Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That's partly because Texas fans usually demand all coaches be fired after year 1 for not meeting their expectations.  

Also, your.

Yes it’s all the fans fault the coaches they’ve hired have blown ass. Were the fans wrong about Charlie? Herman? Shaka? And now RT.  You’re the one that brought up football as an example and it was dumb because football and basketball expectations are not even in the same stratosphere. 

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That's partly because Texas fans usually demand all coaches be fired after year 1 for not meeting their expectations.  

Also, your.

I get your point, but there is a huge difference between "not meeting expectations" and whatever the fuck RT is doing. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Park Gothic said:

I get your point, but there is a huge difference between "not meeting expectations" and whatever the fuck RT is doing. 

Oh I agree, this has not been good.  We'll be lucky to hit 4 or 5 wins in Big 12 play.  

50 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I would encourage you to look around at the contracts being handed out nowadays.

5 years is the minimum and $3 million per is about the lowest you can go. He is the 8th highest paid coach in the Big 12.

As great as a 3 year $1.5 million deal sounds on a message board, these guys have agents. Schools do not have leverage nowadays. Asking a new coach to go recruit 2024/2025 prospects on a 3-year deal is cringeworthy. You aren't even giving yourself a chance.

Outside of Pryor and Anamekwe, who’s going to be on this roster in 3 years? We aren’t recruiting anyone that wants to be on campus in 3 years. Tre Johnson was going somewhere else because Terry might not be the coach when he’s in his second year of the NBA?

2 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Outside of Pryor and Anamekwe, who’s going to be on this roster in 3 years? We aren’t recruiting anyone that wants to be on campus in 3 years. Tre Johnson was going somewhere else because Terry might not be the coach when he’s in his second year of the NBA?

You don't recruit one roster cycle in advance.

And a 3-year contract to a brand new coach shows zero faith from the administration. It would have been a slap in the face and signaled the end before it started. 

36 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

He didn't have to hire Rodney Terry. 

PR people are pretty clueless these days. We are assaulted with bad news every day in this modern world. They are so afraid of people getting offended. But everyone is so offended by everything these days, that a news cycle doesn't last nearly as long. 

I understand firing Beard. His indiscretions would linger for longer and be used against Texas in recruiting, etc. Clearly no one gives a fuck anymore with a fresh start at Ole Miss. 

Whatever "bad press" Texas would have received for not hiring Rodney Terry would have lasted only as long as the day a potential new coach would have been hired. And then the Terry story would have completely gone away. 

I think it’s cute that people think CDC made any of these decisions.  
You are right, that folks attention span these days is short. Any blowback would have lasted maybe a week. I’m my view they made one mistake and then compounded it by making another. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Doing horns down is fun for our opposition. Especially when it’s a team we don’t see very often. To them, it feels almost verboten. Remember the first time you shot the bird? You kind of looked around to see if anyone saw you. Got kind of brave so you did it again, but this time, you had to make sure someone saw you.  Three weeks later you shooting the double barreled FU at nuns and old ladies down at the courthouse.

Edited by TejasPedro

One thing. I'm not crazy about our players' body language on the court a lot of the time. When our lead got to about three or four, it looked like we all knew that we'd be losing that game. Sounded like it in the building too. This is... not good.

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

Yeah I'm really not interested in listening to all the people that demanded we hire him in the first place. 

three weeks ago we had a gaggle of loud, opinionated, holier than thou folks still banging that drum that said that we all just needed to patient and give RT time. none of them seem to be posting very much anymore.

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7upxirb6yzsotf1bsbj

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

His temper tantrum last night should get him fired.... now.  That said, next 6 games are against ranked teams so likely can let him run that gauntlet, leave no doubt, then have Ogden take over with absoluteclarity that he will not be the head coach next year.  

I turned the game on when it was 59-49. At the end I wondered if I'd even seen a single fucking two point attempt. Turns out there was ONE. Every single other FG attempt was a shitty jacked three. What a fucking pathetic collapse that Rodney "Right Way" Terry just watched from the sideline.

• Rage+1 2

I think I would struggle to be cool with people taunting me right before shaking my hand. But I still really wish Terry did not do this. It just adds fuel to everyone's fire.

Maybe, knowing this is a thing, the teams can talk about it and preplan their reaction. If they get a rise out of you, they win in their minds because they are simpletons, so don't let 'em see you sweat....I don't know is it too much to expect people affiliated with Texas to expect and be prepared for people to be jackasses when they win a game against Texas?

