Week 14, 2023, Texas v Washington, College Football Playoff Edition

Wulaw Horn

11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Lol. That’s not a complex play/concept at all. Hopefully UT can actually set the fucking edge for one, Oregon didn’t come close there. Someone needs to fly up and take on those pulling guards, keep outside arms free. I was a DB up through 9th grade, best one on team but quit to focus on baseball. Once I see that toss coming to my side I’m leaving the WR and forcing that RB back inside. Personally I would’ve stripped the ball and taken it 95 the other way. 

I laughed out loud when I watched and read it. Texas edge guys have done a great job turning these kinds of runs back inside to sweat and Murphy all year long. 

And inside runs get blown up on the reg. 

that Oregon interior got no penetration and the edge is 3 yards off the ball with no aggression to take on the blockers. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Roofle said:

The fuck is happening here?

Guy is saying he loves John Paxson despite Steve Kerr being a much better coach of the two game 6 Title winning Chicago Bulls Point Guards. I don't understand that, but it's an opinion.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Alien Octopus said:

Thought this was a term brought to us by the precursor of internet ie. Modems and interlinked BBS.

Child of the 70/80s and a terror on my Apple IIe 

pilate.gif

12 hours ago, troph said:

my view of the game:

1. Unpredictability factor - I think Texas is on schedule or a year early tbqh. This is uncharted territory for the entire team (5-7 / 8-5 / 12-1). That said, the leaders of this team are ballers and that includes a sophomore QB. But 18-22 year olds, who knows. A month to get cocky, a month to get motivated, a month to get in trouble, a month to get healthy, a month to scheme. Those are huge wild cards.  How will the kids respond? How will the coaches attack. PK can "dial up" some bad mother fucker schemes. See Alabama. Sark is a known quantity here. But tendencies matter and Sark has his issues with pedantic adherence to play calls like 4 straight runs at the 1 (insane no calls notwithstanding) against OU. We've had plenty of red zone problems. We did see changes against Tech and oSu on short yardage so that's a wildcard too. Another wild card - officiating. Texas will not have to deal with a Big 12 crew. That bodes very well for the Horns on both sides of the ball. All of this to say, I would not bet on this game, too many wildcards and unknowns when you really take a step back.

2. Texas run defense - game is over if we don't stop the run. Good news, no Texas fan should be worried. No one has run on Texas. The Horns have the top rated DT rotation in the country and Sweat has been so dominate he even made an appearance in the Heisman polling. Our stats show better for opponents than how the games really played out and yet Texas is still one of the best against the run. Washington fans think they will have no problem because "last year". Be confident, don't care, had sex last night. And don't care, everyone has said the same thing. Sweat is immovable. Murphy is a fucking machine. The speed on the edge and the scheme (as my pedestrian eyes see it) pushes the run back to the inside and the big guys eat it up. Ford and Ant Hill are great in supporting Sweat/Murphy and co. Could WA get their RBs in space on the outside? Sure. When they do, will they have success? Sure. Will they have success consistently in the run game, enough to rely on it? They could, but all statistical analysis, all game output to date suggests that is actually not likely.  I suspect Washington's coaching staff has a view more similar to ours than their fans.

3. Texas defense on first down // Texas defense on third down - I think this is where the game is decided.  if Washington stays ahead of the chains, Texas is in deep shit (same can be said for Washington's defense vs. Texas offense). And Washington will score points and will have several sustained drives and probably some big plays too. Each time that happens, discard, forget and line up again.  The game within the game is having enough opportunities to put the pressure on Penix (more so than he's used to and require that he alone perform). If Texas can get into obvious passing downs after stopping the run, then Hill, Sorrell, Burke can pin their ears back - and I think this group has what it takes to get their sacks. Texas gets more than 3 sacks (see Alabama / Texas had 5) and Texas is well on the way to a win. As for winning first down, I would expect at least 1/3 of the time, Texas can do this. Missed execution in the passing game (it will happen), run stuffed, penalty, sack, whatever it may be. 2/3 of the time I suspect Washington will have a solid gain, a run, pass, defensive penalty, etc. Will that be enough? Can Texas get into situational third and long and execute?  Executing on third and long and first and ten will require pressure and stopping the run. Let's see what happens, but situational opportunities will turn this game. The more third and longs we get, the better Texas will fare. So I will not only watch for third down conversion rates for Washington but maybe more importantly, how many third downs does Washington have to play from (and within that set how many are third and long). The more (to a degree) the better chance Texas has to stop them. That is the crux of the contest when it comes to Texas D vs. Washington O. 

