Texas Basketball 2024-25

I agree with the need for a big man. My hope was that we would have lucked into one who had some nastiness/strength to him. Someone who is not afraid to go in there and push people around. I’m not sure who that would have been though. 

• Like 1

UCLA freshman big man Berke Buyuktuncel hit the portal today, and he's a name to know for Texas fans. The 6-9, 240 pound power forward is from Turkey, and the Horns have someone on staff (yep, that high flyer) that has connections to players in Turkey. 

Is he talking about Dogus Balbay?

On 4/30/2024 at 9:34 PM, CTC2 said:

I agree with the need for a big man. My hope was that we would have lucked into one who had some nastiness/strength to him. Someone who is not afraid to go in there and push people around. I’m not sure who that would have been though. 

I'm still hoping we throw our hat in the ring with Rutgers center Cliff Omoruyi.

12 hours ago, cafe society said:

I'm still hoping we throw our hat in the ring with Rutgers center Cliff Omoruyi.

I think that dream may be dead. He's currently on his final visit at UNC right now.

On 4/26/2024 at 8:29 AM, HookEm said:

image.thumb.png.77397881328a50ef093ec591bb899c12.png

image.thumb.png.e4d8f77c18b732697909092598d863ca.png

This dude should be our #1 target right now. He would immediately change the potential of the team. He is one of the top rebounders in the country, particularly on the offensive glass.  Was also the Sun Belt defensive player of the year before going to Miami. And he can score inside and outside the paint.  

Break the bank and do what is needed with NIL to go get him.

Baylor.

• Rage+1 2

Lol.  If Baylor got him then we 100% had a shot to get him. 

Oh well, if we could pull JT Toppin that would be a great alternative  We could potentially get 2-3 years of Toppin and he also is 6'9 vs. Omier' 6'7.  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, HookEm said:

Lol.  If Baylor got him then we 100% had a shot to get him. 

Oh well, if we could pull JT Toppin that would be a great alternative  We could potentially get 2-3 years of Toppin and he also is 6'9 vs. Omier' 6'7.  

This was reportedly not about NIL. Winning a recent national championship comes with some perks.

8 hours ago, Js1 said:

Yeah Baylor looks stacked and Drew can coach. If you don’t care about the money, it’s not a bad place to end up 

Exactly. With some hard work and a little bit of luck, they just might make it past the second round of the tournament for the first time in 3 years. 

Toppin and the Utah big would be a good big man haul. Toppin and the Turkish guy from UCLA (who didn't exactly have an impressive year) would fine as long as the later doesn't shy away from crashing the boards and can provide a little interior defense. 

I read that we might also be kicking the tires on Trevon Brazile.   If that's true, he could provide some instant familiarity/chemistry with Mark and great PF/C flexibility.

I admittedly have no idea if any of these guys have character red flags.  

SEC announced home/away bball games (no dates yet):

https://www.secsports.com/news/2024/05/2024-25-sec-mens-basketball-conference-opponents-announced

We play Arkansas, A&M, and OU home and home and the rest are either home or away.  Barnes comes to Texas, we go to Beard.

Texas

Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
Georgia
Kentucky
Missouri
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Texas A&M
at Arkansas
at Florida
at LSU
at Ole Miss
at Mississippi State
at Oklahoma
at South Carolina
at Texas A&M
at Vanderbilt

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

SEC announced home/away bball games (no dates yet):

https://www.secsports.com/news/2024/05/2024-25-sec-mens-basketball-conference-opponents-announced

We play Arkansas, A&M, and OU home and home and the rest are either home or away.  Barnes comes to Texas, we go to Beard.

I wonder if rivalries will eventually match permanent opponents in football or if that will be separate.

