Cloak Room Sucks

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Respectfully I disagree. I know myself, and probably @Brisketexan often point out how fucking terrible the Democrats are at most simple acts of government, or not shitting their pants when handed an easy layup. Maybe I’m wrong, or biased, but I’d love to see some evidence to the contrary. 

Happening right now in the immigration thread. Go read it. Not only will no one say that the administration isn’t handling it well, they’ve turned it around to make the problem 100% the republicans fault, including Brisketexan, a smart poster. 

And even more worrisome is that we have a few posters who are pretty reasonable thinkers on other topics advocating for allowing anyone from anywhere to just come into the country, no matter the volume of people or the legality of it. 50 million illegals crossing over tomorrow? No problem according to them.  

Republicans rightly get criticized for throwing around the stupid term “open borders”, but we’ve got two posters advocating for just that. It’s bizarre.

And while the Republicans are certainly not helping solve the problem with this administration, that doesn’t mean Democrats are blameless. It’s ridiculous.   People need to self reflect more. 

If you’re envisioning a place where you can wander in and make pants-shitting comments about Biden without eliciting comparison to the nation’s most diaper wearingest pants shittingest president since post-gunshot Reagan (also, the current front runner for the republican nomination), what you are imagining is called a safe space.

If you have some specific example of entering a conversation with thoughtful criticism of Biden and getting rebuffed with whataboutism, bring it up. I think mostly you’re probably thinking of jumping into threads and lazily parroting whatever right wing media takes you’ve passively ingested, and again you’re looking for a safe space or a right wing echo chamber if you feel that should be greeted with agreement and very serious nods and rep.

I don’t have to post any examples. I just quoted one is this thread. If I say Biden is too old, the first 5 posts will be about how Trump is the same age. If I were to say anything about Hunter, the first 5 posts would be about Hunter’s dong and the next 5 would be about Trump’s kids. I don’t care to start every post with “yes, I realize Trump was a terrible president and an awful human being” to talk about politics. Maybe we can make a rule where everyone just acknowledges that going forward?

And I am not echoing anything I’ve seen or heard. I don’t watch the news for anything other than the weather. I also never click on any “political” news story on a news site. I only click for any breaking news or a story about a particular event.

If you talk about Biden’s senility or his shithead kid, Trump’s identical problems are relevant. You are looking for a safe space.

I’m not looking for a safe space unless I am somehow supporting Trump, which I am not. Why does mentioning that Biden is old warrant a “so is Trump” post? I’d prefer that neither of them run and that we have an actual viable choice.
  • Haha 1

All the idiots posting in this thread are just proving the OP's points. What a bunch of losers. Embarrassing.  You can only have one opinion in the Cloak Room otherwise the little pussies will neg and cancel you. Now it's in the Daily Texan. It's a liberal circle jerk in the Elon Musk thread.   My God, we have the worst president in history right now and all these idiots want to do is complain about Trump.  How's that border looking idiots? You going to be cheering when the next 911 happens? I guess a big part of it is that it's free. You don't see this many out of touch losers on the pay boards when it comes to politics. The Cloak Room is nothing but a toxic dump as proven on this thread.

• Haha 3
  • Fuck You 8

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

I’m not looking for a safe space unless I am somehow supporting Trump, which I am not. Why does mentioning that Biden is old warrant a “so is Trump” post? I’d prefer that neither of them run and that we have an actual viable choice.

Because of the way that social media political messaging works, because the nature and reality of our political system, and because we don’t and won’t have a young smart non traitor candidate this cycle.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, GlobalWarming2478 said:

All the idiots posting in this thread are just proving the OP's points. What a bunch of losers. Embarrassing.  You can only have one opinion in the Cloak Room otherwise the little pussies will neg and cancel you. Now it's in the Daily Texan. It's a liberal circle jerk in the Elon Musk thread.   My God, we have the worst president in history right now and all these idiots want to do is complain about Trump.  How's that border looking idiots? You going to be cheering when the next 911 happens? I guess a big part of it is that it's free. You don't see this many out of touch losers on the pay boards when it comes to politics. The Cloak Room is nothing but a toxic dump as proven on this thread.

You should list out in the Biden thread why you think he’s the worst president in history because my perspective is that he’s been a pretty good president overall, and I’m not a Democrat. Let’s see what your list looks like. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

You should list out in the Biden thread why you think he’s the worst president in history because my perspective is that he’s been a pretty good president overall, and I’m not a Democrat. Let’s see what your list looks like. 

You have got to be joking. You happy with the border? He should be impeached for that alone. Name one good thing he's done.  He's worse than Obama, LBJ, and even Jimmy Carter.

• Haha 4
  • Fuck You 4

2 hours ago, Hate said:

And this whole post proves my point. I didn’t even criticize Biden and all you did was “but Trump” your way through this entire post.