4. Texas offense - Look, I've seen Washington play. They play physical defense... for a Pac-12 team. OU and Alabama are probably more physical than what Washington will bring (can't wait for idoits that know nothing about Texas OU to come in here telling me I'm wrong about that). And we aren't going to get any bonus points for "murderer's row" but we took everyone's best shot this year and once you get past the obvious OU and Alabama teams, teams like KSU and Iowa State, the core of that daunting gauntlet, are also physical football teams. Washington is a much better team than those two as an example, but physicality is just not something that is going to keep me up on this one.  Texas pass pro is legit, someone in the OL thread posted championship week we had 3 of the top 5 graded linemen - and that's with two sophomores, 1 junior and 2 seniors (check my math). Simply not worried at all. Doesn't mean it won't be a battle, but I think Washington will have to bring pressure to overwhelm the Texas OL in pass pro. If Washington gets 3-4 sacks, maybe. But that pressure will put Texas in a position to take advantage whether it's screens and runs or the long ball.  Texas will run the ball, Texas will pass the ball. QE and Baxter/Blue/KRob will get their yards and Texas will get its points. Where Texas can lose this on offense is the 3rd quarter disappearing Houdini act, or Quinn starting slow, or turnovers. But on paper, Texas O should cruise and score 35+ points.

5. Turnovers/special teams - This could help either team balance out the success or lack thereof on points 3 or 4. Texas gets a timely INT, it won't matter if Penix threw for 300 yards. Washington gets an INT it won't matter Texas defense was winning first down to get third and long.  Same with X on the punt returns, KRob on KO and punt block teams. I'm sure Washington will try to get theirs too.  Obviously a wild card as well.

6. Washington hurry up ? - will Washington try and emulate OU's offense with the no huddle hurry up? Quite frankly it's the only offense that has beaten Texas all year. If you can keep the Texas DL rotation from happening on schedule you can gas our DTs or keep Sweat/Murphy out of key downs. It will be interesting to see if Washington tries to change or just stays to their strength. Some have said they hurry up to the line to call the play but that's not the same as a full tilt hurry up offense. Could be another wild card factor.

I don't know who wins, I think points 1 and 5 (maybe 6) make it impossible to know. But when watching, to me it's about Texas defense creating as many third and longs as possible and on offense staying in attack mode and executing well. Texas wins third down like it has all year (best in the nation), Texas wins.  Penix converts on third downs more often than not - or better for him - avoids too many third downs all together and Washington wins.

Queue up Washington fans telling us Penix is all world, best third down passer in the history, Texas doesn't stand a chance, Washington will run for 250 yards, Texas is arrogant, fans are stupid, queers and steers, Sark is a drunk, whatever the fuck, don't care.

tl;dr

10 hours ago, WilburHooksHand said:

We have some edge kid that has been ruled ineligible all year coming eligible for the playoff. He’s never played a snap so im not going to crown him but he’s the all-practice “wait till this guy is allowed to play” champ so it should at least be interesting I guess.

OK, this guy can stay.

9 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

GIF by SHOWTIME

I Guess If You Say So GIF

8 hours ago, markstanco said:

A friend was on the field, here are a few pics:

409040028_10227494856889534_356265438730

408923971_10227494868809832_139905578910

408860097_10227494865409747_545566451837

408821150_10227494863089689_315665323792

408919460_10227494875530000_572809286221

408798414_10227494875009987_463135776730

These photos are amazing.

8 hours ago, NoName said:

this is the only thing to reference re: who is and isn't a blue blood

CFBbluebloods.jpeg

Between this and neckshit saying that Washington was a "destination job," that's a pretty strong argument that the Huskies are the Aggy of the PNW.

7 hours ago, WilburHooksHand said:

anyone telling you Washington is a blue blood is a homer, Washington is not a blue blood 

Yeah, EsophagealFeces or whatever the fuck his name was said as much.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I hope everyone on this board that thought I was a moron and a shitty poster has new perspective after this influx of huskies. 

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

27 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Disagree. They were a great team, top 7-10 in the nation, exactly where they are ranked. They would be an issue in all of the P5.

