Who is winning the great $9.95 Longhorn streaming wars?

SimkinsMan

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I may have told this at some point, I can’t remember. I am pretty sure @HenryJames was there. 

We all met up in Austin for drinks and dinner one weekend during the early, happy days of the Barking Carnival efforts. Probably 8-10 of us. Anyway, we’re bullshitting at dinner and at some point, for whatever reason, height comes up. Someone asks me how tall I am and I say “6’2”” because, you know, that’s like factually correct and shit. 

Scipio can’t believe it, overhearing the conversation. “No way you’re 6’2”. I’m 6’2”. “ I say, cool, good for you, buddy. He still can’t accept it, bizarrely. It bothers the guy and finally he basically challenges me to a measurement. I would be mocking people having this conversation if I were seated near them and witnessing it. 

Anyway, I eventually capitulate to make it all go away and we stand back to back, in which the impartial judges begrudgingly informed Scipio that, in fact, he might not be fully 6’2”. He refused to believe it. To this day, I don’t know what in the fuck was going on there in his head, but for sure, physical dimensions are a part of his ego. 

Outside of high school sports, that is the only time my height ever proved crucial, winning that height contest in my early 30’s. 

@closetojumping is definitely 6'2" and is frequently mistaken for both Vincent D'Onofrio and Philip Rivers.

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

@statsman can you explain how Bobby is in Austin if he lives in Tennessee? 

Ok, I listened to it. All of y’all are right, and I was so wrong. There is no other thirty minutes packed with more insight and inside knowledge. 

My greatest thanks for steering me right, right to this fountain. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 1

I know we have discussed this stuff before, but some/a lot of the posters on the guru boards are special forms of stupid. I know Surly has its share of complete imbeciles, but wow. I haven't read 247, IT, or OB in forever and a day, so you forget about this stuff. On OTF now and some of it is unbelievable. 

There's the one type of poster who views any opinion other than that coming from a $9.95er as completely ignorable while at the same time hanging on a $9.95er's every word. You can forget about this, but when seeing it unfold in real time, it's a stark reminder of the outsized kind of weight the paid guys carry. That's hard to do with someone weighing close to a metric ton, such as Ketchum, but it's real. There are thousands of readers who think that Ketchum/Boyd/Nahlin/Richardson/FCB/Bohls/Golden are providing them with real insights about the program or recruiting.

Then you have the guys who truly are remarkable in that they appear to be adult humans surviving in society without any basic notion of reading comprehension and critical thinking skills. Whatever is overtly written or said by guys like Bobby or Gerry is only what can be concluded. Nothing else hinted at or vaguely touched on matters, no reading between the lines, just black and white simpleton silliness.

Another type is the guy who thinks everyone needs to see and hear his every thought, usually in the form of a new thread. Tell them otherwise, and you're offending them and they'll start asking the moderators to intervene. These are the worst kind of posters. 

Finally, there's the old guy who is new to the Internet and has no fucking clue how anything works. They're using their real names, they divulge a bunch of personal information, they think things like "I played sports in junior high, I know what I am talking about" and believe that with a straight face. These men wear their old iphones in a case on their hip. They have a keychain hanging from a belt loop with more than 10 keys on it for everyone to see. On weekends, they wear jorts with long white socks pulled up to their knees and their collared shirt is tucked into the jorts. These people are experts on the board who likely know more than even the gurus. They're constantly intervening to correct opinions and they're totally unironic in their intent to shape the board discussions to suit their outlook.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 7

19 hours ago, Thiefery said:

His old handle was Casual Encounter, and yes you were gone.. but Sydney shared the pic to ensure us you were ok..

I still remember when you took a previous hiatus.. you left the board with Sydney and Carl as our insiders.. You returned and scolded us for giving both Sydney and Carl so many rep points... like you were the boards version of Moses who damn us for celebrating our golden calves while you were gone and threw the tablet on us..

Terrific times..

I forget how much rep Carl had before being negged to Bolivia, but I think he still holds the record. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I know we have discussed this stuff before, but some/a lot of the posters on the guru boards are special forms of stupid. I know Surly has its share of complete imbeciles, but wow. I haven't read 247, IT, or OB in forever and a day, so you forget about this stuff. On OTF now and some of it is unbelievable. 

