CFP Semifinal: Texas vs Washington - 7:45pm on ESPN

Pancho

I just listened to Todd McShay say that Penix’s performance yesterday (as a pocket passer) was maybe the most impressive QB performance he’s ever seen at the college level.

I was saying this the whole game. I think he’s going to fuck Michigan up.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TexasGolf said:

I bet he's off a little and Michigan gets more pressure on him.  

I agree. It is hard to be that good 2 games in a row. Michigan has a much better secondary and probably DL (Texas has the edge at DT, but Michigan better on the edge)

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Bodowned said:

I just listened to Todd McShay say that Penix’s performance yesterday (as a pocket passer) was maybe the most impressive QB performance he’s ever seen at the college level. I just watched a highlight tape of his throws from last night (hadn’t seen many of them since I was in the stadium) and I find it hard to disagree. That was 2019 LSU stuff; the fact that we had a shot at the end with Penix throwing 40+ yard dots on every drive is incredible. Just really bad luck we ran into a guy that dialed in because the defense had no margin for error.

Glad we could help 😁

48 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

But JWhitt was open.  #5 passed him off to the DB at the 2, who bailed into the end zone while JWhitt was around the 5.  If Quinn held onto the ball for a split second longer (which he could afford to do) or noticed #5 standing still while JWhitt ran past him, he would've seen it.

I don't see how JWhitt is open on this play. And Quinn could only afford to hold the ball longer because #4 rushing in unblocked stopped because of the pitch fake.

• Hook 'Em 1

Washington took OU's defense and used it on us.  Blanketed the WR's and gave us whatever we wanted in the run game cause they knew we couldn't help ourselves and at some point in most drives we would throw the ball 3 straight times.  It's why Quinn got off to a terrible start in both games and we didn't adjust fast enough in either of them.  Also why did we run all the plays at the end of the game to the short side of the field.  They didn't even have to defend half the field because every single play was run to the short side.  

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

Also why did we run all the plays at the end of the game to the short side of the field.

Clock management. Sidelines is closer on the short side of the field and you'll give yourself a chance to run/catch/scramble to that sideline and use less clock doing so

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I don't see how JWhitt is open on this play. And Quinn could only afford to hold the ball longer because #4 rushing in unblocked stopped because of the pitch fake.

I mean, I think your angle shows him more open than mine, if anything.

image.thumb.png.7fb9d1af27f97ee34e5426ba228fb0b4.png

And Hayden was there to protect, if Quinn did hold it a split second longer for JWhitt to turn his head.

image.thumb.png.e017ae29449212274e219463a30eead9.png

Whatever, I don't care.  I don't like the play.  Why fake the toss to get all the action going to the right, only to throw it right where you have all the defenders keyed-in on, even if Blue was the relief valve?  Just look off to your left, dump it to Blue, and hope he works some magic with the extra bit of head start, if that's the case.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Screenshot with the ball already in the air isn't the best example.  Grab one before the ball is released and let's see where 5 is and then we can talk.

this is where Ewers  tendency to float stuff can backfire.  get that ball on him quick and he has a chance to make a move.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, OU Sucks said:

And Hayden was there to protect, if Quinn did hold it a split second longer for JWhitt to turn his head.

Whatever, I don't care.  I don't like the play.  Why fake the toss to get all the action going to the right, only to throw it right where you have all the defenders keyed-in on, even if Blue was the relief valve?  Just look off to your left, dump it to Blue, and hope he works some magic with the extra bit of head start, if that's the case.

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

this is where Ewers  tendency to float stuff can backfire.  get that ball on him quick and he has a chance to make a move.

Whatever the right play coulda or shoulda been I believe a junior Quinn Ewers woulda made that play. 

bitches who want to beat Michigan and Georgia meet me at 5am…

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OU Sucks said:

Whitt reads the DB flat footed/squared up and is going to go right past him to the corner.

Penix played well but many of the long completions could have been deflected or even intercepted if we just turn our heads around. Joseph can recruit but I’m not sold on him as a coach. Most of our penalties were self inflicted but someone earlier referred to them as “all legit”. The illegal block call on Watts was complete horseshit.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Afterthought - How long was VYs scramble to the end zone against USC. If we'd been on the left hash mark last night and Quinn had rolled right, and if the receivers had cleared a path for him...

