2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Reasonable people can disagree about the process for this latest coaching hire but if you hate on The Big Lebowski you can go fuck yourself. 

Any movie with Julianne Moore, especially if scantily clad, automagically gains the appellation "Great". 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

32 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Education: University of Washington, American Indian studies

Interesting choice of majors.  Have we ever recruited any Native American football players?  Not even sure if football is popular among Native Americans, but if there are maybe he could help in that area.

12 minutes ago, CosmoDog said:

This makes the Kenny Baker hire more palatable. Hook ‘em

No offense, but why do you say that?  He only has 3 years of experience actually coaching, the other 8 years have been as an analyst.

He's mostly worked under PK, so I think he's probably a good add, but Kenny's resume, as sparse as it may be is better than Huppert's.

1 minute ago, Gil Bang said:

I think showing tits, ass, and pussy qualifies as “scantily clad”.

391.gif

8 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Interesting choice of majors.  Have we ever recruited any Native American football players?  Not even sure if football is popular among Native Americans, but if there are maybe he could help in that area.

I know a Native American who was a TE in the USFL for the Memphis Showboats. He coaches a local HS team now. So, there's been at least one.

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

I am in no mood or shape to deal with anything’s 

IMG_4471.jpeg

…oh, and I’m of the “We’ll wait and see.” on the new DL coach hire, but at least we’re not where Michigan is when it comes to defensive hires.

Edited by Napoleon

7 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Hey @celebrityhottub please go on as to why you're butt hurt at my comment. We're all waiting for your in-depth answer.

Also, who the fuck are you? I see you have zero rep and aren't associated with Burnt Ends 

Awww, your spooning buddy @Burt Macklin came to your rescue. How sweet 

I negged you because you keep making stupid, off-topic posts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

Anyone worrying about Kenny B should relax and let him get the gift of recruiting blue chip recruits. He'll have a ton of guys that will help him until he gets going. Bobby and Rod are both high on him. 

Every job he's had he's jumped to bigger schools in like a year or two, minus his 3 years at WLU, a d then was so highly thought of that he landed the Dolphins gig and did extremely well. I bet this guy is the real deal, and it'll pay dividends. I trust Bobby's opinion more than anyone else in the industry (equal with Gerry). Let the recruits meet him, sell them that he can get them to the league with proof, has an NFL background, etc. If he can keep Brandon Brown, then he's earned it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, DixonHur said:

the dude on the trophy...that's the analyst's mission

ross_aaron_120706_300.jpg?width=1920qual

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Anyone worrying about Kenny B should relax and let him get the gift of recruiting blue chip recruits. He'll have a ton of guys that will help him until he gets going. Bobby and Rod are both high on him. 

Every job he's had he's jumped to bigger schools in like a year or two, minus his 3 years at WLU, a d then was so highly thought of that he landed the Dolphins gig and did extremely well. I bet this guy is the real deal, and it'll pay dividends. I trust Bobby's opinion more than anyone else in the industry (equal with Gerry). Let the recruits meet him, sell them that he can get them to the league with proof, has an NFL background, etc. If he can keep Brandon Brown, then he's earned it. 

Negged for “Kenny B”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Good fucking God. I got a half-day vacation and a permanent point for a tiny fraction of what you fuckers are doing. @blacklab either they all get the same or I lose mine.

Anyway. On-topic, I don't see why the hand-wringing over the DL coach. Do I need to remind y'all that we already have a very good DL coach on staff right now -- Pete Kwiatkowski himself. And yeah, they aren't all gonna be perfect hires.

Sark certainly seems to do a better job hiring on the offensive side of the ball, though.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, DixonHur said:

No offense, but why do you say that?  He only has 3 years of experience actually coaching, the other 8 years have been as an analyst.

He's mostly worked under PK, so I think he's probably a good add, but Kenny's resume, as sparse as it may be is better than Huppert's.

391.gif

We need a Sitting Bull at defensive tackle.  Sark is playing 4D chess.  

On 1/25/2024 at 11:08 AM, closetojumping said:

Played at Gardner Webb. 

Coaching gig at Berry College for a while.

Coached 5 years at Mercer. 

Coached a year at Chattanooga.

Coached 3 years at WKU.

Gets an assistant to the assistant gig at the Dolphins for a year.

Now he's replacing Bo Davis at one of the most important position coaching roles at a college blue blood.

Seems awesome. I expect this dude to fucking crush it. 

I assume this is sarcasm on second review but I actually like this hire. I read that he was super involved in the Dolphins DL last yeah and the results look pretty damn good to me. Top 10 total defense in the NFL, 97 rushing yards per game for the 6th overall in the NFL, 3.8 ypc against them, and 51 total sacks. That looks like a pretty damn solid season to me (but I admittedly don't know shit about the NFL so if I'm wrong, please correct me if I'm off base). Remember what Bo Davis' resume looked like before Saban?