Texas - Arkansas, OU, A&M

A&M - LSU, OU, Texas

OU - Texas, A&M, Mizzou

Mizzou - Arkansas, OU, Vandy

LSU - Arkansas, A&M, Ole Miss

Arkansas - Texas, Mizzou, LSU

Ole Miss - LSU, Miss State,  Auburn

Miss State - Ole Miss, Bama, South Carolina

Bama - Auburn, Miss State, Kentucky

Auburn - Bama, Ole Miss, UGA

Kentucky - Bama, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Vanderbilt - Tennessee, Kentucky, Mizzou

Tennessee - Kentucky, Florida, Vanderbilt

USC - UGA, Auburn, Florida

UGA - Auburn, Florida, USC

Florida - UGA, USC, Tennessee

Man, the league has been giving us some VERY favorable scheduling in football and basketball to start things off.  Most of our tough matchups are at home besides the Home & Aways.  The top-3 teams in the conference are going to be home only games, plus Kentucky.

Below are the CBS, On3, and ESPN early rankings...

Home Only

• Alabama (#9, #1, #6) - #1 SEC
  • Auburn (#10, #9, #12) - #2 SEC
  • Tennessee (#16, #20, #20) - #3 SEC
  • Kentucky (fringe top-25) - #8 SEC
  • Georgia - #12 SEC
  • Missouri - #14 SEC

Home & Away

• Arkansas (#23, UR, #19) - #7 SEC
  • Texas A&M (#11, #22, #11) - #10 SEC
  • Oklahoma - #15 SEC

Away Only

• at Florida  (#17, #17, #15) - #4 SEC
  • at South Carolina (fringe top-25) - #5 SEC
  • at Mississippi State (fringe top-25) - #9 SEC
  • at Ole Miss - (fringe top-25) - #11 SEC
  • at LSU - #13 SEC
  • at Vanderbilt - #16 SEC
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, most of us will be dead by November 2025.  For 2024, it's Legends with Tech, Syracuse, and Saint Joseph's.  They usually do a good job of arranging it to the two higher ranked teams are set up to meet in the title game, but we're all about even with Syracuse and Texas Tech with Saint Joseph likely being the weaker link.  Make of that what you will.  We got Ohio State in Las Vegas and then I think some other 'neutral site' game in Houston.  I think we may have one half-ass decent home non-conf game for the first time in years.  But don't hold your breath.  And the usual smattering of directional schools.  I still remember that one year where Shaka managed to not have one single Texas school on our non-conf. slate and it really pissed off the UT System/BOR.  And of course he lost to Rider or some such bullshit team.  

Anyway, our home SEC slate looks pretty good, but not terribly exciting.  The newness of Moody and Rodney Terry and the SEC league is gonna wear off at some point.  So I hope there's a long term plan to sell that place out and make it loud. 

Yeah, forgot about that.  

UCONN, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Kentucky will be our marquee home matchups.  A&M, OU, Georgia, Mizzou, Auburn, Alabama making up the next tier.  And then a buncha other shit.  

I'm assuming we'll still play 17 home games?  9 conference and 8 non-conference?  With 3 neutral site games?  

On 5/1/2024 at 8:17 PM, gsoda3 said:

Is he talking about Dogus Balbay?

Nice catch... Missed that news in February

"According to Inside Texas, Balbay joined the Texas Longhorns staff in a "support capacity" and will strive to help the team.  The Turkish guard does not have a specific job description, but he is tasked with aiding coach Rodney Terry, who once coached Balbay, in developing and mentoring players during the long NCAA season."

15 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, forgot about that.  

UCONN, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Kentucky will be our marquee home matchups.  A&M, OU, Georgia, Mizzou, Auburn, Alabama making up the next tier.  And then a buncha other shit.  

I'm assuming we'll still play 17 home games?  9 conference and 8 non-conference?  With 3 neutral site games?  

A&M, ou, Auburn, and Alabama will also be marquee home games. 

UGA might be a decent crowd because of name alone. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, justhookit said:

Yeah, this is a great schedule compared to previous years.

been waiting on a schedule like this for a hot, hot minute. one of the funnier parts of my passion for this program is how happy it makes me when i can’t get into the building. there might have been two games ever at the FEC where i couldn’t find a ticket that i could afford. i anticipate that number doubling if not tripling this fall alone.