A "great team, top 7-10 in the nation," that almost lost to Texas Tech, a 6-6 team, ranked 7th in the conference, that we beat by 50.

Consider me... unconvinced.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, CoachTex said:

Simply put, he is a fucking moron. LBs read guards and it is simple.  Guard takes you to the play. 2nd, as wide as we play our ends/edges they will never get the reach block to seal that edge. A middle school LB can figure out ctr vs sweep in one step.

But he said lots of pre-snap movement to go with it!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CoachTex said:

Simply put, he is a fucking moron. LBs read guards and it is simple.  Guard takes you to the play. 2nd, as wide as we play our ends/edges they will never get the reach block to seal that edge. A middle school LB can figure out ctr vs sweep in one step.

They pull guards across the formation in both of those concepts. You know what blows up pulling guards? Penetrating DT, especially when they push the Center into the backfield. Now who might have DTs capable of doing that?

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

They pull guards across the formation in both of those concepts. You know what blows up pulling guards? Penetrating DT, especially when they push the Center into the backfield. Now who might have DTs capable of doing that?

I didn’t want to steal the thunder of the surly experts but even fans like me (observant but not X’s and O’s level) can see this guy is a dipshit. The edge in that clip is played nothing like the Texas line plays the edge and there was no interior DL penetration from the O defensive line.  Conversely Murphy and Sweat live in the backfield. Look, they’ll get a few runs, could even clear 100 on the ground with a lapse in execution giving up 20-25 in one play. but the idea that they are gonna run all over us all night with a toss sweep and the counter is pretty silly. I’m thought the smart ones in the room would agree.

Edited by troph

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

No lie, last year before the alamobowl someone on hardcore husky quoted you from over here as an example of a terrible take from a Texas fan. I had to explain to them that you were our resident idiot. So don't fret, your place in the hierarchy of internet dumb asses is secure. 

Wow. Thank you for standing up for me like that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I'm high so I'm gonna get in my feelings a little bit. Losing Sanders will be the biggest loss in a long ass time. Having that freak of nature got Texas to the CFP. His freakish catches, and he's gotten much better at blocking, his wing span, catch radius, we aren't finding a dude like him for a long time. That sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, troph said:

Okay so this is a play a guy on the husky board says will overwhelm Texas’ run defense. 

he says UW runs two primary run plays - the toss sweep and the counter. 

I’d wish this fella would come over to explain but they’ve sent the scout team so  the full post is here: 

IMG_3839.jpeg

have at it … 

tell me why he’s right, tell me why he’s wrong. 

That's not even a Sweep.  It's PnP Burst Toss.

Edited by JBJ

College Football Playoff preview -- Michigan vs. Alabama, Washington vs. Texas - ESPN

New Orleans will be the unlikely site to see Texas coach Steve Sarkisian reunited with the program, Washington, he led for five seasons before leaving for USC. Both teams won titles in their final seasons in their respective conferences, Texas in the Big 12 and Washington in the Pac-12, before realignment moves them to the SEC and Big Ten next year.

In two seasons at Washington, coach Kalen DeBoer has taken the Huskies to new heights, winning 24 of 26 games as they head to the playoff with a national-best 20-game winning streak. Sarkisian's turnaround in Austin didn't happen overnight, but it has taken him just three seasons to restore the Longhorns as a national power. The game will feature two of the nation's top quarterbacks in Washington's Michael Penix Jr. and Texas' Quinn Ewers.

Washington (13-0)

Key player: WR Rome Odunze
Even as quarterback Michael Penix Jr. generated Heisman Trophy consideration, Odunze has always been the Huskies' best player. Whenever the team has needed a big play, Odunze has gotten the call. It happened, most notably, in the final minutes against Oregon in the regular season, when he hauled in the game-winning touchdown. Then it happened again in the Apple Cup when he took an end around to pick up a monumental first down on fourth-and-1 from the Huskies' 29-yard line. Odunze finished the regular season No. 4 in the country in receiving yards (1,326), No. 6 in receiving touchdowns (13) and is sure to be one of the first receivers off the board in the 2024 NFL draft.

X factor: RB Dillon Johnson
As teams devoted more effort to stopping the Huskies' prolific passing offense as the season went along, Johnson became a more valuable asset. He rushed for 615 of his 961 regular-season yards over the last five games, with seven touchdowns in that span. The Mississippi State transfer ran 28 times for 152 yards and two scores to help take down the Ducks on Friday night and should be a key factor in this game.