It is Texas vs everyone, stop forgetting this simple fact.

IMG_6659.jpeg

IMG_6658.jpeg

we shoot the ball pretty well, and that’s it. we don’t rebound, we don’t block shots, we don’t get to the line, we turn the ball over yet we don’t force TO’s, and on and on and on. we’re at the bottom of the league in most of the main areas that kenpom tracks. this is totally unbelievable and equally unacceptable. dude took over a program that was in a GREAT spot and just obliterated the entire thing. unreal. 

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, CTC2 said:

I think it’s cute that people think CDC made any of these decisions.  

Well he should. I am tired of this amateur hour shit where unaccountable and unknown people have decision making authority in some bizarre way. If there is a reason this athletic department fails it is that. Professionals should make the decisions, and people that can be held responsible when their decisions go south. If we fire the AD, but somehow the people making the decisions remain the same well then we can never get better.

• Hook 'Em 2

In before page 250 because, unfortunately, this thread has legs. Can we just go back to 2022? Back to the Future type thing?
Damn this sucks. Fuck Vitale and all the other jackoff media advocating for this guy last year. I’ll trust CDC to do the right thing.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well he should. I am tired of this amateur hour shit where unaccountable and unknown people have decision making authority in some bizarre way. If there is a reason this athletic department fails it is that. Professionals should make the decisions, and people that can be held responsible when their decisions go south. If we fire the AD, but somehow the people making the decisions remain the same well then we can never get better.

Our hires save this one have been aces.  

2 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

There was no top candidate. If a Donovan had been available they probably would have done that. McCasland had a much better record than Coach Terry but that would have been a really bad look.

So CDC held his nose and did what he had to do.

McCasland has been a great fit at Tech. He’d be my top choice to replace Terry.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Haha 1

Roster next year is looking like a total dumpster fire. He'll have to hit the portal hard but with what momentum? This feels very akin to Shaka's last year here - painful to watch, mediocre at best, and looming shit show on the horizon. Beard comes in, manufactures mojo, and we are able to construct a monster of a roster out of the portal.

Really hoping history repeats itself...

21 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

This feels very akin to Shaka's last year here - painful to watch, mediocre at best, and looming shit show on the horizon.

You must not remember Shaka's last year very well prior to the ACU loss.

We won the Big 12 tourney, were a 3 seed and had a ton of momentum. We were seemingly peaking at the perfect time and were playing a pretty enjoyable brand of basketball before the complete brain fart led by the man who grew a mini afro.

There are zero similarities between that year and this year besides the fact both coaches might lose their jobs.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

As an Astros fan, this situation is painfully reminiscent of the self-inflicted wound that ownership brought about by firing Jeff Luhnow and AJ Hinch when a mere suspension was all that was warranted. There is no question in my mind that decision cost us at least one WS title. Likewise, CDC firing Beard cost us decades of great coaching and potential championships. I get depressed thinking about both situations. 

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

national media

for those who don’t click, dan patrick and his co host(?) sarcastically ask: “what’s the worst thing you can do in sports? is it cheating; gambling on or fixing a game; or is it doing the Horns down?” to which dan replies, “it’s definitely doing the horns down.”

our program and our head coach are a national laughing stock. but hey, at least we “did the right thing”. i bet we’ll win the sears trophy for optics and honor. that can be the first banner we hang in moody. 

• Rage+1 3

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

for those who don’t click, dan patrick and his co host(?) sarcastically ask: “what’s the worst thing you can do in sports? is it cheating; gambling on or fixing a game; or is it doing the Horns down?” to which dan replies, “it’s definitely doing the horns down.”

our program and our head coach are a national laughing stock. unbelievable. 

Dan is my jam.  Definitely worth clicking   For the record I am not calling for Rodney’s job yet but…

And another:

image.thumb.png.be841611770b4f1f95751d0c8bb9373a.png

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

As an Astros fan, this situation is painfully reminiscent of the self-inflicted wound that ownership brought about by firing Jeff Luhnow and AJ Hinch when a mere suspension was all that was warranted. There is no question in my mind that decision cost us at least one WS title. Likewise, CDC firing Beard cost us decades of great coaching and potential championships. I get depressed thinking about both situations. 

Yeah, fuck that noise.  It was always OK firing Beard.  And fuck him and his bad judgment.  Making RT permanent (which I was marginally opposed to but understood) came with this exact risk, and we have to be willing to accept it and to fire fast here.  I imagine the next 6 games are going to make that decision easier.  

• Hook 'Em 1