2023 All-Big 12 Awards/Honors

BurntOrange&White

Neither of the 1st Team RBs had a OL on the 1st or 2nd Team lists.

Interdasting, and no, none of the Tech OL remotely deserved it either.  It was more of a WOW  both RBs than begging the question of the OL picks.

I really have no issue with most of the choices. Gundy was picked to finish 7th and got his team into the champ game.  That was a good coaching job. 

Awesome for Sweat, Mitchell, Hill and Murphy.  Love it. 

MAYBE would have picked Bert over a punter for ST Player of the Year.  McNamara didn't even lead the conference in punting - Rehkow was almost 2 full yards per game higher on his average. Wtf.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I really have no issue with most of the choices. Gundy was picked to finish 7th and got his team into the champ game.  That was a good coaching job. 

MAYBE would have picked Bert over a punter for ST Player of the Year.  McNamara didn't even lead the conference in punting - Rehkow was almost 2 full yards per game higher on his average. Wtf.

Gundy is one of the better coaches in the Big 12, but they got skullfucked by South Alabama and UCF this year. Sark should've won it easily but whatever.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

List looks better than last year for sure, but sideshow got robbed. Guess they had all the votes in before last Friday...or that punter is Dicko level.

Gundy is one of the better coaches in the Big 12, but they got skullfucked by South Alabama and UCF this year. Sark should've won it easily but whatever.
Was about to point this out

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Jahdae was the best DB in the conference.

We should have another OL player at least on the 2nd team. 

Other than that - meh. Good to see Sweat get a bunch of recognition. 

I feel like our lack of usage of him hindered that. Until k state and after we were taking him off the field in packages

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I definitely think Barron should be 1st team, but Nickel is always discounted. Jones deserved to be on a team, but overall the list is far more reasonable to Texas players than I expected 

• Hook 'Em 5

Think Gabriel should have been offensive player of the year. I think Ewers should have been second team QB. Sark should have been coach of the year and Bert should have been Special Teams player of the year.

But I get it. I didn't expect OU and UT to get many favors. We did alright under the circumstances.

Just now, FloridaHorn said:

No Banks or Sanders on the 1st or 2nd team? 

Both are first team

Will Howard throws 10 interceptions, Ewers threw five. Howard completed 61% of his passes, Ewers completed 70%. Howard threw for 220 yards per game, Ewers threw for 271. 

Ewers QB Efficiency was 160, Howard was 140.

The only stat Howard has on Ewers is more TD passes. That's it.

But all those coaches would rather have Howard as their QB than Ewers? They think Howard had a better season than Ewers? Ewers only played 10 games and yet threw for more yards than Howard.

Ewers was clearly the second best QB in the conference after Gabriel. Just baffling decision by the coaches.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, theaveragejon said:

Gundy. What a joke. 

Look, I think Sark should win, but it is not some weirdly uncommon thing for a coach whose team was picked to finish outside the top 5 and ends up finishing in the top 2 or 3 to end up winning the award.

FOOTBALL - OSU picked 7th and finished 2nd.  
VOLLEYBALL - KU picked 5th and finished 2nd
SOCCER - Tech picked 5th and finished 1st

Texas was picked to finish 1st and finished 1st.  You don't often win the award for meeting expectations.  It ain't no Texas conspiracy.

Gundy took a team picked to finish 5th, who suffered a pretty bad loss to South Alabama, to a 7-2 record (2nd place) and a spot in the CCG.  That is pretty much a Coach of the Year type of thing.  

You know who won the B1G Coach of the Year? David Braun, whose Northwestern team was picked last in the West and finished (almost unanimously). They finished 2nd in the West.  Wayyy more deserving than Harbaugh, who was picked to win the conference and very likely will. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Sad that Hill he heading to College Station now /s

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I figured Ewers missing 2 full games (and some of UH) would affect his postseason honor by the Big 12 coaches.

I think Donovan Smith or Becht would have better choices than Howard if it was dependent on having played all 9 conference games.  Both had higher completion % than Howard and Smith had 1 more TD and Becht had the same amount. 

Howard did also score 6 TD rushing.  But Garrett Greene passed for 11 TDs and rushed for 12 TDs.  Maybe he is the one who got shafted. (I'm joking, he only hit 53% of his throws lol) 

(Also a great time to mention how absolutely ass the Big 12 stats site is) 

Edited by Js1

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Look, I think Sark should win, but it is not some weirdly uncommon thing for a coach whose team was picked to finish outside the top 5 and ends up finishing in the top 2 or 3 to end up winning the award.

Texas was picked to finish 1st and finished 1st.  You don't often win the award for meeting expectations.  It ain't no Texas conspiracy.

Gundy took a team picked to finish 5th, who suffered a pretty bad loss to South Alabama, to a 7-2 record (2nd place) and a spot in the CCG.  That is pretty much a Coach of the Year type of thing.  

You know who won the B1G Coach of the Year? David Braun, whose Northwestern team was picked last in the West and finished (almost unanimously). They finished 2nd in the West.  Wayyy more deserving than Harbaugh, who was picked to win the conference and very likely will. 

Harbaugh didn't coach in the last 3 conference games either. What a great example!

The last time the Big 12 COTY went to someone whose team didn't finish the season first was in 2019 to Rhule when Baylor finished T-1st & wasn't skull fucked in embarrassing fashion by 2 awful teams. Before that Campbell won it back to back years as he lead ISU from the basement dwellers they had been for a decade to respectable. It's not the end of the world, but it's a bullshit decision & it's spiteful & cost Sark $50k.

1 minute ago, ryskey said:

Ah yes, 32 personnel with 3 running backs lined up in the wishbone, a nightmare to defend, unless it's by the innovative 5-3-5 defense. Unstoppable force meets immovable object.

Who even has a Fullback anymore? Are Sinnot and Klotz the only two in the conference?

27 minutes ago, Js1 said:

By that logic Neal Brown should have won it. 

the last coach to not win it as 1st was Rhule at tied for first in like 2019? It’s not the end of the world, but it’s bullshit. 

Will Howard throws 10 interceptions, Ewers threw five. Howard completed 61% of his passes, Ewers completed 70%. Howard threw for 220 yards per game, Ewers threw for 271. 
But all those coaches would rather have Howard as their QB than Ewers? They think Howard had a better season than Ewers? Ewers only played 10 games and yet threw for more yards than Howard.
Ewers was clearly the second best QB in the conference after Gabriel. Just baffling decision by the coaches.
Agreed, but we're damn lucky we didn't get a repeat of last year's list.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Agree with this. Christian Jones or Jake Majors should have been selected on the second team. You could even make an argument for DJ Campbell since he really rounded into form by the time we hit conference play. 

38 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Going by this reasoning, why was Neal Brown who was expected to finish last not given the nod? He far exceeded expectations with his 8-4 record, 6-3 in the Big 12. Fucking coaches can't give it to the coaches that deserve it more.

4 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Going by this reasoning, why was Neal Brown who was expected to finish last not given the nod? He far exceeded expectations with his 8-4 record, 6-3 in the Big 12. Fucking coaches can't give it to the coaches that deserve it more.

Would have been an excellent choice. Guessing Gundy solely bc of the CCG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

availability.