How Washington wins: Penix finds his early-season form
At the halfway point of the season, Penix was the clear Heisman front-runner. He had the numbers. He passed the eye test. There wasn't anything, it seemed, that could slow him down. But as the season went along, something felt off. He was still good enough to lead the Huskies to a 12-0 mark and ranked No. 2 in passing yards (3,899), but his accuracy regressed and the big plays weren't as plentiful. When he's at his best, though, Washington can beat anyone, as evidenced by the Huskies' 34-31 win over the Ducks on Friday, when Penix threw for 319 yards and a score. -- Kyle Bonagura

251.png&h=60&w=60Texas (12-1)

Key player: DL T'Vondre Sweat
Sweat came back for a super senior year to try to help Texas complete its turnaround. It's fair to say that decision has been a massive success, as Sweat became a force in the interior as the Big 12 defensive player of the year and helped the Longhorns win the conference championship. At 6-4 and 362 pounds, Sweat is literally a massive piece of the Texas defense. But as big as he is, he's so quick and agile that he wreaks havoc even on passing plays, despite having just two sacks on the season, because he draws so much attention that it frees up other players, including 6-1, 308-pound Byron Murphy II, who plays next to Sweat and was the league's defensive lineman of the year. In the conference championship, Sweat even added a touchdown reception and a Heisman pose. The man contains multitudes.

X factor: TE Ja'Tavion Sanders
With the addition of Adonai Mitchell as a receiving threat opposite Xavier Worthy, Sanders has seen a dip in his production, with a few nagging injuries also a factor. Last season, he caught 54 passes for 613 yards and 5 TDs; this year he settled for 31 catches, 502 yards and one score in the regular season. But at 6-4, 243, Sanders is a nightmare matchup for linebackers and a big target for quarterback Quinn Ewers. He can be a key outlet, particularly near the goal line, where Texas has struggled for most of the season, ranking 104th nationally in red zone offense. Sanders averaged 4.2 catches per game last year, down to 2.6 this year. Entering the Big 12 championship game, he'd caught five passes in a game only twice this year, and both times he went over 100 yards, including 114 yards against Alabama. But against Oklahoma State on Saturday, he had a season-high eight catches for 105 yards and a touchdown. Sanders could be the cure for the Longhorns' woes in the end zone if they keep him going, particularly with Worthy's ankle injury suffered against OSU adding concern.

How Texas wins: The offensive line protects Quinn Ewers
The Longhorns have the heft along both lines to match up with pretty much anyone, but with Jonathon Brooks, who had 1,138 yards in 10 games, lost for the season, they'll have to find a back to make the running game a factor. But it will take a strong performance from quarterback Quinn Ewers and the passing game to key the Texas attack. If the offensive line can protect Ewers and keep him upright, the Longhorns have the speed to make big plays on the outside, and the offense has shown the potential to deliver when it's needed most. -- Dave Wilson

• Prepare your anus 1

3 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'm high so I'm gonna get in my feelings a little bit. Losing Sanders will be the biggest loss in a long ass time. Having that freak of nature got Texas to the CFP. His freakish catches, and he's gotten much better at blocking, his wing span, catch radius, we aren't finding a dude like him for a long time. That sucks. 

I agree, but Helm is also pretty good. Having him come back for his senior year is going to set us up pretty well at the position. I wouldn’t be opposed to a portal / grad transfer at the position since it doesn’t seem like any of the other sophomores or juniors have stepped up though.

16 hours ago, hook me said:

Unfortunately for us, Ewers has walked himself into several sacks vs. 3 & 4 man fronts since his return. I think he was just protecting his shoulder as much as possible, but he wasn't nearly as willing to run as he was early in the season & the 1 time he did vs OSU he missed the next play with an injury. Hopefully the month off allows his shoulder to fully heal & to gain confidence in being able to take off to get a first down when it's needed. If Ewers starts feeling phantom pressure then it's going to be a long night.

Definitely true when Ewers initially returned. Not so much the last 2 weeks (Texas Tech and Oklahoma State). 

A big reason why teams had more issues getting pressure the last 2 weeks is 21 personnel. When you have 2 RBs running in different directions it requires more gap integrity instead of just running like a wild man upfield. 

