Yes: Pools are worth it....

Yep they're practically giving them away My backporch tv is a 60" Vizio outdoor tv I got for $245 at wal mart several years ago. The pool tv is an 85" Samsung that was significantly more than that, but still cheaper than the 65" samsung I bought three years ago for my man cave. Also picked up 4 Yamaha outdoor speakers for the pool on Prime day yesterday for 44% off.

• Like 1

I use my pool way more than my teenage kids do. They get in it when their friends are over but that’s mostly it. It’s still been money well-spent. I’m in it every day that I’m home. I ride my bike most days and always hop straight in it with a protein shake and a beer to chase it with. I’ll float there for 30 minutes or an hour every day. Some mornings I have my coffee in the pool. I would be hesitant to buy one mainly for the kids unless they are young. My teenagers are just too busy and don’t appreciate chilling out in it as much as I do. 

8704E07D-1FC4-45F4-A8AF-EBA6300C8D36.thumb.jpeg.a085a56e03d197874cb31ae4cec75557.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 7:29 AM, Herbie Hancock said:

What RPM are y'all running your pool at during the night? My average water temp last week was 90 with the pump running 8a-9p at 3250. Reset the schedule on Sunday from 8a-8p at 3250 and then set a second schedule from 9p-6a at 2200 rpm and the average temp has been 87. I would like to trim it back under 2k rpm I just don't have a clue if that would be too low or not

I don't know the exact RPMs, 3000-something, but I only run mine 6 hours a day (non-salt)  the majority at night to both try to cool it more and to do my part for the grid. I also run the pump when we're actively using the pool so average another hour or so a day probably.  My water quality is excellent. 

Anyone have a fiberglass pool?

Currently looking/comparing models from Latham, River Pools, Barrier Reef, Thursday, and San Juan.

Still not sure on best way to enclose it, but the floor space/roof/walls will come from part of the shop/guest part of the building that overall is a 60x60 footprint. I'm setting aside up to an area of 30x60, with a 10x10 corner of that for the pad, 10x10 for a toilet/shower, and then a 10x10 closet/storage/whatever. So pool/deck area of 30x50. Note: up to that size space.

The back wall may be open with accordion doors, or a couple glass garage doors, or just windows with a door at each end. Not really sure about that part yet. Either way the other side of that would be a screened in porch (or sun room), so that when it's hot I can open it up and circulate fans vice the HVAC, yet still remain as bug/critter/junk free as possible.

Looked into a desert aire dehumidifier, as well as a paddock evacuator to pull the chloramines from the surface and exhaust outside, which would be anytime when the above mentioned doors/windows aren't open.

I've been trying to account for use, both type and number of people. I think I'm in the range of something around 12x24, up to about 15x32. 6k-10k gallons give or take. Mostly swim/chill, not looking for a sport pool or anything like that. Day to day would be just 2 people, and the pup. Could potentially be 3 or 4 daily, if I end up taking care of aging parents. Other than that, about the most number of people at one time would max out about 10 (accounting for 12-15 space-wise, which anything I've looked at would be plenty.)

Where I'm kind of stuck at the moment is whether or not a built-in "spa" is something I'd want or not. I really don't want to heat it up to hot tub levels, but the jets might be nice even if it's pool temp. The other sticking point is width, and how narrow is too narrow. I'm thinking 12ft (I.D.) wide is about as low as I would want. Looking at 12ft wide in my living room, and anything more narrow is just not what I'd be after.

Any thoughts?

My neighbor's pool guy added a floating copper ionization kit to their pool a few months ago, and now they say it really helped keep their pool from turning green. They also claim the water feels "Fresher" whatever that means. Is this a gimmick or does this actually do anything other than help control algae?  If it means less chlorine in the water, I could see adding one for the minimal cost that they are on Amazon.  Just curious if anyone else uses it. 

• Like 1

Last year I spent 160k on our 15k gallon pool, outdoor kitchen, fire pit, full bathroom, and all the little stuff that goes with it. Landscaping was another 12k to replace grass (completely replaced all backyard grass with Bermuda tif tuf), add trees and flowers, mulch beds, replace sprinklers, added some gravel, etc.  Projects can vary in price quite a lot due to details and what's included in the original bid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Holy what the fuck are you trying to do to your yard, man?

$150k-$200k?

You doing like a 50x100 rough outline with a 15ft diving waterfall and shit?

That seems ridiculously high at face value. 

At this point we are talking in broad strokes, and I asked him just to give me some numbers that I can work with in my head. So nothing at all close to a firm bid. 

I think that we are going to reach to these guys to get a concept on paper that we can shop for bids: https://www.endlessdesignconsultants.net/

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

16x40 pool w/ spa and sun deck and expanded patio / deck. $106k last September when we signed the contract.

This is along lines of what we are thinking.  How many sqft of decking went down? Any rough estimates on cost per sqft?  Obviously lots of factors...

On 7/17/2023 at 4:16 PM, Dutchrudder said:

My neighbor's pool guy added a floating copper ionization kit to their pool a few months ago, and now they say it really helped keep their pool from turning green. They also claim the water feels "Fresher" whatever that means. Is this a gimmick or does this actually do anything other than help control algae?  If it means less chlorine in the water, I could see adding one for the minimal cost that they are on Amazon.  Just curious if anyone else uses it. 

