2024 Presidential Election Thread

bolverk

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The main risk that RFK poses for Biden is if RFK only focuses on the states where Biden has a small lead. Then he could look to find a way to steal votes from Biden by being the "none of the above" candidate. 

The main risk for RFK Jr is that somebody will call up Sirhan Sirhan and tell him that RFK Jr has been fucking Jodie Foster.

Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

aaaaaand they're going after New York, lmao

6 hours ago, gmr548 said:

This is the case in most major polls. He takes from both candidates and it's common for Biden to be on the losing end of that.

Everyone's focused on the antivax, conspricary theory bits that draws some former Trumpers, but there are plenty of relatively apathetic voters that went for Biden last time, don't care for either candidate now, and are liable to case a vote for him. RFK isn't going to get 10%, I'm not super worried about low info Democrats voting RFK; they will come home as they check in. It's the independents for whom RFK will serve as a protest vote that is concerning given his instant name recognition.

RFK is pretty bigly on being anti-abortion, and in the past year has supported a federal ban on it.  Trump just came out today pissing off the anti-abortion crowd, saying it should be left to the states and Trump was badmouthing Republicans in Congress who want a federal ban.

Its pretty clear there is probably some Republican billionaire or Russian group that would love to send the election to Congress, thereby causing bloodshed and fucking with our country, but RFK Jr has been playing the part of Ron DeSantis better than he has Marianne Williamson.

On 4/7/2024 at 4:59 PM, tx 3 putt said:

I don't get the idea of forcing the election to the House as being a viable strategy. A third party candidate would have to actually win some states to prevent the R or D from getting a majority of electors. There is a zero chance of that happening. What am I missing? 

3 minutes ago, Horndog said:

I don't get the idea of forcing the election to the House as being a viable strategy. A third party candidate would have to actually win some states to prevent the R or D from getting a majority of electors. There is a zero chance of that happening. What am I missing? 

The grift 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Earl Haffler said:

Hmm. It seems Earl, here, is a veritable piece of shit. @YGIFS I seem to recall you always wondering why the nutcases on Surly haven't identified themselves. Well, we have one.

Let's see what else that account has to say.

AGAINST AID FOR UKRAINE. HANGS WITH TRAITOR FLYNN. DEPORT IMMIGRANTS TO A WAR ZONE.

FEIGNS WHITE HETEROSEXUAL VICTIMIZATION. 

TELLS ISLAMOPHOBIC BULLSHIT LIES.

ELECTION CONSPIRACIST.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

😂😂😂😂

I like this news, but we can't get too overconfident or allow Biden to rest on his laurels because there's a whole ecosystem of dark money groups that will be active in each of these states and completely unaccountable. Plenty of ratfucking can happen without schmucks on the official campaign payroll.

• Hook 'Em 8

It’s ok, ma and pa smith from deer coochie, Mississippi will forgo their diabetes meds for a few months to donate their last $100 to him to save America. And then expect us to pay for their feet amputations with socialized medicine money. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

For the Polls Are AIDS group, Trump is winning the yoot vote by 29%

Channel 5, the newsroom that commissioned this poll, is the worst local news in the Twin Cities, and has been for some time. 

Trump winning U34s 54-29? I want a dose of whatever drugs this pollster is smoking.

The MNGOP, or rather what's left of it, was crowing about this. All you need to know about them is that their main financier during the 2010s is currently serving 21 years in the federal joint for sex trafficking.

Edited by GopherRock
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Problem for Dems in Texas: Most 18-year-olds are not registered. This is a design feature.

https://www.texastribune.org/2024/04/10/texas-high-school-voter-registration/

I wonder how many Texans, especially young ones and transplants, know that the deadline to register is like a month before the election?  I missed out in 96 because I didn’t inquire about registration until my birthday in mid October, and it was past the deadline. 

of course knowing Texas, I probably wouldn’t be allowed to register at 17 for an election that would take place after I turned 18. 

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I wonder how many Texans, especially young ones and transplants, know that the deadline to register is like a month before the election?  I missed out in 96 because I didn’t inquire about registration until my birthday in mid October, and it was past the deadline. 

of course knowing Texas, I probably wouldn’t be allowed to register at 17 for an election that would take place after I turned 18. 

Actually, you can do this in Texas.   They just don't advertise it.  Same lack of advertising that people who committed crimes but have completed their sentences and gone 'off paper' can vote as well.  

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Joe Biden GIF by ABC News

the gap will close but it will hardly "even out" as Biden et al have likely already bought the best slots and his legal bills are cleaning out any and all donations that could be used for ad buys.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Either Trump gets blown out or the generally accepted idea of a national campaign infrastructure is completely and permanently overhauled.

Would be fascinating if not for the stakes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1