In the Tech game, they had to pretty much abandon getting upfield because 1) Their LBs were guessing the wrong direction of the run play. 2) There were big gaps from the DL because they were trying to get pressure. That's a recipe for disaster when defending the run. 

• Hook 'Em 1

They really are moist aggy

image.png.66f46634ca16e4be2e95065ca673df26.png

To be fair that ends in 2021. They have spent most of the last two years in the poll and a big chunk of this year in the top 5. They are at least to the right of aggy through 2023 I’d think.

But clearly they’re not sending their best to surly.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, sushihorn said:

Yep looks like they are using uncovered rule and down blocking with the playside tackle.  Of course, interior pressure curshes all pullers.  

8 hours ago, troph said:

But he said lots of pre-snap movement to go with it!!

Yes pre-snap motion of guards really can screw up reads for linebackers. Just wait till they show their center pre-snap shift.

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, CoachTex said:

2nd, as wide as we play our ends/edges they will never get the reach block to seal that edge. 

PK's defensive scheme wants teams to run to the perimeter. Matter of fact, he baits them into doing it. 

Nothing would please Texas more than Washington running a bunch of toss sweeps. It's going to lead to a lot of negative plays with the way Texas 1) plays their edges  2) Plays their corners. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

PK's defensive scheme wants teams to run to the perimeter. Matter of fact, he baits them into doing it. 

Nothing would please Texas more than Washington running a bunch of toss sweeps. It's going to lead to a lot of negative plays with the way Texas 1) plays their edges  2) Plays their corners. 

Yep, edges play a lot of spill and wrong sholder on ctr.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't think Washington has the horses to stop our offense (especially in the secondary). They're a slightly better Oklahoma State on defense. We can score 30+ on this defense with no problem if Sark has the right mentality. 

I don't see Washington running on us. Nobody has been able to run on us all year. I don't expect that to change with the way PK schemes things and our DTs. 

This game comes down to 1 thing. Can our DBs cover Washington's WRs? The key point here is we just need to slow down their WRs. Don't get absolutely torched. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

I agree, but Helm is also pretty good. Having him come back for his senior year is going to set us up pretty well at the position. I wouldn’t be opposed to a portal / grad transfer at the position since it doesn’t seem like any of the other sophomores or juniors have stepped up though.

Yep, Helm has come up huge in big moments, too. But, he's not a freak, tho. Guys like him don't come around and pan out that often. I'd like to one day hit on a 4 star that turns like Bowers and Kyle Pitts (both 4 stars). I'm serious, but Sark needs to target whoever Iowa targets. Just like with Utah and their evaluations, Sark needs to look at Iowa for TE. They have so many first rounders it's disgusting. 

9 minutes ago, NoName said:

running play cut ups from the Oregon game

its probably 10+ cuts

he has a lot of Texas cuts too but most of those are 1 offs and not in a single thread

and just for fun, because who doesn't want to see the Go-Go take over CFB?

Gapping holes in the middle of the O defense on many of those runs. Washington will get yards but if they think they are blowing the Texas D line off the ball like that then they are dumber than their C team message board fans. Jesus. 

I have no expectation that Washington is planning their offense against Texas around the running game. They’ll try to keep Texas honest but I would expect a near abandonment of the run before they just stubbornly pledge allegiance to the running game.

Jesus O’s run defense looks bad. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

If Washington's gameplan in this one is to run the ball a lot they aren't winning. 

Their path to victory is to torch our secondary. 

For sure. KSU got back in it by nearly abandoning the run. It’s infuriating to watch a young and injured secondary waste that dominate run D and just let a guy pass down the field at will. With some health and time to plan I think Texas has a shot but if I’m predicting - as of today I expect the L.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, troph said:

For sure. KSU got back in it by nearly abandoning the run. It’s infuriating to watch a young and injured secondary waste that dominate run D and just let a guy pass down the field at will. With some health and time to plan I think Texas has a shot but if I’m predicting - as of today I expect the L.

I think Washington will put up some points and yards but I'm not predicting a L.

Their secondary can't cover our WRs/TE. This play is a microcosm of their D. Only rush 3 with zero pressure and then they lack athleticism on the back end. 

Good Lord most of this thread is a beating.  I lived in Seattle for several years and have some close UW friends who would be embarrassed this is the best they're bringing to our board.  Really shit effort overall.