I mean, no he didn't man. He laid it out pretty clearly. You are basically just looking from a place that's free from criticizing your posts. Which hey, that's a valid desire, but that is what is definitely what's going on.

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, GlobalWarming2478 said:

Name one good thing he's done.

If you are immortal, I remember how much you liked your Trump accomplishment lists. So, here goes:

- Record low unemployment; economy doing great

- Record highs in the stock market 

- Record high for domestic oil production

- Effectively made smoking weed legal at a federal level

- Dramatically weakened Russia and embarrassed them globally without firing a shot 

- Actually (finally) kept our word about leaving Afghanistan, messy or otherwise

Presidents are 100% responsible for these things, correct? At least that's what I learned under Trump.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

54 minutes ago, GlobalWarming2478 said:

You could have saved time and just posted “Trump 2024.”

1 hour ago, G650 said:

I mean, no he didn't man. He laid it out pretty clearly. You are basically just looking from a place that's free from criticizing your posts. Which hey, that's a valid desire, but that is what is definitely what's going on.

Once again, I am not looking for a safe space.  I'm not going to be posting much if at al in there anyway.  I am only curious why every criticism of the current administration has to be followed up with "but Trump" every time and you've seen it just in response to my statement.  I don't give a shit about Trump and hope I never have to again. 

7 minutes ago, Hate said:

Once again, I am not looking for a safe space.  I'm not going to be posting much if at al in there anyway.  I am only curious why every criticism of the current administration has to be followed up with "but Trump" every time and you've seen it just in response to my statement.  I don't give a shit about Trump and hope I never have to again. 

It keeps being explained to you but you are aren’t comprehending the answers 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Hate said:

Because Biden represents the Blue Team and Trump represents the Red Team. Welcome to Politics 

I agree with you. Both are too old and neither should be allowed to run due to age limits. But we don’t live in King Neon’s land of rules 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Happening right now in the immigration thread. Go read it. Not only will no one say that the administration isn’t handling it well, they’ve turned it around to make the problem 100% the republicans fault, including Brisketexan, a smart poster. 

And even more worrisome is that we have a few posters who are pretty reasonable thinkers on other topics advocating for allowing anyone from anywhere to just come into the country, no matter the volume of people or the legality of it. 50 million illegals crossing over tomorrow? No problem according to them.  

Republicans rightly get criticized for throwing around the stupid term “open borders”, but we’ve got two posters advocating for just that. It’s bizarre.

And while the Republicans are certainly not helping solve the problem with this administration, that doesn’t mean Democrats are blameless. It’s ridiculous.   People need to self reflect more. 

I will go read it.

Okay, I just read the pages from this year. Here is the issue. No one is agreeing with your interpretation of the issue. That’s okay. That’s life. Either try to understand why they’re disagreeing with you, or don’t. I always lean towards trying to learn more

If you think in that thread “the CR” is refusing to criticize the administration, I would posit maybe you’re not understanding everyone’s position correctly. 

That’s the nicest way I can say that 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Hate said:

It doesn't. The leftists criticize Biden more than anyone else in there. And his post wasn't remotely but Trump, you are reading that into it. He had a couple sentences out of a long winded ass post.

58 minutes ago, Hate said:

Safe place snowflake. Make a valid argument or shut the fuck up.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I will go read it.

Okay, I just read the pages from this year. Here is the issue. No one is agreeing with your interpretation of the issue. That’s okay. That’s life. Either try to understand why they’re disagreeing with you, or don’t. I always lean towards trying to learn more

If you think in that thread “the CR” is refusing to criticize the administration, I would posit maybe you’re not understanding everyone’s position correctly. 

That’s the nicest way I can say that 

The information in there is black and white. Hayden Horn and Hobbes2702, 2 smart posters, made it crystal clear in their posts that they believe all should be let in, even if it means that a wave of millions more come as a result of letting them in. 50 million illegal immigrants want to come in? Sure. Do it. It is right there in black and white. I’ll say this as nicely as I can. I don’t  understand why you weren’t able to read that. 

There's been 10-15mm undocumented immigrants in this country for 40 years, across multiple administrations.  Open borders, closed borders, doesn't matter.  They come via border crossings, they overstay visas and miss their return flights.  

Wanna know how the number is almost always the same year-over-year despite political party?  Because the people coming here are people.  They die, they give birth, and they often just go home after awhile.  We use cheap, skilled immigrant labor because it's convenient and we make you scared that they're coming to rape your wives and poison your children.  CR and DT doesn't know what the fuck it's talking about.  You're scared because we tell you to be scared.  Mass migration at the "open borders" is a problem because you were told it is's a problem.  

