The Acolyte (Star Wars Disney+ show)

mdmost

6 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

Are you off your medication?

Great you like different movies in different order. Chill homie

I just really hate sand and nerd group think that ROTJ is somehow a much worse movie than ANH. 

1 minute ago, Buzzrock said:

Best lightsaber fight, best space battle, slave Leia, Solo rescue, Jabba sail barge escape, speeder bikes, Vader redemption, death of Yoda…but people love to whine about the Ewoks. It’s greatness.

R2 firing Luke's new lightsaber at him as he's flipping off that diving board might be my favorite moment in the trilogy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Y’all dorks from the 70’s love to shit on ROTJ for the Ewoks’ 5 minutes of screen time in what might the most emotional and character evolving movie of the franchise. It brings conclusion to Vader and Palpatine, and the nerds forget it also gave you Slave Leia, whose action figure you used to beat it to every day after you got off the school bus. ESB and ROTJ are 1a and 1b to me. In my stupid opinion, ANH is only loved and important because it was first, not because it was a better movie than the others. I actually rewatch Episodes 1, 3, and 7 far more than ANH, where Luke is a whiney sand boy, the first half of the movie drags on, and gave us a Obi Wan-Vader duel that is epically retarded in hindsight. 

I’m a little confused as to why I was quoted? There’s really nothing you said that I disagree with. I was merely stating that we “kinda” saw some of the “Star Wars is for kids” in ROTJ. It’s a small little window and doesn’t take away from the film at all. I’m a prequel kid btw. 

46 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I just really hate sand and nerd group think that ROTJ is somehow a much worse movie than ANH. 

I think they are both excellent movies. I think ANH gets a bump for starting it all off and being so unique at the time, but love ROTJ. Hell depending on my mood you could jumble up the top 4 in any order and I would agree 

Posted (edited)

I think Clerks made it really fashionable to hate Jedi. I'll always have a soft spot for Jedi because it came out when I was 7 which was the perfect age for it. I was too young to be as obsessed with Empire as I was Jedi. I got more into Empire as I rewatched it over and over. Even with the Ewoks which didn't bother me one bit as a kid, it's still a great ending to the OT. Best space battle, best action sequence with the sail barge, Slave Girl Leia, Luke's green lightsaber, the Emperor being scary as hell, the under construction yet operational Death Star II.  

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

I think Clerks made it really fashionable to hate Jedi. I'll always have a soft spot for Jedi because it came out when I was 7 which was the perfect age for it. I was too young to be as obsessed with Empire as I was Jedi. I got more into Empire as I rewatched it over and over. Even with the Ewoks which didn't bother me one bit as a kid, it's still a great ending to the OT. Best space battle, best action sequence with the sail barge, Slave Girl Leia, Luke's green lightsaber, the Emperor being scary as hell, the under construction yet operational Death Star II.  

Almost all of Jedi works, and the Ewoks don’t take me out of it. Han’s charm and Leia’s WTF it worked incredulity glaze over Ewok silliness.

HIMYM has a unique take on it. Barney uses Ewok cute v Ewok corny to judge the true age of women. Pretty brilliant dialogue from a pretty straightforward sitcom. 

Palps goes from some evil hologram in Empire to full on Sith bad ass in Jedi. This will never stop being awesome. 

Also Lando flying the Falcon through the middle of the Death Star blew my mind. 

Randall made it very clear: picking Empire over Jedi is blasphemy.

A whole series centered around a story that doesn't need to be told.  What could possibly go wrong...

They should've gone way back and gone Old Republic-like.  Get some ancient Jedi/Sith shit going on.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, freyguy said:

A whole series centered around a story that doesn't need to be told.  What could possibly go wrong...

They should've gone way back and gone Old Republic-like.  Get some ancient Jedi/Sith shit going on.

You could say that about any prequel to the movies. Why do Old Republic shows either? You know the universe doesn't end, the Jedi aren't extinct yet. I guess you can show how the Sith and Jedi were abundant and fighting each other but you know how it ends. By that account, Andor didn't need to be made. How about we let the show come out before we summarily dismiss it. 

I'd disagree that a show told from the Sith perspective is actually something more interesting than the typical Jedi based shows. I doubt it leans as heavily into it as I would want but diving more into the Dark Side should be something interesting if done well. Russian Doll was pretty good and she appears to be a fan of Star Wars so I'm hopeful. It's summer. What else do we have to do? 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

I have a bad feeling this is going to be like Willow. I hope it doesn’t. I can overlook stupid shit to some degree (Flea-little Leia chase, not walking around the laser barrier) if they give me moments like the Vader-Kenobi fight/Ashoka-Gen. Anakin Skywalker scenes).

Making Sabine shitty, Ezra being stupid/lame, Ashoka’s poor decisions, and Thrawn being stupid/lame, the map being stupid to solve, it was a little much and hard to overcome some of the better aspects, night sisters, baylon, gold/worn out armor.

On 6/2/2024 at 9:06 AM, Nivek said:

I have a bad feeling this is going to be like Willow. I hope it doesn’t. I can overlook stupid shit to some degree (Flea-little Leia chase, not walking around the laser barrier) if they give me moments like the Vader-Kenobi fight/Ashoka-Gen. Anakin Skywalker scenes).

Making Sabine shitty, Ezra being stupid/lame, Ashoka’s poor decisions, and Thrawn being stupid/lame, the map being stupid to solve, it was a little much and hard to overcome some of the better aspects, night sisters, baylon, gold/worn out armor.

debbie downer GIF

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2024 at 12:13 PM, mdmost said:

I swear we didn't used to be this nitpicky over a trailer. 