He basically hooked up a water softener to it.  But it's also introducing metal ions into the pool.  Why would you want to do that?  Those ions do not evaporate, and will accumulate in your water, and on your plaster over time.  Being in Central Texas, you're already having to battle calcium accumulation, so why add in copper to the fight?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

This is along lines of what we are thinking.  How many sqft of decking went down? Any rough estimates on cost per sqft?  Obviously lots of factors...

Houston makes a big difference; you can dig the entire thing in less than a day.  We’re 14x37 iirc, all travertine decking ~450ft^2, massive spa, sun deck, etc.  74k in ’21.  

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

16x40 pool w/ spa and sun deck and expanded patio / deck. $106k last September when we signed the contract.

That’s a pretty good price in this market for that size. Our spa quote alone on ours was $30k or so without equipment because we were already putting heat on the pool. Deck materials and size also make huge difference in price estimates. My wife blew the top off our pool budget with those choices and the expanded patio areas. I don’t even want to add up what we have in our backyard at this point.

Last year we did a 17x38 pool with spa, 6 ft deep, 1700 sq ft of travertine, new grass (zoysia), 27 45 gal eagleston hollys, moved a power line, and a new sprinkler system. I think all in was ~$175k

Considering moving and house I want doesn’t have a pool. Assumed (wrong I guess) that pool expenses had gone down some.

That shelf spa situation is an interesting component. 

It’ll get use in November. Too cold for pool, but still nice out. Heat the spa and shelf to take the crisp out of the water. Also, in the corner of the spa is an umbrella holder. That gives us shade in the middle of the pool. Glass edge makes for a nice bar.

On 7/19/2023 at 9:40 PM, Goofyboy said:

It’ll get use in November. Too cold for pool, but still nice out. Heat the spa and shelf to take the crisp out of the water. Also, in the corner of the spa is an umbrella holder. That gives us shade in the middle of the pool. Glass edge makes for a nice bar.

This is exactly what I want. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/23/2023 at 11:36 AM, Quagmire said:

Wish they made a variable speed spa blower , full speed is too intense.

My spa uses my main variable speed pump and uses the water flowing through the pipes to passively "vacuum" air into the lines for bubbles.  I can set the pump speed to whatever I want in spa mode or just run it at pool speed and divert the water to the spa with a valve.  Maybe you have a similar ability.

On 7/18/2023 at 6:36 PM, freyguy said:

He basically hooked up a water softener to it.  But it's also introducing metal ions into the pool.  Why would you want to do that?  Those ions do not evaporate, and will accumulate in your water, and on your plaster over time.  Being in Central Texas, you're already having to battle calcium accumulation, so why add in copper to the fight?

Because copper kills algae.

Just a quick warning if any of y’all are looking to build/remodel in Austin; avoid Blue Haven Pools.  Had a guy come out to give me a quote on an extensive remodel, he seemed knowledgeable enough and the back of the envelope numbers he was giving me seemed high but reasonable enough to try to get a firm quote.  He said he’d get me a final quote with full details in 3 days.  A week went by, no response, I followed up, no response.  2 weeks went by, followed up again, he responded that he would have it next day.  Another 2 weeks went by, followed up again, no response.  So fuck those guys.

• Hook 'Em 3

Similar thing happened to me. Brothers Pool Company (something like that) in Katy / Richmond came out to the house. Guy had nothing with him (no literature, no business card, nada). Took some pics of my back yard, asked zero questions and left. I never heard back from them, so fuck those guys too. Oh, the kicker - the owners live in the neighborhood.

We've talked with Just Great Pools, Lakeside, and some other company thats name fails me at the moment. Smaller, local to our area, but no red flags yet. Once we bring things closer to ground and narrow down to a few bids, I'll try some anal probing.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Yes, copper does kill algae. However, the concentration required is significantly higher than those devices can offer at peak performance.

I think the idea is that you don't use one or the other by itself. Dunno, I've had good luck with the copper devices, but not nearly as much as with just keeping the filter clean and having the right amount of chlorine.

4 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Similar thing happened to me. Brothers Pool Company (something like that) in Katy / Richmond came out to the house. Guy had nothing with him (no literature, no business card, nada). Took some pics of my back yard, asked zero questions and left. I never heard back from them, so fuck those guys too. Oh, the kicker - the owners live in the neighborhood.

Wife had an acquaintance that used to live over by you, that moved into that huge Tuscan looking house over behind the gates up the street (one that was never finished inside for a few years). Those guys built them a huge gaudy pool and it looks bad ass, even though it’s not one I’d ever entertain myself.  I think their experience was ok, but everything else ive EVER heard hasn’t been good.  I heard they got a decent discount for posting it all over facebook/nextdoor and just constantly jocking it for awhile.  I followed the build thru wife’s Facebook and they were there working almost every day, opposite of every other account I had seen. 