I’m gonna assume someone else has mocked you for not knowing this. I didn’t finish the thread to see.
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, redswingline said:

Clock management. Sidelines is closer on the short side of the field and you'll give yourself a chance to run/catch/scramble to that sideline and use less clock doing so

Some reporter asked Darrell which stat he believed was better, time-of-possession or rushing yardage. Darrell replied "Well, t-o-p wins games about 90% of the time, rushing yards win about 90%. We found out the team with more points wins 100% of the time, so we work on scoreboard control.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

He absolutely did. When your backup has to come in for you, you know it's bad. And then the laughing at the end of the game made it worse. 

Only to you. No one else got a hurt pussy over a young man laughing with his team mates, maybe engaging in gallows humor, who knows other than he is a human being with the right to do whatever during a game. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

7 hours ago, Codaxx said:

J Whitt has a hold that negated a big play. He was fine, but didnt so anything special. Baxter and Blue did not have an A game. They were not breaking tackles left and right. Most of the yards they got were based on blocking and Washington playing back. Blue had a big drop that might have been a TD and an unforced fumble. Saying he was an A, is baffling. 

That hold call was shit

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

29 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Only to you. No one else got a hurt pussy over a young man laughing with his team mates, maybe engaging in gallows humor, who knows other than he is a human being with the right to do whatever during a game. 

At what point in the game was Quinn seeing laughing with his teammates?

9 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

we had a shitload of tipped balls on the RPO looks. I feel like there were at least 5 of them right off the bat. That really messed with his start. 

That's kinda the point. Wouldn't a terrible pass defense not have a lot of tipped balls?

Just now, burntorangebongos said:

Camera panned to the sidelines and caught Quinn laughing and it made S2YB cry. I was just saying who gives a shit why he was laughing....fucker has a right to laugh, cry or whatever without giving a shit what people think. 

If he’s doing this during a critical down in the game I understand the rage but if it was just during some long ass review then it’s not a big deal. 

28 minutes ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

part of me is missing the old bowl system where you could still end the season with a win even if you didn’t claim the grand prize. 

by all accounts this has been an amazing year, but ending on a loss just leaves a bad taste in the mouth.  such is the playoff life i suppose.

I mean, I don’t like losing regular bowl games either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Michigan does a good job of playing zone defense.

IF Penix and receivers are synced like they were on us, he surgically are up a zone. Big if. But put it on Washington unless Metachickens get some kinda pressure on him. If he has time, and as accurate as he as on us, they score. A lot. Mich won’t.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Other than our secondary shitting the bed, two critical fumbles and penalties at inopportune time, the focus on Red Zone offense has to get better next year.
Wouldn't it have been a lot nicer to need a field goal than to need the TD?
Check out the last two series and how similar they were. No creativity, no slants, and no rub play from a WR to get another WR open.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Cool. But doing that shit in the CFP is another thing. This isn't Rice or Tech, this is for a chance at a title. No competitive person with a chance to win a title is yucking it up on a sideline. It showed he didn't take it seriously to his teammates, fans, school. It's unprofessional as fuck. 

I get what you're saying, for sure.  Quinn seems to be a bit of an odd duck.  I don't question his dedication to the team, much, but he's just not a fiery dude, just super even-keeled. In a lot of ways, that works out well for him because he's able to mostly quickly forget his fuckups and move on.

Nonetheless, it does still seem that some moments are just a bit big for him still.  I attribute that final series more to Ewers being a bit freaked out by the situation and the pretty effective UDub rush than the playcalls.

And, I'm just not sure his demeanor works that well at keeping his teammates "on their toes," for lack of a better word.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bobby Layne said:

IF Penix and receivers are synced like they were on us, he surgically are up a zone. Big if. But put it on Washington unless Metachickens get some kinda pressure on him. If he has time, and as accurate as he as on us, they score. A lot. Mich won’t.  

