CFP Semifinal: Texas vs Washington - 7:45pm on ESPN

Pancho

5 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

I think it very clear we were out coached or.. perhaps semantics, I Sark over coached offensively and we were out coached defensively. Now, to be clear I underestimated the W line. They're better than I thought, we had no answer to their Oline and O game plan. That was out coached.

On offense, and I'm sure in this thread it's been beaten to death but I just got back from the game.. Sark had a shit early script leaning far to heavily on passing, imo. I think, running hard and often earlier might have been a punch in the nose for UW.

We didn't, at all, much to our detriment.

I'm not sold on Quinn getting where we need him to.. but hey, I wouldn't be a Texas fan without jumping into the QB controversy. That will play out in spring and if Arch is ready I belive Sark will lean winning over nice guy. His offensive arrogance in this game pretty much confirms that as I see it.

Anyway, I said it before the game. I viewed this as game as bonus action. We won the Big XII on the way out.. I would have liked to face Michigan. 

We aren't, I'm bummed, but I'm still happy with the year. Not sunshine pumping. If you had told me we'd be in the CFP at the start of this year, I would have laughed at you... so..  

There's my perspective, it's worth what you paid for it.

Fuck

49 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

The flat screen on 1st down at the 12 with no timeouts left is one of the worst play calls I’ve ever seen

An absolute waste of time at at point where you can’t waste time. What the hell was Sark thinking?!?!?

It was a check down and EWERS panicked 

49 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

The flat screen on 1st down at the 12 with no timeouts left is one of the worst play calls I’ve ever seen

An absolute waste of time at at point where you can’t waste time. What the hell was Sark thinking?!?!?

Didn't just waste time - It also wasted a play/chance to throw it in the end zone

5 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Lol no. He had a 55% completion %. His season comp % was 71%. Ewers played decent in the second half, but the first half was a scene out of a nightmare. 

lol yes. You bitch about everything in every game thread I’ve seen you in. Completion % doesn’t tell the story you think it does.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

Questionable officiating, but that's been the case for us all fucking year so it's to be expected.

End of the day, we crush Meatchicken or Bama.  This Husky squad was our toughest matchup.  We just ran into a (should be if not for the injury concerns) 1st QB off the board in the Draft with top tier receivers.  As bad as our secondary is, they were stride for stride on a lot of those passes and Penix just dropped it in with pinpoint accuracy.  You can't defend that shit.  

I'd be upset if we rolled over and got blown out.  As it was, kept it close and had a chance to win at the end.  The talent is just rolling in to Austin at this point so I imagine we'll be pretty well set for the future.  Sucks to lose, but I think we'll be making noise in the CFP for years to come.

I wasn't even really ever made last night because of how ridiculous Penix was playing.  You can't do anything about it when someone is that on.  If we did ever manage to get a little pressure he just calmly slid away from it and threw another perfect dart down to the field to a receiver who almost always caught it.  I'm amazed we had a shot at winning the game.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

Y'all are crazy. Baxter is gonna be a stud. I really, really like Blue. He is a great change-of-pace guy.

That explains the 3rd down play, yes. But not the other three.

Baxter had issues getting hurt this year.   Don’t know how many times he limped off the field during the course of the season including last night a time or two?   He stayed in games though so he obviously has drive.   Wouldn’t be surprised we learn in the next few days he did have an ankle or knee problem with it being addressed now during the offseason.   

Good season.  Most frustrating part of last night, we'll I guess two things. 1. Secondary is awful.  2. They were giving us the style we needed to play (aka run the ball and control the clock) in order to win that game and we just didn't take it. We should've had 300 yards rushing in that game.  

Edited by chemHORN
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

😭😭😭😭😭😭

Personally, I find the Elite 8 loss last year in men's basketball to be a lot "tougher to take."

Had Disu not been injured we would have certainly won against Miami. The final 4 game against UCONN was pretty much the national title game when you saw the other side of the bracket. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

Good season.  Most frustrating part of last night, we'll I guess two things. 1. Secondary is awful.  2. They were giving us the style we needed to play (aka run the ball and control the clock) in order to win that game and we just didn't take it. We should've had 300 yards rushing in that game.  

I think Sark would have been perfectly happy to run the ball more, but they were spooked by the 2 fumbles.  Brooks would have had one hell of game last night.

• Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

Angry Ufc GIF

Deja vu, butterfly effect, or wtf ever.  I posted that I knew we were fkd after the opening kickoff screwup against ou by the looks of our players.  Turned the tv off and never watched the rest.  Felt the same after our procedure penalty before the first offensive play last night and doubt I will ever watch the rest.  Fan since Jan. 1, 1964 and 20 year plus season ticket holder, so not a newbie, just tired of the SOS.  If I placed bets after the start of games I could make a fortune, but at my age would not be able to do anything with it.  Cheers

The first time Texas touched ball in the 2006 Rose Bowl was a muffed punt that set USC up in Texas territory and led to a USC TD. I assume you turned that game off too?

I will say I couldn’t help but laugh when Texas jumped offside on both the first offensive and defensive snaps of the game. Very on brand.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, vandergriff said:

Season on the line.  Berth in national championship game.

And those are the 4 plays that the "genius" comes up with.  What a flaming pile of dogshit those last plays were.  And Ewers was just as bad.

Agree totally 

• Fuck You 1

Sark said in his presser that he wanted the ball more but we got behind and he had to pass.  