I think it'll take recruits some time to get to know him but I think this has a chance to be an awesome hire

Edited by campcrunk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, campcrunk said:

I assume this is sarcasm on second review but I actually like this hire. I read that he was super involved in the Dolphins DL last yeah and the results look pretty damn good to me. Top 10 total defense in the NFL, 97 rushing yards per game for the 6th overall in the NFL, 3.8 ypc against them, and 51 total sacks. That looks like a pretty damn solid season to me (but I admittedly don't know shit about the NFL so if I'm wrong, please correct me if I'm off base). Remember what Bo Davis' resume looked like before Saban?

I think it'll take recruits some time to get to know him but I think this has a chance to be an awesome hire

Actually, after going through and re-reading some posts of the nameless users who agreed with me, my prior post is 100% wrong and this hire is going to be an unmitigated train wreck. 

Seriously though, despite my optimism, he's definitely a small name and unknown and I still would prefer Wright or even Okam (and Davis, of course). Someone else nailed it - I would prefer to not be miserable over one hire until the season starts. Will he work out? Maybe, maybe not. But I'm going to try to stay optimistic until shown otherwise even though I have ZERO idea how much he had to do with the Dolphins DL last year aside from 2 Miami fans saying that they like him. And, of course, we REALLY have no idea how he recruits??? He seems likable enough in the interviews I watched but, really, that doesn't REALLY mean all that much

In any case, I'm still going to stand by my trust in the guy who handpicked and hired Choice, Jackson, Davis, Banks, Flood, etc. I just hope I'm not overlooking a blemish on his record like trying backdoor Mike Stoops past the UT fanbase and continuing to employ a couple of substandard DB coaches... 

9 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

It's off-topic, and dumb on my part to question my benevolent overlord. 

You better watch what you say to blooch... you don't want to get challenged to a fist fight out front of surly headquarters. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I know nothing about Kenny Baker, but I'm betting that Sark and the staff look at "recruiters" differently with NIL. Now, it's not just you, your sleazeball personality, and a bag. Instead, there's a whole support operation behind you providing a major advantage over most schools and allowing you to be genuine in your recruiting efforts. Selling coaching and culture matters more in these days of NIL.

I also get the impression that Davis was a perfunctory recruiter. If Baker has more energy and is willing, I think we'll see dividends considering everything that is in place to support him.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Reese Bennett said:

I know nothing about Kenny Baker, but I'm betting that Sark and the staff look at "recruiters" differently with NIL. Now, it's not just you, your sleazeball personality, and a bag. Instead, there's a whole support operation behind you providing a major advantage over most schools and allowing you to be genuine in your recruiting efforts. Selling coaching and culture matters more in these days of NIL.

I also get the impression that Davis was a perfunctory recruiter. If Baker has more energy and is willing, I think we'll see dividends considering everything that is in place to support him.

The odds of Kenny Baker out recruiting Bo Davis at LSU over the next 3 years is basically zero

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Reese Bennett said:

I agree with this--I think the biggest differentiator will be development. Since everyone is now up-front about the money, it'll be about who can develop a player into a potential draft pick. Especially as some programs (like Texas) have a larger share of transfers as part of the 85-man roster that are poached from other programs.

1 minute ago, Spindletop said:

I agree with this--I think the biggest differentiator will be development. Since everyone is now up-front about the money, it'll be about who can develop a player into a potential draft pick. Especially as some programs (like Texas) have a larger share of transfers as part of the 85-man roster that are poached from other programs.

Wouldn't this mean someone like Davis who has a long history of developing dudes but is also not known for being super into recruiting more valuable in the future than he was say 2 years ago?

30 minutes ago, NoName said:

The odds of Kenny Baker out recruiting Bo Davis at LSU over the next 3 years is basically zero

A lot of other defensive line coaches have out recruited Bo over the last 3 years, why couldn't Baker?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Allegedly Baker's dad is/was the Chris Gilbert of Atlanta.  Atlanta is the only city producing NFL players more than Dallas and Houston.  The dude may or may not be the best DL coach but he has ties to recruit a talent-rich area.  Though he has only worked on the D Line for 10 years one might ask how he ascended to the league with the "limited" experience he has.  Either he is good or has great connections.  Either one will serve us well.  Let's hope its both.    

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Allegedly Baker's dad is/was the Chris Gilbert of Atlanta.  Atlanta is the only city producing NFL players more than Dallas and Houston.  The dude may or may not be the best DL coach but he has ties to recruit a talent-rich area.  Though he has only worked on the D Line for 10 years one might ask how he ascended to the league with the "limited" experience he has.  Either he is good or has great connections.  Either one will serve us well.  Let's hope its both.    

Those ties didn't help him get to the NFL. That’s why I am cautiously optimistic on the hire. ATL ties speak for themselves as far as the recruiting piece but someone clearly thought high enough of him to help develop NFL talent. If he can marry those two together at Texas the sky is the limit.