Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

3 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Every big managerial decision that Espada has made has blown up in his face. He is going to be lucky to last the season at this rate.

3 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

This is what I said last night.

theyve just about all been justifiable…but they’ve just about all backfired

Yep. What's just as worrying to me is how lost he looks in the dugout ... like there's no real plan. But who knows. If they were winning, I guess he could look lost AF and it wouldn't bother me at all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Overlord said:

I think I heard there’s about 40 mil left on his contract. 

Has any team ever eaten that amount anywhere near that?

We should be the first. 

Chris Davis is the obvious compare…

Let’s let Bagwell, Brown and Espada see the back of his baseball card. Be sure to read all the way to the bottom

from March 2023:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/justinbirnbaum/2023/03/27/forget-bobby-bonilla-chris-davis-leads-mlbs-highest-paid-retired-players-in-2023/?sh=3cf62fc63373

With $5.6 million in retained salary and $9.2 million in deferred compensation, Davis will earn more than any player currently on the Orioles roster. He will also receive roughly another $56 million through 2037.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:
Is this just an event to but the same shit you can buy anytime?

No they are selling seats (saw a set of Diamond Club seats) and stuff. Probably old banners etc.

Edited by Scraps

The whole "back of the baseball card" stuff is why we're 6-14, its the front office mentality and a ton of the fanbase. We look like shit and getting worse but "don't worry we will be fine because of the past" attitude isn't fixing the issues we have currently. The players have it and the manager has it too. I would love for them to turn it around and then say now check the back of the baseball card motherfucker. But reality is you can't just keep saying that and think it's just gonna turn around. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Listened to a lot of complaints today on talk radio.  (Warranted)  

What do you think about this line up change (a few people suggested this)

1. Bregman 2. Pena 3. Altuve 4. Yordan 5. Tucker ............

Just now, Rip76 said:

I would rather go

1. Altuve
2. Pena
3. Alvarez
4. Tucker
5. Diaz
6. Myers
7. Bregman
8. McCormick
9. Black Hole Sun

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I saw RoFlo bring up leading off Bregman.

I think that is a horrible idea, but we are 6-14 so what the fuck does it matter at this point....shake it up and lets ride

1. Dubon 
2. Diaz
3. Alvarez
4. Altuve
5. Tucker
6. Pena
7. McCormick
8. Bregman
9. Loperfido, the a-holes on the big league squad ain’t getting it done lose with some young dudes, let them see some real deal pitching. 

47 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Altuve is having an MVP caliber season leading off.  Bad idea jeans to mettle with that.  I would be ok with Pena moving into Bregman’s spot for an experiment.  But mainly, Meyers and Singleton need to play every day.  If Dubon needs playing time, take it from McCormick or Bregman until they wake up.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Altuve is having an MVP caliber season leading off.  Bad idea jeans to mettle with that.  I would be ok with Pena moving into Bregman’s spot for an experiment.  But mainly, Meyers and Singleton need to play every day.  If Dubon needs playing time, take it from McCormick or Bregman until they wake up.

Dubon to 1b.  Chas/Bregs are better than Simpleton. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Yeah your first point is what I just came to post 
Sure, let’s disrupt the best part of this shitty season so far. 
im not sold with singleton  playing everyday but have been saying for a bit that Meyers needs to play more.

what happened to this?

Earlier in the offseason it was Espada who called Jake Meyers from the winter meetings to ensure that Meyers understood the direction the team was taking his playing time. Meyers said Espada’s alignment with general manager Dana Brown’s announcement made him feel better about what was to come. 

“The player hearing from the manager carries more weight and more reassurance when he hears it from the manager — 100 percent,” Espada said.

https://www.si.com/mlb/astros/news/houston-astros-joe-espada-showing-players-straight-shooter-matt9

• Hook 'Em 1

Headed to DC tomorrow and will see the Friday and Sunday games. When I scheduled this trip, I did not think the Nationals would have a better record than the Astros.

Hopefully they can turn this season around starting tomorrow.

24 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Well at least we arent the only team that calls up pitchers who then get hammered. Leiter 3 2/3 7ERs today in his debut

Except he has an offense and bullpen (so far) that has his back.

Edited by UTexasFight

3 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

We really should find out if Dubon and/or Caratini can play 1B or sign Brandon Belt IDGAF but I want someone at 1B who can post a >= 0 WAR

Gonna take a whoooooole lot longer than 3 weeks/ 50 ABs for them to cut bait on Abreu 

9 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Except he has an offense and bullpen (so far) that has his back.

Hey now, the Astros offense bailed out Henley from getting an L in his first .1 innings!  If only we could play the Rangers more often we could be a 95 win team lol. 

lolwat
Nitkowski is a moron but still
Doesn't like his body language and made reference to a fly out by someone when he was on 1st the other night and he just walked back to dugout to get his glove instead of running it out. Said "Rendon vibes". Then threw Yordan under the bus too saying he on a routine ground out and runs like 60% to 1st.

6 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Doesn't like his body language and made reference to a fly out by someone when he was on 1st the other night and he just walked back to dugout to get his glove instead of running it out. Said "Rendon vibes". Then threw Yordan under the bus too saying he on a routine ground out and runs like 60% to 1st.

Tell me you haven’t watched either one of these guys the last 4+ years without telling me. 

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Does this team ever get back to .500 and if so, when do we think that happens? Before the break? After?

Riiiiiight at the break. Then a mad dash for a WC. I hope. I hope I'm wrong and they rebound faster. 

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Does this team get back to .500 and if so, when do we think that happens? Before the break? After?

I think the construct of the team means they'll be streaky--it wouldn't surprise me for them to get back to .500 and then go on a losing streak and drop back down again. 

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Does this team get back to .500 and if so, when do we think that happens? Before the break? After?

arguably we played a difficult schedule, but we also got swept by KC.

2nd worst record in AL.

The schedule is a little soft for the next 8 games.

May is filled with 17 games against the As, Mariners and Angels.

If we aren't .500 by then I would say full blown panic mode.

• Hook 'Em 2