The Force Awakens trailer broke us, along with the 2009 Star Trek trailers.   We thought we were getting this super awesome movie with Han and Leia and instead it ruined the happy ending of ROTJ with JJ Abrams showing us that they’ve been miserable for years and that Han’s own son kills him in cold blood.  With Star Trek we thought we were getting a unique take on Kirk’s younger years, and instead we got some alternate timeline bullshit that broke canon and confused casual fans.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 3

One of these days, a lot of people are going to wake up to realize just how badly they got played by the online outrage machine and outrage algorithms. If you're predisposed to hate something, there's a YouTube channel, online forum, or Twitter follow for you to reinforce your beliefs. 

I'm just hoping she can write better dialogue than Filoni. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Didnt happen when Critical Drinker shit all over the Predator Hulu movie, only to be completely wrong.

He even reversed course. But shitting on something from the sidelines is easy and safe. That’s why it is so common.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

Didnt happen when Critical Drinker shit all over the Predator Hulu movie, only to be completely wrong.

He even reversed course. But shitting on something from the sidelines is easy and safe. That’s why it is so common.

I used to watch/listen to his earlier stuff - some amusing videos, but he discovered that there’s more money to be made pretending to be triggered over genders and diversity than actually delving into a movie’s shitty writing or acting.  Every time one of his videos pops up on my feed, it is probably him pretending to be triggered.

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I used to watch/listen to his earlier stuff - some amusing videos, but he discovered that there’s more money to be made pretending to be triggered over genders and diversity than actually delving into a movie’s shitty writing or acting.  Every time one of his videos pops up on my feed, it is probably him pretending to be triggered.

I actually think he’s pretty good about giving credit where credit’s due. 

Just finished E1. It’s average at best. The acting is terrible even for Star Wars. It feels like it was written by a high schooler. People loved Trinity so here’s Trinity in a Jedi robe and the fight scene is choreographed from a cut scene from The Matrix. Ugh. Let’s also give away the twist in the first 30 minutes because it sucks.

Now to E2. I really hope it gets better otherwise I won’t make it to E3.

• Hook 'Em 2

E2. You know what Star Wars was missing? An obese Jedi. I do kinda want to see him fight. Hopefully he sticks around.

This show has no budget and it shows. The sets are terrible.

I don’t know what I think yet. It didn’t get any worse than E1 but it didn’t get any better. I guess if I don’t forget about in a week, I’ll watch the next episode.

I fear this show will feed all the incel reviewers. It looks like when the first white male shows up he’ll be the big bad.

The first white male was the monk Jedi. 

I enjoyed it. I think there will be a lot more to this than the twist. She said in interviews that what you think is the case really is not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The first two episodes were okay.

The sets seem fine, and the acting feels stilted. It's the dialogue that's below average: I don't know why Osha had to tell the padawan for a second time that she's a meknek to explain why she had an idea to fix whatever was going on with the ship at the beginning of the second episode. The actor playing Mae's partner-in-crime is really terrible. 

We'll see where this goes, and I'll continue to watch. After all, I've invested nearly 50 years of my life into the Star Wars franchise, beginning when I saw A New Hope for the first time at the age of five in the theater when it was first released. I don't think I'll ever stop watching whatever they crank out.

• Hook 'Em 2

And what is up with this infatuation with Trinity? I was in Jr High when The Matrix came out and never really understood why so many folks seem to get worked up about some actress who isn't even remotely attractive. If someone posted a picture of her on the celebrity wtf thread, I wouldn't question whether or not she belonged there. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

And what is up with this infatuation with Trinity? I was in Jr High when The Matrix came out and never really understood why so many folks seem to get worked up about some actress who isn't even remotely attractive. If someone posted a picture of her on the celebrity wtf thread, I wouldn't question whether or not she belonged there. 

I think CAM was objectively hit in 1999

What you are presupposing is that you are blind?

I think CAM was objectively hot in 1999

What you are presupposing is that you are blind?

2nd episode was better than the first, maybe the different writers helped. I’m not a fan of all the king fu fights, and I have many of the same gripes others have posted, but we’ll see where it goes. I’m curious about the villain.

Surviving a crash from space is pretty silly but whatever.

11 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Are people obsessed with her? I referenced Trinity because it seems like the writer and director just made a Jedi version of a Matrix-style Trinity fight. I was waiting for her to put one hand behind her back and make the Mae girl start punching in slow motion. Then a Jedi Neo flies in to remove the bullet, I mean knife, from her chest and start her heart back up. 

I consume all Star Wars content, but I’m not impressed through 2 episodes. Dialogue is lazy, half the actors seem like amateurs, some of the dialogue and context seems very contemporary and Millennial-driven while this was supposed to be set 100 years before Episode I. Did society fall into some kind of Dark Ages on Yoda’s watch where they socially and technologically regressed?

• Hook 'Em 1

watched first episode.  main girl seems OK actor especially given the dialogue.  I can tell I am going to be really annoyed with the 2 jedi/padawan that are with the older Jedi dude.

it's gonna get raked over the coals and the twin thing is really lazy.

Watched the first episode: Pretty meh. Please hire a writer to fix the dialogue and get some average to above actors to act. I like the main protagonist. Story is so/so. Something is off about it, but I'll watch more because it's Star Wars.