There's the one type of poster who views any opinion other than that coming from a $9.95er as completely ignorable while at the same time hanging on a $9.95er's every word. You can forget about this, but when seeing it unfold in real time, it's a stark reminder of the outsized kind of weight the paid guys carry. That's hard to do with someone weighing close to a metric ton, such as Ketchum, but it's real. There are thousands of readers who think that Ketchum/Boyd/Nahlin/Richardson/FCB/Bohls/Golden are providing them with real insights about the program or recruiting.

Then you have the guys who truly are remarkable in that they appear to be adult humans surviving in society without any basic notion of reading comprehension and critical thinking skills. Whatever is overtly written or said by guys like Bobby or Gerry is only what can be concluded. Nothing else hinted at or vaguely touched on matters, no reading between the lines, just black and white simpleton silliness.

Another type is the guy who thinks everyone needs to see and hear his every thought, usually in the form of a new thread. Tell them otherwise, and you're offending them and they'll start asking the moderators to intervene. These are the worst kind of posters. 

Finally, there's the old guy who is new to the Internet and has no fucking clue how anything works. They're using their real names, they divulge a bunch of personal information, they think things like "I played sports in junior high, I know what I am talking about" and believe that with a straight face. These men wear their old iphones in a case on their hip. They have a keychain hanging from a belt loop with more than 10 keys on it for everyone to see. On weekends, they wear jorts with long white socks pulled up to their knees and their collared shirt is tucked into the jorts. These people are experts on the board who likely know more than even the gurus. They're constantly intervening to correct opinions and they're totally unironic in their intent to shape the board discussions to suit their outlook.

The sad reality is, these kinds of boards of communities need all of those types of people to feel relatively welcome for them to grow. 

The more these guys are called out for their mindless and possibly harmful posts, the less engaged they'll be and the less inviting the community will be for new others to potentially join.

There's value in the Latiolais style of posting if there is a way to keep it from masking the more interesting shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

My personal favorite example of this was in fall camp 2 years ago.  After one particular practice, Anwar reported that Agiye Hall had a great practice and was turning heads with his athleticism.  I remember reading that - knowing that Hall had left practice about 15 minutes in never returned - and realizing just how much of the "reporting" is total conjecture and taking calculated shots in the dark.  

• Haha 9

22 hours ago, Thiefery said:

His old handle was Casual Encounter, and yes you were gone.. but Sydney shared the pic to ensure us you were ok..

I still remember when you took a previous hiatus.. you left the board with Sydney and Carl as our insiders.. You returned and scolded us for giving both Sydney and Carl so many rep points... like you were the boards version of Moses who damn us for celebrating our golden calves while you were gone and threw the tablet on us..

Terrific times..

10CommandmentsWheresYourMessiahNow.gif.ba958c421fb8c7b7e5c65f94e1a19987.gif

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I feel like this entire last paragraph you described a janitor. 

Posted (edited)

It's weird how Bobby Burton, who I understand has no contacts within the UT Football program and is never in Austin, managed to be at the UT Pro Day yesterday.

Edited by kevwun
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Saying Bobby isn't connected is dumb but the multi-day dogpiling in this thread is weird 

No kidding. Especially after the dude responded that he realized he was wrong. But surly gonna surly. 

6 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Saying Bobby isn't connected is dumb but the multi-day dogpiling in this thread is weird 

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

His response was sarcasm at best when he was found to be wrong. Dogpiling continues until his sarcasm is rendered.

spacer.png

• Haha 2

Bobby and Gerry for the win.  That said Bobby needs to hand off the graphics/logo/marketing to a better team.  That "new" logo for OTF is shitty at best.  He needs to modernize and not create a logo that is straight from the "give me phatt beat" video .  IT by comparison looks great.  Nahlin and his product sucks all around.   

