Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

On 4/4/2024 at 7:31 PM, SL Xpress said:

I don't think this thread is going to die.

Too many fundamental mistakes this past year.  RT has to develop an offense, get more discipline from his team, and close out games better.  

This thread won't die unless the product gets a lot better.  

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Too many fundamental mistakes this past year.  RT has to develop an offense, get more discipline from his team, and close out games better.  

This thread won't die unless the product gets a lot better.  

I feel like you have a different view of human nature than I do. It won't die because it's controversial, it's topical as long as Terry is the head coach, and people have passionate opinions on the subject. It's pretty easy for someone to offer an opinion that someone else will disagree with. Like Red Bull, that gives threads wings. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

That’s not saying much. I may alter my viewpoint once I see what he pulls (or doesn’t) in the portal haha. Nevertheless, RT will be judged by W/Ls.

Regardless, I love Texas Athletics and will vigorously follow the basketball program - same as I am with our schizophrenic baseball team, and with football when they stunk it up for 11 seasons straight (compared to the stint before it). 

Bottom line, I want RT to succeed, and I’m very excited to watch Tre Johnson next year, but I’m certainly not sold on RT as a long-term option. I hope like hell I’m wrong, though. The worst thing that could happen is he’s just another coach who makes the tourney, wins a game here and there, and this program stays relatively static - when it has so much potential. I think that’s why @shadow_operative is so upset about all of this. He doesn’t hate RT or something of the sort. In actuality, he’s deeply disappointed that Texas Basketball had a potential 20-year guy at the helm who then offed himself by being a damn fool before the going got really good. Then, Texas replaced him with someone who possesses (seemingly) way less potential for mega success without really conducting a search. I get it. I empathize with that sentiment. 

Again, though, RT must lose the job - which he definitely has not done at this point. If and when that happens, I’m confident in CDC to make a fantastic hire. 

You summed it up really well. I was upset because our program took a major setback when CB was let go, and I felt like RT won't be able to keep us in the same upward trajectory. Now we have posters telling us that we should just accept and be happy with what we've got given our history in this sports. The Baylor or Gonzaga examples tell us otherwise.

This thread's title doesn't mean we just discuss firing RT here. It's a catchall thread to whine about our basketball coaching shortcomings. This is not the only thread of this kind where people whine about certain coaches.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Chris Beard made his bed.  Beard fanbois need to get over it.

that’s the thing though, is that i don’t think any of us are CB fanbois- we are die hard Texas Basketball supporters who saw where the program was headed under Beard and we simply lament the loss of that progress and promise.

i am an unabashed fanboi of VY and Jamaal Charles, and when VY got played by jeff fisher and jamaal kept getting injured and misused it hurt me. hell it still hurts me. both could have been HOF players without those problems, and that will always sting.

i have no such attachments to chris beard. if chris beard tanks his own career because he can’t grow up and stop drinking and stay out of toxic relationships then it won’t hurt my feelings. he’s a grown man and his own growth is on him. i lament the loss of where our program was headed, not the loss of the guy who was taking us there.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

that’s the thing though, is that i don’t think any of us are CB fanbois- we are die hard Texas Basketball supporters who saw where the program was headed under Beard and we simply lament the loss of that progress and promise.

i am an unabashed fanboi of VY and Jamaal Charles, and when VY got played by jeff fisher and jamaal kept getting injured and misused it hurt me. hell it still hurts me. both could have been HOF players without those problems, and that will always sting.

i have no such attachments to chris beard. if chris beard tanks his own career because he can’t grow up and stop drinking and stay out of toxic relationships then it won’t hurt my feelings. he’s a grown man and his own growth is on him. i lament the loss of where our program was headed, not the loss of the guy who was taking us there.

Yep. I don't give a shit about what happens to Beard from here on out.

• Hook 'Em 1

"Mr. Terry, how are you enjoying this Iowa vs UConn women's basketball game?"

"Yes, it is very interesting to watch. Why do the players keep taking shots but the shots go to other players on their team?"

"Mr. Terry, that's called passing. They pass the ball to other players who are open, so their team can take a better shot."

"Oh, so is that a rule in women's basketball that they have to make shots to their own players?"

No, Mr. Terry, that's called strategy. Perhaps you should coach our players to pass to open players like that so we can take better shots. 

"By better shot, do you mean when the ball goes in the net?

• Fuck You 1

33 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

"Mr. Terry, how are you enjoying this Iowa vs UConn women's basketball game?"

"Yes, it is very interesting to watch. Why do the players keep taking shots but the shots go to other players on their team?"

"Mr. Terry, that's called passing. They pass the ball to other players who are open, so their team can take a better shot."

"Oh, so is that a rule in women's basketball that they have to make shots to their own players?"

