2024 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Who’s a JAG now?

sith_horn

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Park Gothic said:
  • Blue seemed (emphasis on seemed) to have a lot of attitude problems coming into the program. Do we know he's gotten over them? Success can trick guys into thinking their work is done, and Blue seems like a sucker in that regard.

See for yourself:

I thought he handled himself well in the interview.  I'm not worried at all about his commitment to the team.  

Edited by bejezuz
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

See for yourself:

I thought he handled himself well in the interview.  I'm not worried at all about his commitment to the team.  
Blue never had an attitude problem, it was the media (and us to a degree) projecting that sort of thing onto him because he skipped his senior year. We sort of had the same concerns about Quinn as well if we dig deep in the memory banks..

These days I'm not sure a 5* skipping their senior year would cause such speculation..but probably would anyway.
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, ousux said:

Blue never had an attitude problem, it was the media (and us to a degree) projecting that sort of thing onto him because he skipped his senior year. We sort of had the same concerns about Quinn as well if we dig deep in the memory banks..

These days I'm not sure a 5* skipping their senior year would cause such speculation..but probably would anyway.

He also announced (not sure if he officially entered) that he was going to the transfer portal after his 1st year 

• Haha 2

He also announced (not sure if he officially entered) that he was going to the transfer portal after his 1st year 
So everyone who doesn't see a path to starting and enters the portal has attitude issues? Apparently Blue's wasn't too bad since he was either talked into coming back and/or allowed to come back if he decided on his own.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Bevo said:

First, I'm going to get up and chase the wife around the house. She is pretty good between the tackles, but cries like a little girl when she is taken to the turf. So, I plan on losing that fight. Then, I think I'll make some migas. I love that shit on game day. Next, I'm going to grab a beer and hang-out by the pool and grab a little barbeque. Then, I'll go to the game fat drunk and happy and hopefully hang out upstairs in the air-conditioned lounge if it is open. I'll grab a few more drinks and get the wife liquered up. We will probably leave sometime around the end of the third quarter. And if I don't get too buzzed and tired from the heat, I'll chase the wife around again where I think I will win on the second go round. I'll then fall asleep and dream of the upcoming season. Good times.

Can I be like you when I grow up 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ousux said:

So everyone who doesn't see a path to starting and enters the portal has attitude issues? Apparently Blue's wasn't too bad since he was either talked into coming back and/or allowed to come back if he decided on his own.

You are on this board too frequently to not have read the 1000 discussions and updates, many contemporaneously, about Blue's travels to be this fucking ignorant. Holy shit.

• Haha 5

You are on this board too frequently to not have read the 1000 discussions and updates, many contemporaneously, about Blue's travels to be this fucking ignorant. Holy shit.
Browsing the board and occasionally posting isn't the same as paying attention. Guess I missed all the Blue controversy. I knew about him entering the portal, but also know he came back out pretty quickly. If the coaching staff didn't want him around he would be somewhere else doing his thing.

1 minute ago, ousux said:
3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Browsing the board and occasionally posting isn't the same as paying attention. Guess I missed all the Blue controversy. I knew about him entering the portal, but also know he came back out pretty quickly. If the coaching staff didn't want him around he would be somewhere else doing his thing.

The guy didn't enter the fucking portal. No one is arguing that the coaching staff wants the guy around. Get a fucking clue here, man.

You said everything was based on him skipping his senior year. That isn’t true. 

Nobody is saying he shouldn’t have been let back on the team, and it was clearly a good choice by all involved. That doesn’t mean there weren’t a ton of red flags that had him on a short leash. 

• Hook 'Em 1

You said everything was based on him skipping his senior year. That isn’t true. 
Nobody is saying he shouldn’t have been let back on the team, and it was clearly a good choice by all involved. That doesn’t mean there weren’t a ton of red flags that had him on a short leash. 
Maybe there were, I wasn't aware of them. In fact I was always surprised by the lack of waves he caused based on what we thought he was going to be like. I watched a podcast interview with him (4th and Longhorn?) a little while back where he explained why he skipped his senior season. Of course that could be complete bullshit but sounded sincere and reasonable the way he explained it.