Bobby and Gerry for the win.  That said Bobby needs to hand off the graphics/logo/marketing to a better team.  That "new" logo for OTF is shitty at best.  He needs to modernize and not create a logo that is straight from the "give me phatt beat" video .  IT by comparison looks great.  Nahlin and his product sucks all around.   
When your product is superior, your marking oftentimes can be supar and still demand a premium.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
5 hours ago, RollLeft said:

When your product is superior, your marking oftentimes can be supar and still demand a premium.

leonardo-dicaprio-leo-dicaprio.gif

6 hours ago, RollLeft said:

261806.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, RollLeft said:

I don't care how it looks, the content is superior to anyone out there. Content is all I care about, and it's great and best of all it's free. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 9:16 AM, Texasborn91 said:

Plus OTF has the trump of Gerry Hamilton. That dude is the best in the business. 

I think Gerry puts in the miles to have real information and that is why he is so good. On the downside he gets to know some of these kids and their families so well that he gets enamoured with some of the recruits abilities so some of his observations have to be taken with a grain of salt.

16 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I don't care how it looks, the content is superior to anyone out there. Content is all I care about, and it's great and best of all it's free. 

But if their platform is YT he 100% needs to. That kind of stuff brings in the casual fan. The more casual fans that he can bring in it will allow them to keep their content free and away from sub form. 

believe it or not all this stuff is proven by analytics on YT, Twitch, etc. 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

But if their platform is YT he 100% needs to. That kind of stuff brings in the casual fan. The more casual fans that he can bring in it will allow them to keep their content free and away from sub form. 

believe it or not all this stuff is proven by analytics on YT, Twitch, etc. 

It'll get better. It hasn't even been 2 years yet for them, and they've made strides. I think they launched in like June of 22 if I remember correctly (don't rely on my memory). Bobby knows that the look will have to get better, and it will. 

On 3/20/2024 at 10:37 AM, closetojumping said:

Don’t forget those that are completely unable to stay on topic. There will be an in-depth article on the receiving corps and the second post will be, “so how is Billy Walton looking?”  Or “do you think we’ll snag another dt from the portal??”

And Bobby/Gerry/CJ, bless their hearts, usually oblige with an answer even though they’ve undoubtedly covered the topic in another (likely recent) post under the appropriate header. 

• Haha 2

On 3/20/2024 at 10:37 AM, closetojumping said:

CTJ is diving back in at the OTF site! This will be fun to watch.

image.gif.dace34c713287f22714b9edf57b05087.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I’ve been subscribing to OTF and IT. Observations:

Their casts align fairly well:

Ringleader- Burton (OTF), Nahlin (IT). Burton is a more adept host. Who gives more information? Quicker? May be a matter of opinion. 

Ex-player- Babers (OTF), Kelson (IT). Again, a matter of taste. Babers has radio experience, but Kelson has a ten times better speaking voice. Babers, I feel, has a need to fill empty space that Kelson doesn’t. I prefer Kelson; even though he is never asked to carry a show, he usually provides real insights as the talk comes to him. 

Ex coach- Ervin (OTF), Shipley (OTF), Williams (IT). Frankly, I find none of them a must listen. I do enjoy Bobby talking with Ervin during the season. 

Cub reporter- CJ Vogel (OTF), Joe Cook (IT). I find Cook a better listen. YMMV

Recruiting Ace-Hamilton (OTF), Wells (IT). Hamilton seems to bring more, and has a better delivery. Wells? I get it. He’s a “dawg” and he’s from East Texas. Got it. 

Does OTF have anyone like Boyd and Wadlington? I can’t find them, if they do. I like Boyd, when paired with Kelson or Wadlington. Wadlington pairs well with most everyone else. His “Everyone Gets a Trophy” podcast is a must listen, for me. 

I think we’re lucky that we have both channels. I “subscribe” (Apple podcast- my $9.95 is IT) to both, and listen, primarily based on who is talking. If it’s CJ and Babers, I’m out. If it’s Wells and Williams, I’m out. 

Edited by statsman

17 minutes ago, statsman said:

Ringleader- Burton (OTF), Nahlin (IT). Burton is a more adept host. Who gives more information? Quicker? May be a matter of opinion. 