I expect UW will be the hardest matchup we've had this year.  I'm not sure as a team they're better than Bama, but in terms of where we're most vulnerable they'll present the biggest challenge we've faced.  They have excellent coaching and skill position players, with a month to scout and prepare just like us.

These UW fans showing up like we don't understand/believe they'll be good are fucking dumb.  It's the fucking playoffs, everyone will be good.  That's what makes it exciting.

I haven't been this amped for a game for a long time.  Glad we have a few more weeks of (hopefully) substantive football discussion leading up to the game.

wayward pines GIF

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Definitely true when Ewers initially returned. Not so much the last 2 weeks (Texas Tech and Oklahoma State). 

A big reason why teams had more issues getting pressure the last 2 weeks is 21 personnel. When you have 2 RBs running in different directions it requires more gap integrity instead of just running like a wild man upfield. 

In the Tech game, they had to pretty much abandon getting upfield because 1) Their LBs were guessing the wrong direction of the run play. 2) There were big gaps from the DL because they were trying to get pressure. That's a recipe for disaster when defending the run. 

It happened 2 or 3 times during the TTU game, maybe not so much the OSU game but I was mostly drunk during that one so I don't remember.

Our red zone defense is going to be the key factor here. PK has shown a willingness to give up yards but get stingy about points down in the red zone. Don’t give up any long plays, make them earn everything they get, get pressure and sacks with an honest box.

offensively, don’t force the run or pass. If you need to throw it 40 times and we are moving the ball you have to be merciless. Don’t force the run when it’s not needed. 

Penix looked very pedestrian against us last year, if he has a similar day they  are fucked. Texas Offense will be able to put pressure on their defense this time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think Washington will put up some points and yards but I'm not predicting a L.

Their secondary can't cover our WRs/TE. This play is a microcosm of their D. Only rush 3 with zero pressure and then they lack athleticism on the back end. 

What can I say I have PTSD.

I’m looking at the over stats and will say our secondary has been opportunistic - they aren’t just bad they are inconsistent. So if the inconsistency plays out to not bite us in the ass and lead to a +1 or +2 in turnover margin (and I’ll count 4th down stops the same) then we definitely are on our way. That is not hope without reason.

Texas is 27th at 0.5+ (per game) in TO margin, Washington is 61st at basically break even.

Washington has 10 INTs on the year and 7 lost fumbles. They’ve only recovered 2 fumbles and have 16 INTs on defense.

Texas has given up 9 INTs (fuck those 2 to OU ugh) and 7 lost fumbles. Texas has 16 INTs and 13 fumble recoveries. 

Team average stats suggest Texas will be positive on turnovers and Washington stats suggest breakeven. But both teams average more than 1 TO per game to their detriment. Something has to give. 

the big surprise would be Washington recovering a fumble. Texas RBs don’t seem to let the ball out. Both teams take care of the ball passing so any INT will be huge. Texas gets a fumble great - an INT or two and hell yeah. 

10 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

Our red zone defense is going to be the key factor here. PK has shown a willingness to give up yards but get stingy about points down in the red zone. Don’t give up any long plays, make them earn everything they get, get pressure and sacks with an honest box.

offensively, don’t force the run or pass. If you need to throw it 40 times and we are moving the ball you have to be merciless. Don’t force the run when it’s not needed. 

Penix looked very pedestrian against us last year, if he has a similar day they  are fucked. Texas Offense will be able to put pressure on their defense this time. 

Potentially 4th down defense too. I said in my long cat that WA will get yards and big plays. Short term memory is required. All Texas has to do is put together a solid 3 plays in a row in Washington territory and 4 in a row on our side of the field. Each set of downs is another opportunity for that set. there’s a lot of ways it can play out, stop the run, incomplete pass, busted execution by WA, solid D, penalty. Take what we can get but put together 3-4 plays in a row and the rest doesn’t matter.

We need probably 3-4 of those. That’s it. Get them behind the chains on first, stingy up on third (and fourth if applicable), and everything else including points and methodical drives and passes for long gains just don’t fucking matter.

Give me 3-4 quality series on defense and a +1 TO margin and I think Texas wins. 

Edited by troph

3 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Rod Babers was just talking about Zack Derfee, an edge transfer at Washington.  He wasn’t allowed to play all year because of the NCAA but will play in the playoffs.  

WA boards aren’t sure if he will be in the game fully or just special teams. Definitely a wildcard.

• Pancho locked this topic
  • Pancho unlocked this topic