No, Mr. Terry, that's called strategy. Perhaps you should coach our players to pass to open players like that so we can take better shots. 

"By better shot, do you mean when the ball goes in the net?

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

I put the guy on ignore and I personally am 100% done with it

Promise 

You should have been the bigger person and done this months ago. You were just as immature and are to blame as well.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

You should have been the bigger person and done this months ago. You were just as immature and are to blame as well.

Yup. Stoked the fire on purpose many times. If Derka is perma'd this guy should be as well.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

On 4/5/2024 at 7:54 AM, ClubWhatever said:

I think it's more about expectations than caring.   There are people who think that because of our past, it's not realistic to think we can become, for example, a top 10 program in basketball.  And because they think that's not realistic, they postulate that we cannot attract a top 10 coach.   Which then weakens the argument for firing the current top 150 coach.  Setting aside for a moment the fact that we do not have the political will to fire said coach at this time.   Or that we can clearly hire a Rick Barnes or Chris Beard level coach.

I think CDC has changed the paradigm at Texas.   The next basketball coach we hire (assuming CDC is still the AD) is going to be better than Rick Barnes or Chris Beard.

Great post. 

It's also why I can't help but push back on the narrative that CDC HAD to hire Terry. A top 10 program--which Texas strives and has the resources to be--doesn't automatically hire an interim coach with a mediocre track record as a HC because he coached half a season and makes the Elite 8. They do their due diligence. If Terry is the guy after weighing the options, then so be it. And, who knows, maybe they did kick the tires on a few potential candidates quietly before deciding to give Terry the reins.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Great post. 

It's also why I can't help but push back on the narrative that CDC HAD to hire Terry. A top 10 program--which Texas strives and has the resources to be--doesn't automatically hire an interim coach with a mediocre track record as a HC because he coached half a season and makes the Elite 8. They do their due diligence. If Terry is the guy after weighing the options, then so be it. And, who knows, maybe they did kick the tires on a few potential candidates quietly before deciding to give Terry the reins.

They did not. I mean, they thought about it before the tournament but the tournament run sealed it.

I don't know why people want to dismiss the Elite Eight berth. Tournament performance simply is THE metric college coaches are measured by. There's not really another that comes close. Then you look in the rafters, and it's not exactly brimming in Elite Eight banners. Yes, it was Beard's team and program that was built and Terry inherited it. But he also inherited it under adverse conditions and righted the ship. 

It's going to be fine. We just have to live long enough to see it. Either Terry is going to get this right or he's going to be fired and CDC will go out and hire his main target. Because that's what he does. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

I don't know why people want to dismiss the Elite Eight berth. Tournament performance simply is THE metric college coaches are measured by. There's not really another that comes close. Then you look in the rafters, and it's not exactly brimming in Elite Eight banners. Yes, it was Beard's team and program that was built and Terry inherited it. But he also inherited it under adverse conditions and righted the ship. 

But Kenpom! RT took over and the team nosedived all the way down to *checks notes* a big 12 championship and a 2 seed during a time of uncertainty and major distraction!

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

But Kenpom! RT took over and the team nosedived all the way down to *checks notes* a big 12 championship and a 2 seed during a time of uncertainty and major distraction!

i went back read some posts from last year’s threads after beard got fired and it was a lot of, “wow, our performances are suffering and our metrics are plummeting and this team just keeps winning games. really impressive job by these guys (bishop, allen, carr, jabari, etc).” 

that team was always a player led team, a team full of returning upperclassmen who all came back together specifically because everyone knew they could be national title contenders. this need to give terry all the credit for the postseason run while dismissing the glaring regular season drop off under his watch just isn’t right. it’s almost like crediting trent dilfer with winning the super bowl for the 2000 ravens. yeah he was involved and his role was important, but a)the heavy lifting was done by other guys, and b)any number of other people could have played the RT/dilfer role just as well as he did. 

also we did not win the league championship under RT, we finished second behind kansas.

Edited by shadow_operative

On 4/4/2024 at 4:06 PM, HookEm said:

This thread isn't titled "We shouldn't have hired Rodney Terry".  That is the conversation that I'm so exhausted from. 

The thread IS titled "Fire Rodney Terry" and that is the question I'm asking.  Is anyone proposing that we actually do what the thread is titled?  If not, then this thread should die. 

If you want to post about whether we should have hired him in the first place, then go ahead and start that thread and I can just avoid it.

why should the thread die?  The Fire coach X threads are for general bitching about the coach.  It actually does the board a service so if you want to bitch just go to this thread.  If you don't like people bitching about the coach then don't go to the thread.  It really is simple.  If someone wants to bitch about why we shouldn't have hired him then I think this is the place as well.

maybe we have 3 threads,  fire, 4ever, and never ever?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

So when the time comes, and it probably will, what will our administrators and donors be willing to pony up for the best of the best?  When I watch UConn, I see a team that is so well-coached.  What would we be willing to offer Hurley to come here? 