13 minutes ago, Hookem10 said:

Can I be like you when I grow up 

Don't do it - Grow up - Or be like me. Live off your parents for as long as they will let you and for god sakes don't work unless their allowance doesn't fully cover dates, alcohol and hotels.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, ousux said:

Maybe there were, I wasn't aware of them.

Pro tip, if you don’t really know what you are talking about, try to avoid declarative statements like:

39 minutes ago, ousux said:

Blue never had an attitude problem, it was the media (and us to a degree) projecting that sort of thing onto him because he skipped his senior year.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, ousux said:
19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

8.2K posts, you should know better. 8.2K posts isn't browsing and occasionally posting.

Edited by Longhornlove
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:
8.2K posts, you should know better.

I posted a lot of angry rants on the shag during the Chuckie/Tom years, nothing worthwhile.

So what's changed?? haha

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bejezuz said:

See for yourself:

This felt like the first 3&L interview that was just a bunch of softball PR questions for an NIL guy. I mean, I know all the players on there are getting NIL (which is a good data point), but Blue's not as polished as the other guys and there's more off-the-field stuff that just got glossed over. 

16 minutes ago, ousux said:
17 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Pro-tip: If you're going to call someone out then provide examples of why what I said is wrong. Nobody has done that so far..

No one is trying to go into any depth with you because you aren't worth the effort with this kind of bullshit. You're misinformed and blathering voluminously as though what you're spewing has any value for the discussion. It doesn't. You've been pathetically wrong here while first trying to cast aspersions with certitude, and now you're crawfishing with the bitch ass "tell me why I'm wrong" nonsense. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

No one is trying to go into any depth with you because you aren't worth the effort with this kind of bullshit. You're misinformed and blathering voluminously as though what you're spewing has any value for the discussion. It doesn't. You've been pathetically wrong here while first trying to cast aspersions with certitude, and now you're crawfishing with the bitch ass "tell me why I'm wrong" nonsense. 
I somehow missed any discussion of Blue being some sort of team cancer, guilty as charged.

15 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Too bad vices are prohibited with NIL because Johnny walker could cover blue, Red, and black.  And then get Johnny walker also. 

We can do a surly promo where they sponsor surly and we do a deal with them. Surly can do the alcohol promo and they can promo surly 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

30 minutes ago, ousux said:
49 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I somehow missed any discussion of Blue being some sort of team cancer, guilty as charged.

No one said that either, dum dum. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

This felt like the first 3&L interview that was just a bunch of softball PR questions for an NIL guy. I mean, I know all the players on there are getting NIL (which is a good data point), but Blue's not as polished as the other guys and there's more off-the-field stuff that just got glossed over. 

They pay NIL for these? 

22 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

This is the kind of shit that pisses me off. 

I said it seemed like Blue had an attitude problem and even called out that it was how things seemed. I did not even assert that it was reality, just appearance.

You rocked up into the conversation and said that Blue never had an attitude problem and that this board was shitting on him for stupid reasons. You got called out for being wrong, demanded that other people prove you were wrong, then when that happened you acted like your ignorance was more valuable than other people's knowledge. Now you're pulling this motte-and-bailey bullshit where you pretend people were attacking the kid and calling him cancer. No one said that, and in fact we soft pedaled it as much as possible.

You're not really a bad poster, but this is a terrible series of posts and you should probably shut the fuck up for a bit. 

Today I learned about mottes and baileys and also the motte and bailey fallacy. 

45 minutes ago, immamac said:

We can do a surly promo where they sponsor surly and we do a deal with them. Surly can do the alcohol promo and they can promo surly 

Mother fuckers are still arguing and completely missed this 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, immamac said:

They pay NIL for these? 

Sorry, I don't mean that they're being paid for the appearance. I have no inside info but from my google, Shuley started CFC and has helped with TOF in some way so he's tied in. And the guys they've brought in were Hill, Moore (Shuley talked about starting the food truck), Cook, etc. from the '23 class and now Simmons from '24 plus a number of vets that we know have had at least some kind of NIL support. So my guess is it's TOF-adjacent, not that they're being paid for their appearance itself. 