Ex-player- Babers (OTF), Kelson (IT). Again, a matter of taste. Babers has radio experience, but Kelson has a ten times better speaking voice. Babers, I feel, has a need to fill empty space that Kelson doesn’t. I prefer Kelson; even though he is never asked to carry a show, he usually provides real insights as the talk comes to him. 

Ex coach- Ervin (OTF), Shipley (OTF), Williams (IT). Frankly, I find none of them a must listen. I do enjoy Bobby talking with Ervin during the season. 

Recruiting Ace-Hamilton (OTF), Wells (IT). Hamilton seems to bring more, and has a better delivery. Wells? I get it. He’s a “dawg” and he’s from East Texas. Got it. 

Does OTF have anyone like Boyd and Wadlington? I can’t find them, if they do. I like Boyd, when paired with Kelson or Wadlington. Wadlington pairs well with most everyone else. His “Everyone Gets a Trophy” podcast is a must listen, for me. 

I think we’re lucky that we have both channels. I “subscribe” (Apple podcast- my $9.95 is IT) to both, and listen, primarily based on who is talking. If it’s CJ and Babers, I’m out. If it’s Wells and Williams, I’m out. 

I agree on Kelson. Pretty much everything else I disagree on. Boyd is a fucking beating. Hamilton is miles and miles ahead of Wells. Wadlington likes to smell his own farts.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, statsman said:

I like Nahlins informative pieces. Bobby is a good host, but he’s not out there following recruits anymore.  Bobby is super plugged in though and has had loads of great guests on. Hamilton is a badass. Wells regurgates the same info on a prospect in numerous articles. 

IT probably has better content on the forum but OTF has a much better YouTube channel 

9 hours ago, statsman said:

Opinion rendered useless given the bolded. At least you tried.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Bbonds said:

OTF is maybe two months old? Stop comparing content on the boards at this stage; it’s still in its infancy. The way OTF integrates with Surly is a plus.

The only thing you can compare them on is YT at this point especially since OTF's website is like a month or two old. 

OTF is the clear winner on Youtube

As far as owners of a site Burton is so far ahead of Nahlin in this aspect. 

Lets wait and see on the websites. 

As far as covering recruiting it's not Nahlin/Wells vs Burton/Gerry it is Nahlin/Wells vs Gerry/CJ.

The ultimate tie breaker: OTF is affiliated with Surly so get fucked IT.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

Maybe a lot of it depends upon where you are as a fan. 25 years ago, I would have been a lot more interested in following the whole recruiting season as prospects appear, and then sign with Texas or a rival. Now, I only care about the top handful of prospects, maybe a local kid or big national guy.  

If it’s choosing between a podcast discussing Junior Day invites or the radio, I’m probably going with the latter. I probably enjoy the retrospective content more than some of y’all. 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, statsman said:

Agree with some of this and disagree with some. 

Nahlin and Burton, while both the owners/leaders of their respective companies, have completely different roles on streams. Bobby isn't perfect but he's a pretty decent host and facilitator and can bring tons of knowledge of the history of Texas sports and recruiting; no one's been doing it longer. Nahlin though isn't a host. He's very very stiff in front of the camera/mic, and talks fast with a monotone voice. You have to really concentrate on it to process what he's saying.

Agree on Wadlington, somehow he makes Boyd better.

I like Vogel and Cookj but Cook can be a little dry or quiet so a slight nod to Vogel, but then then I really don't understand why his twitter and TFB avatar looks almost nothing like him.

Edited by Viper
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Viper said:

Agree with some of this and disagree with some. 

Nahlin and Burton, while both the owners/leaders of their respective companies, have completely different roles on streams. Bobby isn't perfect but he's a pretty decent host and facilitator and can bring tons of knowledge of the history of Texas sports and recruiting; no one's been doing it longer. Nahlin though isn't a host. He's very very stiff in front of the camera/mic, and talks fast with a monotone voice. You have to really concentrate on it to process what he's saying.

Agree on Wadlington, somehow he makes Boyd better.

I like Vogel and Wells but Wells can be a little dry or quiet so a slight nod to Vogel, but then then I really don't understand why his twitter and TFB avatar looks almost nothing like him.

has Bobby ever lashed out on his own subs in the message boards? Cause I've seen screenshots of Nahlin doing  it