At least Sark is up at the $10M mark, so the "can't make more than the football coach" number has jumped up a lot.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

So when the time comes, and it probably will, what will our administrators and donors be willing to pony up for the best of the best?  When I watch UConn, I see a team that is so well-coached.  What would we be willing to offer Hurley to come here? 

At least Sark is up at the $10M mark, so the "can't make more than the football coach" number has jumped up a lot.

Hurley is from the northeast, doubt he would come.  We need to be realistic, tbh.  If arky is paying Cal 8 mil, I'd expect our next coach to ask for something similar. Good news is Rodney's buyout should be pretty low.

Just now, closetohumping said:

Hurley is from the northeast, doubt he would come.  We need to be realistic, tbh.  If arky is paying Cal 8 mil, I'd expect our next coach to ask for something similar. Good news is Rodney's buyout should be pretty low.

That's sort of my question.  Would we pay that for basketball?  Hurley makes ~ $5M.  They'll raise him.  Can they compete?  Would he stick with the Big East in the fragile conference landscape going forward?

No idea.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's sort of my question.  Would we pay that for basketball?  Hurley makes ~ $5M.  They'll raise him.  Can they compete?  Would he stick with the Big East in the fragile conference landscape going forward?

No idea.

Whatever Sark is paid, pay that. Spare no expense and win! /sarcasm

But we're about to have more money than we've ever had when the SEC paychecks start coming and our football team not being in the basement any longer. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Whatever Sark is paid, pay that. Spare no expense and win! /sarcasm

But we're about to have more money than we've ever had when the SEC paychecks start coming and our football team not being in the basement any longer. 

Needed, heard a breakdown of last year’s athletic numbers on a talk show last week and the Men’s basketball team only turned a $4million profit. 

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Needed, heard a breakdown of last year’s athletic numbers on a talk show last week and the Men’s basketball team only turned a $4million profit. 

$23 million in revenue though.  SEC TV money will definitely help. 

Profit isn't a big deal though since we make so much money in football and we actually turn a profit in baseball - Last I saw, we are top 10 in revenue for CBB and the only SEC school we are behind is Kentucky. 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

$23 million in revenue though.  SEC TV money will definitely help. 

Profit isn't a big deal though since we make so much money in football and we actually turn a profit in baseball - Last I saw, we are top 10 in revenue for CBB and the only SEC school we are behind is Kentucky. 

I get that but who knows what the future looks like as far as the NIL and paying athletes go. If sports have to pay for themselves at some point, it could matter. Currently, hypothetically, if we hired Hurley for $10million we are in the red already. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I get that but who knows what the future looks like as far as the NIL and paying athletes go. If sports have to pay for themselves at some point, it could matter. Currently, hypothetically, if we hired Hurley for $10million we are in the red already. 

But you hire on the assumption that you will make more profit back....whether that be tournament run or butts in the seats.

Also just this past year:

image.png.ec603f78ecfecc1e0e8c18b5970712bd.png

With SEC payouts I see that number surpassing the 300 million mark.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

But you hire on the assumption that you will make more profit back....whether that be tournament run or butts in the seats.

Plus SEC TV money will make a difference.  There's millions of dollars in basketball-specific distributions, in addition to the general amount of money distributed to each school from the TV deal.  It is projected at what, $20 million more than we got from the Big 12's latest deal?

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Sure because there is proof in the concept.

Are you saying you wouldn't have done one of your patented Wikipedia record screenshots if this is how the first 4 years looked for a coach? The path that Hurley took is definitely not the norm.

Screenshot(38).thumb.png.d2caa4a0cf5f219ec7b1b6102a70d11e.png

Edited by Hookem2147

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Are you saying you wouldn't have done one of your patented Wikipedia record screenshots if this is how the first 4 years looked for a coach?Screenshot(38).thumb.png.d2caa4a0cf5f219ec7b1b6102a70d11e.png

Why would I care about those 4 years at UCONN when the last 2 were championships? We wouldn't be hiring dude after the 2022 season. 

That resume is still better than this if you want me to post a wiki history

image.png.717886213576c56d4eff2c0fea8459ee.png

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Why would I care about those 4 years at UCONN when the last 2 were championships?

The OP said the first 4 years for Hurley at Uconn included two missed tournaments and zero wins, and the question was asked would that be allowed at a place like Texas? You said sure because there is "proof in the concept"? What would be the proof in the concept you are referring to after his 4th year at UConn?