I sit and laugh picturing some posters on here thinking that these folks cross the river illegally and then just sort of continue on to points north and west and east in rented cars with no documents and little English speaking.  I mean, yeah---we read the stories of them walking through ranches in South Texas.  But how the fuck do you think they get to Dallas or Chicago or Boston or Seattle or Saint Louis?  How do you think they send remittances?  How do they move about the country, how do the drugs get to their final wholesaler, how does the money move across borders, how do they get back home?  A machine setup decades ago by people you think are anti-immigration.  It's always been this way and it will always be that way and you will always vote out of fear because that's what sheep do.  Accept your lesser roles and life will be much easier.  

• Hook 'Em 4

47 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

The information in there is black and white. Hayden Horn and Hobbes2702, 2 smart posters, made it crystal clear in their posts that they believe all should be let in, even if it means that a wave of millions more come as a result of letting them in. 50 million illegal immigrants want to come in? Sure. Do it. It is right there in black and white. I’ll say this as nicely as I can. I don’t  understand why you weren’t able to read that. 

In my opinion, some are their posts were not conducive to easy communication, but I replied with my opinion trying to breach the disconnect. I’m sorry if I offended you with my previous post, it was certainly not my intent. 

Your post does illuminate a common issue with communication and comprehension in general, which is only magnified by the format of anonymous message board posts 

Take the post 

“Why not let them all in?” In reference to the immigration issue. 

You read that post and presumably saw red. The idea of letting in all immigrants is beyond comprehension. In fact, in this thread you have used it as an example the CR is unreasonable. The post meant only one thing. It’s black and white. The issue, is that’s not true. Comprehension is entirely subjective 

When I read that post, however, I had a different comprehension entirely. thought about what the poster was trying to communicate. What would be the harm? What are the reasons we can’t? What is stopping us? Do we have the resources? Are immigrants unwanted for some reason? What point is he asking the question for? 

I don’t actually believe they want 50 million immigrants. I just believe they want to have a functioning immigration system. I also believe they were trying to point out that immigration isn’t a negative. (They probably could have used more words or been more direct). Is too much immigration a negative? That’s a valid question. 

CR is the board where definitive declarations must be supported by reputable reporting, or opinion clearly identified as such. It is where reputable reporting is challenged, with substantive criticism. Folks wanting to post unsupported talking points are met with negative consequences. Folks who claim otherwise are misinformed.

IMO, the real beef with CR is that the above structure is not hospitable to R narratives. And that is unacceptable to Surly posters who don’t want the R narrative exposed, who don’t want the D narrative posted, who can’t ignore the board, who refuse to use the ignore function, and who cannot scroll past posts they prefer not to read. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Hate said:

I wish it was different too. I think I can criticize Biden pretty easily, Trump is a whole other level. I think non responsive retorts are lame, but it’s what happens with “team” politics. I’m a bit of a boomerang CR poster for that reason, in and out. I’ll stay away for weeks if not months then get back into it. In the end I want us to advance as a country and a planet. Whataboutism won’t do it.

Awesome.  I’m a former poster on ancestral boards, created an account to post in a thread @immamacstarted in $9.95, seemingly to solicit honest feedback about what plagues him, he segregates my comments in a new thread I didn’t title, and I get negged into oblivion by @PenelopeWitherspoonand other cunts like her. 

I’m at the Ritz in the Quarter, beyond pissed about what I witnessed tonight down the street. I don’t know most of you in real life, and so for the people monitoring this thread, you can go fuck yourselves. 

15 minutes ago, BP44 said:

Awesome.  I’m a former poster on ancestral boards, created an account to post in a thread @immamacstarted in $9.95, seemingly to solicit honest feedback about what plagues him, he segregates my comments in a new thread I didn’t title, and I get negged into oblivion by @PenelopeWitherspoonand other cunts like her. 

I’m at the Ritz in the Quarter, beyond pissed about what I witnessed tonight down the street. I don’t know most of you in real life, and so for the people monitoring this thread, you can go fuck yourselves. 

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

On 12/28/2023 at 11:32 PM, Willfully Horn said:

Edited to ask, and see if you’ll answer:

Was the Presidential election of 2020 stolen? 

Absolutely not. Thanks for negging all my posts. I’ll log out now, never to return. Penelope is a cunt. 

I know after a long holiday of day drinking and Texas football in a the Big Easy, my first thought is always to complain online about the politics of seven people I’ve never met.  

Don’t ban this guy, please.  Can’t wait to see what this guy has cooked up for Fat Tuesday.  
“I can still be drunk on oysters and bourbon, sniffing blow off Jennifer Aniston’s taint if Mike Pence had the courage to do what’s right!”

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Posting on this thread from the French Quarter to cry victim about people monitoring this thread is extremely on brand. What a bitch.

