived the battle:

HBO releases photos from Game of Thrones Season 8 Episode 4!

HBO releases photos from Game of Thrones Season 8 Episode 4!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

just because magic exists in this world doesn't mean we abandon any semblance of logic or reason when looking at the story. "dragons exist, therefore none of this story needs to add up or make sense." that's the stance you're taking? good luck with that.

I mean fuck it, why not have Ned Stark leading the charge on King's Landing next week? Or better yet how about Iron Man? Yeah yeah, we'll have Iron Man and Ned Stark riding into battle on Kit from Knightrider, only to find out that Cersei has changed her mind about ruling the 7 Kingdoms, opting instead to enter into a three way marriage with previously unseen characters Ron and Tammy Greyjoy (played by Nick Offerman and Megan Mullaly), after the three of them killed Euron and took his fleet back to Iron Islands for a marathon nine session. Because hey- dragons and magic exist, so anything goes, right?

Did you steal the script for the sequel to Ready Player One and decide to leak it on this thread? Bold move. 

I think we’ve seen this show play with numbers for the entirety of its existence. This won’t be different. 

Everybody left in Westeros hates Cersei and thinks Euron is the devil. Anything left from all remaining houses will join Dany/Jon.

I’m sure the show will build suspense, and fool viewers into thinking the good guys are on the verge of defeat. Then the Sand Snakes/Dorne will swoop in and save the day. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

They got lazy.

When the Faceless Man revealed himself to Arya, he didn't pull off a mask, he just turned around for half a second. Arya was supposed to have learned all this, yet somehow she needs to pull off a mask after poisoning the Freys. Woulda been cool if they'd shown Arya, as she's pouncing on the NK, transitioning from a Wight to herself. Would've answered a few questions that I guess they didn't want to address. Always thought the mask thing was kind of hokey. The scene with Faceless Man seemed more realistic (given suspension of disbelief, etc.)

Everybody left in Westeros hates Cersei and thinks Euron is the devil. Anything left from all remaining houses will join Dany/Jon.
I’m sure the show will build suspense, and fool viewers into thinking the good guys are on the verge of defeat. Then the Sand Snakes/Dorne will swoop in and save the day. 

That sounds great and all but the Sand Snakes are dead

56 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yup.  and it's much easier to have loose ends and twists mid-series than at the end.  eventually you have to give the fans what they want - which will automatically make a portion enraged.

i made a post about 40 pages ago asking "what would be the perfect ending" and there really isn't one.  if it's happy, the nerds will think it betrayed the vision grrm had.  if it's sad, people will get upset their favorite characters didn't win. 

maybe he outsmarted us all by bailing.

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

yup.  and it's much easier to have loose ends and twists mid-series than at the end.  eventually you have to give the fans what they want - which will automatically make a portion enraged.

i made a post about 40 pages ago asking "what would be the perfect ending" and there really isn't one.  if it's happy, the nerds will think it betrayed the vision grrm had.  if it's sad, people will get upset their favorite characters didn't win. 

maybe he outsmarted us all by bailing.

I'd settle for a well written ending that is true to the show and characters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

I've got a map of Winterfell.  By my estimation, Arya must run a 3 minute mile if she was able to get there and hide from the Night King.  I also don't know how far away the NK was, but I just want to bitch about things that don't make sense.  

I have the model put out by HBO's Store and it tends to exaggerate the map locations sort of like how Greenland is distorted on a flat map.  

6 hours ago, idigTexas said:

While I'm generally a fan of the job he has done, the cinematographer can kindly eat a bag of dicks on this one.  No other episode has required high end devices with precisely calibrated settings in order to be able to follow the action.  It's not an insignificant percentage of viewership that is complaining.  I did watch the episode in the dark out of necessity, but if I want a full theater experience, I'll go to an actual theater or at least to a Surly one percenter's house.      

So I watched it on my normal settings, late with the lights off.  It was all wrong, but I could still follow most of the show.  I watched it in the default movie settings and I could see it in much better detail in the daytime with a bit of ambient light.    I tend to agree that the cinematographer fucked up and while it looked cool on the right settings, they could have lead with a message about changing the settings or better yet, said fuck it, and added more light. 

Heard an interesting take today "at the water cooler."  Since the last two episodes have not mentioned Cersei/King's Landing etc, the next episode will be what has been happening/is happening with that crew and that none of the Winterfell characters will be in the next episode.  I can't see that happening as all the main characters other than a select few are in Winterfell and not King's Landing, but I'm not the GOT expert.  It is an interesting thought/idea though.

This post perfectly encapsulates this thread, and its frustrating that the one faction of posters causing all of this consternation doesn't see it. You listened to a podcast whose opinion you agreed with- y'all think that episode was transcendent TV. I on the other hand share an opinion with the myriad of articles and podcasts and vloggers and surly posters who weren't blown away by the episode, who think it was the worst of the big battle episodes, and who feel very strongly that this episode strayed away from the very formula which made GoT great to begin with- that it more resembles a traditional bit TV/Hollywood battle scene/episode. 
The only difference is that the faction you represent absolutely cannot handle hearing and even want to disallow anyone else's opinion that doesn't match yours. "What do y'all have to be so fucking negative?!" "Why do y'all even watch?!" "Ugh, get out of this thread!" ( Its quite frustrating and yet also fascinating that the contentious, combative, belligerent faction of this thread thinks that it's the other faction that needs to be reprimanded/banned from the thread/blocked from voicing their opinion. everyone is allowed to have his/her own opinion, and it's nobody's fault but your own if you can't handle that.

It must suck going through life hating everything.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Did you steal the script for the sequel to Ready Player One and decide to leak it on this thread? Bold move. 

I think we’ve seen this show play with numbers for the entirety of its existence. This won’t be different. 

He didn't even have the dignity to give a reach around...errrr post spoilers

39 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

Heard an interesting take today "at the water cooler."  Since the last two episodes have not mentioned Cersei/King's Landing etc, the next episode will be what has been happening/is happening with that crew and that none of the Winterfell characters will be in the next episode.  I can't see that happening as all the main characters other than a select few are in Winterfell and not King's Landing, but I'm not the GOT expert.  It is an interesting thought/idea though.

Stills are out.  They definitely show the north characters.

I still think Jaime will do something to save Cersei. She is carrying his baby. It may be a doublecross or he may just try to talk people out of something at some point. But he’s definitely not all in on killing her. 

Really thought Jon was going to survive blue dragon fire, or even get killed by it. That would have cleared up the targeryan birthright issue. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

I still think Jaime will do something to save Cersei. She is carrying his baby. It may be a doublecross or he may just try to talk people out of something at some point. But he’s definitely not all in on killing her. 
Really thought Jon was going to survive blue dragon fire, or even get killed by it. That would have cleared up the targeryan birthright issue. 

Either Jamie or Tyrion are killing Cersei, my $ is on Jamie.
  • Like 2

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread