NFL Black Monday Predictions 2024 and New Coach speculatin’

Texzilla58

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Rivera out in Washington, but GM Martin Mayhew remains? Why is the job only half done?

Somebody posted above that Harris is bringing in a couple of outside sports exes to do a comprehensive leadership search. My guess is they need somebody to stay on and manage the office until they get their leadership team in place. My guess is Mayhew won't be there too long, if he even makes it another 24 hours.  But you need somebody in c-suite to manage HR, sales/marketing, facilities, and the scouts in the interim. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I can’t believe some people wanted Tomlin fired. Without looking, who is the Steelers QB? Hint, they played 3 guys and they all suck. Who are their skill players? They have 1 legit guy, Najee Harris, but he is JAG.

Checks notes, the Steelers are in the playoffs AGAIN.

Episode 5 Nonsense GIF by PBS

Either he's legit, or he's JAG

He kept Matt Canada around too long. That alone is a fireable offense but he won just enough to keep his job. 

Canada was awful.

I’m not a Tomlin guy. The non-losing streak is good. But. A team with TJ Watt has never won a playoff game. I believe they’ve given up 90 points in their last two playoff games. No playoff wins in 10 years.

They advanced this year in part because Burrow was hurt and Lamar and others sat the last game.

He’s had 15 years to find another QB. He’s never drafted a successful QB. He spent a 1st round pick on a jag RB yet somehow that’s not a negative.

Pickens, Johnson, Freirmuth along with Najee and Warren is a talented group. Yet they struggle.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Wink Martindale has resigned as the New York Giants' defensive coordinator, a source told ESPN.

Martindale's future with the Giants came into serious question Monday when New York fired two of his top assistants -- outside linebackers coach Drew Wilkins and his brother Kevin Wilkins, according to sources.

Giants coach Brian Daboll said earlier Monday that Martindale and offensive coordinator Mike Kafka were both expected to return in 2024 despite a disappointing 6-11 season that saw New York struggle badly offensively and get off to a slow start defensively.

Daboll said at the time he had not yet spoken publicly with either Martindale or Kafka, who both are under contract for 2024.

The Giants also fired special teams coordinator Thomas McGaughey on Monday after six seasons with the team.

The relationship between Martindale and Daboll reportedly was "not in a good place" earlier this season, and sources told ESPN that the relationship did not dramatically improve in recent weeks.

I can’t believe some people wanted Tomlin fired. Without looking, who is the Steelers QB? Hint, they played 3 guys and they all suck. Who are their skill players? They have 1 legit guy, Najee Harris, but he is JAG.

Checks notes, the Steelers are in the playoffs AGAIN.

The issue for Tomlin is that he pays zero attention to offense. That is left to the OC and the GM. I think he’s a great coach but for that failing. He needs to get his head in part of that. He had Roethlisburger, and solid talent for years, until he didn’t. And then had a bad hire in Matt Canada. They need a QB that isn’t a local boy grown good or old retread.

On the other hand coaching at that level is now days very hard work. I think it’s hard to keep that edge every year. If he’s burnt out it’s time to move on.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

They better get in line. 

Damn. I wouldn’t touch the Panthers were I him.  I figured Texans wouldn’t be able to keep him long but thought they’d have him one more year. Panthers are a mess so much so that Commanders look like a great destination. 

Posted (edited)

Things really falling apart for G-Men

Giants DC Wink Martindale Blindsided Coaching Staff With His Resignation

image.png.523e5fc3f8089803f8fa3a324367f793.png

New York Giants defensive coordinator Don ‘Wink’ Martindale reportedly resigned hours after the Giants’ head coach and general manager shared their expectations to see him on their sideline next season.

“It’s my expectation that they’re going to come back,” Daboll said, early Monday, concerning Martindale and Giants offensive coordinator Mike Kafka.

Wink had different plans.

Buzz around Martindale’s departure focused on the front office’s decision to fire outside linebackers coach Drew Wilkins and his brother, defensive assistant Kevin Wilkins, early Monday. The Wilkins brothers have coached under Martindale, dating back to Baltimore in 2015.

Martindale’s ‘blindside hit’ on Brian Daboll and Joe Schoen capped a scandalous year for the Giants’ coaching staff.

The veteran defensive coordinator — who spent 10 seasons with the Baltimore Ravens, winning one Super Bowl in the process — reportedly butted heads with coach Daboll during the season. Daboll and Martindale’s reported troubles highlighted Daboll’s relationship with his coaches.

There may have been substance to those rumors given the awkward disconnect with Monday’s announcements between coaches.

Martindale also saw pushback from players, including safety Xavier McKinney. Wink saw his share of tribulations this past season, despite leading New York’s defense to the league lead in takeaways (31).

Martindale’s defense often stood out as the best unit in New York. Now, Daboll, Schoen and the Giants are looking for a new defensive coordinator. And possibly a new running back. And quarterback.

image.png.d69a137043a0d2f4cdecedb6a7b999fc.png

Edited by LTtxfan

15 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

The issue for Tomlin is that he pays zero attention to offense. That is left to the OC and the GM. I think he’s a great coach but for that failing. He needs to get his head in part of that. He had Roethlisburger, and solid talent for years, until he didn’t. And then had a bad hire in Matt Canada. They need a QB that isn’t a local boy grown good or old retread.

On the other hand coaching at that level is now days very hard work. I think it’s hard to keep that edge every year. If he’s burnt out it’s time to move on.

Well said.

In a different version of Jags, Pederson fired a bunch.

Jaguars head coach Doug Pederson fired defensive coordinator Mike Caldwell and multiple defensive assistants on Monday, the team announced.

Pederson had said earlier Monday that he was still processing the disappointing end to the season and was going to take some time before making staff changes -- but he apparently moved quickly.

In addition to Caldwell, Pederson also fired defensive line coach Brentson Buckner, passing game coordinator/cornerbacks coach Deshea Townsend, inside linebackers coach Tony Gilbert, safeties coach Cody Grimm, senior defensive assistant Bob Sutton and defensive quality control coaches Tee Mitchell and Sean Cullina.

Assistant defensive line coach Rory Segrest, outside linebackers coach Bill Shuey and defensive quality control coach Patrick Reilly were retained.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39268739/jaguars-fire-defensive-coordinator-mike-caldwell-assistants

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That’s not true. You can be very skilled, and STILL be a Jagoff. Harris is skilled, and not a Jagoff.

In football parlance JAG means just a guy, as in easily replaced. Your issue belongs on a different board

Edit just saw shadow's reply

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

New Orleans Saints reportedly considering adding Jon Gruden to staff

ZACH BARNETT    1 HOUR AGO

The New Orleans Saints are reportedly considering adding former Raiders and Bucs head coach Jon Gruden to Dennis Allen's staff, according to a report from Jeff Duncan of Nola.com.

Gruden spent time with the Saints ahead of their game at Tampa Bay on Dec. 31, including a Saturday night dinner with team leadership, per the report.

Gruden's potential role on the Saints' coaching staff is not clear at this time, but Allen's comments Monday indicate he is not looking for a total offensive overhaul.

"From a system standpoint, there’s a lot of it that works, and certainly, I think there’s some things that we could do better," he said. "A lot of the stuff that we did on offense this year proves that it can be successful."

The Saints completed a 9-8 season on Sunday. It was the third straight season in which they did not make the playoffs.

Gruden joined the Saints as a consultant during the offseason and maintained that role through training camp. He has not formally coached since his 2021 mid-season firing from the Las Vegas Raiders, a move that inspired him to file a lawsuit against the NFL. That suit is finally scheduled to be heard by the Nevada Supreme Court on Wednesday

• Haha 2

Carolina Panthers announce head coach, GM candidates

ZACH BARNETT     14 HOURS AGO

The difference between college and NFL searches is not new, but it continues to astound.

Seeking new leadership on the sideline and in the front office, the Carolina Panthers on Monday announced the 17 candidates to be their next head coach and general manager.

