new Curb tonight, mofos

Gil Bang

7 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Agreed.  Although he's still basically playing the usual version of himself he does in almost every film, which on paper with this Curb cast doesn't sound like a great idea.  For some reason, it works really well.  

Looking at those paintings again of Gilbert and Richard Lewis, i honestly got choked up.  Quick larry, get me some water.  

Bob Einstein pretty much played a version of himself as Marty.

Bob was such a rare cat, he could play it so dry and so straight for decades and then also play it really physical and goofy (a la Super Dave).  He was so underrated as a comedic actor, but I treasure his scenes on Curb.  

But it's just another great facet to the show.  Some celebrities come on and play themselves as people Larry knows IRL, but they play it different (square v. goofy or straight v. heel).  Then other actors come on there and play some fictional character in Larry's orbit but they're still basically being themselves.  While others come on as fictional people Larry knows and totally goof it up for effect and are nothing like their real-life persona.  And then the icing on the cake is Larry's ability to cast regular actors he doesn't know for an episode or a few and just hilariously compliment the rest of the cast.  I mean, there are hundreds of examples of 'small-time' actors on both Seinfeld and Curb that just nail their fucking scenes within a well-established cast that's obviously hilarious and comfortable with one another.  That's a whole other skill-set Larry has in working with Casting Directors.  And that sometimes some of those people play people he knows in real life, is yet the final layer to the onion.  This is not typical Lobo hyperbole, his genius will be unpacked for a century.  It's up there with Twain and Wilde.  We are lucky to have lived to seen't it.

21 hours ago, C-Man said:

The painting at the end knocked me off the couch. Fucking hilarious.

I watched it again last night w the wife.

The housekeeper bit was funny, but I didn't get why was she so mad at him.  Bc he wouldn't fire her?

The interaction with Stu's family member is hilarious even a 2nd time through. "You could heart it!"

Yeah I wouldn’t joke about a colostomy bag. I wonder if it started as a cancer joke, and they were like, nah, we can’t do a cancer joke. What else is really bad, but not as widespread?

Conan big shotting Larry just didn’t work. Larry is probably more famous, and Conan will literally befriend any celebrity if they come on his podcast. Just not a good use of very odd but funny comedian. 

I’ll give Larry credit for being a good friend to Richard Lewis, but he wasn’t well enough to appear in this season. 

The valet battle sort of worked. 

On 3/20/2024 at 6:54 PM, YGIFS said:

Bob was such a rare cat, he could play it so dry and so straight for decades and then also play it really physical and goofy (a la Super Dave).  He was so underrated as a comedic actor, but I treasure his scenes on Curb.  

But it's just another great facet to the show.  Some celebrities come on and play themselves as people Larry knows IRL, but they play it different (square v. goofy or straight v. heel).  Then other actors come on there and play some fictional character in Larry's orbit but they're still basically being themselves.  While others come on as fictional people Larry knows and totally goof it up for effect and are nothing like their real-life persona.  And then the icing on the cake is Larry's ability to cast regular actors he doesn't know for an episode or a few and just hilariously compliment the rest of the cast.  I mean, there are hundreds of examples of 'small-time' actors on both Seinfeld and Curb that just nail their fucking scenes within a well-established cast that's obviously hilarious and comfortable with one another.  That's a whole other skill-set Larry has in working with Casting Directors.  And that sometimes some of those people play people he knows in real life, is yet the final layer to the onion.  This is not typical Lobo hyperbole, his genius will be unpacked for a century.  It's up there with Twain and Wilde.  We are lucky to have lived to seen't it.

His role as George Sr.'s translator on Arrested Development was incredible as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

I may have missed a scene, but why did Jeff have an eye patch at the end?

Domestic violence is funny again? Awful episode. The fridge cheese was stupid and you could see the resolution of the bag storyline coming from the start.

20 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

The cheese thing was stupid.

If you say "Can I leave this here and pick it up tomorrow?", and they say yes, who on earth would then treat that as if it's now their property? And then be surprised at the reaction.

I know Curb's whole deal is "Larry does something understandable and gets screwed over" but that's pushing it to unfunny territory because it's so dumb.

