immamac has permabanmed me against bob’s wishes. read this thread before it disappears.

I didn’t make the thread. Derka obviously wants to post about the tournament and people want that this isn’t a goodbye thread this is a thread to maintain a level of openness on what is going on. 

16 hours ago, troph said:

You and I could banter back and forth ok. Hey that’s a stupid take. Ok. Folks goat him into a reaction so they can argue with him and tell him how much he overreacts. The goal isn’t to converse but to cause the reaction and then blame him for it.  It’s more about intent. You tell me my take is stupid you’re probably pretty genuine about it. Those constantly goating derka do it to get the rise then slam him for it. Then tell him to take a break for his mental health. It’s fucking gas lighting and it’s bullying.

*goad / goading / to goad

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

I don' think we can ever 100% agree on anything besides OU hate and cancer.

Wait. Are we for or against cancer?

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

so you either trust bob’s judgment or immamac’s

Star Trek Kirk GIF

5 hours ago, Armybrat said:

WTF is VPN?

I barely know what IP is from the IPIHB forum.

IP is Internet Protocol. It's how computers talk to each other all around the world. IP Address is your computer's address. It's 4 numbers between 0-255.

You'll note that's only 4 billion possible addresses, when there's definitely more devices than that in the world. So to allow more computers to talk, we have Private Networks. That little box that your internet company uses to connect you to the internet creates a private network -- you can have a bunch of devices in your house, each has its own address, but they all show the same IP Address to the rest of the world when they connect outside of that. So all the devices in your house show the same IP Address to Surly when they connect to it, and that box (the "router") your internet bozos gave you knows which device to send traffic to.

[Nerds: Yes, I know about IPv6. We're not going there today. Neither is the rest of the world LOL]

Now VPN is Virtual Private Network. It's like the private network in your house, but it does some funky things to make it look like your computer is actually in Sweden or the Bahamas or even someplace really obscure like Canada. When you connect to e.g. Surlyhorns.com from a VPN, the IP looks different from the one that's at your house.

4 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

JFC

@JFKFC?

3 hours ago, troph said:

How could I forget pilots error. Silly me. 

IMG_4534.jpeg

Ooooh, that guy. Yeah I don't know what his problem is.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Derka obviously wants to post about the tournament and people want that this isn’t a goodbye thread this is a thread to maintain a level of openness on what is going on. 

Have you really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

I've been around since Shaggy but mainly as a lurker for sports but also for other topics and purposely stay off CR and appreciate the mods shutting down discussions that should be in CR - if I want that shit, I go to other sites. Talking shit - outside of the "normal" Surly shit most people give each other on here which I actually appreciate - should get you banned...  His site, his rules...  It's the frigging internet - who cares if you and you momma and a mod had discussions.  Go somewhere else if your feelings get hurt and you can't take it - you got thousands of other choices... (Yea, I'm old school but tough shit...) I've never blocked anyone and just ignore stupid people or just ignore those disagree with - at least on here. Opinions are like assholes - everyone has one but I can chose to ignore what I want... That's what the scroll wheel is for on your mouse. Bye Derka! Play with fire and get burned...

12 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

*goad / goading / to goad

No

*she / her / hers god dammit.

Yeah I figured that one out. I failed all my spelling tests, sue me, I dare ya. Ha.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Not so fast, my friend - you probably assumed I typed all that with my fingers, didn't you?

Dammit you used chatGPT and it hallucinated ? 

41 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Speaking from personal experience, it can sometimes be hard to know when trying to defuse a situation with humor is a helpful and appropriate approach, and when it's just throwing gasoline on the fire. To me, this falls squarely into the second category.

I would like to think that if given the benefit of hindsight and an opportunity to go back in time ~36 hours, Derka and Immamac would each choose to do things differently both in terms of what led to this situation, but especially in terms of what's happened and how they've conducted themselves as it's unfolded. 

I don't think it's right for there to be such a gulf between what a moderator (and former site owner) promises and what the current site owner does instead, but I also don't think it's reasonable to expect Immamac, Blacklab, and all other mods to always be constantly up in each others' shit. We can't expect a hive mind to exist between them. They all have lives outside of Surly. 

Running a message board is thankless work. Immamac takes a lot of crap (mostly good natured, I think) when the tech side of things fuck up, but I don't think he ever gets the equivalent amount of appreciation when things are running smoothly. And that's wholly separate from the babysitting of personalities and all the human drama bullshit that he presumably has to endure. 

