2023-2024 Winter Weather

Trey3216

5 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Every school in the state is already closed for MLK day. Thats a lot of juice not being used by HVAC systems.

That's gotta help.

there’s a handful of districts open in the Austin area, but most canceled classes tomorrow because of the weather.

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Who are these assholes? School year is long enough already 

5 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Huh, I guess I shouldn't be surprised but I assumed every district made MLK a student holiday.

https://www.kxan.com/weather/list-central-texas-school-delays-closures-for-monday-due-to-cold-weather/

Burnet CISD: School canceled Monday, including all before and after school activities.

Doss CCSD: School canceled Monday. School delayed until 10 a.m. Tuesday.

Schulenburg ISD: School canceled Monday. The district is still evaluating Tuesday.

AISD is obviously closed, but will make a decision about Tuesday by 5pm tomorrow.  

30 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Every school in the state is already closed for MLK day. Thats a lot of juice not being used by HVAC systems.

That's gotta help.

You think they are going to turn off the heat or even lower it even if students aren't there?  I don't.  My office is closed tomorrow and I guarantee they aren't touching the HVAC.  It will be on 71 or whatever it's at normally for all 100,000+ square feet.  I'd bet most of the lights will be on too.

• Hook 'Em 5

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

https://www.kxan.com/weather/list-central-texas-school-delays-closures-for-monday-due-to-cold-weather/

AISD is obviously closed, but will make a decision about Tuesday by 5pm tomorrow.  

So them....

Buddy really wants tuesday off, SMISD. Why? Not the cold, the dude is Canadian, just does not want to deal with his last period class.

19 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

You think they are going to turn off the heat or even lower it even if students aren't there?  I don't.  My office is closed tomorrow and I guarantee they aren't touching the HVAC.  It will be on 71 or whatever it's at normally for all 100,000+ square feet.  I'd bet most of the lights will be on too.

In my district, absolutely. Local campuses don't even have local control of our HVAC. If my classroom is hot or cold my office manager has to put in a request to district to try and get it adjusted. If you want to go work in your room on a day that is normally not a school day you will not have AC.

We (Plano) pay millions back to the State in recapture, so they pinch every penny they can.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

56 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I thought all AISD thermostats were centrally (ROBOTICALLY!!!) controlled.  Seems like they should be able to turn them down without much effort.  (Not that they're wise enough to do so.)

My wife's AISD room has seen temperatures varying from 53 to 93 degrees during school hours.  Neither the school district nor the teachers have much control over the room temps.  The HVAC in many of the schools is shot and the buildings are poorly insulated.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

My wife's AISD room has seen temperatures varying from 53 to 93 degrees during school hours.  Neither the school district nor the teachers have much control over the room temps.  The HVAC in many of the schools is shot and the buildings are poorly insulated.

Guess it is time to pay football coaches more.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Same with the classrooms/schools my wife has taught in.  And my kids' school, if it's in the teens when they go back to school, I shudder to think what the temps will be.  At least we are sending them in fleeces/pullovers and winter coats.

11 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Guess it is time to pay football coaches more.

In 2022, Austin sent $761 million to the state to pay for other school districts.  From 2001-2022, we've sent almost $6 billion to other school districts.

Football coaches aren't our problem.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

17 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Same with the classrooms/schools my wife has taught in.  And my kids' school, if it's in the teens when they go back to school, I shudder to think what the temps will be.  At least we are sending them in fleeces/pullovers and winter coats.

In 2022, Austin sent $761 million to the state to pay for other school districts.  From 2001-2022, we've sent almost $6 billion to other school districts.

Football coaches aren't our problem.

Yeah, but then those kids grow up to be hipsters, move to Austin and work for Tesla. Man, stratergery vs. tactics.

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

If you want to be pedantic and argue about the meaning of a "grid failure", fine.  Austin lost a large swath of power 11 months ago, and it affected some people for days.  It's tiresome.

I don't think it's pedantic to make a distinction between widespread grid failures like we saw in 2021, and localized power failures due to local utility company dipshittery like we saw in 2023.  Both are frustrating but if we treat them the same then we're failing to hold the right people accountable for each fuckup.