I know some of y'all are down on this season but I just enjoy watching Larry move through LA (and Atlanta) and be Larry for 35-40 mins per week. Some of the shit he gets into is funnier than others but I'm still enjoying it. If this really is the final season, it's going to end with Larry in jail just like Seinfeld ended as some of you have already surmised.

• Like 4

No hugging.  No learning.  I think it was.  Or was it No Growing?  

was flipping around last night and came upon a ‘very special’ episode of “Family Ties.”   Where Tina Yothers stands up to book banning with the help of Alex (Elaine was actually in the episode as their civil rights attorney).  And i remembered how Many of the sitcoms we grew up with had those kinds of episodes.  And I thought how funny it would have been had Seinfeld or Curb had done of one of those, tongue-in-cheek just to see how Larry and the writers would play it.  But then I realize it would have broken the mold of the two shows we love so dearly.  Do remember though, there is a never aired episode of Seinfeld where JLD is scared of being a female victim of crime in NYC and buys a gun to defend herself.  

I am really going to miss Curb.  Good news is it that holds up just as as Seinfeld.  Still can’t believe it’s been going for over 20 years.  What a ride.  Thanks L.D.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

As everyone else has said, this was definitely a mixed-bag episode. Covid and #metoo should have been done three years ago. Larry not wanting to confront somebody about their bad script, book, show, etc has been done plenty of times. But floor sex was one of the funniest things I've seen on Curb all season.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou

17 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d watch the shit of Larry and Jerry talking for 5 minutes before interviewing their guest on Comedians and Coffee. 

Larry did do one episode of that show in its first season, and it's a great show for anyone who's a fan of Jerry's guest. When they're sitting in the coffee shop laughing it up over breakfast and Larry says to him, "You've finally done it, a show about nothing!"  Great moment, love the two of them together. Nice of them to bring back Jerry to help tie-up the loose end of the show last night. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

They stuck the landing with that finale.  Jerry's 13 hours of Seinfeld Sex Tape on Laser Disc had me rolling.  I got choked up.  I remember watching the Pilot/Special when it first aired.  24 years.  Pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Who was the squealer on the plane?  So many unanswered questions.  

But seriously.  Really liked last night.  Should have had a crazy eyed killer cameo though.  

"I'll snap yo' neck 'till it crackles and pops" is one of the greatest rap lines ever, and it's not even real.  It's up there with anything that Spinal Tap did. 

And Good Sir, with all due respect, it's "KRAZEE EYEZ KILLAH"

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Hook 'Em 1

The last season had some very weak episodes, but the finale was absolutely well executed.  Susie trying to play Larry's crippled girlfriend cracked me up, and then of course her final tirade in the courthouse when she found out that Jeff obtained the dressing recipe fraudulently.  One final "YOU FAT FUCK" made my day.  Cheryl considering her dislike of Mexican food to be some personal, confidential secret and Ted berating Larry "it's not your story to tell" was such a quintessential "Larry David does something completely reasonable and gets absolutely castigated" moment.  The call backs weren't so excessive in number to feel like a glorified clip show.  They clearly took the lessons of Seinfeld and avoided that ending, which made the meta-ness of "No Lessons Learned" that much better.  All good things come to an end, and having 21 combined seasons of Seinfeld and Curb is a lifetime of rewatchable entertainment.  Thanks LD.  Thanks for everything.

19 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Who was the squealer on the plane?  So many unanswered questions.  

But seriously.  Really liked last night.  Should have had a crazy eyed killer cameo though.  

It had to be Susie, right?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Man, he hates that so much. Got out of there ASAP.

I felt like the seasons after the long break after season 8 were really uneven. Leon was pretty hit or miss and he was the most common foil to Larry. I think Cheryl’s incredulousness was missed.

That said, the finale was great and it went out on a high
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stringer said:

Man, he hates that so much. Got out of there ASAP.

I felt like the seasons after the long break after season 8 were really uneven. Leon was pretty hit or miss and he was the most common foil to Larry. I think Cheryl’s incredulousness was missed.

That said, the finale was great and it went out on a high

we needed much more of cheryl in lingerie 

• Like 1