4 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Sorry, I don't mean that they're being paid for the appearance. I have no inside info but from my google, Shuley started CFC and has helped with TOF in some way so he's tied in. And the guys they've brought in were Hill, Moore (Shuley talked about starting the food truck), Cook, etc. from the '23 class and now Simmons from '24 plus a number of vets that we know have had at least some kind of NIL support. So my guess is it's TOF-adjacent, not that they're being paid for their appearance itself. 

It’s also not a terrible idea to get our guys some media experience on friendly terms.  I watched Jamaal Charles being interviewed at a high school all star game, and I thought this guy won’t last 2 semesters.   3/4 years later he was a different person.  

17 hours ago, Bevo said:

The important question is who will be in the game on fourth and one when the season is on the line.

Hopefully the guy who has been gashing the defense all game long. It was the right call. D just stepped the fuck up. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 7:49 PM, Spider2YBanana said:

It's not good hearing Baxter losing a fumble. I assumed that would have been fixed afrer the Washington fiasco. Kid needs to get it together. Plenty of time to get it fixed. 

I read an article today that the author (I have no idea who it was) was adament that Blue would end up being the #1 back due to him having another gear and he's running between the tackles. I wish I would have saved it. Fml. 

I felt Blue should've gotten the larger share of opportunities behind Brooks last year and never understood why he didn't.  It seemed to me that Gerry Hamilton went out of his way to downplay Blue's qualities in favor of Baxter. I guess he was getting that view from his contacts on the staff because the imbalance in usage between the 2 last season never made sense to me.  

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I felt Blue should've gotten the larger share of opportunities behind Brooks last year and never understood why he didn't.  It seemed to me that Gerry Hamilton went out of his way to downplay Blue's qualities in favor of Baxter. I guess he was getting that view from his contacts on the staff because the imbalance in usage between the 2 last season never made sense to me.  

Blue entered the portal last offseason and fumbled the ball when we were trying to run out the clock against Wyoming. It’s not a mystery why it took him time to earn more touches. 

in fact IIRC @Hookem2147 proclaimed that fumble against Wyoming would be Blue’s last ever carry at Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, ousux said:
15 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Pro-tip: If you're going to call someone out then provide examples of why what I said is wrong. Nobody has done that so far..

The examples you are looking for are literally scattered throughout multiple post on this site. It's ok to be wrong, just accept it and try harder next time.

2 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Or, you know, it's just that Sark and the staff really like Baxter.  It's not a conspiracy and that seems like some revisionist history re: Blue. 

I agree that CJ was solid and not spectacular last year. He also seemed to be banged up the whole season. Lots of talent behind him on the depth chart. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

in fact IIRC @Hookem2147 proclaimed that fumble against Wyoming would be Blue’s last ever carry at Texas. 

I do remember saying that. I thought that was the last straw. Had a few garbage time carries against Baylor and Kansas after that before registering 0 touches against OU and Houston. Got 2 carries for 11 yards against K-State after Brooks’ own turnover problems then registered another 0 touch game against TCU with Baxter getting every carry after Brooks went down. Savion Red was seeing the field more at this point, granted it was mostly in a specialized package.

If Brooks doesn’t go down with 2 games left we are definitely having a different conversation about Blue. But credit to him for taking advantage of the opportunity.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Blue is gone in 10 months anyway. 3rd -4th rounder. He’ll split carries to start the season but be our bell cow by OU. Hopefully the staff isnt dumb enough to start Wisner over him or some shit like they did to Brooks last year

giphy.gif

Fucking offseason, man. Look, I hope Blue wins the fucking Heisman. But if he broke a tackle last year, I don't remember it. Last year he showed he was a great change of pace back, but definitely not a bellcow. Bellcow RBs are practically extinct anyways. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Adding Bailey and Motte to the RB mix really complicates things. 

I heard Bailey is a primadonna anyway and will probably hit transfer portal as soon as it opens.