I was watching the Michigan game and something really stuck out to me. Bama lined the Rb out wide and the LB followed him. They motioned him back to the backfields. The Lb followed him back into the box. They snap it. RB runs his route to the flat. The Edge drops to the flat and Milroe skies the pass. He was totally confused. He assumed it was man and it was going to be a race between the RB and LB to the edge, based on the LB following the RB around the formation. You rarely see that in college football. NFL, yes. Michigan has had a DC from the NFL the last few years. They do some high level pass defense, mostly because they were built to beat OSU. 

52 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

Other than our secondary shitting the bed, two critical fumbles and penalties at inopportune time, the focus on Red Zone offense has to get better next year.
Wouldn't it have been a lot nicer to need a field goal than to need the TD?
Check out the last two series and how similar they were. No creativity, no slants, and no rub play from a WR to get another WR open.

This is really an important point. If red zone offense was better the game is much different. How many times this year did we have cause for concern. Most games. Well here too. Score a TD on the penultimate drive we need a FG to WIN. It might have changed WA calculus but I don’t think so they played expecting to give Texas 15 seconds not 45.

8 hours ago, MrBig said:

The ball was snapped from the 9, VY was in shotgun and got the ball at the 13, dropped back to the 15 and ran the ball in.

FC3B643C-0ED0-4120-85D8-EF47E724846A.gif.a55ef5da7f3c204f7b4d69e543238508.gif

The ball was snapped near the right hash mark. Vince was fast, but I tell you what, when Ewers turns it up he's damn fast. Had the swing gone to Blue on the left side of the field, and the ball set up on the left hash mark. Ewers could have rolled right. See how Vince's receivers above took their defenders to the left.... And Ewers can pass on the run. Above, Young's halfback is open at the goal line. 

Anyway, anything but those accursed fucking fades. Washington's secondary wasn't all that good. We shoulda won that game.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

8 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

That wasn't the call. It was a drop off under pressure. 

Ewers was under pressure the entire night. Seems as though he did better when he was forced from the pocket. But Sark sure should have known they'd bring it on first down. He shoulda left the pocket on every play, but thrown fast. We would have still gotten off three plays. One quick receiver diving toward a low throw - impossible to defend. Love the Breaking Bad GIF. Perfect

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'm not sure why anyone does anything to the weak side of the field. Above, at the snap, look how much real estate is available to the left. For that matter, Quinn could have rolled left. I don't think they would have expected it, and he is capable of pulling it off. The kid's got a rifle for an arm when he needs it - and a very quick release.

USC rushed 6. WA rushed 3 and played zone behind. Never mind the clear athletic dissimilarity between Quinn and VY, the defensive alignment did not leave a 12 yard TD scramble as an option. And running it and sliding or being tackled would have wasted 5 more seconds at least. Simply put a designed or improvised QB run was not an option from the 12. 

Edited by troph

14 minutes ago, troph said:

USC rushed 6. WA rushed 3 and played zone behind. Never mind the clear athletic dissimilarity between Quinn and VY, the defensive alignment did not leave a 12 yard TD scramble as an option. And running it and sliding or being tackled would have wasted 5 more seconds at least. Simply put a designed or improvised QB run was not an option from the 12. 

Certainly not a designed run but if you watch the video a pump fake to Blue and there was only one defender at the goal line who might have a shot at tackling him, nobody else between the middle of the field and the right side pylon.  But yeah, I watched too much VY.  Penix burned us twice on those runs.  Not disagreeing with you, just saying there was a bunch of open real estate there.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

10 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Certainly not a designed run but if you watch the video a pump fake to Blue and there was only one defender at the goal line who might have a shot at tackling him, nobody else between the middle of the field and the right side pylon.  But yeah, I watched too much VY.  Penix burned us twice on those runs.  Not disagreeing with you, just saying there was a bunch of open real estate there.  

With a minute I would have loved a designed QB run for 6-7. A roll out could run 8-9 seconds and would be good with time too. 

7 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I was saying this the whole game. I think he’s going to fuck Michigan up.

The amount  of pressure on Penix is going to be directly related to the officiating crew calling the NCG. Anyone know the crew for the NCG?

