The Ultimate roadtrip Initiation song

Hornius Emeritus

The scenario: you're heading out on a road trip for vacation. It doesn't matter where you're headed, but someplace in nature, where you'll be out in the sun. Maybe the coast, maybe Big Bend. You just iced down two cases of microbrew in the cooler in back. It's 5:45 a.m. but you don't care one whit about the neighbors and their so-called "sleep."  You're faced with the first important decision of the trip, one that will everything else that happens and, in fact, the entire overall vibe of the journey: what song do you play first?

There are worthy contenders:

But none of them beats this chestnut:

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Ease the seat back, indeed.

I also love this for a road trip, but because of my college days it always reminds me of drugs.

"Promises me I'm as safe as houses, as long as I remember who's wearing the trousers"...great lyric in my book.

LA Woman is good for late night driving to keep you awake

Edited by DixonHur

16 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I gotta go with "Saturday Night's Alright."

What an awesome song and an awesome guitar riff.  Check out his performance at the Library of Congress Gershwin Prize tribute concert to Elton & Bernie from earlier this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think I started to play ^^^ this track on long hauls because of the Road Trip scene in "Field of Dreams" when he's heading into Boston.  My junior year of high school, my buddies and me drove from Chicago to Yosemite and back and would start each leg of the trip with this song for some reason, always stayed with me: 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, I hate that song.  All the worst features of classic rock.

Curious to know why.  What "features" don't you like.

It's certainly a simple song, but it's pretty catchy.

Not saying it's a classic.  It just happened to be on Dave's "mix CD" (I didn't even know that was a thing back then but he had a fancy burner), and the trip went well.  so we made it our thing for a couple of other subsequent trips after that and would always start each leg with that song for luck.  I have very specific playlists now for when we take the girls somewhere or I go driving outta town for work or for an airplane ride or what have you.  Most songs are out of nostalgia, even if they're not that great, from childhood road trips, high school/college, when wife and I were without kids, etc.  

Most people associate certain songs with an event, or who they were with, a lot of my catalog is precisely where I was on a desolate highway 30 years ago.  

I meant no insult, and like most people, much of my "taste" is erratic.  I mean, I love "MmmBop", for pity's sake.

Something about "Spirit In The Sky" strikes me in a similar way that "People Who Died" does, or everything The Doors ever released does.  Simplistic, blues-referencing meh.  Not my thing.  But I shouldn't have said it, that's not the point of this thread.  Mea culpa.

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I meant no insult, and like most people, much of my "taste" is erratic.  I mean, I love "MmmBop", for pity's sake.

Something about "Spirit In The Sky" strikes me in a similar way that "People Who Died" does, or everything The Doors ever released does.  Simplistic, blues-referencing meh.  Not my thing.  But I shouldn't have said it, that's not the point of this thread.  Mea culpa.

Jim Carroll's "People Who Died"?

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

yeah.  I know it's more punk rock in a sense, but it still doesn't resonate with me.

I just think it's a real different thing than Spirit In the Sky or The Doors.  None of those are songs that I would kinda group together mentally, I guess.

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

I just think it's a real different thing than Spirit In the Sky or The Doors.  None of those are songs that I would kinda group together mentally, I guess.

Yeah, pay me no never mind.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

No, it's a fair point.

I am a huge Doors fan, and like the few Jim Carroll Band songs I've heard so I guess it's right up my alley, lol.

• Haha 1

White Freightliner Blues -TVZ. 

King of the Road - Roger Miller

I've been to a Georgia on a Fast Train - Billie Joe Shaver. 

Road to Nowhere - Talking Heads

Roadrunner - Bo Diddly

And for the way home…

I Wanna Go Home - Van Morrison, Lonny Donegan, Chris Barber. 

20 hours ago, HouTex said:

Jessica

I don't know if it's because I'm old, but at 5:45 am, I don't want any music.  I'd want to enjoy the solitude of being surrounded by the darkness and quiet for the beginning of the trip.  Perhaps after my first stop to fill up and get something to eat, after the sun is up, then this is the first song on my playlist.  It's the perfect road trip song.

• Hook 'Em 1