I must be crazy because we came throwing and were never down by double digits in the first half yet kept coming out wasting first downs.  

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Personally, I find the Elite 8 loss last year in men's basketball to be a lot "tougher to take."

Had Disu not been injured we would have certainly won against Miami. The final 4 game against UCONN was pretty much the national title game when you saw the other side of the bracket. 

I find this loss tougher to take because basketball isn't a real sport.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yeah if you hate the use of "natty" youll probably have to find a new hill to die on. It's all the rage now.

Look at the bright side - aggy will never have to figure out the proper way to describe a national championship.

7 minutes ago, GTJ1982 said:

Sark said in his presser that he wanted the ball more but we got behind and he had to pass.  

I must be crazy because we came throwing and were never down by double digits in the first half yet kept coming out wasting first downs.  

We got crushed on time of possession. We ran 5 total plays in the third quarter. We ran 71 total plays and 35 of them came on 4 drives when we were in obvious passing mode (last possession of first half, entire 4th quarter). 

• Rage+1 1

I'll accept that, but I always thought back shoulder from the lineup. Make the DB play through and force dpi if he breaks up the play. 

The difference in Quinn’s arm action from one spot to another is so small, but so much hung on it. A slightly different throw and we are in the championship game. Pretty amazing really.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Gameplan on WA side was legit. They took away AD and X with double teams often, confused the hell out of Quinn in the front 7 looks, he’s a 20 year old soph that can happen. Covid extra year QBs need to GTFO. We had two true freshman trying to contain legit pro receivers and a QB that’s about to get PAID.  

I don’t agree Texas didn’t get pressure. Blitz packages were stupid. Delays did nothing but give Penix time to set up and read it coming.  But we were “this” close to sacking him 3-4 times. Penix clearly got healthy and was fresh and more elusive than I expected. His ability to sense and side step pressure was NFL caliber now.

we all screamed run the ball, the offense wasn’t in sync but 7+ yards a carry was huge. Then two fumbles. 

damn. 

that all suggests we lose by 14-20 points. 

I think we made it a year early. We need a WR, DT, TE, possibly a S and this team is better than this year by a lot. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

Outside of a couple of plays, last night's performance by our secondary was more of a product of Penix Jr's pinpoint accuracy and Washington's WR's ability to make contested catches than egregiously poor secondary play. Their receivers simply refuse to drop anything and on top of that they make plays for their QB on the rare occasion he's off target. I still can't believe we still had a chance to completely burglarize last night's game, because in all honesty, given the mistakes we made in terms of penalties, turnovers and simply not having the ball, we were extremely lucky to have a chance to win with the last play. Speaking of, has Quinn Ewers ever really thrown a fast ball. I can't remember him throwing a ball that wasn't of the feathery variety. If he throws that last pass on more of a line there's a good chance we come away with the win.

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You just have to be in the top 12 to “contend” starting next year. 

top 11 since we are going to waste a spot on some dogshit team like Liberty. Also you are going to have bid stealing with some shitty big 12/ACC team upsetting a top ranked big 12/ACC team. Top 10 probably gets you in though. Also dont forget about Notre Dame. They will be an annual annoyance now because they are always overrated and dont play in a real conference. 

It seemed like the plays/lineups were getting in to the defense late.

multiple occasions Sweat and crew are standing up looking at sideline while Wash is ready to snap the ball.  

I understand the d coordinator calls plays and lineups but those guys got to be dialed in earlier.  

Did I just imagine that?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, troph said:

Gameplan on WA side was legit. The took away AD and X, confused the hell out of Quinn, he’s a 20 year old soph that can happen. Covid extra year QBs need to GTFO. We had two true freshman trying to contain legit pro receivers and a QB that’s about to get PAID.  

I don’t agree Texas didn’t get pressure. Blitz packages were stupid. Delays did nothing but give Penix time to set up and read it coming.  But we were “this” close to sacking him 3-4 times. Penix clearly got healthy and was fresh and more elusive than I expected. His ability to sense and side step pressure was NFL caliber now.

we all screamed run the ball, the offense wasn’t in sync but 7+ yards a carry was huge. Then two fumbles. 

damn. 

that all suggests we lose by 14-20 points. 

I think we made it a year early. We need a WR, DT, TE, possibly a S and this team is better than this year by a lot. 

Penix has the lowest sack% in college football despite being pressured at a relatively high level. Outside of deep ball accuracy, sack avoidance is his best asset. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Longhorn Fever said:

Dumb hypothetical but on the second to last possession with 4 yds to go on the seven, does anybody think Sweat or Murphy could have carried the ball and at least half of the Washington defense for at least a first down?

I don’t know that you want a guy that big trying to go more than a couple yards. D will just go straight for the knees

6 minutes ago, Longhorn Fever said:

Dumb hypothetical but on the second to last possession with 4 yds to go on the seven, does anybody think Sweat or Murphy could have carried the ball and at least half of the Washington defense for at least a first down?

It would've taken huge balls but I almost thought we were going to go with a QB draw right there. The LBs dropped back and it was available for the taking. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Just keep scrolling nobody gives a flying fuck. 

One of the great things about this board is that we try to keep political bullshit off of it. If I want politics, I'll go to the politics board. I don't, so I don't. If you want politics, you can go there, too. imma wants to drive more traffic here. Running people off will definitely not accomplish that.

FUCK you. You know better and just insist on being a petulant bitch.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

• immamac unpinned this topic