So thanks for doing all the tech shit and dealing with the drama too, @immamac. Your time and efforts are appreciated more than we collectively acknowledge.

But I think you've misplayed your hand here pretty significantly. 

And Derka - you take a lot of shit. Far more than anyone should have to. It's bullshit that the onus is mostly on you to change, but your coping, maturity, and self-awareness has improved dramatically over the years. I hope this doesn't come off as condescending, but you've made tremendous progress - don't throw it all away in a tantrum here. 

And it stinks that you feel betrayed by the "bait and switch" that you perceive between Blacklab's approach to the situation and Immamac's. But to borrow a phrase from The Wire, the price of the brick has changed.

Derka - just accept the imperfect solution of blocking your tormentors. Immamac - Derka certainly earned himself a timeout, but please rethink the permanence of it. Both of you can do better with each other. 

I think there's still a lot of room for sensible resolution and more mature behavior by both sides here, and I hope you both can see how you could have handled things differently and better, and how you each owe each other an apology. You can swallow a little pride, give each other the benefit of the doubt, and build a bridge and get the fuck over it, or else you can stick to your guns and needlessly fuck things up all over the place and shit on the rest of the community in the process. 

Banned. 

• Haha 8
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Over the past years, I’ve moved into directing larger and larger teams and eventually a hard truth has to be learned all around: when things go sideways, it matters less about who was in the right and more about who’s more willing to cooperate to fix stuff. Not always satisfying but that’s how it is. 

I haven’t been around near as long in this community and haven’t got the history with Derka. He loves his school and adds a lot.

To put it in hoops terms, Derka, I know it looked like the three was open. It wasn’t and you can take the layup or come away with nothing. Just try out the ignore feature and then if it doesn’t work, you’ll likely find more receptiveness to your preferred solution. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

26 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Running a message board is thankless work. Immamac takes a lot of crap (mostly good natured, I think) when the tech side of things fuck up, but I don't think he ever gets the equivalent amount of appreciation when things are running smoothly. And that's wholly separate from the babysitting of personalities and all the human drama bullshit that he presumably has to endure. 

So thanks for doing all the tech shit and dealing with the drama too, @immamac. Your time and efforts are appreciated more than we collectively acknowledge.

just want to emphasize this. i almost posted something along these lines yesterday but decided to refrain...but yeah, sometimes i observe the drama or bitching that goes on and i'm just like wtf, as far as i know imma's not only doing this for free, it's actually costing him money, he's got a regular life, and job, and family, this is his spare time 'hobby' i assume, and it's pretty damn smoothly run all things considered. he has no analysts or QA/QC or testers, there are thousands of members, not to mention the organization of HHs, road trips, tailgates and NIL stuff in recent years...all ultimately to benefit the Texas Longhorns

and me, bc i love this community and frankly it's the only place that kept me out of a really deep, dark hole during covid.

i do know he has help, but ultimately he voluntarily took on a pretty unwieldy and unthankful role. maybe he did it for the fame lol. but my reaction is often 'holy crap' at the amount of shit he puts up with.

and i have made a point several times in the past to acknowledge and thank him for the efforts, exactly for the reasons you say, @Prepuce of Doom

in this particular instance, while i honestly pay no attention to basketball, i am pretty familiar with the online melodrama and persecution complex often played out with the poster. more than once i have thought 'oh my gawd just shut up and get over it already!' 🙄 while also 😆 at the whole thing. and i actually drafted something yesterday expressing that in this thread but didn't post it, bc I just thought 'meh, dude obviously has some more serious issues, he probably shouldn't be on surly at all with his sensitivities' and decided not to.

ultimately i don't have to put up with any of this, it's my choice and everybody else's to even be here. the owner can do as he pleases. i would be pretty distraught if i were banned (DON'T YOU DO IT!!)...but i'm pretty thick-skinned and also don't make a point of being a PITA to a guy that is basically just doing all of this for shits and giggles. 

🤘

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Welshy said:

Credit where credit is due, I like Shadow_Operative2.0's tennis contributions.

*Please don't ban me until after I win the surly bracket. Thx. 