15 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I know after a long holiday of day drinking and Texas football in a the Big Easy, my first thought is always to complain online about the politics of seven people I’ve never met.  

Don’t ban this guy, please.  Can’t wait to see what this guy has cooked up for Fat Tuesday.  
“I can still be drunk on oysters and bourbon, sniffing blow off Jennifer Aniston’s taint if Mike Pence had the courage to do what’s right!”

The amount of people that care about rep in this place is fucking hysterical.  Amazingly, these all seem to be MAGA types who talk about the pussification of America.  Their warped sense of reality and belief in what is right is absolutely mind blowing.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, BP44 said:

clearly rex/porterhouse/whatever the fuck else.  no one else is a big enough douche to work so fucking hard at projecting such a pathetic caricature.

On 12/30/2023 at 11:16 PM, Willfully Horn said:

CR is the board where definitive declarations must be supported by reputable reporting, or opinion clearly identified as such. It is where reputable reporting is challenged, with substantive criticism. Folks wanting to post unsupported talking points are met with negative consequences. Folks who claim otherwise are misinformed.

IMO, the real beef with CR is that the above structure is not hospitable to R narratives. And that is unacceptable to Surly posters who don’t want the R narrative exposed, who don’t want the D narrative posted, who can’t ignore the board, who refuse to use the ignore function, and who cannot scroll past posts they prefer not to read. 

this is very well put.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, sidis said:

clearly rex/porterhouse/whatever the fuck else.  no one else is a big enough douche to work so fucking hard at projecting such a pathetic caricature.

this is very well put.

yeah, the tone and specific words used are pretty identical to a back and forth i had with him a couple years ago. i can't always recognize our serial ragers but he def stands out.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/30/2023 at 4:58 PM, GlobalWarming2478 said:

Worst president in history?  Are you fucking kidding?

• Haha 1

On 12/30/2023 at 4:58 PM, GlobalWarming2478 said:

I'm going to bet everything I own.  And everything I can beg, borrow, or steal that you started most of your holiday party conversations with "You know...as a student of history."  Maybe it's just internet hyperbole, lord knows I'm guilty of it.  But this is beyond an insane take.  I think Biden probably ends up middle-of-the-road, but who knows what this 4th year will hold for his administration.  All I know is yes, there's probably a little too much blind cheerleading for him.  But I give him more credit with each passing day for deftly handling the shit hand he was dealt by Trump.  To be fair, I won't exhaust this thread with my takes on Trump...you're right, plenty of that in the CR.

But to say that Biden is "the worst President in history" simply demonstrates, that if you're being honest, then your grasp of history if far, far off.  You are likely poorly educated and seek validation from other stupid people.  That you have never taken the time read even a paragraph about Andrew Johnson, Warren Harding, James Buchanan, John Tyler, or Calvin Coolidge.  You likely may not even know anything about Richard Nixon.  I know the old adage, "I'm too busy to read about history, but I know the truth when I see it."  If that keeps you warm at night, fine.  But just know you really shouldn't talk to other adults in the room unless it's a CPAC convention.  You're quite likely one of the dumber ones in the room.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/30/2023 at 5:07 PM, Dbeasy said:

Here's the thing.  I'm not sure about open borders, myself.  Seems problematic, but I can't be sure.  I'm not going to call its advocates looney tunes, but I can have a legit disagreement about it. 

That said, Trump's policies at the border were cruel:  they mostly eliminated the possibility of asylum, separated families and mistreated minors, and criminalized what has rarely if ever been treated as a crime (first immigration offense).

Yes, Trump's policies were pretty effective at deterring people from showing up at the border and making it across.  The mere fact that anyone other than Trump was president and mitigated the cruelty meant we were going to have an influx of immigrants at our borders.

But being effective is not an excuse for cruelty.  I also don't think high immigration numbers are going to have an immediate adverse effect on the country.  The idea that they are a net drag is just not factual, at least in the foreseeable short term.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

He appears to have feet that are size appropriate to a man of his stature.  But yeah, the hands thing is weird.  Maybe they just look small because he wears cartoonishly large jackets and french cuff shirts that make his hands look small by comparison.  i think he also compensates for his small penis for a man of his size, by wearing those extra long neckties to disguise that he isn't packing much heat.  So to speak.  

Anyway, nobody wants to admit they've been conned so here we are.  Buncha alpha male man's men bitching on a thread that another thread is unfair to the thread they want to have.  Real meta-shit going on...

I rather like the comment about pay boards because paying a premium for a safe space does sound very genius and Elon worthy. I think this poster should pay a large sum just to have that special space with the caveat that the free boards are off limits to users with that designation. Win-win!!

• Hook 'Em 2