Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, hornmpa96 said:

2 years ago, the Astros had the best pitching staff in baseball and now, it’s possibly the worst.

This version of it has been.

How about this version (and what I would absolutely do if I was Espada- no fucking around with Brown, France or Spaghetti again until you have to) of a staff- I can't imagine it will be bad: 

JV Thursday

Friday off

Saturday- Blanco,

Sunday Framber,

Monday off

Tuesday Javier.  

Wednesday- JV

Thur- Blanco

Friday- Framber

Saturday- France/Brown/Spaghetti/Bielak- whichever you think will suck least

Sunday- Javier

That's 10 calendar days where you should only expect 1 shitty start.  Make that happen- fire Abreu into the face of the sun- send Singleton along with him- rotate C/1B between Caratini, Dubon and Diaz, move Bregman down to the 6 hole or something like that and lets see if that lineup/team can fuck.

Altuve/Pena/Alvarez/Tucker/Diaz/Bregman/Chas/Caratini/Dubon.  Make that the lineup for a solid week to go with that rotation and I bet we win more than 1/3 of our games. Boom- problem solved Espada.

I'm sure that's not what they will do.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

How about this version (and what I would absolutely do if I was Espada- no fucking around with Brown, France or Spaghetti again until you have to) of a staff- I can't imagine it will be bad: 

JV Thursday

Friday off

Saturday- Blanco,

Sunday Framber,

Monday off

Tuesday Javier.  

Wednesday- JV

Thur- Blanco

Friday- Framber

Sunday- Javier

When’s Javier eligible to come off the IL?

I agree that the pitching situation improves once we get Framber and Javier back. That means Arrighetti and either France/Brown come out of the rotation which would be huge.

Absolutely agree on the lineup. What they do with Abreu and Singleton will tell us a lot about the intelligence level of the current organization. I’m extremely concerned that it’s going to reveal that Reggie Jackson and Jeff Bagwell are booger eating morons.

Also, when will Josh Miller tell his pitchers to stop wasting a pitch by throwing 2 feet outside the plate? It seems like all of the Astros mediocre pitchers get 2 strikes on a hitter and then throw 1 completely non-competitive pitch which evens the count. It’s an epidemic among this staff.

Edited by hornmpa96
Added Miller comment
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

When’s Javier eligible to come off the IL?

I agree that the pitching situation improves once we get Framber and Javier back. That means Arrighetti and either France/Brown come out of the rotation which would be huge.

Absolutely agree on the lineup. What they do with Abreu and Singleton will tell us a lot about the intelligence level of the current organization. I’m extremely concerned that it’s going to reveal that Reggie Jackson and Jeff Bagwell are booger eating morons.

Also, when will Josh Miller tell his pitchers to stop wasting a pitch by throwing 2 feet outside the plate? It seems like all of the Astros mediocre pitchers get 2 strikes on a hitter and then throw 1 completely non-competitive pitch which evens the count. It’s an epidemic among this staff.

Monday the 29th- off day- so him pitching Tuesday is perfect.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

JV Thursday

Friday off

Saturday- Blanco,

Sunday Framber,

Monday off

Tuesday Javier.  

Wednesday- JV

Thur- Blanco

Friday- Framber

Sunday- Javier

That's 10 calendar days where you should only expect 1 shitty start.  Make that happen- fire Abreu into the face of the sun- send Singleton along with him- rotate C/1B between Caratini, Dubon and Diaz, move Bregman down to the 6 hole or something like that and lets see if that lineup/team can fuck.

Altuve/Pena/Alvarez/Tucker/Diaz/Bregman/Chas/Caratini/Dubon.  Make that the lineup for a solid week to go with that rotation and I bet we win more than 1/3 of our games. Boom- problem solved Espada.

I'm sure that's not what they will do.  

I wrote down everything you said, lineup wise,this morning almost for word. I’d bat Bregman 7th just to either piss him off or embarrass him into giving a fuck. Bring up Salazar as 3rd catcher and play Caratini the majority at 1B until we find one. Send Singleton and Kessinger packing. I didn’t consider the pitching rotation because suck gonna suck, and I like your premise, but I don’t think Javier is available. Excellent thoughts though.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

I wrote down everything you said, lineup wise,this morning almost for word. I’d bat Bregman 7th just to either piss him off or embarrass him into giving a fuck. Bring up Salazar as 3rd catcher and play Caratini the majority at 1B until we find one. Send Singleton and Kessinger packing. I didn’t consider the pitching rotation because suck gonna suck, and I like your premise, but I don’t think Javier is available. Excellent thoughts though.

Brown said abundance of caution and he's eligible to come off the IL Monday night before the Tuesday start I had him penciled in. He also strongly intimated Framber was going down in Mexico. If neither of those things happen I'm going to assume in the future every time his mouth opens up he's lying.

I actually like Arrenghetti- I think he's got some swing and miss stuff. Of course- Hunter Brown used to- I have no idea where that shit went to. 

Offense has not been the problem; pitching has been the problem.  Our best, what, 6 or 7 starting pitchers have been hurt. The starters we have used have been shitty.  France and Brown have been unexpectedly shitty.  The back end of our rotation has been REALLY unexpectedly shitty.  Abreu, Pressly and Hader were supposed to be the strength of the team.  We have a giant hole at first base, offensively and defensively, but this team could weather that and have a much, much better record.  The pitching has just been very bad.  We get our starters back from injuries and if the back end guys haven't all just turned to complete shit never to return, then we should be in the playoff hunt.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Offense has not been the problem; pitching has been the problem.  Our best, what, 6 or 7 starting pitchers have been hurt. The starters we have used have been shitty.  France and Brown have been unexpectedly shitty.  The back end of our rotation has been REALLY unexpectedly shitty.  Abreu, Pressly and Hader were supposed to be the strength of the team.  We have a giant hole at first base, offensively and defensively, but this team could weather that and have a much, much better record.  The pitching has just been very bad.  We get our starters back from injuries and if the back end guys haven't all just turned to complete shit never to return, then we should be in the playoff hunt.

Our offense has been a massive problem. If it could score 5-7 consistently and not 0-3 we would at the least be .500 right now. Pitching and bullpen and scoring being all shit at the same time is the biggest problem. We just plain suck dick. But to say our offense hasn’t been an issue makes me ask how many games you’ve actually watched this year? How many games do we have 1-2 hits through 5 innings? Pitching doesn’t matter if you can’t score and put pressure on the other pitching staff.

• Hook 'Em 2