Look out, 2.0 will go unhinged Gatling gun on you confusing him with 1.0. Crazy but a different kind and confirmed not derka. You’ve been warned, now duck.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Grimas said:

who cares if you and you momma and a mod had discussions

This is the most bizarre point of this whole escapade.  Someone actually involved their mother in a Surly argument and the mod took that in stride and crafted some sort of detente that included input from a posters MOTHER….  What the actual fuck?

Truthfully it has me dumbstruck and questioning some life decisions.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

9 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

This is the most bizarre point of this whole escapade.  Someone actually involved their mother in a Surly argument and the mod took that in stride and crafted some sort of detente that included input from a posters MOTHER….  What the actual fuck?

i mean in general you live in the same deplorable basket as Sack but i broke my personal rule and pos-repped this because...yeah.  

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i mean in general you live in the same deplorable basket as Sack but i broke my personal rule and pos-repped this because...yeah.  

Feel free to take it back and put me on ignore. Or don’t.  But save the condescending horseshit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

7 minutes ago, mchookem said:

If both of y’all were paying attention, the young man has health problems and mental health issues. He can’t really work and lives at home still. Bob was concerned with bullying and had personal interactions with derka and it included his mom, the most important relationship in his life. When I meet folks to talk about important shit, my wife might be there because she’s the most important relationship in my life. It really doesn’t take a lot of understanding or effort to get what happened. Especially when you realize some of us have no issue meeting folks from here IRL and Derka and Blacklab are in that camp.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Would you say you are incredulous?

1 minute ago, troph said:

If both of y’all were paying attention, the young man has health problems and mental health issues. He can’t really work and lives at home still. Bob was concerned with bullying and had personal interactions with derka and it included his mom, the most important relationship in his life. When I meet folks to talk about important shit, my wife might be there because she’s the most important relationship in my life. It really doesn’t take a lot of understanding or effort to get what happened. Especially when you realize some of us have no issue meeting folks from here IRL and Derka and Blacklab are in that camp.

Frankly, I don’t have issue with someone who needs help getting help.  

Generally, I don’t consider the possibility someone is going to involve their mother in situations where I spend my free time.  I’m glad to mix it up and have taken shit and given it.  I wasn’t being a wiseass when is said it has me pretty dumbstruck.  I generally have not interacted with Derka but this makes alot of sense based on what I have seen.  I just thought he was a different kind of guy.

I guess its a risk of semi-anonymous interaction.  

51 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Frankly, I don’t have issue with someone who needs help getting help.  

Generally, I don’t consider the possibility someone is going to involve their mother in situations where I spend my free time.  I’m glad to mix it up and have taken shit and given it.  I wasn’t being a wiseass when is said it has me pretty dumbstruck.  I generally have not interacted with Derka but this makes alot of sense based on what I have seen.  I just thought he was a different kind of guy.

I guess its a risk of semi-anonymous interaction.  

Tell me you don’t have an ability to empathize with others and see a situation from another’s perspective without telling me you can’t or don’t. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, troph said:

Tell me you don’t have an ability to empathize with others and see a situation from another’s perspective without telling me you can’t or don’t. 

No, I directly said I haven’t considered that another poster could need help from their mother to post on Surly.  Knowing that now I would not interact with Derka adversely.  Picking on someone with a handicap is bullshit and I don’t do that.

By the same right the general tenor of this place is irreverent.  If it gets to a place where mothers start being involved there is a serious issue that needs a solution.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

No, I directly said I haven’t considered that another poster could need help from their mother to post on Surly.  Knowing that now I would not interact with Derka adversely.  Picking on someone with a handicap is bullshit and I don’t do that.

By the same right the general tenor of this place is irreverent.  If it gets to a place where mothers start being involved there is a serious issue that needs a solution.  

I get you. Thanks for clarifying.

Pretty sure it’s not gonna be common place - moms meeting with people that is.

I have sympathy and empathy for those with mental health issues having dealt with close relatives who have spent years being bipolar (hello Rusk!) and cyberbullying.  But airing them on a public forum isn't the place in my opinion. Take it offline/out of the public domain! I do appreciate/applaud Blacklab reaching out to the gentleman  - as I think most people would do especially if they knew they could have prevented someone from causing physical harm to themselves... 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, mchookem said:

2 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Feel free to take it back and put me on ignore. Or don’t.  But save the condescending horseshit.

IMG_2525.jpeg.349a6fd3394610e83dd2d04916392ed9.jpeg

• Haha 3