On 7/26/2023 at 11:03 AM, Quagmire said:

Saw that on YouTube , people were saying it was noisy as hell though

TFP with that pic said one of the blower suppliers had tested and recommends a Variable Speed Control (for high load motors) they said worked great as long as kept at 50% or higher to prevent over heating.  Can mount directly to blower via electrical connection box on it.

https://www.amazon.com/KB-Electronics-Variable-Electric-K177-2005/dp/B000F9HHT8/ (Found available at Electric Motor Warehouse ~$32 shipped)

image.png.2f78cfe5b17b0d7cb42749debc1bde96.png

I think I'll give this a go in the upcoming months as we get into "football/spa" season.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So a little over a week ago, the top shell on my 20 year old Hayward DE filter unit burst at the rim.  I call around and authorized Hayward repair guy tells me that they don't make part for that 20 year old unit any more and a new replacement DE filter unit runs $1,500 (equipment, not including labor).  Fuck that!  I check online and see these shell units selling on Amazon and pool supply places for around $600.  I check ebay and find a seller selling a used replacement shell for $100 (+$70 shipping because it's big, bulky and heavy).  I also had to order a new manual safety relief valve assembly for another $100.

The shell was listed as used, but looks like it's brand spankin' new.  I've got it all put together and running great.  I'm just waiting on a 50lb bag of DE powder to arrive to get the pool looking nice again.  It looks like total swamp ass right now.  Joy!

I think I might have an underlying problem with the water circulation system.  I'm hoping someone here might have some ideas to help me troubleshoot this problem.

As described in the post above, my 20 year old DE filter shell recently burst when I was running the pump.  I can only assume that the pressure spiked at some point as I didn't witness the malfunction.

Yesterday, I reassembled the DE filter with a new shell, The water level in the pool was low (well below the level where the skimmer baskets could draw water).  I ran the pump sucking water just from the main drain at the bottom of the deep end with no DE powder in the system.  I just needed to circulate water so I could add some chlorine to the system.  I also started to refill the pool.  After getting air out of the pipes, the system showed normal pressure. 

Some hour or two later, the water level in the pool had reached normal level and I shut to the pump off and opened up the intakes for the skimmer baskets (the skimmer baskets were emptied/clean).  I restarted the pump and had to clear air from the pipes again.  After that, the system appeared to be running normally.  I checked on the pool a couple hours later and noticed that the water on the spa spillway into the pool was just trickling.  I then checked the pressure valve on the DE filter and the pressure was running high.  I shut off the pump, did a backwash for about 30 seconds, and then restarted the pump and the water pressure was once again at normal pressure.  An hour or so later, the spa spillway was once again trickling and water pressure was high.

Any ideas what issue might causing the water pressure to spike as circulation/flow gets restricted over a short period of time from normal operation?  The issue appears to be mitigated for a short period of time (maybe an hour) by running a backwash for ~10 seconds.

44 minutes ago, bernorange said:

I think I might have an underlying problem with the water circulation system.  I'm hoping someone here might have some ideas to help me troubleshoot this problem.

As described in the post above, my 20 year old DE filter shell recently burst when I was running the pump.  I can only assume that the pressure spiked at some point as I didn't witness the malfunction.

Yesterday, I reassembled the DE filter with a new shell, The water level in the pool was low (well below the level where the skimmer baskets could draw water).  I ran the pump sucking water just from the main drain at the bottom of the deep end with no DE powder in the system.  I just needed to circulate water so I could add some chlorine to the system.  I also started to refill the pool.  After getting air out of the pipes, the system showed normal pressure. 

Some hour or two later, the water level in the pool had reached normal level and I shut to the pump off and opened up the intakes for the skimmer baskets (the skimmer baskets were emptied/clean).  I restarted the pump and had to clear air from the pipes again.  After that, the system appeared to be running normally.  I checked on the pool a couple hours later and noticed that the water on the spa spillway into the pool was just trickling.  I then checked the pressure valve on the DE filter and the pressure was running high.  I shut off the pump, did a backwash for about 30 seconds, and then restarted the pump and the water pressure was once again at normal pressure.  An hour or so later, the spa spillway was once again trickling and water pressure was high.

Any ideas what issue might causing the water pressure to spike as circulation/flow gets restricted over a short period of time from normal operation?  The issue appears to be mitigated for a short period of time (maybe an hour) by running a backwash for ~10 seconds.

If still no DE, then this is why. You're not supposed to run without DE.  The grids just clog up faster, and can even become damaged.  This article even says, it will be high pressure within an hour as you descibed:

https://intheswim.com/eguides/de-pool-filters.html#:~:text=The filter grids inside of,up in under an hour.

• Hook 'Em 4

Some concept drawings coming in. I didn't initially like the idea of free form, but it is growing on me and might make more sense in the space we are using.  Both appear undersized in the renderings (free form esp) to me, but dimensions on these renderings are Geometric is 32' x 16'; Freeform is 32' 7" x 28' 4". Not really getting caught up in the decking or pergola situation at the moment, just trying to get scale and basic shape in mind. 

ff-snip1.jpg
ff-snip2.jpg
ff-snip3.jpg
ff-snip4.jpg
geo-snip1.jpg
geo-snip2.jpg