2 hours ago, troph said:

This is really an important point. If red zone offense was better the game is much different. How many times this year did we have cause for concern. Most games. Well here too. Score a TD on the penultimate drive we need a FG to WIN. It might have changed WA calculus but I don’t think so they played expecting to give Texas 15 seconds not 45.

DeBoer is a gambler. If we only needed a FG on the final drive, I bet there is a strong chance he rolls the dice on 4th and 5 from our 39. And with our pass defense, he probably has a pretty good shot of converting.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t really understand the uproar about DeBoer’s management of that final drive. He couldn’t kneel it out with no time left. I guess he could have maybe had Penix take the snap and run around for 3 straight plays to lose yardage and waste time, but we are talking about 15-20 seconds they needed to burn so in all likelihood you are punting anyway. The punt itself feels way more riskier than any basic HB dive with two hands on the ball. I’ve never seen a team kneel down knowing they are having to give the ball back to their opponent at the end of a game, regardless of how much time may be left.

I guess the hindsight is the injury stopping the clock but I honestly can’t recall the last time I saw that scenario play out with the injury stopping the game clock and the opposing team declining the 10-second runoff.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Re throwing to the middle of the field

In his day, Tom Landry was considered the most innovative coach in the NFL. Rumor has it that for any given opponent he had one play that he kept up his sleeve, that he knew would work, but that he wouldn't run until the game was on the line.... Like from the Steeler 10 yd line... Superbowl

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

15 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I don’t really understand the uproar about DeBoer’s management of that final drive. He couldn’t kneel it out with no time left. I guess he could have maybe had Penix take the snap and run around for 3 straight plays to lose yardage and waste time, but we are talking about 15-20 seconds they needed to burn so in all likelihood you are punting anyway. The punt itself feels way more riskier than any basic HB dive with two hands on the ball. I’ve never seen a team kneel down knowing they are having to give the ball back to their opponent at the end of a game, regardless of how much time may be left.

I guess the hindsight is the injury stopping the clock but I honestly can’t recall the last time I saw that scenario play out with the injury stopping the game clock and the opposing team declining the 10-second runoff.

Had the same thought. Can’t recall a team kneeling three straight times knowing it would lead to a punt. Maybe a couple QB keepers to waste time but typically if they can’t run out the entire clock with kneel downs, teams will handoff hoping to get the clinching first down.

Edited by LonghornSean

3 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

The ball was snapped near the right hash mark. Vince was fast, but I tell you what, when Ewers turns it up he's damn fast. Had the swing gone to Blue on the left side of the field, and the ball set up on the left hash mark. Ewers could have rolled right. See how Vince's receivers above took their defenders to the left.... And Ewers can pass on the run. Above, Young's halfback is open at the goal line. 

Anyway, anything but those accursed fucking fades. Washington's secondary wasn't all that good. We shoulda won that game.

That play was like lightning striking once, everyone and I mean everyone executed it perfectly, and the icing on the cake that sealed the deal was Blalock pancaked the Defensive End on the side of the field that VY ran too, otherwise, he might have tried to pass it.  I think very unlikely it would have worked out as perfectly for Ewers against UW...

8 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

DeBeor's management of the final minute was a disaster. Its the only reason Texas had a chance to win. He threw on 3rd down, before taking to FG to go up 2 scores. He ran the ball, instead of taking the knee

I think the only reason Washington's final possession was seen as "bad" was because of the injury which stopped the clock earlier. You wouldn't kneel the ball if you know the clock wouldn't totally run out. That would worse than trying to run the ball. If the RB broke one for a first down it def would have sealed the deal. Man, I keep replaying that game in my head and even with Penix playing LIGHTS OUT we were right there. Those two fumbles really really hurt. I don't think it was "us losing the game" though, they are a great team. Bralen Trice was just as good for them as Penix was imo. Our passing game never looked right because of him and the pressure they put on. I love Sark and his ability to call plays, but we DEF got outcoached. Just see all of the batted down passes. They saw a small thing they could exploit and they did. It mattered. Anyway, kind of rambling. Hard to end the season on a loss but I am glad it was in the CFP. :/ I guess.

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac unpinned this topic