Head coach:

— Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson
— Texans offensive coordinator Bobby Slowik
— Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan
— Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn
— Ravens defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald
— Dolphins offensive coordinator Frank Smith
— Rams defensive coordinator Raheem Morris
— Ravens offensive coordinator Todd Monken
— Buccaneers offensive coordinator Dave Canales

GM:

— Giants assistant GM Brandon Brown
— Buccaneers assistant GM Mike Greenberg
— Chiefs vice president of football operations Brandt Tilis
— Eagles assistant GM Alec Halaby
— Saints assistant GM Khai Harley
— Ravens vice president of football administration Nick Matteo
— Colts assistant GM Ed Dodds
— Raiders interim GM Champ Kelly 

In-person head coaching interviews cannot begin until Jan. 22, but GM interviews can take place immediately.

Posted (edited)

LOL Amy Adams Strunk is such an idiot. Titans could have held on to him and traded him to the Patriots for some picks. Instead they are on the hook for paying him and the Pats can get him with no compensation.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Fuck the Adams family. They wouldn’t know a great HC from their ass. Vrabel was saddled with Tannehill for 5 years. Tannehill. He’s a stop gap type QB or high end back up. He’s not a franchise guy. They had a bad season for sure but Vrabel is a good HC. Someone should snap him up as a DC so he can be on the coordinator rehabilitation track before landing another HC gig. He had Tannehill for five fucking years…the fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

This statement from Amy Adams sounds exactly like the BS that Easterby and the Texans used to spew. Is Preacher Jack now on the Titans payroll? I mean they did hire Tim freaking Kelly to be their OC this past season.

Edited by Macklemore

35 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Fuck the Adams family. They wouldn’t know a great HC from their ass. Vrabel was saddled with Tannehill for 5 years. Tannehill. He’s a stop gap type QB or high end back up. He’s not a franchise guy. They had a bad season for sure but Vrabel is a good HC. Someone should snap him up as a DC so he can be on the coordinator rehabilitation track before landing another HC gig. He had Tannehill for five fucking years…the fuck. 

Vrabel to Saban's Rehab Clinic.

• Prepare your anus 1

The Adams family will probably hire Gruden or some shit like that. It’s hard to imagine they’d go younger and innovative. They are probably still pining for Fisher. I can’t totally see them trying to hire Lane Kiffin. He fits their “aesthetic.” 

JAG stands for Just A Guy, a very average, non-descript player. That’s why Dennis said you can’t really call a guy legit & JAG in the same sentence. 

Running backs are a dime a dozen. Najee went for 1,000 yards, but there are 50 other guys who could have gone for 1000 on 4ypc. Thus, even as their best offensive player, he is JAG.

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

New Orleans Saints reportedly considering adding Jon Gruden to staff

ZACH BARNETT    1 HOUR AGO

The New Orleans Saints are reportedly considering adding former Raiders and Bucs head coach Jon Gruden to Dennis Allen's staff, according to a report from Jeff Duncan of Nola.com.

Gruden spent time with the Saints ahead of their game at Tampa Bay on Dec. 31, including a Saturday night dinner with team leadership, per the report.

Gruden's potential role on the Saints' coaching staff is not clear at this time, but Allen's comments Monday indicate he is not looking for a total offensive overhaul.

"From a system standpoint, there’s a lot of it that works, and certainly, I think there’s some things that we could do better," he said. "A lot of the stuff that we did on offense this year proves that it can be successful."

The Saints completed a 9-8 season on Sunday. It was the third straight season in which they did not make the playoffs.

Gruden joined the Saints as a consultant during the offseason and maintained that role through training camp. He has not formally coached since his 2021 mid-season firing from the Las Vegas Raiders, a move that inspired him to file a lawsuit against the NFL. That suit is finally scheduled to be heard by the Nevada Supreme Court on Wednesday

Seems like @Spider2YBanana would chime in about that one.

• Haha 1

Vrabel be great in San Diego. They have good pieces on defense. Just hire a good OC to handle the offense. It’s not a bad gig. I wouldn’t necessarily want to go back to the pats. A lot of the good beat reporters have said Bill is begging for his job. That’s desperation when you don’t even know who the QB is and bringing back Josh and Mike is all well and good but why would they want that same song and dance? Bill is just getting older and pissier. 

1 minute ago, YChang said:

I keep reading Strunk as Skunk. 

And that’s fair.