Edited by Hookem2147

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

The OP said the first 4 years for Hurley at Uconn included two missed tournaments and zero wins, and the question was asked would that be allowed at a place like Texas? You said sure because there is "proof in the concept"? What would be the proof in the concept you are referring to after his 4th year at UConn?

Because in the scenario stated we were money whipping him....so who gives a shit?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Because in the scenario stated we were money whipping him....so who gives a shit?

You must have misinterpreted the scenario stated in the OP.

We hire Dan Hurley fresh off his 2018 season at Rhode Island. His first 4 seasons at Texas include two missed tournament appearances and zero wins. We are now sitting in the offseason of 2022. Yes or no, are you pissed and calling for his head? 

Edited by Hookem2147

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

You must have misinterpreted the scenario stated in the OP.

We hire Dan Hurley fresh off his 2018 season at Rhode Island. His first 4 seasons at Texas include two missed tournament appearances and zero wins. We are now sitting in the offseason of 2022. Yes or no, are you pissed and calling for his head? 

I did misinterpret him with my desire to just money whip whoever in a sarcastic manner. 

But even in that scenario Hurley's resume > Terry

• Hook 'Em 1

CDC missed an opportunity. Last year, he should’ve told RT he wasn’t getting the HC position but if he publicly announced he wasn’t interested in being HC, here’s a nice fat fucking bonus check. It would’ve been nice and clean and saved the optics.

22 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

CDC missed an opportunity. Last year, he should’ve told RT he wasn’t getting the HC position but if he publicly announced he wasn’t interested in being HC, here’s a nice fat fucking bonus check. It would’ve been nice and clean and saved the optics.

Why in the world would RT accept a bonus check over a $15 million contract?

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Would the UT fan base / surly give a coach 4 years to build his program ? 

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 10.30.23.jpeg

Well thanks a lot. You just gave the pro-Terry crowd a post they can go to over and over until the end of year five of Terry’s rein. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

If you have to ask you really don’t know RT, there is more to that cat than his budget friendly frames 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

In my scenario, he doesn't have a $15M contract as an option. It's unemployment and his buyout or unemployment and his buyout + a bonus.

Posted (edited)

Rodney Terry as coach is death by a thousand cuts. He's good enough to keep the program in a positive place, but not good enough at coaching or attracting talent to make the team a true contender. He's a perfect corporate CEO, as he will keep his job by offending the least number of people possible, but not visionary enough to make a real impact. I can see him here for decades. :(   

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I assume the $4M profit number is for 2022-2023 basketball, a season that featured 18 home games (12 Terry, 6 Beard).  I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect we would draw better and turn a bigger profit under an elite coach like Hurley.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Rodney Terry as coach is death by a thousand cuts. He's good enough to keep the program in a positive place, but not good enough at coaching or attracting talent to make the team a true contender. He's a perfect corporate CEO, as he will keep his job by offending the least number of people possible, but not visionary enough to make a real impact. I can see him here for decades. :(   

Kinda like Jerry Sloan and the 2000s era Jazz. Perennial playoff team first round exit. Not bad enough to get picks in the lottery, not good enough to win anything. NBA purgatory. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

This guy gets it.

I expect we will make the tournament just about every year and win a game more often than not.  And possibly sprinkle in a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 run when the chips fall right.  That will be better than the 10 years before RT.

But we will never win it all under him, and it is very unlikely we will make a Final Four.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, HookEm said:

This guy gets it.

I expect we will make the tournament just about every year and win a game more often than not.  And possibly sprinkle in a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 run when the chips fall right.  That will be better than the 10 years before RT.

But we will never win it all under him, and it is very unlikely we will make a Final Four.

I don’t understand why anyone thinks that RT can make it to the round of 8 much less 16 on a consistent basis.  IMO people underestimate what an experienced team we had last year. I’m not saying RT didn’t have to coach them but it was far easier than what he put on the floor this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

By "when the chips fall right", I meant that it will be quite uncommon - certainly not on a consistent basis.  Maybe once every 5-6 years.

2 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

IMO people underestimate what an experienced team we had last year.

Yes, we had an exceptionally experienced team last year: Carr (6th year), Rice (5th year), Allen (5th year), Bishop (5th year).... plus Brock and Disu in the 4th year.  But, the extra Covid year is gone, so the silver lining is that NOBODY is going to have experienced teams like that again.  And RT is showing that he can go get high school players, and they are going to play a much bigger role again starting next year. 

Even this year, with a team that most of us found to be pretty damn frustrating, we were an improbable pair of Tennessee free throws from potentially making the Sweet 16.  And Tennessee was about as bad of a matchup as you could imagine for us.

So, bottom line for me is that RT will field teams that might end up advancing if the matchups are good, or if the shots fall. But the high end potential and consistency aren't going to be there.

• Hook 'Em 1