Anyway, I'm team "66 on the thermostat" and team "wrap no drip."  Worked fine for me during both 2021 and 2023 so that's where I'll land this go-round as well.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

I don't think it's pedantic to make a distinction between widespread grid failures like we saw in 2021, and localized power failures due to local power company dipshittery like we saw in 2023.  Both are frustrating but if we treat them the same then we're failing to hold the right people accountable for each fuckup.

Anyway, I'm team "66 on the thermostat" and team "wrap no drip."  Worked fine for me during both 2021 and 2023 so that's where I'll got this go-round as well.

There is no expectation of power service in an emergency, such as extreme weather. None. Texas SC has made that expressly clear. Discussion found in CR.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I don't think it's pedantic to make a distinction between widespread grid failures like we saw in 2021, and localized power failures due to local utility company dipshittery like we saw in 2023.  Both are frustrating but if we treat them the same then we're failing to hold the right people accountable for each fuckup.

The discussion was about Austinites raiding grocery stores because their power supply has become less stable.  The root cause doesn't really matter to the average Joe.  My point stands.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

The discussion was about Austinites raiding grocery stores because their power supply has become less stable.  The root cause doesn't really matter to the average Joe.  My point stands.

If you'd said "power failure" you'd be right.  That's not what you said.

Again, I get the frustration, but if we assign every power failure to the power grid, we're failing to blame the local assholes that caused the last one.

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Again, I get the frustration, but if we assign every power failure to the power grid, we're failing to blame the local assholes that caused the last one.

I blame everyone that has anything to do with power in Texas or Austin. There. They all suck and should all be fired. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Jesus Christ, I was using the common vernacular.  Trust me, I invented and sold a billion dollars of fucking megawatt class UPS for data centers and other critical loads, spent over 20 years on that career path, I get what the "grid" is.

We're talking about grocery raids.

Edited by jimmyjazz

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Jesus Christ, I was using the common vernacular.  Trust me, I invented and sold a fucking megawatt class UPS for data centers and other critical loads, spent over 20 years on that career path, I fucking get what the "grid" is.

We're talking about grocery raids.

mmmm ok

Just now, Homercles said:

Was light snow from Hillsboro through Waco coming back from Dallas tonight…or maybe frozen Cowboys tears.  Didn’t show up on radar but was enough to get my kids excited. 

Please tell me you didn’t subject children to a Cowboys playoff game. I’ll call CPS right fucking now!!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

Just now, Hate said:

Please tell me you didn’t subject children to a Cowboys playoff game. I’ll call CPS right fucking now!!

Nope.  As noted up thread, Santa brought my kids tickets to Harry Potter Forbidden Forest Adventure of Cold As Fuck and the C Montgomery Burns…I mean…Ross Perot Science Museum.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Covri said:

What’s the drip vs no drip debate? Who doesn’t drip and why?

A reporter skeeted on bluesky about this earlier.

image.thumb.png.18c5de131415a1afe7744b0c5b7bf0e8.png

here's the linked article -

Houston Public Works warns residents to not drip faucets during freeze. The same question arises during every Houston freeze. To drip or not to drip? The answer remains the same.

https://www.lmtonline.com/news/houston-texas/article/houston-freeze-drip-faucets-18602388.php

The City of Houston's water is run through pump stations on the ground, not water towers. City officials are urging Houston residents to not drip their faucets because it could put pressure on the water system, potentially shutting it down.

Running faucets "has a huge negative impact on our water pressure," Erin Jones, a spokesperson for Houston Public Works, told Chron. "If water pressure gets too low, then you get a burn water notice. And you don't want that in the middle of a freeze."

Instead, the city recommends that residents open the cabinet doors under the sink next to outside walls to let heat in, shut off water to washing machines in unheated garages and monitor pipes that have been frozen in the past. Houstonians who expect to be out of town during the arctic freeze should prepare their homes beforehand by draining their outside faucets or leaving their home heating system on a low temperature.

I hope it's not too obvious to state this:  a lot of folks in Texas are on natural gas or propane.  ERCOT isn't speaking to you.  The electrical demand to push heat through your house is minimal when your source is gas.  While I don't think the grid will crash this time around, there is a small chance of rolling blackouts, so I'm soaking my house with BTUs -- I'm running the thermostats at 72 F.  It's toasty, I'm not stressing the grid but rather just burning more gas (which I'm happy to pay for) and if we get another grid-a-geddon it's that much more stored heat to dissipate.  It matters a day or two down the road.  Do what you do, though.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2